1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Did I just grow up or the admins are much nicer?

DODI3OG

Back in the days, a minute won't pass by without seeing SuctionTesticleMan and Mainland Marauder looking at almost every topic I opened on my browser. I also got more than a handful of warnings and probably a few days worth of ban as well as perma-bans on a couple accounts of mine.

I know I was an asshole who just wanted to talk sh*t the way social media and youtube commenters are nowadays. But, back in 2009-early 2012, this forum was really strict or probably I was just being monitored for my behavior. XD As far as the rules were concerned, posting "yeah" or something a little bit longer like "No, I disagree." was considered as spam, as long as the reply didn't really add up to something.

By late 2012, there was a huuuuge influx of GTA V fans. The mods and admins probably decided to turn a blind eye to most of those "newcomers" as long as they didn't violate the rules. I remember there being topics after topics asking the same questions and talking about the same stuff and it went on until about 2014 when things were much calmer and everybody was enjoying or ignoring GTA V. Before the calm, I was really annoyed by the way the admins were deleting some of my posts while letting the others persist. Sure, I intentionally triggered a handful of GTA fans, but that was basically what everybody was doing back then.

But, by then I was already pent up with this forum. Not to say that I hated the admins for what happened. They had reasons I couldn't even grasp simply because I was on the other end of the stick.

Nowadays, there are a lot more staff manning the subforums, in addition to mods and admins. Some, I didn't even stumble upon back in the days. I was just wondering why I don't get reprimanded as much knowing I've had a couple of double and triple posts simply because I was dumb enough to write on the "auto-post" field in the topics I follow.

Newcomers who asked who the hell I was used to annoy me, but I guess keeping a low profile somehow got rid of the "heat". This is not a rant, btw, just a little throwback and a catcher for me on the staffing of this forums since I was gone for almost 6 years.

• Best Bru 1

Uncle Sikee Atric

Welcome back....

Your username has been passed to the relevent Mods to administer the correct ban already.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Sikee Atric said:

Welcome back....

Your username has been passed to the relevent Mods to administer the correct ban already.

It's hilarious seeing a few different staff/admin/mod/ledby posting in every topic I follow, yet I don't feel constricted like I used to back in the days where there are usually a few staff manning the entire forums. *kekw*

Or maybe everybody in these forums just matured to the point that we're just minding our own business.

• Best Bru 1

BUT THE BENZ

oh just wait till you cross paths with sivispacem!

haha he might just ban me for this post - or simply delete it (he really loves doing that)

I highly recommend RedDagger and VooDoo!

sivispacem
3 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

haha he might just ban me for this post - or simply delete it (he really loves doing that)

Aww, diddums.

4 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

I highly recommend RedDagger and VooDoo!

I don't think I was (un)lucky enough to be on the other end of his stick. But, from what I've seen from others around here, he's quite a character. In a charming way...

• KEKW 1

BUT THE BENZ
1 hour ago, DODI3OG said:

I don't think I was (un)lucky enough to be on the other end of his stick. But, from what I've seen from others around here, he's quite a character. In a charming way...

don't be fooled so easily. in my opinion he is everything BUT charming. honestly, in the end he's nothing but an echo of mainstream-media "knowledge", and the mainstream media is a REALLY ugly character.

• KEKW 2
  • Bruh 1

sivispacem
33 minutes ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

don't be fooled so easily. in my opinion he is everything BUT charming. honestly, in the end he's nothing but an echo of mainstream-media "knowledge", and the mainstream media is a REALLY ugly character.

Even if this were remotely true (it isn't), would it really be worse than bragging about never checking whether what you post is factually accurate, as you have on multiple occasions?

If you want to continue your petty and petulant dispute with me, feel free to do it via PM rather than making a mess of DODI3OG's topic. 

• KEKW 3

Mister Pink
On 11/25/2021 at 5:03 PM, DODI3OG said:

Back in the days, a minute won't pass by without seeing SuctionTesticleMan and Mainland Marauder looking at almost every topic I opened on my browser. I also got more than a handful of warnings and probably a few days worth of ban as well as perma-bans on a couple accounts of mine.

I know I was an asshole who just wanted to talk sh*t the way social media and youtube commenters are nowadays. But, back in 2009-early 2012, this forum was really strict or probably I was just being monitored for my behavior. XD As far as the rules were concerned, posting "yeah" or something a little bit longer like "No, I disagree." was considered as spam, as long as the reply didn't really add up to something.

By late 2012, there was a huuuuge influx of GTA V fans. The mods and admins probably decided to turn a blind eye to most of those "newcomers" as long as they didn't violate the rules. I remember there being topics after topics asking the same questions and talking about the same stuff and it went on until about 2014 when things were much calmer and everybody was enjoying or ignoring GTA V. Before the calm, I was really annoyed by the way the admins were deleting some of my posts while letting the others persist. Sure, I intentionally triggered a handful of GTA fans, but that was basically what everybody was doing back then.

But, by then I was already pent up with this forum. Not to say that I hated the admins for what happened. They had reasons I couldn't even grasp simply because I was on the other end of the stick.

Nowadays, there are a lot more staff manning the subforums, in addition to mods and admins. Some, I didn't even stumble upon back in the days. I was just wondering why I don't get reprimanded as much knowing I've had a couple of double and triple posts simply because I was dumb enough to write on the "auto-post" field in the topics I follow.

Newcomers who asked who the hell I was used to annoy me, but I guess keeping a low profile somehow got rid of the "heat". This is not a rant, btw, just a little throwback and a catcher for me on the staffing of this forums since I was gone for almost 6 years.

It might be that you have just matured more, as well.  It's not hard to not be on the radar of admins/mods in a negative way by just sticking to some basic forum etiquette. There will always be antagonists for moderators and those people are on the radar and monitored because those are the people that create more unnecessary work for the team. 

Having said that, I think there is better organisation between admins/mods/ledbys - and some members maturing and the fact that these types of forums are kind of a dying breed. So what's left is of members that prefer these more discussional types of forums are people familiar with forum etiquette, seasoned members that have spent years on these types of forums.  There are a lot of tenured members now. 

Of course there hasn't been a new GTA since 2013, so when GTA VI releases there will be another new influx of inexperienced and testy members. This is now the longest time between GTA's since GTA began. Even if you were new to forums back in the last GTA release in 2013, you would now be a well seasoned member. 

And, the benefit of time and experience is in effect. Admins and mods do a tremendous amount of work. There is seriously a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes and I think choosing the right people for those positions has improved over time due 20 years experience vs 10 years experience. So, in my opinion the organization and having the right people managing the website from day to day has improved. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

It might be that you have just matured more, as well.  It's not hard to not be on the radar of admins/mods in a negative way by just sticking to some basic forum etiquette. There will always be antagonists for moderators and those people are on the radar and monitored because those are the people that create more unnecessary work for the team. 

Having said that, I think there is better organisation between admins/mods/ledbys - and some members maturing and the fact that these types of forums are kind of a dying breed. So what's left is of members that prefer these more discussional types of forums are people familiar with forum etiquette, seasoned members that have spent years on these types of forums.  There are a lot of tenured members now. 

Of course there hasn't been a new GTA since 2013, so when GTA VI releases there will be another new influx of inexperienced and testy members. This is now the longest time between GTA's since GTA began. Even if you were new to forums back in the last GTA release in 2013, you would now be a well seasoned member. 

And, the benefit of time and experience is in effect. Admins and mods do a tremendous amount of work. There is seriously a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes and I think choosing the right people for those positions has improved over time due 20 years experience vs 10 years experience. So, in my opinion the organization and having the right people managing the website from day to day has improved. 

I used to follow R*'s Newswire and facebook pages. Maan, you can tell by the amount of sh*tposts on their comments that those are the places younger GTA players usually go to "have a chat".

Facebook and Youtube, IMO are very toxic. Can't comment positive or negative stuff about some games without being verbally assaulted by someone who can't even discuss how my "opinion" was wrong.

Reddit on the other hand is like a giant meme board. It's more about bragging and manipulating the algorithm to trend nowadays. Most of the subs I used to subscribe in Reddit are usually filled with "look at my meme/trend-worthy content" with another similar content appearing the next day.

There are subs in reddit like The Last of Us HBO's where it's currently filled with good discussions, so far. At least nobody hates/fanboys the show yet to start bashing on other people's opinions.

My usual routine in reddit usually goes:
Find a topic I want to discus or make one > we discuss > the topic gets buried, replaced by memes

or

Find a topic > we discuss > we get harassed for having different opinions > we respond with expositions > we get further harassed > we lose the energy to discuss further

• Realistic Steak! 1

I wonder if there are kids pretending to be adults here. I was always proud of being one of the kids here, and I had a hard time because of that. Can you guys remember Rizqan? He was a kid from Indonesia who was active around 2013.

Funny thing is, he told everybody he was a kid and he got into a lot of trouble. He didn't last long, though. His topics got locked, binned, etc. and I think he might have been banned for a few days before writing his farewell post.

8 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

I wonder if there are kids pretending to be adults here.

I can't confirm that, but I know we have some very old people pretending to be kids.

• KEKW 2

^very old, what does that even mean? I suppose it depends on perspective a lot. for example, 90+ years is VERY old in my book. I know some people here in their 50's, that's sort of "getting old" to me. people ranging from let's say, 15 to 20, they're youngins in my opinion. everyone below 15 are simply kids, VERY far from being VERY old!

I'm 36, not sure where I fit in but I guess I'm on my way to getting old.

It was just a lighthearted joke, I'm only 47 and not feeling old at all. Somehow I feel younger and much better (at least in the head) than I did in my early 30s.

But I recall there was a guy around who was 65 or something like that around 2013-2014. I was few years inactive, can't remember his nick anymore.

On topic, I've never felt the Admins/Mods had been bad here.

If I'm honest, I did find the mods here to be rude a long time ago. I joined back in 2012 and admittedly, I was a kid (14). I didn't tell anyone but looking back I'm sure some people could tell, although some could not and just figured I was some whiny grown adult which is likely why old last account was subject to so much hate. I would say 2012-2017. I think in 2013 I got a 2 week ban over Christmas via Adriaan just for telling someone to shut up. And I did feel targeted at times but it was probably just my imagination. 2017 though... IDK what was going on there but my use of the forum heavily declined for sure.

That said these days this place seems chiller than ever. Maybe it's because I'm much less of an argumentative person than I was back when I was an angsty teen but it feels like you can have more mature conversations these days and the mods do seem to be friendlier.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:20 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

I know some people here in their 50's, that's sort of "getting old" to me.

😡

and yeah - the whole vibe of GTAF has changed over time.  It used to be nearly unforgiving and cut throat...no thin skin allowed.  

• Like 2

I was mocked and my topic was locked.

• KEKW 4

4 hours ago, Tacymist said:

I was mocked and my topic was locked.

A classic.

• KEKW 1

On 11/29/2021 at 8:28 PM, Graven said:

I can't confirm that, but I know we have some very old people pretending to be kids.

I'm 20, I don't think I'm still a kid, but I think I'm still too young.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:53 PM, Graven said:

It was just a lighthearted joke, I'm only 47 and not feeling old at all. Somehow I feel younger and much better (at least in the head) than I did in my early 30s.

But I recall there was a guy around who was 65 or something like that around 2013-2014. I was few years inactive, can't remember his nick anymore.

On topic, I've never felt the Admins/Mods had been bad here.

I have a facebook friend named Craig Burlingame. I can't remember his username here, but if you look him up, his profile photo looks/ed exactly like him IRL.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, ddarko12 said:

If I'm honest, I did find the mods here to be rude a long time ago. I joined back in 2012 and admittedly, I was a kid (14). I didn't tell anyone but looking back I'm sure some people could tell, although some could not and just figured I was some whiny grown adult which is likely why old last account was subject to so much hate. I would say 2012-2017. I think in 2013 I got a 2 week ban over Christmas via Adriaan just for telling someone to shut up. And I did feel targeted at times but it was probably just my imagination. 2017 though... IDK what was going on there but my use of the forum heavily declined for sure.

That said these days this place seems chiller than ever. Maybe it's because I'm much less of an argumentative person than I was back when I was an angsty teen but it feels like you can have more mature conversations these days and the mods do seem to be friendlier.

I also had a run-in with Adriaan. That was way back 2013, and I think I was being angsty too. I always looked at these forums as a means to vent out my angst especially growing up as a teen who admittedly hated a lot of people. XD

Mr. Scratch

Judging by the fact that the last warning I got was in 2016 I'd say so too. Step up your game, lads.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

Nearly four years since I last had my collar felt. Is that Raavi fella still about? He was comical.

BUT THE BENZ
On 12/2/2021 at 3:06 PM, trip said:

😡

and yeah - the whole vibe of GTAF has changed over time.  It used to be nearly unforgiving and cut throat...no thin skin allowed.  

the older the better? ;)