2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Why weren't the stories games ever ported to Xbox?

Zello

They started off as PSP games but both Liberty City stories and Vice City stories eventually made their way to the PS2. They weren't good ports but they still released them. There's a belief that they were Sony exclusives but I can't find any mention or reference of that anywhere though that was 16-17 years ago if it was it's probably hard to find. Also by the time Vice City Stories came to PS2 in 2007 the Xbox 360/PS3 generation was in full swing already and the original Xbox was pretty much dead by then but why couldn't they have ported it alongside the PS2 and release them at the same time? Unless they really were exclusives.

Edited by Zello

• 2 weeks later...
Algonquin Assassin

It’s likely because when LCS was released on the PSP it wasn’t using the original version of Renderware anymore and it was probably easier to port over to PS2 than Xbox.

That and/or R* simply didn’t care about porting the games to a dead platform. By the mid/late 00s no one was really supporting the Xbox outside of a few select third party studios. All the AAA developers like R* moved onto the 360/PS3.

The PS2 still had a strong following at the time which is why it wasn’t uncommon to still get PS2 versions of some games in the midst of the 360/PS3 generation whereas with Xbox it was pretty much as good as dead so I can understand why R* probably saw no point in releasing Xbox ports of those games.

• YEE 1
  • Realistic Steak! 2

They also closed down Rockstar Vienna which was responsible for a lot of their Xbox ports.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Magic_Al

LCS was ported to iOS and Android so that would seem to prove there's no exclusivity anymore. VCS not being ported might be due to insufficient sales of LCS to justify it. The VCS soundtrack would be more expensive to license compared to LCS.

• Like 1

Bratva Assassin

The answer is plain and simple. They just weren’t that good in comparison to III and VC.

Super Shizuku

I'll do you one better> "Why they were not primarily ported to PC?"

Spoiler

Yes, I know why. I just make a joke, so there's no need to answer this question.

Edited by Super Shizuku
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, ThatBenGuy1998 said:

The answer is plain and simple. They just weren’t that good in comparison to III and VC.

You must be smoking something. LCS and VCS are not just better they are SUPERIOR to III and VC.

Edited by Zello

Not only the Xbox port is missing. A port to the PC is also missing. This is much more important. 😛

I could imagine the following reasons.

• The engine, which is a kind of copy of the renderware Enigine, would have been too difficult to port. You can already see problems with the PS2 version.
  • The profit margin was simply not worth the effort for Rockstar.
  • Or Rockstar had an exclusive deal with Sony. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:35 PM, ThatBenGuy1998 said:

I didn't find either of the games worse than their predecessors. They may not have been as big and bloated as San Andreas, but they were worthy successors to GTA III and GTA Vice City with a few more extras. 

Edited by Stahli

0pcyvF4.png

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stahli said:

I didn't find either of the games worse than their predecessors. They may not have been as big and bloated as San Andreas, but they were worthy successors to GTA III and GTA Vice City with a few more extras. 

They were better and improved. They brought over the aiming and the health bars from San Andreas

Screen-Shot-2022-04-20-at-8-57-28-PM.png

grand-theft-auto-liberty-city-stories-20

They added motorcycles to Liberty City

Maxresdefault.jpg

Toni had outfits and could change clothes

giphy.gif?cid=790b761180efd0670ba7ef5e4b

There are a lot more side activities in LCS than 3.

Oh yeah and Toni can drive around Portland in peace without worrying about getting shot.

VCS was a better experience than VC. 

swimming1.jpg

Vic can f*cking swim

For all this talk about Tommy and his big empire and being a drug baron you barely touched it in VC

GTA-VCS-Screen-173.jpg

In VCS you built it up from the ground up and actually did the work. VC only had you do a mission or two for the assets. The empire building in VCS is better and more superior than the territories in SA and the assets in VC.

Vic also had the best fighting moves out of all the III era protagonists

Vic can grab people and snap necks

Edited by Zello

The #1 most important advantage of LCS and VCS was that they were playable on a portable platform
maxresdefault.jpg

When they were later ported to PS2 this advantage was lost, and there's a reason they had the budget game price point of USD 29.99 on PS2 at launch. The PS2 playerbase was larger, I suppose they thought Xbox or PC ports were not worth it (sadly).

That said, I wish they had made more games like LC/VC Stories or Chinatown Wars (I mean, who isn't tired of GTA V's story mode 8½ years after its release). Though sadly it seems it's cheaper to milk GTAO and let GSG butcher their classics instead.

@Zello For me you didn't have to list the improvements. 😛 I have both games and I think they are great, especially LCS. ;) I think if the games had been released before San Andreas, they would have gotten more attention from gamers. But after San Andreas came out, everyone was in the San Andreas hype. It was the new benchmark for many gamers.

• Like 1

0pcyvF4.png

• 2 weeks later...
Zello
On 4/18/2022 at 9:10 PM, Super Shizuku said:

I'll do you one better> "Why they were not primarily ported to PC?"

No PC port for LCS and VCS makes no sense either. I understand that Rockstar doesn't have a good relationship with the PC at all but still.

Super Shizuku
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, Zello said:

No PC port for LCS and VCS makes no sense either. I understand that Rockstar doesn't have a good relationship with the PC at all but still.

Spoiler

You just ruined the joke, thanks. 😕

Edited by Super Shizuku

Zello

Why haven't they been ported to Nintendo Switch? The Trilogy made it. These should definitely make it over there too.

Fenrill
On 5/4/2022 at 2:53 AM, Zello said:

Why haven't they been ported to Nintendo Switch? The Trilogy made it. These should definitely make it over there too.

I thought that too. I hoped for a complete edition, but we got a defective trilogy. Story wise, i liked vc more than vcs, but gameplay wise, it wouls have made a great addition in a collection. I wished of a ps2 version in hd release, like the ps4 Versions. But no, they gave us brocken down versions with no real improvements, more a they don't care at all port from the mobile versions and with unreal engine.  But you know that, i know that. Rockstar isn't rockstar anymore. Tbh, as a big fan and collector that own every gta on every plattform, i will not get gta 5 for ps5 and will not buy the trilogy on whatever wich plattform. I will boycott those and later games. There is a new devoloper with good known people that make maybe a gta killer. This will be more gta, by the people that work on it from start. We need to hold together and show take2 and sam, aka last guy from rockstar in rockstar games, that we aren't cows that can get milked like they milk the franchise. But i know, that's dream thoughts. To many casual fans and gamer just will still buy them.... Sigh... Sry for that long text. I needed to write that down. 

Hopefully they will fall down and going to far, so nobody will buy their games anymore. I am just so f*cking dissapointed. Just a theory. The joke in the end of gta 5, take 2 and sam didn't liked that, so that was one reason specific people got kicked out or left............. I mean, wasn't it kinda a addition for the next, now last gen version? On ps3 and 360 you also couldn't save them all, right? 

• 2 weeks later...

If they were to remaster LCS. The only thing I'd add would be the dodo and a flyable helicopter.

Posted (edited)

I'm really hoping that with this new Playstation Plus premium that the stories games are included. They've got to be right??? Fingers crossed.

Edited by Zello

universetwisters
44 minutes ago, Zello said:

I'm really hoping that with this new Playstation Plus premium that the stories games are included. They've got to be right??? Fingers crossed.

The prob won't include VCS tho but who cares when LCS was the better stories game :kekw::kekw:

Algonquin Assassin
7 hours ago, Zello said:

I seriously doubt it. The OG 3D era was delisted for the Definitive Edition so the chances of LCS and VCS being added are slim. Can't even buy VCS on the Vita store now (at least here in Aus) yet for some reason you can still buy LCS and CTW.

At best I think Bully, Max Payne and Red Dead Revolver might get added to new new PS Plus since they're already on the store. 

DeltaV20
On 5/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, Zello said:

If they were to remaster LCS. The only thing I'd add would be the dodo and a flyable helicopter.

They do exist in the game but they are unobtainable/Beta 
VCN , LCPD Maverick:

Spoiler

Hunter

Spoiler

Dodo

Spoiler

HOW'S ANNIE?
9 hours ago, DeltaV20 said:

Hunter

Reveal hidden contents

The Hunter was actually obtainable in the PSP and PS2 versions of the game. And be damned if they do ever remaster these games they better leave it untouched

• Like 3

DR Cherry Bomb
On 5/23/2022 at 9:29 PM, universetwisters said:

LCS was the better stories game :kekw::kekw:

No.

• Best Bru 1
  • Realistic Steak! 2