Your thoughts about GTA : Chinatown Wars

MissIp

I have grown quite interested in Chinatown Wars, I was playing the NDS version. I didn't see many people talk about it, what is your opinion on the game?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This game is pretty cool, I liked playing it on my NDS emulator, I got hooked into the story line. Now if this would be remade in Unreal Engine 5 from the ground up... ;)

• 1 month later...

I have it on my phone sometimes play it when bored, but a lovely game and experience. Unlike other GTA games I've played the side missions and challenges like shooting range, vigilante, firefighter, etc... are unlike other GTAs actually challenging in fun sort of way, and It has a decent storyline and I love the humor in the game and Huang's sarcasm as well. The drug trading is unique feature the game has that I like It's fun finding dealers and making money and escaping cops. And after playing GTA IV, finding same locations in CW because It's basically the same city and seeing famous landmarks I feel like that will smith in taxi making photographs meme, so yeah I find it a rather lovely game.

• Like 2

Owned it for a good minute now but gave never played it much, it's the only GTA I have not completely finished, so I reset and am currently %35 - Very interesting game, loving it so far. I am now just focused on making money selling dope as it changes. Any tips? I have no looked into cheats, trying to complete it without them. Story is entertaining though. Now I am taking a break and exploring, looking for hidden sh*t or easter eggs... I'll post again once I finish the game.

• 3 months later...

Chinatown Wars is up there as one of my favourites. It's literally one of a kind. It's special in relation to the other games for its game engine and has a lot of distinctively cool features. I really enjoyed it, and it's always just as much fun to play it again.

• 2 months later...
ToniCiprani

So, the first thing I must say - this is not a big game like GTA V or GTA:SA and a lot of people review it wrong by comparing it to these titles. You could also compare it to another games from 2d era (which would make CTW better), but I think this game is the most unique one in the whole franchise and that's why it is good for it's own way. Here are my thoughts:

-The story: for me it is one of the strongest parts of the game. It begins very calm and typical, "huh a newbie in a LC, must work for Triads.." nothing really interesting. Things get better when you play the story more. You meet Heston and slowly realise that everyone is turning against you, even Hsin.. It is a great combo of classic mystery story and action movie. Every mission is different and contains a lot of content, such as making molotovs or dealing. You can't feel bored. For example the bank heist when you wear dragon suit and must make correct moves? Very, very creative, same with reloading sniper rifle and searching through trash bins. Even at the end you meet new characters, such as Rudy or Lester. It was a great journey which was holding me to the end. The only bad thing is on mobile - there's almost no female characters, at least PSP version solves this problem. Also, it is sad that Ling died so early. Not too long, not too short story. Great overall.

-The world: Cool. Two big islands, not three, but it is understable as they are more detalistic. It is very nice this game is set in the current HD universe. Seeing  the park or other places from Gta:IV was great experience. You can find side missions, you can go to shops and try your luck, you can also steal the vans with stuff. This world feels alive. And I like it.

-Vehicles: Almost all are the models from other gta games, but I'm sure you can find exclusive ones too. Also, having in this game for example Hellenbach GT from lcs was great. The boats nailed it. Sadly, to my knowledge - no planes or helicopters (maybe you can do it but by using tricks or sth, not normally). Although, vehicles are nice and different, which makes them more fun to drive.

-The music. Only instrumentals, but SO GOOD INSTRUMENTALS. Deadmau5, turntables.. You can find a lot of different types of music. They really fit into the atmosphere of the game and make it more enjoyable. I must add the character's themes such as Rudy's Italian song were great too.

-Mechanics: You will get used to it! At start (and even later) it might be a problem, but just play the game and it becomes pretty fun. The walking, jumping etc. aren't this game strong side, although they aren't bad either. And the bird-point camera view gives a nice charm. The best part of mechanics are these mini games, such as stealing cars by hacking them.

-Art style. Also one of the strongest side of the game. It really gives you the Chinese vibes. Characters have different angles and generally look good. 

-Internet/Tablet. When I get on my laptop and can order weapons directly to my house, listen to music and catch up some discounts I feel this was one of the best decisions made into this game. No other gta had such system. It is very unique and helpful.

-Minuses: after completing the story and side missions it might be boring, but it takes you still like a 20 hours to do so. The controls are hard to get to know. A few characters such as Ling has a missed potential. It wouldn't look good in this game, but I still miss the voice actors, would be cool to know how character's voices sound. And I'm also missing the popular songs in the radio, but these beats have it charm too.

I wish you a nice day. :)

Edited by ToniCiprani
-I forgot about mentioning "Internet/tablet" option.

universetwisters

I don't think it's bad but I don't think I'll be able to appreciate it fully until I play it myself and I don't see myself playing it anytime soon because it's mobile and I still use a flip phone

sTgL5iS.png

cant remember
9 hours ago, universetwisters said:

I don't think it's bad but I don't think I'll be able to appreciate it fully until I play it myself and I don't see myself playing it anytime soon because it's mobile and I still use a flip phone

You can play it on PC using an emulator if the flipphone is the only reason you're not playing it but it takes some getting used to, feels like playing a retro game if you do it on the same PC where you play GTA5.

Badass handheld game, only if it was a third DLC for GTA 4 aaaaaaaaagh that would be awesome

• 2 months later...

I'm playing the NDS version via DraStic since the Android version is no longer supported. It even came with some game-specific hacks but I never use them. Using the touchscreen as intended is neat, although I had to convert my save to DeSmuME to do the Tattoo Parlor minigame because I don't have a stylus. I wish I could once experience it as intended. I'd might have to convert it again for the Sniper challenge. Got used to the tiny screen after a while (I use portrait mode so controls won't collide with the touchscreen), but the D-Pad is a bit unresponsive. I also have trouble using L and R, I can just either bend my index fingers awkwardly, or put the phone on a table. Can't imagine going on a 6-star wanted level with this, I'd get wasted by the tanks before I can aim at them with my rocket launcher. I also got hooked on the drug dealing feature and made 2M halfway through the storyline entirely from hijacking vans and doing tip-off deals. DraStic also emulates the Close DS function and you get to hear some funny quotes like "You want a piece of my pie?", "Welcome to party." or "My face is melting!"

I plan trying it via PPSSPP on mobile when I get an attachable gamepad because it looks better on a smaller screen. I play it on PC, and the desposterization effect looks quirky, especially the text, and without it, it's pixelated. Cutscenes with xBRZ are cool, though.

Edited by emujoyer

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through the sidemissions rn, It seems like this game has a lot of downsides for no good reason

• Time limits are barely enough and unlikely in past titles, the timer is only for that specific mission set, so there is no additional reward to doing well. Say, I wanted to drop off a lot of fares. In GTA 3, if I do well for the first few fares, Ill have plenty of time left over because the fares stack? In CW? Nope Its a timer exculsive to that fare which means you will always be barely able to make It and some of these fares have downright idiotic timers
  • Cops are op in this game, they must been taking steroids because Its near impossible to shake them off once they latch on the car door and will even pull you out mid-drive, which makes no sense and thus also render the classic spin technique unusable. And once you get busted, your weapons are gone forever, even though previous games like gta vcs let you bribe the cops to buy it again
  • The lock on is terrible and guns just feel bad to use compared to other GTAs. Seriously, how is the shotgun this weak, you have to practically point blank It for it to be effective
  • Why oh why did they think removing physical gun stores was a good idea?

Theres also smaller bits, like poorer music choice (seriously where is the ukrainian/russia radio station? Where is the classical music station? Why is It just rock, pop and dubstep?)

Overall, save your cash, buy LCS or VCS. The only good part of the game is the drug dealing part and thats pretty much it

Edited by kagenlim

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2023 at 7:29 AM, kagenlim said:

Why is It just rock, pop and dubstep?)

doyou.jpg

"Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the grave, for evil finds lodging among them."

• 2 weeks later...
TheGreatLeone

ironicallly, i think this one have the best gun sounds in the series.

i always have to look for gun sounds mods in all the gta games because the guns arnt loud enough

they nailed it. especielly the uzi/mac 10 whatever it is

• 2 months later...

Fun game, great callback to the original GTAs.  I played the NDS version, definitely a visual downgrade compared to the PSP version (haven't played it yet) but the touch screen mechanics and mini-games make it a worthy tradeoff.  I also love seeing the HD Liberty City from a different perspective and was always interested in the Triad faction in GTA4, so it was nice to see them expanded upon.  The only thing missing for me is the lack of voice-acting. 

I like to start it but I don't know which version should I play. Any suggestion?

JadeyMoyaison

GTA VI should learn a lot from CTW when it comes to activities, that's for sure. There are a ton of interactive mini-games, and it's not like the consoles that VI's going to be released on (PC port comes soon, that I know) are too weak to support them.

But outside of this, I don't know. The game managed to get me glued to the PSP for hours once I got it. But it doesn't seem like I have much memories of it, outside the mini-games and that ambulance mission (that thing scares me). I don't even remember any songs on the radio.

It's pretty much one of the least memorable GTA I ever played (because no one really talked much about this game), although I still had quite a fond memory of it compared to Vice City (yes I don't really have any particular memories of it).

Edited by JadeyMoyaison

Pashaforever
13 hours ago, DARHAM said:

I like to start it but I don't know which version should I play. Any suggestion?

Comes down to preference. The game was designed for the Nintendo DS, so the gameplay is arguably better but has less content and only five radio stations. PSP has the best graphics and the most content with eleven radio stations. The Mobile port is a middle ground, touchscreen controls are reminscent of DS while the graphics are like PSP (no extra missions though), if you also can't bother with emulators or don't have a DS or PSP the Mobile port is your only choice. I'd reccomend PPSSPP on your phone, I completed the game like three times with it.

Edited by Pashaforever