3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Dave Norton Appreciation thread

LucidLocomotive

LucidLocomotive

Dave Norton is a seriously underrated character. The writing, the voice acting, the mannerisms, and everything. He perfectly conveys this sort of archetype  of Los Angeles neo-noire corrupt antihero side character. 

He’s probably my favorite character in the game overall. The least of a caricature compared to other characters like Steve Haines. I have a feeling that Dave was written by Dan houser earlier on, when the game was expected to be a bit darker and more like IV. His lines are more realistic and serious. 

One thing that made be pissed about the PS4 version, is that they removed the artwork of Dave from the loading screen. That was a great artwork that really conveyed the character and that whole sub-section of the narrative, the way he is stressfully talking on the cell phone with his hand on his hip. 

gunziness

I agree, Dave Norton is my favorite side-character aswell. Theres a synergy between Michael and him that makes his missions and scenes stand out from the rest, it feels to me like hes a character from a different R* game, storywise speaking.

• Like 2

AkshayKumar

Davey is a dignified, amiable individual who will enquire about your family and who you'll have no problem babysitting your kids

I like how he looked out for Michael and you could almost consider them friends, the way he apparently fended off Trevor by impersonating Brad for over a decade was mad too, he was doing it to save his own skin too but he was one of the few characters who though a corrupt cop you got the feeling was trustworthy. I like him and Solomon they were great characters Michael met. 

(One of the reasons I like ending B was that I think that's the only ending Dave comes clean with Trevor over Brad's letters which is another way that ending brings things full circle) 

Also the man has got style

DaveNorton-GTAV-2004OldGen.png

DaveNorthon-GTAV-Smoking.png

Shades Davey or Beanie Davey? 

• Like 4

Mr Hole in One

JP0cYXG.png

billiejoearmstrong8

I'm guilty of overlooking him myself but reading your post I realise you're spot on OP! He is great in every scene and his interactions with Michael are really well done. Definitely an understated character compared to most in V. I wish he'd been in it more now.

• Like 2

LucidLocomotive
5 hours ago, AkshayKumar said:

Davey is a dignified, amiable individual who will enquire about your family and who you'll have no problem babysitting your kids

I like how he looked out for Michael and you could almost consider them friends, the way he apparently fended off Trevor by impersonating Brad for over a decade was mad too, he was doing it to save his own skin too but he was one of the few characters who though a corrupt cop you got the feeling was trustworthy. I like him and Solomon they were great characters Michael met. 

(One of the reasons I like ending B was that I think that's the only ending Dave comes clean with Trevor over Brad's letters which is another way that ending brings things full circle) 

Also the man has got style

DaveNorton-GTAV-2004OldGen.png

DaveNorthon-GTAV-Smoking.png

Shades Davey or Beanie Davey? 

Yes very true. And he was just as much being forced against his will by steve Haines as Michael was. I like in the mission the wrap up, how he defends Michael “I thought we agreed we were going to TALK to Michael, to exPLAIN things!”

Also it’s very quick, but in monkey business when you’re riding the elevator, the camera is pointed at Dave and he just has the most dead look in his eyes 

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

universetwisters

I love Dave. He has the “I gave up on my dreams and I’m just gonna submit to whatever life throws at me” look in his eyes, much like myself or Tom Nook from animal crossing.

Shame we didn’t see much more of him in the game. Would’ve loved a mission where Michael had to rub his tummy and make him moan like a walrus 

• Like 1
  • excuseme 1

Cutter De Blanc

I'd always hoped he was going to turn out to be a villain 

Thelema93

I wish he was on the trios kill list in the third way. The guy took the easy way out in regards to the deal with Townley all those years ago.. 

LucidLocomotive
1 hour ago, Thelema93 said:

I wish he was on the trios kill list in the third way. The guy took the easy way out in regards to the deal with Townley all those years ago.. 

my understanding is that it’s at least implied that Dave, and the trio’s connection to him, is basically the in-game explanation for why the trio is able to get away with all this crime, without having to worry about DNA and all that coming back to bite them later on. He’s (and whoever else at the FIB is with him) is their guy on the inside that keeps their trail clean. Same idea as the IAA guy for Niko. If they killed all their government connections it would just completely blow all the logic out the window imo

• Like 1

Thelema93
Just now, LucidLocomotive said:

my understanding is that it’s at least implied that Dave, and the trio’s connection to him, is basically the in-game explanation for why the trio is able to get away with all this crime, without having to worry about DNA and all that coming back to bite them later on. He’s (and whoever else at the FIB is with him) is their guy on the inside that keeps their trail clean. Same idea as the IAA guy for Niko. If they killed all their government connections it would just completely blow all the logic out the window imo

You're looking at it rationally. There are people who are useful to you and people who aren't. I felt like taking Davey out. Too bad we never got the option

Lemoyne outlaw

yes i think dave was a good character. i always thought he would make a good playable character. like instead of franklin dave could be a good replacement. we could be able to do cop stuff. and criminal stuff. i hope he is in gta 6. even if its just on the underbelly of paradise tv show. because if steve dies dave tells michael that he is the new host. or maybe he is transferred to vice city and is involved with the story. like how the iaa guy in gta 4. is in los santos.

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
1 hour ago, Lemoyne outlaw said:

yes i think dave was a good character. i always thought he would make a good playable character. like instead of franklin dave could be a good replacement. we could be able to do cop stuff. and criminal stuff. i hope he is in gta 6. even if its just on the underbelly of paradise tv show. because if steve dies dave tells michael that he is the new host. or maybe he is transferred to vice city and is involved with the story. like how the iaa guy in gta 4. is in los santos.

Yo that would be really cool having him take over the TV show. Underbelly: port of call Vice City

LorshZontek

Davey!