3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Trevor Phillips: The Cringiest Edgelord in GTA History

FewPoleCat42

I'm inclined to agree actually.

A lot of Ubisoft edgelord characters seem to exhibit a lot of Trevoresque characteristics now.

Edited by sabitsuki

billiejoearmstrong8

Totally disagree, I really find him one of the most nuanced and interesting protagonists and he's my favourite after Niko. I do dislike some of the more outlandish stuff (eg cannibalism) and wish they'd toned down the wackiness a bit, but I blame GTA V in general for that rather than the character specifically because the vibe of the game is just a bit too wacky for me in general. Despite the too wacky influence of the game he's in I still find him a great and compelling character. And I think the whole "embodying the worst things GTA players do"/pushing how evil a protagonist can be aspect is really interesting too. 

• Like 2

I used to hate Trevor a lot. I still do but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate what Houser tried to do with him. I really like the concept of a menacing and seemingly insane character who turns out to have a stronger moral compass than those around him. Steven Ogg and Rod Edge worked magic capturing this character in spite of the wonky script. I think he would've been an S tier protagonist had they just kept him a bit more grounded in reality. It's hard to sympathize with a cannibalistic rapist who sells people to cultists, especially when those traits were mostly just one off gags that contributed nothing to the story. Still, he remains one of the most memorable characters in any videogame to date and that's worthy of recognition.

• Like 3

Although I do find Trevor an entertaining and interesting character, I must admit that I see a lot of your points. Also I’m starting to understand more and more that ending A actually is a good ending, and if it wasn’t for Trevor being revealed alive in GTA Online it probably would be the canon ending. Because after having played the story a lot of times, I’m starting to understand that the only way to get proper closure to the story was by having Trevor out.

For example, I feel like literally the entire plot builds up to Trevor being put down. Because you can tell Michael never really had peace knowing Trevor was

still around (remember that dialogue in Casing The Jewel Store with Lester and Michael, where Michael desperately tries to convince himself that Trevor must have died in the last 9 years?). Also sometimes Trevor’s death seemed inevitable because there are so many moments where he almost died because he made enemies with everyone from Madrazo to Merryweather, and subsequently put everyone around him in danger as well.

Edited by R_DeSanta
  • Like 1

There is nothing serious about this stupid plot. This is what I hate about this and other characters in the game.

boomboom5950

i personally love the character of trevor, his actions are the result of a rough childhood and i love watching his cutscenes and interactions with people. Trevor and lamar are my favorite characters in GTA 5 because they are funny and well written characters.

Summerdaises2246

I'm late to the party here but as I've played T and F more than M, I have to say I much, much prefer them over M, and M is my favorite character. As I listened to the dialog from Trevor's perspective on things, with how raw he puts it, it's easily perceived how deeply hurt he was/is. He's super friendly towards Franklin the more they hang out together, but still yells and screams at Michael even after the story is complete. He has every right to be angry and he is. I think Michael rushed Trevor to stop holding the grudge against him, as evidenced when he said "Well T, I think we finally made it, you and me, in the end I mean." Trevor responds with "Have we?"  It's obvious from that conversation that he wants Trevor to get over being angry and betrayed while T doesn't exactly see it that way. He has depth, more so than Michael and his story is more interesting I think. I found I have a lot of fun playing as Trevor or Franklin, and I used to hate Trevor with a passion. 

I read on here that M and F didn't like Trevor at the end.....that's only if you pick the "something sensible" ending, as otherwise they really hit it off and get along great, even with Lamar thrown in the mix. Michael doesn't have peace because he's constantly picking fights with his family (daughter) and still messes around on Amanda. He gets angry at F at times during the hangouts, especially if they're short, while Trevor is always grateful for the hangouts and company. F does push M away both during story mode and even afterwards. Michael will legit lose at darts and he'll say " We both know I let you win" which doesn't make F too happy (his expressions give that away.) Whines when I have to have him leave the strip club bc I'm tired of being in there already etc. For someone like me who was a die hard fan of Michael to love someone like Trevor and of course Franklin, that's a huge shift. Yes T has his rampages (which I can't pass) but legit those are brought on by others. I also like how he isn't afraid to defend you if someone starts something or the cops shoot at you, whereas Michael just sat there, which I didn't appreciate having to shoot while driving 90 mph at the same time. (This is after story is complete.) I like Ned Luke a lot, his depiction of Michael is excellent, he really lended a lot of credence to it, but Michael himself is a snake at the end of the day. I much prefer Franklin or Trevor. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:34 PM, boomboom5950 said:

i personally love the character of trevor, his actions are the result of a rough childhood and i love watching his cutscenes and interactions with people. Trevor and lamar are my favorite characters in GTA 5 because they are funny and well written characters.

I agree, Lamar is hilarious and with Trevor thrown into the mix, I always end up laughing at the dialogue. 

• Like 1

_ Grand Theft Auto _

Trevor was close to being a great character, but they went too far and made him goofy.

• Like 2

Ertan Soner

Also how he punish Michael through the story. All he did was whine, whine and whine. He can't forget about past, he can't let it go. Seriously it's annoying. 

• Like 2

i havent played as trevor yet but i have seen most of his story. he seems like an interesting character though, as far as i can tell.

• 6 months later...
DarthZytsigma69

Trevor is just the most chaotic and craziest GTA protagonists. But Claude, CJ and Toni will be more evil than Trevor by a facts. Claude is the most cold blooded GTA protagonist and he has no hesitation. CJ and Toni have very high kill count, committed some of the most heinous actions and some of the most brutal kills in GTA series. CJ buried the foreman who was in a mobile toilet alive under a cement and Toni chopped a guy up into a pieces then delivered it to that guy's own meat store make Trevor tortured Mr K a tame action. 

On 4/25/2022 at 2:53 AM, Americana said:

There is nothing serious about this stupid plot. This is what I hate about this and other characters in the game.

Well GTA communities can be pretty toxic because some people express a pretty offensive opinion on any GTA protagonist or game. 

Edited by DarthZytsigma69

1 hour ago, DarthZytsigma69 said:

Trevor is just the most chaotic and craziest GTA protagonists. But Claude, CJ and Toni will be more evil than Trevor by a facts. Claude is the most cold blooded GTA protagonist and he has no hesitation.

CJ more evil than Trevor? That's not true. CJ doesn't kill anyone for fun like Trevor does.

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

DarthZytsigma69
6 minutes ago, The Artist said:

CJ more evil than Trevor? That's not true. CJ doesn't kill anyone for fun like Trevor does.

CJ killed innocent such as hotel valet, cameraman and bald man for his personal gain or to seize his business and has a lot higher kill count than Trevor and Trevor won't kill his best friends if they betrayed him. Also CJ betrayed a several people. 

Edited by DarthZytsigma69

On 4/20/2022 at 4:03 PM, WanteD1 said:

Trevor = The best character R* ever created! IMO

It's hard to read what you've said bro, you simply didn't understand this character at all! 

I noticed people that had High level life and good parents and good friends and good everything... they can't understand people like Trevor even in real life! With one smile or fake laugh or dialogue from Trevor, I can understand so much back story even from his childhood! on other hand liars/betrayers like Michael and losers like Franklin get all the credits because they look cool in first look! but Trevor in first look looks like a miserable sh!t! exactly like real life!  

My dyslexia wouldn’t let me read the first posts in this topic but you are on the spot man.

Yeah, some times he can be a little crazy, but there is no other character that has as big of a heart as Trevor.

He has a big heart and is probobly the most loyal character in the GTA-series besides maybe Ceasar Vialpando. I mean, if he wasn’t Michael would be dead.

Michael is complete rat, and Franklin I dont know where to place him. He is a douche to pretty much every one in the game besides.. Well, you…

The only one that Franklin is ever acting nice to is YOUR GTA Online-Character..

On 11/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Bigglo145 said:

Trevor is a rapist though and a cannibal which is why i hated playing as him. Hes so dirty

Wtf are you on about, when did he rape? And when did he eat anyone?

On 4/29/2022 at 5:45 AM, Ertan Soner said:

Also how he punish Michael through the story. All he did was whine, whine and whine. He can't forget about past, he can't let it go. Seriously it's annoying. 

Michael should just be happy he is alive. 

Think about it. 
Trevor was living in Sandy Shores beliving that his best friend (Michael) is dead. Mean while he is also writing letters to his other best friend (Brian) that is belived to be in prison when he is actually dead.

then after what, 7-10 years, Michael is alive, and Brian is dead. What do you expect Trevor to do? Give Michael a pat on the head saying ”good boy” like a dog?😂

I cannot believe people are trying to claim Trevor has a good heart. The dude beats and bullies anyone he likes, and rapes* and/or kills almost everyone he doesn't. He's irredeemable scum. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't call the way he treats Floyd, Wade, and Ron loyal. I'd call it sh*tty. Just because he cried at the hallucination of his mother doesn't absolve him of anything. 

*Okay I really only remember the scene with Floyd but other than that he also threatens it a bunch. 

Edited by JRC99
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Larsolof said:

Wtf are you on about, when did he rape? And when did he eat anyone?

Uhh im pretty sure he raped floyd?? And im also pretty sure theres a switching cutscene where theres human bones around him when he wakes up (havent played storymode in years)

• Like 1

I don't know, comparing Trevor's in game record to my online player's, he looks like a bonafide saint...

41R2THM.png

jmysCG5.png

I know that's not the discussion here really, but honestly, with how psychotic they tried to make Trevor appear, he didn't do much of anything of note that wasn't required by missions when I used him, which is to say, very little. He's not really my cup of tea.

• 3 weeks later...
Homicidal Hipster

Edge lords are fake and tend to hide behind an online persona. That's not Trevor. He's legitimately a whacky ass motherf*cker. He's not trying to prove himself to anyone or be something he's not. He is what he is. So imo your analysis of him falls flat. I think he's the most complex character in the game along with Michael. 

• Like 2

I think a lot of people miss the point about this game. It's a game about criminals, drugs, violence, sex, robbery, murder, perversion, etc. It's a game about excess and the decadence that comes with it. In fact, the game dares to go where other criminal stories don't. It's violent, cruel, and doesn't care about anything and anyone. Consequently, all the characters in the game are cruel, irrational and violent at some point.

It is a satire of our own society. It's the reflection of our own world without the filters of morality, which the creators of the game love and criticize at the same time. Perhaps because both, they and we, are part of that world where we all live together with our own madness and vices. That would explain why the game sometimes tends to glorify violence, money and cruelty with other people, but also it satirises and even sometimes condemns it. That is an important part of our world, and the game allows itself to make fun of everyone: macho men, feminist women, homosexuals, Italian-American gangsters, South Americans, capitalists, communists, rednecks, prostitutes, drug addicts, drug dealers, rich people, poor people, dumb people, teenagers, old people, drunk people, psychopaths, hippies, politicians, police, military, actors, artists, musicians, nerds, famous people, religious people, black, white and foreign people... hardly anyone is saved from his satirical and mocking gaze.

At least for me, it's an uncomfortable game to play at times, but I love it at the same time. It has a lot of cruel scenes, and it's full of unstable, shallow, stupid and violent people. It is a reflection of the rotten part of our society. I think what the game is trying to express is this: we all live together in a frequently rotten and shallow society, the best thing you can do about that is stay close to your people and never betray them, because they are the only ones who will always be there to support you, no matter what. No matter how bad or stupid they may be. Betrayal towards your friends and loved ones is a crime that the game condemns very much, it can be seen in almost every story in GTA.

Trevor, even being a bad person to the society, never betrays his friends and loved ones.

Edited by Storm 3000
  • Like 1

Homicidal Hipster

People like to say things like " Trevor isn't loyal!! Look at the way he treats Ron and Wade" which is entirely missing the point. Ron and Wade are just his lackeys.. tools he uses and controls through fear. You can't do friendship activities with either of them can you? People like Michael, Franklin, Jimmy and Lamar, those are his true friends. And his loyalty to them is unquestionable. Trevor was literally written to be loyal. Denying that fact is like saying Michael isn't a movie fanatic. Or that Franklin isn't rebellious against the gang life. It's ingrained into their characters.