2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Cops in the Prologue left the getaway driver alone?

LucidLocomotive

LucidLocomotive

I wonder why. I replayed the prologue while stoned and it was very intense, I was sucked into it like it was really happening and the dialogue that usually flew over my head this time hit me in the face and  felt very real. Stuff like

“kid might have bailed, this wasn’t in the job description!”

Or “come on let’s get to the driver!” 

“He better be there!”

I realized the gravity of the situation so much more because of my mental state (I never ever smoke so it was insane and psychedelic almost). These guys probably told this random young stranger (who was vouched for obviously) that there would be a simple robbery and he would be the getaway driver. So when they end up in a war with police, perpetuating what (in 2004) would have been the largest body count in a conflict between criminals and police in history, there was a pretty big question of whether or not the driver would have left when swarms of cops start rolling in.

Even though I knew the driver would be there since I’ve played it before, it’s like my empathy was driven up to 11, and I was in their shoes. When Trevor said “he better be there!” I could feel the fear in his voice and imagine myself being there. If I was in that exact situation, and like Michael said “this wasn’t in the job description”, I would be having serious doubts about the driver being there. 

It also made me feel horrible for all of the slain police. Their screams when they take damage, and their families. They are supposed to be Fargo police, and probably have never expected something like this. They were completely overpowered as the 3 perpetrators had fully automatic AR-15s. 

But anywho back to my question. When they finally reach the end of the long driveway leading to the deposit building, the getaway car is just sitting there unhindered, on the side of the road. The gang used a different car to come in, as a non-police car is in the parking lot right next to the security box with the dead guard. 

This makes me wonder, it’s very likely that the police left the getaway driver alone because there was an active shootout happening a few yards away. But it could also be that the first cops on the scene called in to report the car that was in the parking lot as being the robbers’ car, so they assumed the one parked there in the road was a civillian spectator or otherwise unrelated.

universetwisters

The civilian car parked at the depot is probably one of the employee’s cars. Yea it’s dumb that it’s just one car there for I dunno how many, but let’s assume they carpooled.

Not only that but it’s not impossible to think that the getaway driver was hiding inside the car to make the car look like it was broke down or something like that; Timothy McVeigh escaped Oklahoma City in a car with “dead battery I’ll give it a jump tomorrow” written on it or something to that effect, so the cops obv would be more focused on an actual shootout as opposed to what they perceive to be a random parked car

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

The civilian car parked at the depot is probably one of the employee’s cars. Yea it’s dumb that it’s just one car there for I dunno how many, but let’s assume they carpooled.

Not only that but it’s not impossible to think that the getaway driver was hiding inside the car to make the car look like it was broke down or something like that; Timothy McVeigh escaped Oklahoma City in a car with “dead battery I’ll give it a jump tomorrow” written on it or something to that effect, so the cops obv would be more focused on an actual shootout as opposed to what they perceive to be a random parked car

I don’t think it’s an employee car. It’s not actually in a parking spot. It’s a junker car and it’s parked crooked right in front of the box with the dead guard. From where the glass is cracked on the booth, it looks like they quickly pulled in and shot the guard from the passenger window.  I guess it’s possible that it’s the woman’s car, and that she pulled in right as they were killing the guard, and then they forced her inside.

Edited by LucidLocomotive

universetwisters
Just now, LucidLocomotive said:

I don’t think it’s an employee car. It’s not actually in a parking spot. It’s a junker car and it’s parked crooked right in front of the box with the dead guard. I guess it’s possible that it’s the woman’s car, and that she pulled in right as they were killing the guard, and then they forced her inside.

Maybe, but even if it were the robber’s car that was driven there with the intent of abandoning, why would they park so far away from the entrance?

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
9 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Maybe, but even if it were the robber’s car that was driven there with the intent of abandoning, why would they park so far away from the entrance?

I don’t think it was that far from the entrance. It’s just right around the corner. I could be wrong, but isn’t that the only parking lot? Or the only entrance from the road? I’m gonna replay it later and investigate the scene further. I wish these kinds of topics, and other topics about HD Universe lore in general, were more active. It’s so rare to find discussions and videos about the lore, but with the in-game internet, TV, and other dialogue, it really is deep. I’m shocked that after 10 years they are still so hard to find, or to get started

universetwisters
44 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

I don’t think it was that far from the entrance. It’s just right around the corner. I could be wrong, but isn’t that the only parking lot?

You’re right, but even then it’s still stupidly far from the entrance. Why would some bank robbers park so far away from the entrance?

Im still putting my money on it just being an employee car, if it isn’t then how did everyone else get there? Yea it may be parked bad but who drives/parks good in any gta game to begin with

Flymystical-DJ
Posted (edited)

Intro is full of great dialogue for Micheal. One detail I noticed between Micheal and the Getaway Driver. In the beginning Micheal refers to him as "kid" a somewhat endearing title. The getaway driver also picked an amazing spot to park, "just" where he needed to be but "just" out of eye sight. Both of these things give me the impression that A) Micheal likes the kid and B) the kid has talent.

So what does Micheal say the instant the kid he likes literally bites the bullet?

"local yokel's bought it!"

Like flipping a switch, what an asshole...

Edited by Flymystical-DJ
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1