3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Trevor Phillips: The Cringiest Edgelord in GTA History

FewPoleCat42

FewPoleCat42

Look, I know Trevor has been talked about to death here. Whether it be for his ups, his downs, or his presence in the fanbase, he is undoubtedly one hot topic. I want everyone to know before reading this thread that I love GTA V. It's not my favorite Rockstar game (GTA IV, Red Dead 2, GTA San Andreas) but it's a fun, enjoyable little game with a lot of cool features such as the car customization, fun special abilities, a big if empty open world, the weapon wheel, oh the glorious weapon wheel and some really funny moments. I even enjoy the action movie story that can seem a bit too dumb at times and has a LOT of holes that I want to talk about at some other point, but there's one character in this story that really ruins the experience for me: Trevor Phillips.

Trevor is a character with a very divided reputation. You either love Trevor, or you hate Trevor. There is no inbetween that I've ever seen. I personally hate Trevor, but I do like certain aspects of his character. To get the good out of the way to focus on my point, I do find him really funny in certain missions, like the drive to LS in Friends Reunited, his interactions with Floyd and Wade and especially the Martin Madrazo arc where he kidnaps Patricia and basically forces Michael to live with him (Easily the best part of the story that should have been expanded more.) and I think his character gets very well developed near the latter part of the game, like I said during the whole Patricia and Michael arrangement up until he saves Michael from the various armies attacking him and Dave. Then he goes back to being a bad character.

So what makes Trevor a bad character? Trevor is a very popular protagonist, who I believe influenced a terrible trend in main characters following the game's release, even if slightly: Nihilistic, cringey, overpowered edgelords who always win no matter what, with zero consequence. The Joker from Suicide Squad, Modern Randy Marsh from South Park and Rick Sanchez are the grossest examples I can think of personally, both of which are definitely inspired a little by Trevor and his popularity. Trevor is a bad character because his only real 'flaws' (Being a blood hungry maniac, killing for sport, cannibalism, unpredictable outbursts of anger, anti social behavior, being a creepy rapist, kidnapping innocent people for profit and so much more that we typically killed antagonists for in other GTA games) really aren't weighing him down much. People are terrified of him, but as a business man that's what he wants. Even so, Tracy loves him, Jimmy willingly hangs out with him and Lamar seems to like this about him. The only people who regularly call him out are Michael and Dave/Amanda in private. And those who dare oppose him? Well, they die of course! (Spoilers for the story mode for the uninitiated)

Spoiler

Michael can be killed, O'neil brothers are destroyed once by him alone and the second time with the help of his friends, Wei Cheng never even sees Trevor until he decides to make a deal to get Michael killed, Wei Jr. and his translator are weaklings under his boot that he doesn't end up needing, Franklin ends up defending Trevor more often than not after their rocky start, Steve Haines dies at his hand, Martin Madrazo somehow allows Trevor to get close enough to cut off his ear without alerting security, Patricia ends up loving him because of her attraction to criminals, Ortega does basically nothing to retaliate against Trevor if you kill him early, and if you don't he and his entire team die without a single kill to their name despite having the advantage against T and Chef.  Do I even have to mention Johnny and The Lost? How he so easily runs over Clay and Terry, destroys an entire business of the Lost three times over pretty much alone and kills Johnny like he's nothing? I don't think so.

You get my point. And then there's the cringe one liners and the needless sucker punches to characters we care about. "My name's Trevor, what's your name", his spiel on torture to Mr. K, "That statue meant more to me than Johnny K meant to anyone", "You mind that I f*cked your old lady?!", "Trevor Phillips, Remember that!". Ugh.. Just such sh*tty lines obviously written to pander to nihilists who worship crazy characters because they're "Sooooo quirky!!" Let's not forget the rampage missions where Trevor easily tanks bullets and cars and even actual tanks in which no law comes after him and he gets off scot free after murdering large amounts of people in highly populated areas (Unlike Vice City, IV and San Andreas, these are entirely non gang related and also are completely canon.)  and his incredible special ability that allows him to tank bullets and explosions like they're nothing. 

Look, I get that Trevor was always kind of meant to symbolize the type of GTA player that loves causing chaos and nothing else, but it just ends up feeling like pandering to an audience that's very easy to please, especially when he is the only character in the game with basically 0 flaws except for the fact that he's lonely and FUBAR. Let's look at the other two for example: Michael has a family that hates him, a shrink that doesn't care about him, friends who don't talk to him and extreme anger issues that make him want to kill people for the smallest things. He's a liar, a thief, a deadbeat father and an unfaithful husband, he's a hypocrite and he suppresses how sh*tty of a person he is by calmly soaking in the sun away from his family or pretending like he's just some dad in a 1980s movie fantasy, stuck in the past. In reality, Michael is only stuck in his golden era when he liked thieving and crime, he was good at robberies and he was genuinely alive. He misses that life and it shows in his extreme actions, as well as his talks with his therapist and how he takes on Franklin. He develops as a character throughout the story, being more honest with himself, toning down his anger and focusing it all on people who actually deserve it, helping his kids and wife, protecting his family and making an honest living under Solomon Richards. He's a flawed person who becomes better over time, which is why he's a great character.

Franklin is a bit harder to call good after the recent Online update basically ruined his character, but he's still much better than Trevor. At first glance, Franklin is a boring, bland attempted recapture of Carl Johnson, but beneath the surface is a gangster who never really fit into that lifestyle. He's a man whose entire family has been influenced by gang warfare and drugs, turning him off from it all. He's only really about that life because of his living situation practically forcing him to be in a gang. He's stepped on by dumbasses like Lamar, Denise and Tanya, the love of his life wants nothing to do with him because of his gangster lifestyle and even his boss Simeon sees him as nothing more than a bend over boy who has an intimidating face. Franklin is a loser, a nobody and a creep who can't let the only sense of normalcy in his life, Tanisha, go. So he looks for easy joys instead. He goes to strip clubs and presumably has sex with strippers because they're girls who really don't put up much of an argument or fight, he wants to become Forum Gangsters with Lamar to get away from the rest of the dying, dilapidated GCF, he does whatever Michael says because he takes him seriously and sees criminal potential within him at a very vulnerable stage of his life. He even states that he'd rather get beaten by Vagos than engage in a gun fight with them because he doesn't want to be in that life anymore, but when all chips are down, easy money is to be made and no one seemingly cares about Franklin Clinton, he falls into his dark side. He becomes more successful than Stretch and Lamar, he becomes more bold allowing him to talk back to Stretch despite how powerful he is and Trevor for a time, he becomes Lester's hit man and gets an extreme ego boost after getting a big house in Vinewood Hills. His ego drives him to become more powerful, he looks down on Lamar and the GCF, he becomes the mediator between Michael and Trevor because now he even sees himself as larger than them. If you choose either A or B endings, Franklin doesn't have much of an issue with offing either option and treats the entire situation like business as usual, then calls up Lamar and asks if he wants to hang out as if nothing happened. If you choose C, Franklin's ego grows even further, giving him the confidence to take on an entire army, as he believes he can do it. And he does. He is a flawed character who, before Online, paid for this by having to give up the woman of his dreams, the respect of his friends, his law abiding ways and an honest life. Unfortunately, Online made him have his cake and eat it too like Trevor, but we'll ignore that.

Spoiler

Even in Trevor's death, he's the one calling the shots. He literally tells Franklin to kill him because he just doesn't care anymore. Franklin doesn't even deal the major blow like he does with Michael, he gets rammed and crashes into an oil tank. I don't know how anyone could possibly enjoy a character that's so uncaring and OP that he is the cause of his own death.

Lastly, I wanna touch on the biker elephant in the room: Johnny K. Mr. Phillips is one of the worst story missions in GTA on purpose. If you are a Johnny fan at all, this mission is designed to make you hate Trevor. Or, maybe it's designed to make you love him. The mission basically tells you "Hey, remember that other badass HD era character who was devoutly loyal to his people, couldn't tolerate snakes, was bald and aging, was batsh*t insane when it came to gunplay and had a ton of government connections? Well, meet the new crazy, gang leading, badass, bald and aging protagonist who is WAY better than that biker clown. Watch Trevor Phillips f*ck Ashley Butler, Johnny's girlfriend (i guess?), demean him in his pathetically high state (wait isn't Trevor always on drugs? Isn't Johnny sober and completely against crystal?) and kill him easily. Then, you can even kill Ashley, or don't, who cares she dies anyways! GTA IV is garbage until nostalgia pandering tells us to bring back the Lost in Online for higher player numbers or bring back classic characters like Tony and Brucie so they can be basic shopkeeps whose appearance adds nothing to the experience! Yee-haw, I love Trevor Phillips!"

I think I've made my point. Tell me your thoughts below.

Flymystical-DJ

I agree with you though while the game seemingly shows M and F in a bad light for the life they lead Trevor is usually praised for it. All I have to say is that this is why they let you Kill Trevor at the end. I personally like the ending where Trevor is killed. It was a bit rushed but I thought it was a satisfying end to a character that I feel similarly to you about. Because of the ending I'm able to enjoy Trevor's character despite the terrible things he does, just like M and F.

At first glance, Franklin is a boring, bland attempted recapture of Carl Johnson, but beneath the surface is a gangster who never really fit into that lifestyle.

This is a fantastic description of Franklin. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who hated what Online did to Franklin, the second he mentioned being back with Tanisha I knew that they had thrown all his nuance out the window. GTA is now written for the people who thought Deathwish was the most well written ending because it made them happy :) and A and B were badly written because it made them sad :(

Edited by Flymystical-DJ
  • Like 3

FewPoleCat42
16 minutes ago, Flymystical-DJ said:

I agree with you though while the game seemingly shows M and F in a bad light for the life they lead Trevor is usually praised for it. All I have to say is that this is why they let you Kill Trevor at the end. I personally like the ending where Trevor is killed. It was a bit rushed but I thought it was a satisfying end to a character that I feel similarly to you about. Because of the ending I'm able to enjoy Trevor's character despite the terrible things he does, just like M and F.

This is a fantastic description of Franklin. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who hated what Online did to Franklin, the second he mentioned being back with Tanisha I knew that they had thrown all his nuance out the window. GTA is now written for the people who thought Deathwish was the most well written ending because it made them happy :) and A and B were badly written because it made them sad :(

This is exactly what I'm talking about. GTA is like the ultimate get away with murder fantasy now, no consequence once you lose those five stars, no more problems, no loose ends. You either die in the story mode or live long enough to see yourself become happy but undeveloped. I know killing Trevor is the "Good" option for people like us, but it just feels so flat. It's barely cinematic, it doesn't feel like a real ending, it doesn't fit Franklin's opinion of Trevor (though I guess it does fit his egotistical self preservation) and Trevor still technically wins because he calls out Michael and Franklin as the betrayers they truly are. That's all he really wanted to do, to be proven right and to hold power, and he did both in his last moments.

But then Michael's ending is meh and Deathwish is just terrible. I don't know. The game should have been longer, should have had more stuff with tying up loose ends instead of just one big, lame mission where everything is settled neatly without any police attention. You're telling me Wei Chang is killed and an army of triads don't go after Franklin? Stretch dies and GCF isn't chasing down Michael? Devin Weston is KIDNAPPED and gunshots are heard at his house and the FIB isn't immediately alerted? And Steve Haines gets killed and police are nowhere to be found. Also, isn't Steve's death going to get Dave investigated and Michael found out? All endings suck. I guess Ending B is the best if you're looking for Franklin's rise and fall as well as a truly miserable Trevor, Ending A is best if you hate Trevor and like the other two and still want Franklin's kill or be killed side to be shown at its fullest, and Ending C is best if you want all 3 characters around. 

• Like 3

NightmanCometh96

I think you've summed it up quite well, for the most part. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people praise Trevor for his fierce loyalty to those close to him. And I suppose he is loyal, in his own twisted way, but the way it's portrayed just exacerbates his unlikability. Notice how I did not refer to the people in Trevor's life as his "friends". I just can't describe them as such with a straight face because of how he treats them (as well as the people he meets in general). This is the same guy who, among other things, is constantly abusive and manipulative to those around him (particularly walking over timid/weak people, such as Ron or Floyd), essentially kidnapped Wade after murdering his friends his friends "abandoned him", and is heavily, heavily implied to have raped Floyd after taking over the latter's fiancé's home (even if Trevor didn't literally rape him, Floyd sure as hell did not consent to whatever was done to him, as he was extremely uncomfortable and on the verge of tears afterwards). And I never even mentioned the cannibalism (both his own diet and the fact that he offloads strangers to a cult of cannibals). UPDATE: Say what you will about

Spoiler

Michael being a snake, but if I were in his shoes, I'd do the same f*cking thing if the alternative was to keep working/interacting with someone that had even a fraction of Trevor's traits.

Another thing that I'm not really a fan of is how the game plays up the "random/funny for the LOLZ!" aspects of his character once he gets to Los Santos (coincidentally, right around the same point where I feel V's narrative takes a nosedive that it never really recovers from). There was an earlier build of the game from 2012 (that was sadly never leaked in a playable form because of Take-Two's scumminess, to put it lightly, although there is a YouTube video with data from it if you know where to look); what's interesting is that there's dialogue from an earlier version of "Fame or Shame" where Trevor sounds much more menacing that he does in the final. It just seems like R* didn't know exactly what they wanted the tone for the character to be throughout development, and the inconsistencies we see in the final game are the result of that. I'd go as far to say Trevor himself is the embodiment of one of the main reasons I was never the biggest fan of V: it’s as if R* wanted to simultaneously please the fans of the wackier/arcadey gameplay and tone of the 3D Era, and those who preferred GTA IV’s more nuanced and grounded approach. Since V usually leans towards the lighter side of things, its use of the latter comes across as half-assed in comparison.

That said, the one positive of Trevor for me, as someone who took an instant dislike to him from the second that he was revealed (and later on, his character trailer) is his voice actor/motion capture, Steven Ogg. Say what you will about Trevor as a character, but Ogg's performance was legitimately great. It wasn't enough to entirely save the character IMO, but it did help in making him more bearable whenever he is onscreen. 

Edited by NightmanCometh96

FewPoleCat42

I really couldn't have said it better myself. I'd love to see the demo where he's less "HAHA XD" and more scary, as I actually think Trevor works better as an antagonist that we're supposed to hate than a protagonist we love because he's a funny random crazy jerk. I think if Rockstar really went all out with Trevor as a serious character, he could have been an even better antagonist than Tenpenny. I'm serious. Have him be a constant terrifying threat, have him actually do creepy things to Michael's family like stalk Tracey to verify she's safe or interrupt one of Amanda's nights out with Fabien, like you said he has the perfect actor to portray a terrifying threat against Michael and Franklin, they just didn't do him justice in this regard. Instead he has to be this character you're not supposed to take seriously but also are supposed to take seriously. It's ridiculous and feels as if they wanted to please everyone. It flopped, obviously.

I also really hate how Trevor is a rapist cannibalizing murderer who is completely okay with taking out innocents and family members, but if you're sexist or racist? Oh no, he's going to kill you! It's like Rockstar went all in but knew that Trevor being a truly hateful person would not go over well with fans. We hate him for what he did to Johnny, but imagine him going around and blatantly being racist to Ballas members or calling women the weaker sex. It's funny because he's definitely racist towards Canadians and Mexicans, yet he ends up killing people like Joe and Josef for the exact same thing after HELPING them. He is the ultimate pander character.

• Like 4

Lock n' Stock

Total gimmick character really. Brilliantly voiced by Stephen Ogg, but no real depth beyond "he's crazy". He does have his ups and downs however, and is probably the most fun out of the 3 to play as during free-roam.

• Like 2

Edward RDRIII

Thankfully Rockstar learned how to do crazy/evil characters with Micah, he is a evil guy who don't pretend to be good, only when he wants to manipulate people such as Dutch and what not, but Arthur and Hosea sees cleary through him that he is just plain evil, the story just wouldn't be the same without him as he cleary is RDR2's main antagonist, not Dutch as many people think. In Trevor's case I think he would also work better as a normal character like Brad and Lester rather than as a protagonist and I'll go as far as saying that most players would kill him if this was the case and we could still kill Stretch, Steve and Devin regardless of this choice too, perhaps even Wei Cheng as Franklin during "Fresh Meat", this way the game would have a more realistic story where we don't tie up every single loose end at once. Both Michael and Franklin don't truly like Trevor, not even in the end, that's a fact, so something just feels kinda off about him being on that trio, plus Franklin would have way more screen time with more main missions about him, rather than just being the character with the most amount of Strangers and Freaks.

Edited by Edward RDRIII
Comment corrected.
  • KEKW 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Trevor = The best character R* ever created! IMO

It's hard to read what you've said bro, you simply didn't understand this character at all! 

I noticed people that had High level life and good parents and good friends and good everything... they can't understand people like Trevor even in real life! With one smile or fake laugh or dialogue from Trevor, I can understand so much back story even from his childhood! on other hand liars/betrayers like Michael and losers like Franklin get all the credits because they look cool in first look! but Trevor in first look looks like a miserable sh!t! exactly like real life!  

• Like 1
  • KEKW 2

NightmanCometh96

Just wanted to beat a dead horse give my two cents on, shall I say, the polarizing way in which Johnny was written. I'm not against the idea of killing off returning characters, let alone a prior protagonist, but holy sh*t, R* absolutely could have handled this aspect of V's narrative with more reverence than they did. Perhaps The Lost could have been Trevor's primary antagonist (or at the very least, a bigger threat than they ended up being) throughout the story, with a climactic encounter with the gang near the end of the game that cumulates in a one-on-one fight between T and (a significantly more competent) Johnny.

In the final game, his death (and his portrayal as being a shell of his formal self) comes off as a "joke" and a forced bit of writing to show how "badass", "threatening" and crazy/unpredictable Trevor can be; it's the equivalent of that comic book trope where an edgy new villain murders an established one to tell the readers that they mean business (e.g. Kaine offing Doctor Octopus if you're familiar with the 90s Spider-Man Clone Saga, but I digress). Much like the rest of the game, it also feels like a deliberate middle finger to GTA IV and its fanbase, due to how polarizing the game was (and arguably still is) among players despite being a critical and financial success.

Edited by NightmanCometh96

Bratva Assassin

Not entirely. Donald Love is actually the cringiest edge lord in the GTA franchise IMO. He’s an actual Pure Evil in the GTA franchise. Frank Tenpenny, Dimitri Rascalov, Ray Bulgarin, and Catalina are also even dirtier dogs than Trevor. Trevor is not even near Pure Evil but he’s certainly a step above standard evil.

Edward RDRIII
10 minutes ago, WanteD1 said:

Trevor = The best character R* ever created! IMO

It's hard to read what you've said bro, you simply didn't understand this character at all! 

I noticed people that had High level life and good parents and good friends and good everything... they can't understand people like Trevor even in real life! With one smile or fake laugh or dialogue from Trevor, I can understand so much back story even from his childhood! on other hand liars/betrayers like Michael and losers like Franklin get all the credits because they look cool in first look! but Trevor in first look looks like a miserable sh!t! exactly like real life!  

You always have to have an opinion contrary to everyone else's don't you? Here, on the GTA 6 subforum, you're just so cool.

4 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

You always have to have an opinion contrary to everyone else's don't you? Here, on the GTA 6 subforum, you're just so cool.

But you look cooler than me after this reply!  
Can't you see I said IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's my humble opinion! 

Edward RDRIII
Just now, WanteD1 said:

But you look cooler than me after this reply!  
Can't you see I said IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's my humble opinion! 

The thing is your humble opinion is always picking up on someone else's and going against it, saying we don't understand this, we don't understand that, I'm sure I know Trevor's background as much as you do or even more, that he had a abusive father who abandoned him in a mall and he burnt it to the ground as revenge later, that he had a prostitute mother and that's why he can't stand no one calling him a motherf*cker, bla bla bla, I still don't give a damn, other people such as Floyd, Wade and Ron don't deserve to suffer for his issues, he is a damn psychopath bastard who deserves to be blasted.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThatBenGuy1998 said:

Donald Love is actually the cringiest edge lord in the GTA franchise IMO. He’s an actual Pure Evil in the GTA franchise.

Donald Love is classy evil, the opposite of cringe I'd say (in GTA III).

Edited by ejoty
GTA III

9 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

The thing is your humble opinion is always picking up on someone else's and going against it, saying we don't understand this, we don't understand that, I'm sure I know Trevor's background as much as you do or even more, that he had a abusive father who abandoned him in a mall and he burnt it to the ground as revenge later, that he had a prostitute mother and that's why he can't stand no one calling him a motherf*cker, bla bla bla, I still don't give a damn, other people such as Floyd, Wade and Ron don't deserve to suffer for his issues, he is a damn psychopath bastard who deserves to be blasted.

Dude sometimes opinions are like A or B
Why I can't say B if you and others think A is right! lol
Maybe I shouldn't reply people and say you don't understand but I don't mean dude you are dumb and you don't understand it! I just mean you didn't look that this way!!!! I don't think it's rude! and that's how a discussion begins!

Ok it's your opinion, but... IMO Trevor and Micah and other bad guys in games/movies are there so good guys can shine more

And also who was take caring Meth addict Wade and Ron with his disability if Trevor wasn't there?! Trevor used Floyd (just like everyone else that are using each other in the story) but when Floyd's whore GF killed him, Trevor revenged! Who was first person that cared about Tracey when she was getting abused by Lazlow? Actually Trevor never lied or betrayed someone in the whole story! 

Reading all this essay I imagined, that probably even at rockstar never thinks too deep about him. He is antihero that do drugs for better skills.

Trevor Philips is just all gta players imagined as GTA protagonist and it works great. There is no need for rampages with Michael the well known businessman when we had Trevor. Trevor is guy for everything evil in this game.

• Like 1

Edward RDRIII
2 minutes ago, WanteD1 said:

Dude sometimes opinions are like A or B
Why I can't say B if you and others think A is right! lol
Maybe I shouldn't reply people and say you don't understand but I don't mean dude you are dumb and you don't understand it! I just mean you didn't look that this way!!!! I don't think it's rude! and that's how a discussion begins!

Ok it's your opinion, but... IMO Trevor and Micah and other bad guys in games/movies are there so good guys can shine more

And also who was take caring Meth addict Wade and Ron with his disability if Trevor wasn't there?! Trevor used Floyd (just like everyone else that are using each other in the story) but when Floyd's whore GF killed him, Trevor revenged! Who was first person that cared about Tracey when she was getting abused by Lazlow? Actually Trevor never lied or betrayed someone in the whole story! 

I wouldn't have responded to you directly if you hadn't reacted to my comment with a "KEKW" first, so I knew your opinion was about mine, Trevor took care of Wade after killing his friends, if you think that's right then there's something wrong with your way of thinking, he took care of Ron while robbing his money sometimes such as in "Nervous Ron" where he tells Ron to give him his money because of his statue being broken and basically made him a slave of his own to serve him, just like Big Bear being B-Dup's crack slave on GTA San Andreas, and he avenged Floyd's death after making a hell of his living, destroying his girlfriend's house and raping him, I know Debra wasn't good or loyal at least, but being cheated is better than being dead to my understanding, it's you who is missing the point here.

• Like 3

universetwisters
23 minutes ago, ejoty said:

Donald Love is classy evil, the opposite of cringe I'd say.

He was classy in III but in LCS he was just like "wah wah wah toni pls help me win politics also I eat people"

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

GTA V's storyline is full of these awkward shock value bits with characters built on stereotypes. You would be hard pressed to find any depth in the storyline that isn't already spelled out for the player. Trevor is just the worst case in all of this. Michael and Franklin really aren't that different. Michael's main character flaw is vague and poorly-represented and Franklin's character flaws aren't even character flaws, they're actually strengths of his character that railroad him into doing what the plot requires of him. For Michael, his "anger issues" are never actually represented in a way where they might change the audience's perception of his character; him selling out his best friend is actually justified by the fact his "best friend" is a lunatic the audience have already been shown is completely unhinged. Michael being hated by his family is something the audience is shown to be a fault of the family and NOT of Michael. Franklin never really finding a place in the hood is actually a strength of his character, since it implies ambition, something which his whole character is based around like they couldn't think of anything more to add to him. And to add to this, it's never really established why Franklin wants to leave the hood. You can probably say "luxuries", but that's a copout, and a very shallow excuse for Franklin to be the prime mover in this plotline. 

CJ was different to Franklin in this regard, since his ambition also stemmed from his cowardice. CJ only ever wanted to leave Grove Street because he blamed himself for the death of his brother and felt like an outcast around Sweet. CJ's biggest character strength is actually something that disadvantages him. For Franklin, it never actually distances him from his friends or disadvantages him in any way. Even in the online mode several years later, Franklin is still hanging out with Lamar like nothing happened to create distance between the two. It doesn't feel organic. 

• Like 2

Edward RDRIII
5 minutes ago, SageFan said:

GTA V's storyline is full of these awkward shock value bits with characters built on stereotypes. You would be hard pressed to find any depth in the storyline that isn't already spelled out for the player. Trevor is just the worst case in all of this. Michael and Franklin really aren't that different. Michael's main character flaw is vague and poorly-represented and Franklin's character flaws aren't even character flaws, they're actually strengths of his character that railroad him into doing what the plot requires of him. For Michael, his "anger issues" are never actually represented in a way where they might change the audience's perception of his character; him selling out his best friend is actually justified by the fact his "best friend" is a lunatic the audience have already been shown is completely unhinged. Michael being hated by his family is something the audience is shown to be a fault of the family and NOT of Michael. Franklin never really finding a place in the hood is actually a strength of his character, since it implies ambition, something which his whole character is based around like they couldn't think of anything more to add to him. And to add to this, it's never really established why Franklin wants to leave the hood. You can probably say "luxuries", but that's a copout, and a very shallow excuse for Franklin to be the prime mover in this plotline. 

Franklin wanted to leave the hood because people like Stretch are always trying to say where he belongs on the gang, exchanging money for his participation on it, making alliance with the Ballas and then blaming Franklin and Lamar when things go wrong, etc. Sure Franklin and Lamar tried to kidnap D, but he is from a rival gang isn't he? That wasn't supposed to be a problem for Stretch if he was actually loyal to the Families. And about Lamar, Franklin don't dislike him, that's why they're still friends all these years later, his problem with Lamar is he being too dumb to put them both into trouble constantly and not being able to tell right from wrong, like blaming Franklin for some things that happens throughout the story instead of Stretch, he even tried to create a brand new division of the Families with him, the Forum Gangsters, but Lamar didn't have the balls to talk with Stretch about it on "The Long Stretch".

NightmanCometh96
1 hour ago, universetwisters said:

He was classy in III but in LCS he was just like "wah wah wah toni pls help me win politics also I eat people"

Since you brought up LCS and Donald Love, I actually have to retract one of my previous points.

23 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

...the one positive of Trevor for me, as someone who took an instant dislike to him from the second that he was revealed (and later on, his character trailer) is his voice actor/motion capture, Steven Ogg. Say what you will about Trevor as a character, but Ogg's performance was legitimately great.

I have not one, but two positives to say about Trevor. Aside from Ogg's brilliant performance, I have to give T himself some credit for not being a domestic terrorist. Unlike Toni Cipriani, who agreed to blow up Fort Staunton  with no sign of remorse for just $5000. And he got away with it scot-free, too. :kekw:

• KEKW 2

universetwisters
2 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

I have to give T himself some credit for not being a domestic terrorist

Bruh what do you think he was gonna do with that superweapon from Merryweather

• Realistic Steak! 3

Edward RDRIII
8 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Thinking about it now, he wasn't in contact with Wei Cheng anymore by then to sell it to the "chinese", so maybe he wanted to realise his dream of dropping a nuke somewhere, well caught!

Edited by Edward RDRIII
Comment corrected.

Ahh yeah, was thinking of Donald Love in III, forgot about his flanderization in LCS. Devin Weston would come to mind first though when thinking about a cringey evil businessman.

9 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Is it domestic terrorism if he's Canadian?

universetwisters
Just now, ejoty said:

Is it domestic terrorism if he's Canadian?

Possibly, there's a few examples of foreign born terrorists being called domestic terrorists. Maybe if they're acting on their own agenda as opposed to being aligned with a group or something idk

JetNormalGuy

The part about cringey one-liners I just couldn't understand it, every GTA protagonist can be considered cringe if we follow that logic since they all say stuff Trevor says, "Tommy Vercetty! Remember the name!", "Toni Cipirani! remember the name!", "CJ! remember the name!" ect...

I don't find them cringe, I actually like when the character I control has stuff to say about whats happening instead of being quiet all the time.

Same thing about how Trevor can survive pretty much anything like tanks cars and bullets and tanks, are you forgeting what game you're playing? its GTA, the protagonists go through sh*t like this all the time, remember when Tommy straight up stole a tank from a military convoy surrounded by soldiers in broad daylight? remember the time when CJ went in alone in Big Smoke's crack fortress and single handedly wiped out 3 floors full to the brim with armed to the teeth gang members? remember when Toni bombed an ENTIRE DISTRICT for a measly 5k$ without any second thoughts? remember ALL the times where Niko, Johnny and Luis took on huge numbers of gangsters all by themselves and they always come out on top? and guess what? in all of these situations, the law didn't give a sh*t, the least that happened is it being talked about on the news and the cops are always "confused" on who did it, every GTA protagonist pulls off incredibly ridiculous sh*t and Trevor is no exception.

Edited by JetNormalGuy
  • Realistic Steak! 2

FewPoleCat42

I'll admit that every character goes pretty much undetected by the cops (Except for Johnny, CJ and Niko who actually have reasons for not being busted) and that I'm more upset over Trevor getting away unpunished and without flaws while doing horrible sh*t to innocent people like Floyd. Trevor's immunity against rampages and such is a problem for me because its less about the player having fun shooting things and feels more like it's praising how badass and edgy Trevor is once again. The battle dialogue is harmless, true.

• Like 1

universetwisters
2 hours ago, FewPoleCat42 said:

I'll admit that every character goes pretty much undetected by the cops (Except for Johnny, CJ and Niko who actually have reasons for not being busted) and that I'm more upset over Trevor getting away unpunished and without flaws while doing horrible sh*t to innocent people like Floyd. Trevor's immunity against rampages and such is a problem for me because its less about the player having fun shooting things and feels more like it's praising how badass and edgy Trevor is once again. The battle dialogue is harmless, true.

Literally every GTA protagonist can commit the most notorious crimes and they'll be absolved of their sins the second they leave a pay-n-spray. If you have this problem with Trevor, you should have this problem with every other protagonist

• Like 1

FewPoleCat42

Literally every GTA protagonist can commit the most notorious crimes and they'll be absolved of their sins the second they leave a pay-n-spray. If you have this problem with Trevor, you should have this problem with every other protagonist

Bro.. I just said that every character gets undetected so that point of my argument is null. My problem is that Trevor does bad things and these bad things are supposed to make him look like a cool, funny XD so badass character, like what he does to Floyd and Wade, or how he tortures Ron and cannibalizes innocent strangers instead of making him look like a terrible person, he's seen as a Deadpool type character who isn't meant to be taken seriously. Except they want you to take him seriously with things like references to his past, his loneliness, etc.

• Like 1

universetwisters
14 minutes ago, FewPoleCat42 said:

Bro.. I just said that every character gets undetected so that point of my argument is null

But why get upset at Trevor getting away with XYZ when all the other protagonists get away with XYZ?

15 minutes ago, FewPoleCat42 said:

he's seen as a Deadpool type character who isn't meant to be taken seriously. Except they want you to take him seriously with things like references to his past, his loneliness, etc.

Even when they're trying to be serious, the writers made it to where you just can't take it seriously. His dad abandoned him at a mall so he burned it down? He sodomized his hockey coach with a hockey stick? Either his life is hilariously tragic or he wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. And even then if you're looking to sympathize with GTA protagonists and try to find redeeming qualities in them its kinda hard to do so when, yknow, theyre gta protagonists