Lasso kills always poor pelt

Confusedcowboy

Confusedcowboy

I’m on my second play through of the story and have previously unlocked every item of clothing at the trapper so I can ID animal quality and kill with a bow or gun for a perfect pelt easy enough. I figured using a lasso and knife kill made sense on the sheep and goats in the farms to make less noise but despite being three star animals the pelts were always poor.

I spent most of last night chasing three star animals and no matter the species it always resulted in a poor pelt. No I haven’t trampled any animals with my horse, or dragged them so considering everyone says lasso and knife to the heart equals perfect pelt I’m pretty disappointed. Anybody else have this happen to them? Thanks for any help!

• 3 weeks later...
Old Man With No Name

I guess updates screwed up that system too. Because same thing happens to me either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try out the lasso later tonight to see if I get the same. I've noticed over the past half year or so that sometimes my rifle kills drop a three to a one. Granted, I use high velocity ammo universally (for the penetration), but up until about November of last year I've always made clean one-shot kills with HV ammo. Lasso has always retained the three stars for every kill I've made, but I haven't done any kill with the lasso for a while, so I'll give it another shot and get back with results.