3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

14 years of Grand Theft Auto IV

AkshayKumar

AkshayKumar

14 years ago on April 29 (today already in certain time zones), Grand Theft Auto was first released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

14 years later, not many other games have captured New York as elegantly. Liberty City was and still is one of the best cities in gaming. The tale of Niko Bellic remains one of it's most captivating. 

Of course, this game isn't short of other delights like gently nudging scores of pedestrians off of ledges, trying to get your vehicle to fly across half the borough by backing it up against a swingset, going down Memory Lanes with your cousin, going boating around the Statue of Happiness on a rainy Liberty City evening with 1979 playing on the radio, et cetera et cetera. 

Here's to the evergreen GTA IV. (Have we seen the last of this game or?) 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnfex-Fz4G-tteSqLTm6m

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_pyjyNdMDP9aODIUMXCF

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB2vrYDZ9mgTBDVKM0Ug0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRry5lpQ-5Nlv1nCaWTDNr

Mr Hole in One

V0Ontqa_180x180_1_75.png

AlexGTAGamer

Has it really been 14 years already? Time sure does fly when you’re having fun, or in my case replaying and completing IV for the umpteenth time that I have long forgotten just how many playthroughs exactly I have done (must be in the 20s range now). 

And even to this day I am STILL finding new things within the game that I did not find in previous playthroughs.

In fact, to commemorate the 14th anniversary, I think I’ll replay the story yet again and improve my no civilian casualties challenge (last playthrough I finally brought it down to just one civilian casualty, who was an NPC that ran right into three motorbikes that I blew up with a grenade post-Star Junction vigilante mission).

GiveMeLiberty78

Great post @AkshayKumar, and contribution @AlexGTAGamer. Thanks for the reminder, I'm so busy working that the date slipped my mind.

Time permitting, I am overdue restarting my second play-through of GTA 4, although I never had the time to get beyond about 25% completion the first time back in 2010 (PC). I am also still noticing old (and sometimes even new) details, funny pedestrian quotes, and occasionally reminiscing about the infamous 'swing glitch'. I never had the time to get into multiplayer either, but I understand that there is still a small, dedicated group of multiplayers out there.

Oh, and to answer the original poster's question: I feel ambivalent about a remaster because (i) I think that experience shows that remasters can be underwhelming, and (ii) related to that first point, I think that maybe we/I try to recreate a nostalgia that has come and gone - no matter how good a remaster may be visually, performance-wise, and as an idea, I think that I just can't recreate that mood/vibe/atmosphere experienced at the time of its release.

But, I think that GTA 4 can still look great so here are some screenshots that I took when I last played around 2018 and created a brief 'travelog' across Liberty City (grossly under-developed):

Fresh off the boat:

Rf835Cx.jpg

Zak1rUo.jpg

From my favorite Vlad mission:

WpFZcVh.jpg

Drinking tea:

FoZO0Cu.jpg

Friday nights with Roman (bowling, of course):

OUBbEw2.jpg

And generally enjoying the little details/reminiscing whilst watching Liberty City go by:

uFaYJag.jpg

lZrWtwO.jpg

Hanging out with Little Jacob (and still trying to understand him without those helpful subtitles, haha!):

S0ZJEhl.jpg

Before going out with a bang:

ApiJG0g.jpg

If anyone is interested in my GTA 4 settings, they are all here but the PC port was very hit-and-miss, so your mileage may vary (significantly). The above images and on my mini-blog above are not edited by the way; all captures are genuinely in-game.

Oh, and just one more thing: This fan-made blog (not mine) inspired me whilst listening to my favorite radio station (The Journey).

So I wonder, what are people's favorite memories 14 years later after the Cosmic Egg started cracking?

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78
  • Like 5

TheOriginalGunslinger

I still prefer IV Multiplayer over GTA Online as well.

Cops ‘n Crooks was so good.

I get very nostalgic when this starts playing. It just reminds me of cruising the seedy streets of Liberty City. Roaming from alleyway to alleyway in Algonquin (this was especially fun during a 6 Star Wanted Level). Met a lot of people in multiplayer who still keep in touch every now and then to this day. I remember everyone grinding either Bomb da Base II, Deal Breaker and Hangman’s NOOSE all to get that shiny gold level 10 star.

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Spider-Vice

By this time many people were either playing it in the UK or still in the line for midnight launches :kekw: Look down memory lane with some of the topics on GTAF:

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Xav Curbelo

Cheers, GTA IV. I'm going through my bazillion playthrough, actually. Just got Roman's place and work burned to the ground. I always come back to Liberty City and I will come back until I die if possible haha.

• Like 2

Algonquin Assassin

• Like 6
  • Best Bru 1

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

TWIST_OF_HATE

Great game, still feels very fresh to me, but sadly it's a technical disaster even now

We better wait until z-fighting and performance issues will be fixed to fully enjoy this game in glorious 4K/60

Oh, also graphics fixes will be good

So far iCEnhancer 4, Zolika Patch and RevIVe projects are our hope

I understand that waiting for 14 years old game to be fixed may sound funny to someone, but maan, I love this game, I'm still counting on it

Probably best GTA ever released (hard to choose between III and IV)

The Artist
1 hour ago, TWIST_OF_HATE said:

Great game, still feels very fresh to me, but sadly it's a technical disaster even now

We better wait until z-fighting and performance issues will be fixed to fully enjoy this game in glorious 4K/60

I understand that waiting for 14 years old game to be fixed may sound funny to someone, but maan, I love this game, I'm still counting on it

They are not going to fix anything lol

534,879 Happy Birthday Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

Happy Birthday IV. 

Not a huge fan but the first hours of playing this were incredible. Seeing the new physics, details coming from the 3d era was shocking and is something I'll never forget. Technology and story wise it was a huge upgrade over the 3d era games. Could've been truly great if the only the gameplay wasn't so repetitive after a while.

Edited by The Artist
  • Like 2

DEADWOODZ

Happy Birthday IV!

Still remember picking this up from Gamestation on the morning. Which has been closed down for many years.

From R* captivating a New York city setting. Down to sinking many hours into Cops 'n' Crooks with mates after school and hiding up in the Westminster housing projects in North Holland.

It's still to this day one of my all time favorites in the Grand Theft Auto series. Nostalgia plays a key part in IV for me, especially Niko's story.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • Like 6

TWIST_OF_HATE
3 hours ago, The Artist said:

They are not going to fix anything lol

Why ?

I guess you just don't know anything about these projects and progress that was made

8 hours ago, TWIST_OF_HATE said:

I already enjoy the game at 4K/60fps, with modern hardware the game runs as good as it ever will.

I doubt any modder can fix the root problems of the engine at this point, but I can say performance is finally good enough after all these years.

Edited by eduazy
  • Like 2

billiejoearmstrong8

Best game I've ever played ❤️❤️❤️ 

Happy birthday!

universetwisters

I remember the first time I played this dumb game a few days after it came out at a kisok in some video game store (remember when those were a thing?)

I stole a bucaneer in hove beach and drove it around. It felt very weighted and nothing like anything I ever played before

To be young again when everything was new 

Funny story about this song

I discovered it during the taking in the trash mission and with how Tuna and Johnny ride on the back I shaked the truck around it looked like they were dancing male strippers :kekw:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116d7d74e15a1e7e5178

So now whenever I do that mission I wait for that song to come on which can take a while then drive around and make them dance :kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw:

ThatBenGuy1998

Happy birthday to the best GTA title, alongside III and VC! 14 years of awesomeness! When October 2022 rolls around, the other two games will be 21 and 20 respectively. Shoutout to SA as well, which will turn 18 in October 2022.

Edited by ThatBenGuy1998
  • Like 3

Amazing GTA game, my favorite GTA game to date and my 2nd favorite Rockstar game just behind RDR2.

Edit: Actually I think GTA IV is still my favorite Rockstar game with RDR2 a close 2nd. Both are outstanding games!

Edited by Emmi

EL_FUGA

Happy anniversary.

We made a Multiplayer event to commemorate IV's birthday. Had some good games: Cops n Crooks, Turf War, Team Mafia Work, Races - lots of players attended.

Edited by EL_FUGA
  • Like 2

Gravarty

This is unfortunately not the official upload, but I remember watching this video when the new GTA IV cover was officially announced.

Americana

One of my best memories.

I remember using a Taxi, Liberty City looked as good as ever and rain was pouring down the sky. I was listening to The Journey and The Oh Pleasure was on.

This was like a dream. This is what made Grand Theft Auto IV so perfect for me.

• Like 3

Im sure we will see more of LC in due time. 14 years is unreal though,it has aged like fine wine. I got it day 1 at launch but only got the platinum in 2020. Well worth it. 

• Like 3

Goldn-Bayse

Happy Anniversary to my favorite GTA game and one of my favorite games of all time! I decided to play a bit yesterday and just cruise around. Liberty City still looks stunning. There's not much memories for me to bring up that I already haven't, though I will say, it's a shame that the game hasn't gotten at least a simple port/re-release so more people could experience it today.

• Like 2

Legomanarthur

To this day GTA IV remains one of my favorite games. Liberty City has such a strong and unique atmosphere that makes me feel at home whenever I play. Fourteen years and this game is still a beauty, GTA IV truly deserves the title of masterpiece.

Spoiler

S9SUnFg.png

ZwMBoMW.png
kRM6PNi.pngxtTelMN.png
CDYrlWX.png
NTefP7K.pngV7ejDoa.pngxR3B3FF.pngh4y0XCr.png
J7iKw5M.png

• Like 4

Americana

Awesome screenshots. This game looks so much more atmospheric than Grand Theft Auto V.

• KEKW 2

Cheatz/Trickz
On 4/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, universetwisters said:

I remember the first time I played this dumb game a few days after it came out at a kisok in some video game store (remember when those were a thing?)

I stole a bucaneer in hove beach and drove it around. It felt very weighted and nothing like anything I ever played before

To be young again when everything was new 

Excuse me…Dumb game?

Explain yourself. 

• KEKW 3

AkshayKumar
15 minutes ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

Excuse me…Dumb game?

Explain yourself. 

I think it's just universetwisters lending his sarcastic touch to things again. 

I remember first coming out of Roman's Broker apartment and going to the alleyway directly opposite and throwing a brick at the two gentlemen talking there and then getting my ass kicked lmao cause I wasn't used to fighting in this game, hand to hand combat in 3D era games is just spamming the strike button but in this game it's more about timing your strikes. I'm a bit better with hand to hand combat now I even get my counters in sometimes! 

Mr Hole in One

V0Ontqa_180x180_1_75.png

universetwisters
42 minutes ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

Excuse me…Dumb game?

Explain yourself. 

I don’t see that game cutting my lawns or balancing my checkbook tho it’s p dumb

• KEKW 2

Cheatz/Trickz
17 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I don’t see that game cutting my lawns or balancing my checkbook tho it’s p dumb

You…use a checkbook?

• excuseme 1

universetwisters
6 minutes ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

You…use a checkbook?

ofc I’m a grown ass man