1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Polygon reviewer questions why Rockstar didn't censor classic GTA games' 'offensive' humour

SadieAdler

SadieAdler

Before their review went live, I fully expected Polygon (And Kotaku, the usual culprits) to go off on a political tangent in their GTA trilogy remaster review, just as they did with Far Cry 6. They certainly didn't disappoint. It was laughably predictable and, quite frankly, embarrassing journalism. 

The reviewer inevitably questions the trilogy's humour, especially the radio station ads for their deeply offensive jokes. Because heaven forbid the GTA trilogy, which has become well renowned and liked for its comedy/satire, would include this material in the remastered versions as well. He questions why Rockstar didn't remove this content, considering they removed the confederate flag from Phil Cassidy's tee in GTA 3.

I can't imagine playing a classic GTA game and having my blood boil by radio station ads from two decades ago because they don't reflect my own extreme political views. They used vast majority of their Far Cry 6 article space to rant about politics and they've done the same here again. Instead of actually discussing gameplay mechanics, story, soundtrack - Things you'd normally expect in a video game review, they've written something that reads more like a party manifesto released just before a British general election. 

You can read the article here, though I'd ask you not to and avoid giving them ad revenue for this hogwash:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22792109/grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-review-definitive-edition-ps5-ps4-xbox-one-series-x

sharpie_eastern

It is not an overstatement to say we live in a world that Grand Theft Auto has made for us.

Quit reading after this. gg

• Like 8

ZaxxerDog

On one hand I'm grateful that Polygon is basically one of the most irrelevant things on this Earth, on the other I'm scared sh*tless whenever anyone with a platform (and even though it's a barely existing one Polygon does have a platform) is advocating for removing something, anything from a piece of art. Not doing that seems like such a basic cultural norm to me yet somehow in the last couple of years this for lack of a better word cultural savagery / barbarism managed to surface again. And to top it all off the people who are doing it call themselves journalists.

lil vader

For a "review" the author certainly does seem to go on several unnecessary and bizarre tangents, though it's not as if modern gaming journalism hasn't been on a sharp decline and feels like it purely exists now to rage-bait people like OP.

• Like 3

Ivan1997GTA

As Donald Love once said: "People will read something into anything these days."

Americana

What, as if the journalist wouldn't use www.babiesovernight.com.

Edited by Americana

billiejoearmstrong8

It's one person's opinion - or perhaps more likely not really even their opinion but just an angle they've come up with for clickbait purposes. No one else thinks this, it's meaningless.

Claude4Catalina

I think it's a fair (if not extremely loaded and potentially inflammatory) question, I tend to think of it that yes, thanks to the wider scope of social media someone somewhere has the potential to get offended and air their disgust, people were still offended by parts of GTA back when the games came out, it just wasn't a case of one or two Tweets gaining traction over a perceived ugly remark or joke that doesn't quite land within some communities.  I dunno, I just think that being more mindful of other people's sensibilities is a useful tool, being cognizant of what is and isn't appropriate is helpful.  doesn't mean everyone has to be sunshine and lollipops and to an extent I'm glad that Rockstar for the most part did censor themselves into oblivion but on that same note if they did it wouldn't be the first time and I wouldn't be too upset about it.  no doubt Rockstar were anticipating some kind of pushback on GTA's trademark out-there humor and I also imagine the eyes of a select few reviewers lit up when they heard that DE was being released, knowing they could pick the bones and create like merry hell over the kind of humor classic GTA games were notorious for.

8 hours ago, sharpie_eastern said:

It is not an overstatement to say we live in a world that Grand Theft Auto has made for us.

milan-cage.gif

ChiroVette
10 hours ago, SadieAdler said:

Before their review went live, I fully expected Polygon (And Kotaku, the usual culprits) to go off on a political tangent in their GTA trilogy remaster review, just as they did with Far Cry 6. They certainly didn't disappoint. It was laughably predictable and, quite frankly, embarrassing journalism. 

The reviewer inevitably questions the trilogy's humour, especially the radio station ads for their deeply offensive jokes. Because heaven forbid the GTA trilogy, which has become well renowned and liked for its comedy/satire, would include this material in the remastered versions as well. He questions why Rockstar didn't remove this content, considering they removed the confederate flag from Phil Cassidy's tee in GTA 3.

I can't imagine playing a classic GTA game and having my blood boil by radio station ads from two decades ago because they don't reflect my own extreme political views. They used vast majority of their Far Cry 6 article space to rant about politics and they've done the same here again. Instead of actually discussing gameplay mechanics, story, soundtrack - Things you'd normally expect in a video game review, they've written something that reads more like a party manifesto released just before a British general election. 

You can read the article here, though I'd ask you not to and avoid giving them ad revenue for this hogwash:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22792109/grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-review-definitive-edition-ps5-ps4-xbox-one-series-x

Ya know, I am a liberal. Have always been a Democrat. But even I hate all this woke sh*t. I really do. What the hell is wrong with people? It's like everyone is clamoring for a society where people are all padded up in protective foam and bubble-wrap.

I really wish we could all stop worrying and obsessing so much about everyone's f**king feelings. For the record, and I am not a fan of this Whatever Edition of The Trilogy, but I'm glad these games weren't heavily censored. I do think it was a stupid, obsequious move to remove the one or two little snippets they did, to pander to the woke crowd. Why someone thought it would be a good idea to remove Phill Cassidy's Confederate Flag shirt is completely beyond me.

"The spectacular nature of these claims propelled lawyer Jack Thompson into the limelight, and turned him into a special kind of video game culture villain, the bogeyman who still gets invoked when people are afraid anyone is going to touch their video games."

Gaming "journalist" letting us poor panicking plebs know that the censorship demands aren't real? Check.

• Like 3

They're games from the early 2000s. Of course some things are going to be outdated and maybe R* should've changed it, but I don't know if censorship is the best course of action.

Chazza354

Lol tbh I’m still surprised they didn’t cut any of the more ‘controversial’ content. I’ve totally eaten my words because I was convinced after the confederate flag situation that they were gonna censor a bunch of stuff but I was wrong.

sadly the game ended up having far bigger issues than a few cut radio ads...

• Like 4

GhettoJesus
15 hours ago, lil vader said:

it purely exists now to rage-bait people like OP.

That's probably how Polygon stays afloat to be honest. They are probably the worst offenders when it comes to gaming journalism.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carbonox said:

"The spectacular nature of these claims propelled lawyer Jack Thompson into the limelight, and turned him into a special kind of video game culture villain, the bogeyman who still gets invoked when people are afraid anyone is going to touch their video games."

Gaming "journalist" letting us poor panicking plebs know that the censorship demands aren't real? Check.

The only reason why they didn't support Jacky boy cause he was a christian republican. Look at how fast they went to support the likes of Anita Sarkeesian, who peddles the same sh*t, though with the added ideas that games cause racism and sexism on top of violence...

It's hilarious how things have changed. 15 years ago it was the conservatives complaining about video games being bad and evil and now it's the liberals.

• Like 3

BS_BlackScout

The problem lies with people not being able to differentiate reality from fiction and also that certain things age and are just a mirror of their time.
I don't agree with censorship, as in certain ways it's a means of erasing history. It's like pretending hate, bigotry, homophobia, you name it never happened.

At the same time I don't think it's a good idea to keep on going down the route of just saying whatever you feel like it, "because it's a joke".

Certain jokes are unnecessary, pointless or just straight up wrong.

Picture this:

If GTA had been made in the 1900-1940s you could probably expect the hard N word being thrown around, ?slavery jokes?, idk...

Is it something that they put on titles in the late 90s and early 2000s? Nope. We're all way past that already. It ain't right.
Although I also doubt they care about some of the bullsh*t some media outlets say (looking at Polygon and Kotaku with them spicy unreasonable takes).

I'm sure R* are still good at poking fun at people without being ridiculous. (RDR2 went fine fyi)

Edited by BS_BlackScout
  • Like 2

CynicalMexican
19 hours ago, SadieAdler said:

Remember the good days when people were freaking out that the game was going to get censored because of Phil's shirt missing the Confederate flag?

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1

13 minutes ago, BS_BlackScout said:

Picture this:

If GTA had been made in the 1900-1940s you could probably expect the hard N word being thrown around, ?slavery jokes?, idk...

*looks at GTA IV (2008)*

BS_BlackScout
2 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

*looks at GTA IV (2008)*

I meant in a more provocative way (like in adverts etc) but yeah I see what you mean.

deathdealer
1 hour ago, GhettoJesus said:

That's probably how Polygon stays afloat to be honest. They are probably the worst offenders when it comes to gaming journalism.

nah, it's kotaku but polygon is close.

these articles are done on purpose in order to gain attention.

Much like the "Millenials are destroying X" articles.

Divisive articles create engagement which is what brings in revenue.

I can almost guarantee you that the author of the article doesn't even believe anything they wrote and are just trying to meet a "quota" set in place by the people in charge.

This is the reality of the world of modern journalism, manufacture drama in order to profit through bullsh*t articles.

Edited by Wakka387
  • Like 7

TheGodDamnMaster

Nothing is more detestable than people in privileged positions pretending to be offended at things that don't even apply to them.

How many of these "journalists" grew up in comfortable, low-crime suburbs, had their parents pay their way through ivy league or elite coastal universities that baptize them in the groupthink political stances they want to promote? How many of them have actually stepped out of their Santa Monica or New York condos to go and volunteer at a soup kitchen or do anything beyond clout chasing on twitter or facebook?

Social media, Reagan's neoliberal infestation of American politics shoving the Overton Window far to the right, and faux outrage culture have destroyed discourse beyond repair.

Edited by TheGodDamnMaster
  • Like 8

I can see where they're coming from but also I feel like this is the kind of criticism that would hit better if this were a remake and not a terrible remaster, or even something like V, which was pretty dated almost instantly, in a bad way. GTA's controversial elements feel more like they're there to make controversies happen, which drums up publicity for the games, than for the benefit of the player as they're playing the game

Actually it's kind of interesting how this thought doesn't apply to any of the new stuff added into GTAO via updates. that stuff is miserably cynical in a way that's kind of par for the course, but none of it is bad enough to really piss anyone off

5 hours ago, Zello said:

It's hilarious how things have changed. 15 years ago it was the conservatives complaining about video games being bad and evil and now it's the liberals.

Not really. You had the likes of Hillary Clinton, Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman being prime examples of "liberals" doing the same.