2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

GTA VI B*tch & Moan Thread

Fedinambar

DexMacLeod
5 minutes ago, Commander S said:

C'mon: it's more just the difference between having angry pedestrians yelling "f*** your mama in the keister!" as an insult, and "you look like a tr***y!", the latter being the sort of thing I see them quietly doing away with for VI.

And, like with everything else (including personnel changes behind the scenes), I'm sure if no-one pointed it out, the vast majority of players wouldn't even notice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right? I don't get why people think that "punching down at marginalized groups" is, like, the cornerstone of a GTA game. As if the game will just be garbage if they don't randomly go out of their way to disparage certain types of people. 

I feel like some people are just deliberately misinterpreting what was said because they want to be mad about something. It's so weird to me that the mere thought of some people being treated with a bare bones level of decency can get another group so triggered.

éX-Driver
1 minute ago, Rockstarter said:

I feel like they might "punch up" at less marginalized groups in the same vein.

R* built their legacy on being equal-opportunity offenders. Christian conservatives, progressives, feminists, testosterone junkies, skinheads, black nationalists, government, conspiracy theorists. They fairly mocked everybody, which is what made the games fun and accessible to anyone regardless of what ‘group’ they belonged to. If they’re going to pick and choose sides, they’re just excluding a big swathe of their fanbase for arbitrary fleeting ideological reasons.

If that leak is true, they’ve lost me as a customer. And I’ve been a loyal R* acolyte since 2002.

wise_man

I have a mixed reaction on the article. On one hand I'm fine with another modern setting, a new detailed Vice City, and female protagonist. With the right direction, all of those can be greater than our expectation. Really excited to see what "more interiors" means too.

But the avoidance of too-much-satire could mean two things: very positive change or very negative change.

It could mean they turn down the satire level from GTA V, which tries to throw jokes at everything too much to the point it ruins the story's experience. So, we'll get something more balanced and a return to GTA IV, focusing more on a realistic crime-drama than an over-the-top commentary extravagance. They still make fun of various cultures, but they're only subtle backdrop, not thrown to our faces again.

... But it could also mean, well, Rockstar goes softstar. The satire level drops significantly until it also ruins the story's experience. Am I playing GTA or not?

The mentions of ever-evolving map also worries me. GAAS is more a miss than hit nowdays, and Online has planted a concern in my brain that map expansion is for Online mode only. We'll get a complete SP story at release, and Rockstar won't bother to expand it again. With Bonnie-Clyde style protagonists, it could be another short-trip, supposed SP content turns f*cking Online exclusive.

EDIT: One last thing, I hope the protagonists won't merely be bank robbers. Enough with another heist-centric story.

Edited by wise_man
  • Like 9

Speeder752
3 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

Right? I don't get why people think that "punching down at marginalized groups" is, like, the cornerstone of a GTA game. As if the game will just be garbage if they don't randomly go out of their way to disparage certain types of people. 

I feel like some people are just deliberately misinterpreting what was said because they want to be mad about something. It's so weird to me that the mere thought of some people being treated with a bare bones level of decency can get another group so triggered.

Yeah, people forget that you can do a satirical depiction of the US well without making fun of minorities, an example of this being The Boys.

éX-Driver
1 hour ago, Speeder752 said:

Yeah, people forget that you can do a satirical depiction of the US well without making fun of minorities, an example of this being The Boys.

Because that means their satire will only go one way. You’re turning one group into a protected class. Surely you can see the problem here? And how it’s a massive shift from the image R* has spent 20+ years creating?

why is it okay to go after christians, but not atheists? Why is it okay to go after heterosexuals, but not homosexuals? Why is it okay to go after men, but not women? Why is it okay to go after whites, but not blacks? Why is it okay to go after hillbillies, but not hipsters? Why is it okay to go after conservatives, but not progressives? 
I thought the whole grand experiment of the postwar west was to do away with discrimination and classism and to treat everyone equally, not simply switch who the protected classes are.

SadieAdler
6 hours ago, Commander S said:

C'mon: it's more just the difference between having angry pedestrians yelling "f*** your mama in the keister!" as an insult, and "you look like a tr***y!", the latter being the sort of thing I see them quietly doing away with for VI.

And, like with everything else (including personnel changes behind the scenes), I'm sure if no-one pointed it out, the vast majority of players wouldn't even notice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hmm probably

Edited by SadieAdler
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Some are overreacting 

Shut up, sit down, relax

We'll wait until they release the trailer. Then we can panic or be excited.

• Like 3

A Good Man
2 hours ago, éX-Driver said:

why is it okay to go after christians, but not atheists? Why is it okay to go after heterosexuals, but not homosexuals? Why is it okay to go after men, but not women? Why is it okay to go after whites, but not blacks? Why is it okay to go after hillbillies, but not hipsters? Why is it okay to go after conservatives, but not progressives? 

Because certain groups have already suffered enough and don't need to be mocked in a video game.

The Artist
7 hours ago, wise_man said:

I have a mixed reaction on the article. On one hand I'm fine with another modern setting, a new detailed Vice City, and female protagonist. With the right direction, all of those can be greater than our expectation. Really excited to see what "more interiors" means too.

"More interiors" - that could be just PR talk. Didn't they say Los Santos was a living breathing world better than any previous game before V came out? Look how that turned out.

Edited by The Artist
  • Like 2

basedsam9
6 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Ok, which is why it doesn't bloody matter at all if that kind of joke disappears. No one noticed anyway. The rest is absolutely staying.

Because then they are just catering to the Twitter mob under the fake guise of being 'mature' (Ideological in reality), which sets a precedent for how the rest of the game is gonna feel like (Hint hint: Not good nor funny). Rockstar refused to bend to the evangelical idiotic right wingers who wanted to censor them, but now they comply with progressives who now have a hold of the culture war because...uh...just because?

Edited by basedsam9

Spider-Vice
7 hours ago, wise_man said:

It could mean they turn down the satire level from GTA V, which tries to throw jokes at everything too much to the point it ruins the story's experience. So, we'll get something more balanced and a return to GTA IV, focusing more on a realistic crime-drama than an over-the-top commentary extravagance. They still make fun of various cultures, but they're only subtle backdrop, not thrown to our faces again.

I think this is more what's happening, and they aren't gonna go "softstar" just because they're toning down jokes aimed directly at race, sexuality or gender identity because GTA's satire has always focused on other things. GTA Online still makes jokes about all those other things, and I feel like the way Jason worded it in  his article is making people go full-send without having even seen the game... It's just a bunch of assumptions for now.

41 minutes ago, The Artist said:

"More interiors" - that could be just PR talk. Didn't they say Los Santos was a living breathing world better than any previous game before V came out? Look how that turned out.

Well, there is a difference between a leak and an official PR piece or an interview made by R* themselves.

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

DarkDayz
On 7/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, Spider-Vice said:

I think this is more what's happening, and they aren't gonna go "softstar" just because they're toning down jokes aimed directly at race, sexuality or gender identity because GTA's satire has always focused on other things. GTA Online still makes jokes about all those other things, and I feel like the way Jason worded it in  his article is making people go full-send without having even seen the game... It's just a bunch of assumptions for now.

Agreed. I find it incredibly hard to believe they will eradicate all satire. Just the things that are grotesquely offensive for no reason whatsoever, hate towards minorities etc. Will they stop making fun of politicians and big corporations? I doubt it.

Either way. GTA is far more complex than the satire. It is only one factor of the IP's DNA. Which is why the term GTA clone exists, and why when describing RDR, people just say 'GTA but Cowboys'. There's much more to it than satire. So ultimately I think their changes will have no impact on the game than maybe a few less laughs. Which in the grand scheme of things won't impact anything.

To back this up you just have to look at the last 4 years of GTA Online content since these new cultural changes were in force. Is all the DLC visibly less satirical? Not really. They are just being careful in what they satire.

If the lines removed from VC recently were never in the original release, would it still have been held to the high standard it was? Of course.

And even then with all that said. In 2018 they released a game with almost no satire at all, and it was the best game they have ever made. So I'm not concerned. 

Edited by DarkDayz
  • Like 5

What if GTA VI uses UE5? 

:kekw:

• KEKW 1
  • KekCringe 2

GrandTheftAutoVI

all the media will focus on the so called female protag complaints but really it is the nerfing of the GTA brand.

rdr2 should have had a sadie adler dlc. which i was expecting to be fair.

if this is a male and female character combo. the male will most probably black and as camp as f*ck and she will be his bitch. though she of course will be butch. can't have her looking like a pammy now can we?

sure i will buy it. i enjoy domination but alas.......i digress.....

DexMacLeod

I don't get this obsession with the idea that the satire will suffer if they make an effort to punch down less. Did they remove any of the satire from GTA V? Cause those transphobic NPCs weren't satire.

Forbes of all places actually has a pretty good article on the whole anti-"woke" hysteria that's already sprung up from the Bloomberg article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/07/28/gta-6-will-neither-go-woke-nor-broke-when-it-arrives/?sh=591ea0b42f1d

My favorite quote from the article:

You can twist anything to suit your narrative, and suddenly the police murder simulator set inside a rotted parody of America is woke because…you can play as a woman and they’re not going to make transphobic jokes. Okay.

scalliano

If no-one is allowed to make jokes about you, you aren't marginalised.

GRANDHEIST

every bit of new info on what the game is/contains so far has been at most the bare minimum

DexMacLeod
52 minutes ago, scalliano said:

If no-one is allowed to make jokes about you, you aren't marginalised.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what's actually happening here. If a group of people is fighting for basic human rights, they're a marginalized group. That doesn't just magically go away if they voice their dislike for being represented as awful 2D stereotypes.

Also, nobody's saying that anyone isn't allowed to make fun of anyone else. Rockstar has (reportedly) chosen not to "punch down" as much as they have in the past.

Acetaminophen

Rockstar not wanting to offend people is lame 

bashovski
12 hours ago, The Artist said:

"More interiors" - that could be just PR talk.

Yeah, right. People who leak internal information care about PR. lol

tabajara

I hope Rockstar is seeing what's happening to the Saints Row reboot and taking notes

• Like 5

The Made Man

I agree Rockstar not wanting to offend ppl is lame as f*ck.

However, as someone who is Haitian and with more and more evidence showing that the game will be set in VC… Jesus Christ I hope Rockstar does Haitian criminals JUSTICE this time around…. 

While GTA VC is my favorite GTA game… The portrayal of Haitian criminals in that gang was trash af. I understand they were the antagonist. But from their accents, the way they looked, etc was trash in my opinion.

R* did a good job portraying Jamaican criminals in IV. Hope they replicate that with Haitians gangsters in VI.

DarkDayz
23 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

I agree Rockstar not wanting to offend ppl is lame as f*ck.

However, as someone who is Haitian and with more and more evidence showing that the game will be set in VC… Jesus Christ I hope Rockstar does Haitian criminals JUSTICE this time around…. 

While GTA VC is my favorite GTA game… The portrayal of Haitian criminals in that gang was trash af. I understand they were the antagonist. But from their accents, the way they looked, etc was trash in my opinion.

R* did a good job portraying Jamaican criminals in IV. Hope they replicate that with Haitians gangsters in VI.

Whole heartedly agree. The yardies in IV were awesome. In fact, with rumours of a linear chapter of story being in LC, I hope Jacob returns. That'd be great.

• Like 1

The Made Man
16 minutes ago, DarkDayz said:

Whole heartedly agree. The yardies in IV were awesome. In fact, with rumours of a linear chapter of story being in LC, I hope Jacob returns. That'd be great.

Yea the Yardies were done so well in IV especially from a cultural standpoint. The clothing they wore, the accent/patois, the names like “Real Badman” is a name a Jamaican gangster would use, the Jamaican flags everywhere, the music, them chilling in a group near the pool hall in Broker. Them doing a lot of drug deals and arm running. And yea I wouldnt mind LB returning either. But yea I need to see something like that with Haitian gangsters in VI. Haitian gangsters speaking nothing but creole near a Haitian restaurant. The younger generation looking like Kodak Black but the older generation rocking those colorful suits older Haitian gangsters irl do. Heck the Yardies in GTA 3 were even better portrayed than the Haitians in VC. 

And as a Haitian I don’t mind Voodoo/Vodou being depicted again(because some Haitian gangsters do dabble in it) but just do it RIGHT R*… Many Haitian gangsters work with Baron Samedo who is a “gangster loa”. But that potion sh*t in VC was wack and not how Voodoo/Vodou works.

Edited by The Made Man
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, Zello said:

What if GTA VI uses UE5? 

:kekw:

That'd make me not buy GTAVI ... that would be the only reason I wouldn't buy GTAVI.

R.A.G.E. is an inredible engine and hopefully Rockstar never swaps to a different, third-party one.

11 minutes ago, Emmi said:

That'd make me not buy GTAVI ... that would be the only reason I wouldn't buy GTAVI.

R.A.G.E. is an inredible engine and hopefully Rockstar never swaps to a different, third-party one.

IDK man with all these departures and new people at Rockstar who probably haven't used RAGE before and might have some experience with Unreal engine to help development and make it easier on them they might use Unreal Engine :kekw:

Edited by Zello

Just now, Zello said:

IDK man with all these departures and new people at Rockstar who probably haven't used RAGE before and might have some familiarity with Unreal engine before to help development and make it easier on them they might use Unreal Engine :kekw:

Just look at the GTA Trilogy DE made with Unreal Engine ... what a goddamn mess.

Please, keep the Unreal Engine away from anything Rockstar does, EVER!

Just now, Emmi said:

Just look at the GTA Trilogy DE made with Unreal Engine ... what a goddamn mess.

Please, keep the Unreal Engine away from anything Rockstar does, EVER!

That was made by GSG who got no assistance from Rockstar. Also did you not see the UE5 demo? Looks pretty good man.

1 minute ago, Zello said:

That was made by GSG who got no assistance from Rockstar. Also did you not see the UE5 demo? Looks pretty good man.

NOTHING beats R.A.G.E. god dammit!

Keep Unreal Engine away from me ... aaaaaargh.

tabajara

Imagine dropping this for Unreal Engine

• YEE 1