Story mission won't continue

MustaOksennus

MustaOksennus

I cannot continue the bounty hunting mission (main story mission in epilogue) where John and Saidie follow the Finley in the canyon. Everyone just stops doing anything when the mission should continue when we go to overwatch position. The bandits remove him from the horseback and say something and then nothing happens. I try to kill them and nothing happens. They won't even fight back. Also if I kill myself and try to continue from check point it just stucks in the loading screen.

I have verified the game files trough steam. Deleted the system.xml file and tried run as an admin. Nothing works. Help

Edited by MustaOksennus

Sounds similar to the glitch in the Chez Porter home robbery mission with Javier. Only way I've found to fix that one in particular is to mission fail by killing Javier with dynamite or running far enough to abandon him.

Never personally encountered the glitch you mention. Matter of fact, no glitches anything near that in any Epilogue mission. If it's locked on the loading screen after attempting to start from checkpoint, skipping the checkpoint is also off the table. Not sure how you'd work around this other than attempting to fail the mission in creative ways.

MustaOksennus

I cannot kill her either. She just stays there. I need to try other ways to fail the mission. Everyone just stays there and I can only kill the bad guys but nobody reacts anything.  

After over 400 hours in story mode this is the first time this kind of thing has happened to me. My 2nd playthrough. 

MustaOksennus

Ok. I managed to kill Saidie with a molotov and she just died and nothing happened. Same thing. Nothing happens. I cannot fail the mission nor I cannot continue nor I cannot restart from the checkpoint. 

I killed myself before I started the mission and I killed myself during the mission when we watched the bad guys coming from Armadillo. And after I killed Saidie I killed myself and it stayed on the loading screen. 

I wonder if I corrupted something when I used the 1907 New Austin mod? I disabled it first time I ran up to this problem. I need any kind of solution to continue instead of starting the whole story again. Even a cheat code would be better to skip that mission. 

Edit: If I restart the epilogue or go back to my latest hard save would it solve the problem if the file is corrupted? I will easily lose 10s of hours of gameplay but rather that than over 100 hours of gameplay with 91% of completion. 

Edited by MustaOksennus

On 4/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, MustaOksennus said:

Ok. I managed to kill Saidie with a molotov and she just died and nothing happened. Same thing. Nothing happens. I cannot fail the mission nor I cannot continue nor I cannot restart from the checkpoint. 

I killed myself before I started the mission and I killed myself during the mission when we watched the bad guys coming from Armadillo. And after I killed Saidie I killed myself and it stayed on the loading screen. 

I wonder if I corrupted something when I used the 1907 New Austin mod? I disabled it first time I ran up to this problem. I need any kind of solution to continue instead of starting the whole story again. Even a cheat code would be better to skip that mission. 

Edit: If I restart the epilogue or go back to my latest hard save would it solve the problem if the file is corrupted? I will easily lose 10s of hours of gameplay but rather that than over 100 hours of gameplay with 91% of completion. 

If there is something in the mod that affects savegame data, which I very much doubt there is, it will have affected every save you made with the mod active. If that includes all your other saves, they're trashed as well.

What strikes me as odd is how you mention even running no mods and removing scripthook/lml, the glitch still persists. Given the glitch happens well into the mission, my curiosity of it possibly being caused by some nearby random event are is gone. Never used the mod you mentioned, but after just a quick skim over, it changes a lot of New Austin, including Pike's Basin (where the glitch happens). Seems someone managed to disable some random events as well, but be that as it may you claim it still hangs up even after removing all mods. Idk, man. Unless you made permanent changes to game data with OpenIV, I can't figure up how it would still happen with zero mods.

As for the savegame deal, like I said if any mod makes changes to how and what data is saved, you might be sh*t out of luck. I know of no mods that change anything to do with savegames, though. Very strange deal you're describing here.