1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why was Tenpenny sabotaging the gangs he had an alliance with?

FollowThatTrain

FollowThatTrain

There's one thing I never really understood in the story - Tenpenny formed a crack organization, formed an alliance with multiple gangs (Ballas, Vagos etc.), and worked with them. So why was he sabotaging them early in the game? I'm talking about missions like Gray Imports, where you have to crash the deal between the Ballas and Russians. Why would Tenpenny do that? Why would he purposefully want us to f*ck up his allies' deals?

22 minutes ago, FollowThatTrain said:

There's one thing I never really understood in the story - Tenpenny formed a crack organization, formed an alliance with multiple gangs (Ballas, Vagos etc.), and worked with them. So why was he sabotaging them early in the game? I'm talking about missions like Gray Imports, where you have to crash the deal between the Ballas and Russians. Why would Tenpenny do that? Why would he purposefully want us to f*ck up his allies' deals?

Well he says he wanted to balance the power of the gangs. That's a reasonable thought if he wasn't ready to get rid of GSF just yet. Maybe he was trying to get more GSF members on board via Smoke so he kind of stalled the situation whilst that project was going on. Another explanation could be that he didn't want any of his allies to grow too powerful because he feared that they would betray him.

• Like 5

FollowThatTrain
15 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

Well he says he wanted to balance the power of the gangs. That's a reasonable thought if he wasn't ready to get rid of GSF just yet. Maybe he was trying to get more GSF members on board via Smoke so he kind of stalled the situation whilst that project was going on. Another explanation could be that he didn't want any of his allies to grow too powerful because he feared that they would betray him.

I guess that kinda makes sense. I understood why he would want us to burn down the Vagos' house (because they crashed the weed deal with Smoke in Running Dog), but I never got why he wanted us to wreck Ballas' deals. Looking at how paranoid Tenpenny was, the explanation that he fears his allies will betray him makes sense. Thanks

On 11/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, FollowThatTrain said:

I guess that kinda makes sense. I understood why he would want us to burn down the Vagos' house (because they crashed the weed deal with Smoke in Running Dog), but I never got why he wanted us to wreck Ballas' deals. Looking at how paranoid Tenpenny was, the explanation that he fears his allies will betray him makes sense. Thanks

There's also the fact that war is always profitable. If one gang wins and war is toned down, there's less to gain from the whole thing.
Otherwise, I doubt a gang would grow more powerful than the police themselves. Even in real life C.R.A.S.H. units often did raids just to show everyone in the hood who's boss.

Edited by Helion Prime

22 hours ago, Helion Prime said:

There's also the fact that war is always profitable. If one gang wins and war is toned down, there's less to gain from the whole thing.
Otherwise, I doubt a gang would grow more powerful than the police themselves. Even in real life C.R.A.S.H. units often did raids just to show everyone in the hood who's boss.

Yeah I can only really see it as a power play. Perhaps it's also the same thing as it was with GSF, where half the Ballas are split, so the ones doing the deal with the Russians weren't on Tenpenny's payroll?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChumCrumpet said:

Yeah I can only really see it as a power play. Perhaps it's also the same thing as it was with GSF, where half the Ballas are split, so the ones doing the deal with the Russians weren't on Tenpenny's payroll?

I think Tenpenny tipped both sides off just for them to fight. He's not siding with either of the gangs.
It went the same with the train. They tipped both GSF and the Vagos.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
FollowThatTrain
On 11/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, Helion Prime said:

I think Tenpenny tipped both sides off just for them to fight. He's not siding with either of the gangs.
It went the same with the train. They tipped both GSF and the Vagos.

Sorry for the late answer, but I heard a theory that the Catalyst mission was just a trap set up for CJ and Ryder. Either way, that still wouldn't work, because Tenpenny still needed CJ to do his dirty work. Yeah it's a fun mission, but it doesn't really make sense lore-wise.

GhettoJesus
3 hours ago, FollowThatTrain said:

Sorry for the late answer, but I heard a theory that the Catalyst mission was just a trap set up for CJ and Ryder. Either way, that still wouldn't work, because Tenpenny still needed CJ to do his dirty work. Yeah it's a fun mission, but it doesn't really make sense lore-wise.

That's such a weird mission to begin with because how come a train that transports ammunition for the army is left unguarded by the military? The trap theory can be true, but I like to think this was just a neat way to keep the numbers of gang members in check. Since all 3 major gangs were present there were casualties on all sides (though it could have hardly mattered when we consider that there might be hundreds or possibly thousands of gang members).

• Like 1

santosvagos

The CRASH was profitting from LS gang wars by giving the gangs the intel of their rivals. Instead of doing the police's works to keep everything under control, Tempeny and his team just let everyone kill each other as long as no civlians were harmed during the process.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:34 AM, santosvagos said:

The CRASH was profitting from LS gang wars by giving the gangs the intel of their rivals. Instead of doing the police's works to keep everything under control, Tempeny and his team just let everyone kill each other as long as no civlians were harmed during the process.

You just described the entire 1990's of LAPD's bullsh*t ass corruption within all neighborhoods in a few sentences. How eerie.

• YEE 1