Forza Motorsport (2023)

Mexicola9302

I wonder if the Top Gear test track will make a return in the new Forza Motorsport? I mean, it's been featured in every Motorsport game since FM4, it wouldn't surprise me if the track made its way into the new game as well, maybe as part of a free update if the track isn't included at launch.

Harwood Butch3r

Unlike Starfield where I had some concerns/worries that came true (at least for me) I have no such for this game.

Admittedly I haven’t followed it too closely, but man. I can’t believe it’s coming out in a little over 2 1/2 weeks.

I think I’ll get the premium upgrade (or whatever it’s called) for the 5 days early access.

I feel this is going to be Microsoft’s best exclusive of the year IMO,  but it seems to be getting the least talked about which maybe isn’t a bad thing. It’s not being overhyped too much.

Edited by Harwood Butch3r
  • Like 2

I'm sorta the opposite, the more I see of it the more I remember why I lost all interest in sim racers. The racing experience just looks painfully dull from the videos.

A video I watched the other day had the same classic Forza racing experience, the main pack is slow as f*ck then 1st, 2nd and 3rd take off like rockets and then your race is overtaking those over a few laps. There's pit stops now but pit stops for me only really work when you have like a 15+ lap race, which is great if you're one of those people who like to crank the laps up but my interest in longer laps lives and dies by the career mode and sadly based on what I've seen so far the career mode is once again the generic "series" format, so it feels less like a career mode and more like a challenge mode where you just tick off boxes.

It's on GP so I'll be giving it a go, it certainly won't be bad, but it based on the preview footage so far for me it just looks like all the sim (and hell, arcade racers) I've been seeing for years, the same tired career modes.

Moonshine Wagon Fan

Pre-install available now.  132.10 GB size on the Series X.

• Like 3

Harwood Butch3r
4 hours ago, Covered Wagon Fan said:

Pre-install available now.  132.10 GB size on the Series X.

I was watching YouTube earlier today on my tv and my Series X turned itself on and I was like WTF?

As it turned out that’s what it was doing pre-installing the game. I forgot I had it switched to automatic updates and sometimes it does that.😛

Atleast it’s installed now.

• Like 2

Moonshine Wagon Fan
On 9/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Harwood Butch3r said:

I was watching YouTube earlier today on my tv and my Series X turned itself on and I was like WTF?

As it turned out that’s what it was doing pre-installing the game. I forgot I had it switched to automatic updates and sometimes it does that.😛

Atleast it’s installed now.

It will take over 4 hours for it to install for me.  Bloody internet.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, Harwood Butch3r said:

Unlike Starfield where I had some concerns/worries that came true (at least for me) I have no such for this game.

Admittedly I haven’t followed it too closely, but man. I can’t believe it’s coming out in a little over 2 1/2 weeks.

I think I’ll get the premium upgrade (or whatever it’s called) for the 5 days early access.

I feel this is going to be Microsoft’s best exclusive of the year IMO,  but it seems to be getting the least talked about which maybe isn’t a bad thing. It’s not being overhyped too much.

I was going to get the Premium Add On Bundle, but Assassin's Creed Mirage is out on the 5th of October so I will play Forza Motorsport on the 10th.

Must get my steering wheel up and going again.

Less than two weeks to the green flag for standard edition players, and less than one week to the green flag for those who are going down the premium road.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give it a whirl since it's out in a couple of weeks time. Haven't played a Forza game in yonks so i'll be rusty as f*ck no doubt. Is it up for pre-install now on GP PC?

• Like 1

Harwood Butch3r

I left it to the last minute, but I finally got the premium upgrade.

Let’s do it. 😎

• Like 2

Moonshine Wagon Fan
5 hours ago, Harwood Butch3r said:

Let’s do it. 😎

Nice 👍

• Best Bru 1

I'm going to skip the premium upgrade for this. Although interested in FM my excitement has dipped. Nothing to do with the game, just my own craving or lack thereof for a racing game right now.  I know when I start seeing people releasing videos and see some online play I'll get sucked in. 

• Like 1

Got it pre-loaded too, though no premium upgrade or anything for me for this. I'll be giving it a whirl at some point once I find space in my schedule for it, I've got no shortage of stuff to play at the moment.

Darth_Cruiser
10 hours ago, Harwood Butch3r said:

Let’s do it. 😎

does the premium upgrade have early access

Premium edition or bundles are five days early, I believe. I'm not that arsed about all that, to be honest, as I don't really play many FM games or racing in general.

Moonshine Wagon Fan

Currently getting a score of 84 on Metacritic.

• Like 2

Looking at the reviews and gameplay, I'm very disappointed that this is what they've come up with after the long wait since FM7. For context I've played every Forza game (except 1 and 5) casually, so this isn't a "hurr durr hardcore gamer angry" post.

1. The vehicle performance upgrade system locking parts behind levels looks awful. Who on earth wants to spend 2-3 hours straight grinding each car just to unlock the ability to put performance parts on it??

If this is their idea of progression, then idk wtf Turn10 is smoking 🤣  grinding != progression   This is just going to cause MORE players to gravitate towards meta cars in multiplayer instead of giving people a reason to experiment with different builds. Fun!!! I cant believe the numpties from the Xbox playerbase who were invited to closed tests over the last 2 years gave this the thumbs-up.

2. Woeful lack of many modern racing cars like the GT3 class. All you can hope is that they might eventually show up through content updates (or worse still as paid DLC).

They also have the same inaccurate eons old hand-modeled vehicles like the S15 Silvia, R32 GT-R, Golf R32, etc. Built from the ground up indeed 🫠 Why cant they take the time to remodel some of these older models? Polyphony Digital could, yet Turn10 with Microsoft's massive coffers couldn't 🙄

3. UI looks like ass imo. Has zero soul, and it looks like it was lifted from a mobile game in certain menus.

GT7 has many faults, its UX isnt one of them. Its visual presentation is superb. I think FM4's was the last menu system I really liked from Forza as a whole.

===

On a positive note I see that the career mode, as lackluster as it is, does feature a section with a rotating race-series list that I presume acts like Forza Horizon's Forzathon. Should give folks who aren't interested in multiplayer some decent content, and in general give the players a way to explore the game's vehicle variety.

Vehicle handling just looks like the same old Forza, which is both a good and bad thing. Good: feels great, easy to get into. Bad: close quarter racing is going to be a minefield because cars tend to "stick" to each other when they come in contact. It doesnt seem to be as severe as it was in FM7, but its still there.

I've preloaded the game pass version to try it myself next week, but I suspect I'm probably not going to give the game much thought afterwards since I have GT7, Assetto Corsa, etc.

For folks who only have an Xbox, I guess this is your only option when it comes to an all encompassing track racer. Grim, and it also means that the game will "succeed" or w/e in Xbox' eye since there's no alternative. The platform deserves better. Hopefully Assetto Corsa 2 can deliver something better.

• Like 1

_M0arHnLDgFT.png

7 minutes ago, Dock said:

1. The vehicle performance upgrade system locking parts behind levels looks awful. Who on earth wants to spend 2-3 hours straight grinding each car just to unlock the ability to put performance parts on it??

If this is their idea of progression, then idk wtf Turn10 is smoking 🤣  grinding != progression   This is just going to cause MORE players to gravitate towards meta cars in multiplayer instead of giving people a reason to experiment with different builds. Fun!!! I cant believe the numpties from the Xbox playerbase who were invited to closed tests over the last 2 years gave this the thumbs-up.

There is a video/stream of one of the people leading the game talking about how he essentially wants to move away from the collectathon style of car game (aka Horizon) and make Motorsport more about the journey and connection you have with specific cars.

Seems like they took a sledgehammer to the problem. Horizon's issue is that it throws cars at you, credits are relatively hard to earn in comparison. Should be making it so using specific cars is rewarding and then stop throwing cars at people left right and centre and you'll solve most of the issues of Horizon's collectathon design there and then.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

There is a video/stream of one of the people leading the game talking about how he essentially wants to move away from the collectathon style of car game (aka Horizon) and make Motorsport more about the journey and connection you have with specific cars.

Then they even failed in that aspect because it looks they've adjusted the game's economy: the most expensive cars in the game are capped at 500k credits to give you an idea of the scaling, and you can earn roughly 10-20k per event (and 2x that if you bought VIP membership, because ofc you do lol), so you'll end up getting whatever cars you want fairly quickly anyway!

I only see this as some sort of lazy attempt at forcefully lengthening the time you spend in game. If it was locked to this system just within the game's career mode (the "builder's cup" as they call it), then sure, its an okay enough idea. But nah, this affects everything :/ WORSE STILL: your car progress is tied to that SPECIFIC INSTANCE of that vehicle. If I have two of the same car, the progress is not shared between them, which is mind boggling to me.

Back in Forza Motorsport 4 they employed this system called Manufacturer Affinity: the game would reward you for sticking with a certain brand through money, special cars, etc. That was a neat system to sort of make you try every brand at the very least. They could've done something similar to that, anything but this lol

A good review of the game for anyone that wants one. He's played Forza a lot, then switched over to GT (since FM went radio silent for all these years lol), he races on the Nordschleife IRL, etc. Just a good review based on his thoughts as a series veteran with clear and simple language.

Edited by Dock

_M0arHnLDgFT.png

Harwood Butch3r

I’ve only only played it for a couple of couple hours, but here are my impressions.

I think it’s a solid entry in the series, but to me it feels similar to how I felt after playing Forza 5 in 2013. 

A solid base to work off, but it’ll need a fair bit of post launch to support to get to something great. I don’t know if this was necessarily intended to be a reboot of the series, but in someways it feels like it.

The new upgrade system will be divisive, but to be honest I prefer it to the homologation stuff from 7. I’ll let others judge for themselves.

I don’t mind it or atleast the idea, but if you’re used to the Horizon series or most other racing games where it’s possible to build a monster of a race car off the bat (providing you have the credits) you may be disappointed with this new system.

When it comes to the actual driving experience since I have about 370 hours in GT7 this game feels more like NFS Shift or something to that extent. I was hoping it would be a bit more sim like since the Horizon series fills the arcade void, but it is what it is I suppose. It’s not bad, but compared to GT7 it feels worlds apart IMO when it comes to the moment to moment experience.

It’s a good game, but don’t go expecting anything revolutionary or needle pushing. I won’t give a score until I’ve played it for a few more hours though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harwood Butch3r said:

I don’t mind it or atleast the idea, but if you’re used to the Horizon series or most other racing games where it’s possible to build a monster of a race car off the bat (providing you have the credits) you may be disappointed with this new system.

I haven't experienced it for my self yet but I think the problem with this system is that it takes away your choice.

Early game it might be fine, but mid-late game when you do have credits and do have cars? Then it could become very tedious. Mid to late game you might want to start developing project cars, say a car you earn or buy and you upgrade it and kit it out and give it a race debut where you're driving it for the first time in a race, tuning it based on practice/quali, etc.

I appreciate  that they've tried to make it so your car and your journey with it tells a story but the problem I see is that they've done that by forcing you to tell a specific story with a car, have a specific journey, and in a games like this I don't think that's a particularly good idea.

Edit: honestly, reading PC performance talk, the most alarming thing for me is that this game sounds wholly unfinished on PC, there's even stuff like DLSS/FSR not performing correctly which is what lol. How they messed that one up I dunno, I know they're different studios but Horizon 4 and 5 are gold standard PC ports, surely they can help out?

• Like 1

Harwood Butch3r

So after playing some more of it here are some gripes I have. Albeit most of these are minor and don’t necessarily break the game, but I thought I’d bring them up.

-The visuals look far too washed out to the point where everything looks like it’s been dipped in Vaseline. However I do believe the devs have acknowledged this is a bug/glitch and it’ll be fixed in an update probably when the game officially launches, but still it looks pretty bad at times.

-The lack of tracks in general. I do like the new tracks that have been added, but the omission of some famous tracks has me scratching my head like Mount Panorama which has been in every Forza game since 3 I believe.

-The main menu is how to describe it is….very bland. It technically functions of course, but it feels like something from a mobile game. That pretty much goes for all the menus. 

It lacks flair and substance. An engaging U.I is extremely important to me, but this one is the worst in any Forza game yet IMO.

Those are my three main gripes with the game, but when I push those aside and play it it’s still really fun like Forza games usually are. Free play and its range of options to set up different kinds of races is still really cool and I can see myself doing that if I tire of the career mode.

I know I said I wouldn’t give it a score until I played a few more hours, but ATM I’m leaning more towards a 7-7.5 out of 10 which I think is fair.

It has a lot of room for improvement and I trust Turn 10 will improve with future updates hopefully addressing some of my gripes or what others are experiencing.🙂

I typically don't get hot and bothered by downgrade talk cause optimisation is inevitable and I'd prefer a game to run well above all else, but...

There's some really jarring changes in that. Game still looks good of course but the trackside stuff they showed off in 2022 is basically either gone or changed significantly in the final game. For example the trackside fair that was all lit up at night is in complete darkness here, also cones and plants/foliage that were next to the track are now completely gone. Small stuff but when they showed this stuff off to showcase how a track feels and looks to race on, it's quite a big change.

Have also seen comparisions with FH5 and yea idk, it's not that FM looks bad, it doesn't at all, the fidelity is very good, but it doesn't look quite right either. As Harwood said the washed out look is pretty bad, blacks are very grey, especially on cars themselves, but more than that the game just doesn't pop at all like Horizon does. I'll have a better judge of it when I play it but from footage and screens it looks really good and yet visually boring at the same time. It's weird.

This is the reason why I hate when games are shown off so early before the actual release ... there'll always be downgrades and cut stuff that it's just annoying for the players and fans. It happens with almost every game.

• Realistic Steak! 1

I've seen a few mentions that if you want to do a certain car build, you have to start at level 0 again. Wouldn't it make sense in that regard to just level up the manufacturer?

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that if you reach 50 with one car and want to buy the same one again, you'll need to start from 0 and level it up to do a new build. Wasn't there something like affinity levels in the older titles?

Edited by lndex
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I typically don't get hot and bothered by downgrade talk cause optimisation is inevitable and I'd prefer a game to run well above all else, but...

There's some really jarring changes in that. Game still looks good of course but the trackside stuff they showed off in 2022 is basically either gone or changed significantly in the final game. For example the trackside fair that was all lit up at night is in complete darkness here, also cones and plants/foliage that were next to the track are now completely gone. Small stuff but when they showed this stuff off to showcase how a track feels and looks to race on, it's quite a big change.

Have also seen comparisions with FH5 and yea idk, it's not that FM looks bad, it doesn't at all, the fidelity is very good, but it doesn't look quite right either. As Harwood said the washed out look is pretty bad, blacks are very grey, especially on cars themselves, but more than that the game just doesn't pop at all like Horizon does. I'll have a better judge of it when I play it but from footage and screens it looks really good and yet visually boring at the same time. It's weird.

Yeah that looks pretty bad. FH5 was visually stunning so it didn't seem far fetched what they showed in 2022 for this new game. To see these downgrades is kind of like wtf. And I wasn't even hyped, I've not been hyped for this game at all and probably won't buy it til a year or two out, and this still looks bad to me.

Harwood Butch3r
10 hours ago, lndex said:

I've seen a few mentions that if you want to do a certain car build, you have to start at level 0 again. Wouldn't it make sense in that regard to just level up the manufacturer?

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that if you reach 50 with one car and want to buy the same one again, you'll need to start from 0 and level it up to do a new build. Wasn't there something like affinity levels in the older titles?

Unfortunately this seems to be the biggest flaw with the system.

It’s ok in the short term I guess, but once I figured out that if you buy the same car again or sell it and buy it back later in everything resets back to 0. I always used to like building different cars for different purposes I.e a car for circuit racing and another for drifting.

Apparently it takes about 2-3 hours to max level a car, but that’s going to get monotonous very fast so I don’t know why they thought it was a good idea to not let already unlocked parts carry over if you buy another model of the same car.

The old manufacturer affinity was a great system IMO and felt the most rewarding.

Yea the further people get into the game the more and more it's making their decision look like a really poor one. Which is... worrying, as something like that should be picked up pretty early by QA etc. Guess they were stubborn and wanted this system to work but based on what I've been reading I imagine they're going to have to redo it in a patch, which is not ideal.

• Like 2

The fact that this game still uses models from the 360 days, or worse, models that got ruined via porting like 2 god damn games ago and that they never bothered to fix, is amazing. Blows my mind. I bet the Gallardo Superleggera still has a body-colored wing like it has had since FM5 when they screwed the model up. And I bet if you try to make the wing carbon, the livery still disappears. Unbelievable. And I bet the Jaguar XKR-S still has missing taillight textures, where it just looks like mostly clear glass.

I don't even want to know the mental gymnastics going on in the Forza forums and subreddits right now. I bet this fan-base it working overtime to come up with every justification they can think of to excuse this series' blatant lack of attention to detail and improvements. You have to preface any complaint with "this isn't a big deal / this isn't the biggest problem ever" because otherwise people will rage-quit.

Edited by ddarko12
  • Like 1