3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

The racing really is atrocious.

Jammsbro

In the original relerase I somehow managed to get 98% on this (never got the full 100) and I have no idea how I did it. The racing is so bad in places that it becomes an exercise in pure frustration.

I remember really enjoying flying in the game and rightnow with a flying skill of 80% I can't remember why. The races are not terrible but not revealing the next checkpoint until you pass the last one means that you are guessing where to go next, and sometimes in crucial scenarios. Add to that most planes are super sensitive, really floaty and have no weight to them. I was really looking forward to flying again in this but now I don't even think I am going to attempt the 100% for this version.

As in a lot of racing games the AI handles differently to us. A ton of races see them able to corner at full speed with no back end slide and collisions don't affect them the same. As for bike races? AI bikers seem to have a totally different set of riding rules to players. Their turning cicle is half what mine is.

As for keeping your wanted level between races? How terrible is that? A cop clips me so now I have to quit the race series and start again because of it.

I know a lot of people dislike the new version, I am really enjoying it, but the shooting and racing really needed a tweek here and there. Even just the basics.

• Like 1

Chazza354
2 hours ago, Jammsbro said:

The races are not terrible but not revealing the next checkpoint until you pass the last one means that you are guessing where to go next, and sometimes in crucial scenarios

They f*cked up the checkpoints for the flight races in this remaster. In the originals, they still only showed one checkpoint at a time, but they were oriented to face the direction of the next checkpoint. In this version, there is no sense to how they are oriented, they don't point towards the next one, so as you say, you end up guessing where to go in crucial scenarios. They also no longer have a front or back, so you can't tell which way you're supposed to enter it from, not that it matters because it doesn't even point towards the next one anymore. I made a thread about this in the bug reporting section, I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints about this change.

2 hours ago, Jammsbro said:

As in a lot of racing games the AI handles differently to us. A ton of races see them able to corner at full speed with no back end slide and collisions don't affect them the same. As for bike races? AI bikers seem to have a totally different set of riding rules to players. Their turning cicle is half what mine is.

Tbh I think the car and bike races are still just as easy, try not to drift too much, brake a little before corners and try to carry as much speed as you can without losing traction. They honestly don't have more traction than us, in fact I find I can corner much faster than the competition. Focus on your lines and don't worry too much about getting ahead straight away, the AI races dirty so be smart about passing them and don't trust them in wheel-to-wheel situations. We seem to be able to carry a lot more straight line speed than our competitors, so try to use that to your advantage. The only one that is a bit tricky is the Vinewood Hills race in LS, our car is slower than the competition which can make it a little awkward but not impossible.

source: I've won all races in the remaster and got my $1m for doing so.

Edited by Chazza354

1 hour ago, Chazza354 said:

They f*cked up the checkpoints for the flight races in this remaster. In the originals, they still only showed one checkpoint at a time, but they were oriented to face the direction of the next checkpoint. In this version, there is no sense to how they are oriented, they don't point towards the next one, so as you say, you end up guessing where to go in crucial scenarios. They also no longer have a front or back, so you can't tell which way you're supposed to enter it from, not that it matters because it doesn't even point towards the next one anymore. I made a thread about this in the bug reporting section, I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints about this change.

Tbh I think the car and bike races are still just as easy, try not to drift too much, brake a little before corners and try to carry as much speed as you can without losing traction. They honestly don't have more traction than us, in fact I find I can corner much faster than the competition. Focus on your lines and don't worry too much about getting ahead straight away, the AI races dirty so be smart about passing them and don't trust them in wheel-to-wheel situations. We seem to be able to carry a lot more straight line speed than our competitors, so try to use that to your advantage. The only one that is a bit tricky is the Vinewood Hills race in LS, our car is slower than the competition which can make it a little awkward but not impossible.

source: I've won all races in the remaster and got my $1m for doing so.

The Chiliad Challenge was bad as well . I was trying to complete it yesterday towards the 100% & I was pushed off the mountain by other cyclists about 4 times & then the steering didn’t help as well . Also the pedalling is way too fast in this version since you hold the X Button & CJ pedals really quick . I don’t remember it being this bad lol.

CynicalMexican

This is not necessarily on topic, but racing in any GTA game just kinda sucks. Get a fast car, build a quick lead, it's your race to lose. It might have been challenging when we were younger but I find any racing stuff in GTA to be a chore.

Cutter De Blanc

I still f*cking hate 8 track

I've already done it a couple of times on OG, don't want to do it again, the Monster Truck just not worth it

8 hours ago, jaljax said:

The Chiliad Challenge was bad as well . I was trying to complete it yesterday towards the 100% & I was pushed off the mountain by other cyclists about 4 times & then the steering didn’t help as well . Also the pedalling is way too fast in this version since you hold the X Button & CJ pedals really quick . I don’t remember it being this bad lol.

Did they maybe keep the glitch where you can shoot all the racers after the race and win? I never actually played that race correctly in the OG. 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, Mz. Hazey said:

Did they maybe keep the glitch where you can shoot all the racers after the race and win? I never actually played that race correctly in the OG. 

No they unfortunately got rid of it , I shot one to see if it worked & I was disqualified immediately lol

Cutter De Blanc

Holy sh*t, 8 track was stupid easy this time around, what happened?

On a side note, you can't enter Wu Zi Mu in a Hotring Racer, you are met with the message "You can not use this vehicle in a race!" Like you're an idiot for trying to use a race car in a race

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

14 hours ago, jaljax said:

No they unfortunately got rid of it , I shot one to see if it worked & I was disqualified immediately lol

I love how they patch all the helpful glitches for us to use, but keep all the game breaking glitches. Oh Rockstar. 🙄

2 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

On a side note, you can't enter Wu Zi Mu in a Hotring Racer, you are met with the message "You can not use this vehicle in a race!" Like you're an idiot for trying to use a race car in a race

From memory, I'm sure the same goes for cars like the Super GT, Bullet, and Jester – guess it's because they're not really suitable for off-road racing and the competing AI drivers probably couldn't handle having to drive similar cars and keep the same pace without sliding into the river.

Maybe "You cannot use this vehicle type in the race!" would've been better.

Anyway, guess I'll go race my Combine Harvester else where.