Why Lance betrayed Tommy?

MartySkater11

MartySkater11

What's up everybody! Some time ago I've added a post about Big Smoke's betrayal. I've realized that throughout the game there are many threads that might be difficult to notice. Therefore I wanted to know what you think and if you agree with guys that are making these videos. Then a thought striked me: what about Lance Vance? Unfortunately I didn't find anything related on TheProfessional's youtube channel. Do you know whether he released something on this topic? Anyway, few minutes ago I've watched a video called "WHY LANCE BETRAYS TOMMY VERCETTI?" or something. What was really puzzling me is fact that by summarizing this video, it turns out that Vance cooperated with Sonny Forelli much earlier than I thought. What do you think, guys?

LANCE_MINI.jpg

Edited by MartySkater11

Lance was never the sharpest tool in Tommy's shed, neither Vic's. He was always prone to rush into decisions without thinking, and he was also getting upset with people reminding him of that. He was a narcissist, always feeling on the right side and unable to see how badly he constantly messed things up. Despite that, I don't think either of the Vice City protagonists would have betrayed him on their own. Vic because it was his brother, and they were initially together earning money for their other brother's medical expenses. And Tommy because, even if he obviously didn't know Lance as well as Vic, saw him as loyal. He helped him take over Diaz, despite Lance messing up by wanting to revenge Vic earlier than intended.

But Lance's incompetence at being Tommy's second man only worsened his obsession with the idea people were constantly patronizing him, to the point it drove him into the wrong side. Lance was never the strongest guy in any of the gangs he took part. Diaz's, Vic's, Tommy's, you name it. He could have never been a potential ally to someone as powerful as Sonny Forelli. Sonny knew very well Tommy was doing businesses behind his back, and Tommy was unwilling to pay the cut he believed he was owed, so he needed someone close to Tommy who could rat him out. Sonny saw Lance being hungry for more and probably promised him a better treatment and a bigger share of participation on the business in exchange of the details of Tommy's plans. But he most likely would have got him killed ASAP if they succeeded taking over Tommy's empire. Sonny wasn't stupid; Lance ratted Tommy out in the end, and nobody likes snitches, even if they can be useful to you.

Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder...

CslLPae.png

...why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

MartySkater11
On 3/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, Nico said:

Lance was never the sharpest tool in Tommy's shed, neither Vic's. He was always prone to rush into decisions without thinking, and he was also getting upset with people reminding him of that. He was a narcissist, always feeling on the right side and unable to see how badly he constantly messed things up. Despite that, I don't think either of the Vice City protagonists would have betrayed him on their own. Vic because it was his brother, and they were initially together earning money for their other brother's medical expenses. And Tommy because, even if he obviously didn't know Lance as well as Vic, saw him as loyal. He helped him take over Diaz, despite Lance messing up by wanting to revenge Vic earlier than intended.

But Lance's incompetence at being Tommy's second man only worsened his obsession with the idea people were constantly patronizing him, to the point it drove him into the wrong side. Lance was never the strongest guy in any of the gangs he took part. Diaz's, Vic's, Tommy's, you name it. He could have never been a potential ally to someone as powerful as Sonny Forelli. Sonny knew very well Tommy was doing businesses behind his back, and Tommy was unwilling to pay the cut he believed he was owed, so he needed someone close to Tommy who could rat him out. Sonny saw Lance being hungry for more and probably promised him a better treatment and a bigger share of participation on the business in exchange of the details of Tommy's plans. But he most likely would have got him killed ASAP if they succeeded taking over Tommy's empire. Sonny wasn't stupid; Lance ratted Tommy out in the end, and nobody likes snitches, even if they can be useful to you.

Wow, very well said!

Lance never had quality leadership skills as Tommy to start something from scratch, yet he wanted to become successful like Tommy. He always created trouble and mess for Tommy.

He tried to betray tommy to take over business because he knew he couldn't start an empire like this on his own. So best for him was to ditch tommy and work under Sonny in Vice City.

Edited by Radz

• 3 weeks later...

I always perceived the betrayal took the place shortly after the intro of the game. It happened either before or shortly after The Party and Sonny ordered Lance to keep Tommy close.

Notice how in the Back Alley Brawl Lance says "I'll be watching you Tommy" despite not being introduced in any way? Sure You may say that Colonel said Tommy's name when setting up the deal, but for me it always seemed fishy. Especially that Lance always knew where Tommy was, when he could offer his help.

Sonny wanted Lance to know what was going on in Vice ("Well, I've heard you been busy all right. Busy killing drug barons. Busy taking over. Don't forget about us, Tommy. 'cause I can assure you, I ain't forgetting about you.") and when Tommy was close to taking over whole city to himself, Sonny stood up to take over everything. Lance feeling safe, with Sonny being around, uncovered all his cards, which he was holding for a long time. 

And why it happened? Lance felt very likely that Sonny with powerful family in LC was safer bet than one goon, straight out of the joint. He thought that very likely Sonny will let him keep the operation in Vice, after the take over, making him very rich and powerful man.   

Edited by Tycek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He was more than likely bribed by Sonny and offered a huge cash advance.

universetwisters
1 hour ago, Kyle F said:

He was more than likely bribed by Sonny and offered a huge cash advance.

But how would Sonny have known Lance was working with Tommy and in what capacity?

sTgL5iS.png

12 hours ago, universetwisters said:

But how would Sonny have known Lance was working with Tommy and in what capacity?

Put it into the perspective of this: Sonny likely had tabs on Tommy, people keeping an eye on him and his progress. How else would he have known to call Tommy asking about his money? Lance's brother was killed in that deal bust, remember? Lance probably had some 'secret' dealings or conversations with various 'people' who probably reported back to Sonny.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Indovercetti

Here's my theory" Vic Vance in the first cutscene doesn't look like like Vic From VCS.

It was probably someone else, given that his body language seems quite different

Tommy was a pawn for Sonny, He set up Tommy in a debt trap so that he can take over the city and then he'll get him killed thus he'll become a kingpin of VC

Lance was included in this plan since the beginning to report back to sonny on who he is meeting etc.

Diaz was the kingpin of the drugs thus lance used a fake name of quentin

It was time when Tommy was getting closer to Lance, 

Lance was ordered by Sonny to kill him so that he will not spill the bean

In a close bond between Tommy & Diaz, He might have revealed that Lance was the one who set him up.

Thus Lance was a snitch since the first encounter

Further my theory(assumption)

- Vic Vance is kidnapped by Sonny

- He's using that to control Lance

• 2 weeks later...
benjonas9385

Lance never did quality leadership but always tried to get his reward before tommy, It was his greediness which killed him.

• 1 month later...
Sir_Featherstone
On 3/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, Nico said:

Excellent post, as you say, Sonny would have Lance dead in a matter of days after taking over Tommy's empire - once a snitch, always a snitch, and as they say, snitches get stitches.

Comrade Monke

Am I the only one that thinks Lance was probably a Forelli agent/collaborator from the very start? He somehow knows Tommy's name, he spies on him and knows his location every time and Sonny is somehow aware of all of Tommy's activities even tho no Forelli member is in Vice City.

• 2 months later...
Great Britain

Its really boils down to one thing, when they gaged those cops in the lock-up, Tommy was quick to conclude that the new uniform was tight around the crotch while Lance was pretty comfortable in them. His primal instincts kicked in as he got a little self conscious about his winkie-dinkie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Because of his arrogance, his brother used to protect him, but without his brother, he couldn't do anything.

• Like 2

Exsanguination

I think he’s a bit neurotic which makes sense losing his brother and suddenly being at the bottom of the criminal food chain again. His emotions and greed clouded his judgement.

A shame because Tommy wouldn’t have betrayed him. I thought Lance was so cool first time meeting him.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
xNemecsis

Money talks, baby! It’s only business.

cant remember

Do ya'll think Lance might have really been given an unfair slice? He calls Tommy on a few occasions to moan about it and Tommy just tells him to chillax.

But it's never shown into more detail, though I feel it's implied that Lance was the one being irrational, even if you leave VCS out of consideration and just look at VC at the time it came out.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:31 PM, cant remember said:

Do ya'll think Lance might have really been given an unfair slice? He calls Tommy on a few occasions to moan about it and Tommy just tells him to chillax.

But it's never shown into more detail, though I feel it's implied that Lance was the one being irrational, even if you leave VCS out of consideration and just look at VC at the time it came out.

Lance seemed to have wanted to be treated as an equal by Tommy, which that didn't happen. Now is it an unfair slice? To me no, he wanted too much there.

2dQaqi9.pngpurple-diamond-gem.gif

Darth_Cruiser
2 minutes ago, 44Orca said:

Lance seemed to have wanted to be treated as an equal by Tommy, which that didn't happen. Now is it an unfair slice? To me no, he wanted too much there.

i always felt Tommy treated him too rudely, like sidekick or something

Lance was right in getting irritated

Just now, Darth_Cruiser said:

i always felt Tommy treated him too rudely, like sidekick or something

Lance was right in getting irritated

If Lance talked to Tommy more maybe he could've understood, Tommy did seem to ignore but he was busy with many other things there right? I don't think he was doing it on purpose.

Lance was second after Tommy in the business.

Darth_Cruiser
1 minute ago, 44Orca said:

If Lance talked to Tommy more maybe he could've understood, Tommy did seem to ignore but he was busy with many other things there right? I don't think he was doing it on purpose.

Lance was second after Tommy in the business.

Tommy did come off as a rude guy tho, even mistreats Ken in a similar way

HenriqueV5

Lance Vance is pathetic, he is clearly a sociopath (or psychopath, or some other similar f*cking psychological illness), blinded by power, fame, lust, and other sh*t that people of that time craved (maybe it's like that nowadays too).

1 hour ago, Darth_Cruiser said:

Tommy saiu como um cara rude, até maltrata Ken de maneira semelhante

Yes, this is shown in the short film "The Introduction". 

Tommy was blinded by power, and probably met a tragic end.

Midnight Hitman

Damn I'm nearly done with VC for the first time, have to do the last mission(s) after Cop Land, why did I read that topic title :(

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • excuseme 1

1 hour ago, Midnight Hitman said:

Damn I'm nearly done with VC for the first time, have to do the last mission(s) after Cop Land, why did I read that topic title :(

All topics contain spoilers even in their titles though since these are old games and many have finished them:kekw:

If you haven't played the other ones try to avoid being spoiled, don't go to their sections since it's far more than with Vice City's section.

Midnight Hitman

@44Orca Yes I'm aware of that, and it's absolutely okay to me that spoilers are in the title when it comes to these old games, but it was just an unlucky moment because I saw this thread on the forum's main page, because this thread had the most recent answer at that time.

• 1 month later...
Copcaller
On 5/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, universetwisters said:

He should know lance since they were going to buy coke from them. 

On 3/24/2023 at 5:31 AM, cant remember said:

Tommy's response seems to indicate that he is taking a bigger slice but he sees it as justified since he rescued lance and helped him kill Diaz. Tommy also did the most sh*t I didn't see lance driving any cabs or ice cream trucks.