3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

The Callisto Protocol | Striking Distance Studios | December 2022

Mister Pink

Mister Pink

Dead Space creator Glen Schofield's very Dead-Space-like sci-fi horror The Callisto Protocol finally has a release date and is heading to PS4, PS5, Xbox, and PC on 2nd December this year.

This game looks very atmospheric. With the Dead Space remakes and this, looks like there will be plenty of space/sci-fi/horror to play over the next year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Mister Pink
16 hours ago, Failed Again said:

Glad to see this is also available for Xbox😀

Yeah, all the games at the PS State of Play are multiplat. However, the way some of the trailers are marketing look like they're only going to PS. Just be mindful of that. 

On topic. I've never played much but own Dead Space 1 and 2. Some horror games are good at the beginning but I've yet to really get dug into one and see it through to the end. I hope to change that soon. I'll pick up the Dead Space remasters and then this. I genuinely think it's going to be a decent game from the looks of it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Lemoyne outlaw

I'm so excited for this game. i just changed my background with a picture from the game. I'm not a huge horror fan. but i can tolerate it. I'm mostly excited for the space theme and prison setting. i think it could be a cool game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Calisto Protocol aparently banned in Japan because it's too violent. This is great publicity for the game. Makes me more curious to play it.  If the developer decided against cuts, well done! I think loss of sales in Japan will be mitigated by sales everywhere else. News of the game not being able to be certified in Japan should only sitr up interest. 

Callisto Protocol cancelled in Japan after developer decides against cuts | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

This game will be interesting tbh. I've no interest in the genre but I have a vetted interest in this game being good because we need these lower end AAA games to do well so we can get more of them.

I do think they've happenchanced their way into a prime release period for them due to the light holiday period (and year, really) and that light year of games plus the genre of this game has sorta pumped it up as one of this years big games, helped by being used on the big stages by various big gaming shows by Keighley. So it's all lined up for it, they just have to deliver something good and fun.

I have question marks over them doing that, mind, I think they've been coy with what they've shown and think they'v tried to hide the games jankyness (a little jank is fine, ofc). Hope it does well in the end though.

• 4 weeks later...

Footage from early copies starting to leak out. Not seen enough to judge the quality of the game in terms of gameplay, but there's early signs that the game has some quite significant performance issues on PS5.

That plus the review embargo lifting on release day aren't great signs for the game unfortunately.

• Like 1

https://opencritic.com/game/13372/the-callisto-protocol

75/100 after 38 reviews, 69% critics recommend.

Reviewing as expected for me tbh. The gameplay/combat looked a bit jank and I got the impression that they were hiding it as much as possible in the footage they showed. The game is also technically troubled, especially on PC where it's getting absolutely butchered on Steam (28% positive).

Gameplay wise not a bad foundation to start with for a brand new studio and game, but technically it sounds like a mess.

I was looking forward to this game. So sad. Hope they patch it enough to be good before I build in a few months.

At least we still have Dead Space and Starfield!

• Like 1

Lemoyne outlaw

i just beat the game today. i would probably give it a 6.5/10. i loved the atmosphere and futuristic tech. but some of the combat sucked. it took too long to switch guns. and there is no insta heal. so if you're in a boss fight and you need health your pretty much screwed. but fighting the basic enemies was pretty easy. and fun when it was done right. the story was a bit confusing. but i think i understand it now. the protagonist was a bit bland. because he didn't talk much for the first half of the game. and even the side characters weren't very special because we don't have any attachment to them or even know who they are. it was a mediocre story. not the best but not the worst video game story ever. i would like to see a sequel to flesh out the lore and characters. and if they could do the combat and controls better. i think it would be a great game. i never played the dead space games except two hours of the first one and i got bored. people are comparing this game with dead space. but as someone who doesn't know the full story or hasn't played much of the dead space series. i think Callisto protocol on its own is a decent game. not worth 70 dollars though. but it's worth getting when its on sale.

BigBoyBertram

Just wait for the Dead Space Remake lmfao. They pushed this game out the door and crunched to purposely avoid that game. That should tell you everything.

• Like 1

TwistOfLime21

I've bought the game but haven't played it yet. I'll finish Devil In Me first, but these average reviews are disheartening. 

Lemoyne outlaw
12 hours ago, TwistOfLime21 said:

I've bought the game but haven't played it yet. I'll finish Devil In Me first, but these average reviews are disheartening. 

hey you never know if it's good until you actually play it. my favorite call of duty is advanced warfare and it got so many bad reviews. i also loved mafia 3 that got a lot of bad reviews. it's like the saying goes. one man's junk is another man's treasure. there are so many games that are super popular and loved by the gaming community. but i personally didn't like them when i tried them. i have seen a lot of positive reviews for this game too. so it's not all bad either. 

• Like 2

TwistOfLime21
14 hours ago, Lemoyne outlaw said:

hey you never know if it's good until you actually play it. my favorite call of duty is advanced warfare and it got so many bad reviews. i also loved mafia 3 that got a lot of bad reviews. it's like the saying goes. one man's junk is another man's treasure. there are so many games that are super popular and loved by the gaming community. but i personally didn't like them when i tried them. i have seen a lot of positive reviews for this game too. so it's not all bad either. 

I'll still play it, no doubt about that. I remember when Cyberpunk was getting ripped up and down yet I had a blast playing it.

• 2 weeks later...
Algonquin Assassin

I just picked up this game on Series X.

Didn’t know much about it besides it’s influences from Dead Space.

Like it so far. Has a great atmosphere and while it’s not the creepiest game I’ve ever played it can be unsettling when it wants to be. Normally I have quite a strong stomach for things like gore, but there have been a few times where I’ve dry reached. It’s definitely a gruesome game right up there with The Last Of Us Part II and even more so.

Despite some of the reviews that haven’t  been very favourable I didn’t let that stop me from just playing it myself and judging on my own accord.

There are definitely valid criticisms like how the combat kind of falls apart somewhat while fighting more than one enemy due to how blocking works, but so far anyway I’ve only found it to be a slight annoyance.

• Like 1

Boardwalk Empire Episode 2.1 Review - That Shelf

• 2 weeks later...
TwistOfLime21

Just finished it. I can see why its had mixed reviews. 

Good game, thats about it really. Graphics, especially the environments, look great, really gritty and disgusting.. The story takes a bit of a back seat. Throughout a good 85% of the game, you're fighting your way through the prison for no other reason than 'I shouldn't be here, oh and theres mutated inmates in here trying to kill me'. Its not until the final hour that all is revealed. The cutscenes are very minimal, which allows for more gameplay, but also hinders the game as well. It made me not care for Jacob or the story for the most part. Combat made the zombie encounters pretty fun and less reliant on shooting and more on melee.