3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Paramedic - Still hard and annoying AF

Illusive Prime

Illusive Prime

So, I've started with GTA 3, going for 100%, done with the taxi mission so now onto the Paramedic side mission.

This is before starting Luigi's missions early in the game so no gangs hate me at the moment.

I see R* didn' improve the Paramedic mission. Infacts seems more hard and more annoying especially when it rains.

I've have tried countless times to pass it.

The time limit is still too small to complete.

Seems they programmed the NPC drivers to get in my way on purpose even when I don't have the siren on.

So I'm at a lose end here with a increasingly strong urge to throw my controller at my TV.

Can anyone share any tips/advice on how to pass the most annoying and most infuriating part of GTA 3 please?

Thanks.

Paramedic in DE is identical to OG III. Yes, it's notoriously difficult, but it is not impossible. Practise driving the ambulance, it is top heavy and will tip over without much encouragement. Complete Paramedic before turning any gangs hostile (Trial By Fire/Blow Fish). Use your pause menu map to plan efficient pickups in groups of three. Learn the map itself. Take your time around the hills of St. Marks. Slow down around patients and give them a wide berth, they will throw themselves under the ambulance. Slow down at intersections. Learn how traffic behaves at intersections, how to detect sudden left and right turns that might cause a collision. Keep going and you'll eventually get it! Finishing Paramedic is a great feeling.

Edited by Helegad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Illusive Prime said:

Seems they programmed the NPC drivers to get in my way on purpose even when I don't have the siren on.

So I'm at a lose end here with a increasingly strong urge to throw my controller at my TV.

Can anyone share any tips/advice on how to pass the most annoying and most infuriating part of GTA 3 please?

Thanks.

Hey there! I found this to be insanely difficult when I first played GTA III 20 years ago, but eventually I realized that level 12 actually isn't that hard. I made a video tutorial of this, with audio commentary. lol I made this video so long ago, that Youtube had time restrictions so I had to make it in three parts. I hope this helps. If you are having a lot of trouble, this may be worth the time invested in watching as I think I helped a bunch of people with this.

4 hours ago, Illusive Prime said:

So, I've started with GTA 3, going for 100%, done with the taxi mission so now onto the Paramedic side mission.

This is before starting Luigi's missions early in the game so no gangs hate me at the moment.

I see R* didn' improve the Paramedic mission. Infacts seems more hard and more annoying especially when it rains.

Thanks.

I'm used to playing on keyboard/mouse, but now I'm playing on Switch and it's near impossible for me since I'm not used to the controls. I've spent over 5 hours and failed 13 times, multiple times on levels over 10. Such a dogsh*t mission, wish they would have removed this or change it to something like the Taxi missions where you can do it whenever you want. I really feel like giving up at this point, I have almost 500000$ and I haven't even started the main story yet.

Illusive Prime
5 hours ago, Helegad said:

Paramedic in DE is identical to OG III. Yes, it's notoriously difficult, but it is not impossible. Practise driving the ambulance, it is top heavy and will tip over without much encouragement. Complete Paramedic before turning any gangs hostile (Trial By Fire/Blow Fish). Use your pause menu map to plan efficient pickups in groups of three. Learn the map itself. Take your time around the hills of St. Marks. Slow down around patients and give them a wide berth, they will throw themselves under the ambulance. Slow down at intersections. Learn how traffic behaves at intersections, how to detect sudden left and right turns that might cause a collision. Keep going and you'll eventually get it! Finishing Paramedic is a great feeling.

I am quite familier with the map and always drive carefully as we know that the damn ambulance tips over at the slightest turn when driving. I always try to get as many as I can. As I say, the two biggest annoyances is the shortest time R* gives us and the people of LC deliberatly driving into you. At times I have had drivers were I am going at speed in a clear safe straight road and all of a sudden a car or van just happens to appear in the side road and spin me out of control even though they saw me but still drove on instead of giving way. The drivers of LC are the most selfish of all. More annoying than GTAO drivers when deliver vehicles with no damage to a customer. So, thank-f*****g God I've completed the damn thing and I will not be doing that again in the future! One thing that did come out of it is that I have tons of money so I won't short of cash when I need guns and ammo.

9 hours ago, Illusive Prime said:

Thanks.

• Make sure you stick to Portland's Chinatown area. You can make good use of the shortcuts, and after a few levels in, you'll be used to the routes.

• The farthest you'll have to travel is Hepburn Heights and Portland Harbor. Get as many in one trip as you can from one region to save time.

• Don't waste your time delivering each patient to the hospital. Deliver a full Ambulance on each trip to the hospital.

• It can be beneficial to get the Taxi Driver mission done to some degree so that you can better understand the shortcuts available to you.

9 hours ago, Illusive Prime said:

Thanks.

I forgot how top heavy the ambulance is.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:30 AM, Illusive Prime said:

Not yet willing to confirm/deny the validity of this claim but: lock your framerate to 30 (if you can). I failed about 7 consecutive attempts and then I turned every single performance setting off and locked FPS to 30, because I'm convinced this makes the timer run slower. Could be placebo, but I totally beat Paramedic the first try after that.

I also really prefer playing with full brightness and no contrast. It washes all the shadows out completely. I can see the roads better. These are personal preference not so much advice.

Other than that: Ride the sidewalks. Run pedestrians over. Really embrace the irony here. You can run over 3 people in rapid succession; only the 4th or witness by police will get you a wanted level. Sidewalk homicide stars disappear quickly anyway, so don't be afraid to get a wanted level.

Embrace vehicle damage. The ambulance is tough. Knock the doors off. It's the best when the peds don't have to swing the door open. They seat right in.

Take off accelerating the exact second peds open the doors of the ambulance at the dropoff. Their safety doesn't matter at this point, just their delivery. You can run them straight over as soon as they get out of the ambulance, game doesn't care. Quick take-offs saves seconds per delivery, which adds up to a minute or more by the time you're at level 12. Swiftness is crucial.

Take off accelerating slowly after peds start to get into the ambulance. The timing of this is also very crucial, since there is a very small window where they'll slip and fall down, and that wastes time. The window for that doesn't last very long, and doesn't happen when you're moving slowly. I think I time it like: door/wait/gas a little/wait/full acceleration.

You can absolutely use the siren if you want to. I left it on the whole time. I only strategically turned it off for a few seconds when I saw a cluster of traffic and I didn't want any of them to move into an opened gap I spotted. Siren on: Stopped traffic will continue to not move. Slowly moving traffic will move out of your way, but always turn the opposite direction in the lane to let you pass. So they sometimes just let you pass, but straight into stopped traffic. For that reason you may not want to use the siren near intersections. It just to make moving traffic on narrow roads get the f out of your way.

Use your handbrake liberally. A full speed turn might flip the ambulance, but powersliding into a corner using the handbrake won't. It gives you full stability. Also, slam and hold the handbrake + regular brakes down while dropping off peds. You don't have to fully stop to pick UP peds, but you have to be completely stopped for their "getting out" animation to trigger. Holding both brakes down makes that happen slightly faster.

The second most important thing to consider is that you get rewarded additional time only for pickups, not dropoffs, as well as a time boost when the level increases. The time peds give you is based on their distance from the hospital. If you're running low on time, try to go for the three closest pickups on the map, then use that time to journey out to three longest. And like someone said before, you never want to come back with only one or two peds if you don't have to. Always have a full load.

The final and most important thing you need to have: patience. Stay calm. It's nerve-wracking, I know, I get it; been there. Just stay calm. Walk away if you have to. Try again another day. It's not easy for everyone at first. Everyone has to learn somehow. If you employ all these strats effectively I'm certain you can pull it off.

• Like 2

DJ-Jelly-Doughnut

I found it comes to be more of an issue of ambulance health than time. I used the siren only on the way back and far from any other patients I was yet to pick up. Also never use the siren when anywhere near the patients as other cars can get out of your way.. and on top of your patient. 🤣 It took me 3 times of attempting before I beat it. First attempt I tested the ambulance's capabilities and made it to 6 before my ambulance started smoking so I figured I'd see what happens when I get out.. mission ends. Second attempt I made it to level 6 before a Mule pulled out of the intersection next to Joey's and flipped the ambulance. Last attempt I took it easy and didn't pay attention to the time. Just focused on groups of 3 to pick up. Best of luck!

I got a little lucky at times, but managed to pass it first try in Portland at the beginning of the game. My first thought during the mission was I wouldn't make it with damaging the ambulance, but it took more of a beating than the OG version. Other than that, it seemed very similar.

• Like 1

DJ-Jelly-Doughnut
4 minutes ago, drizzi_b said:

it took more of a beating than the OG version.

I was thinking the same thing. I took the same precautions with this mission as the original though but my ambulance came out way better at the end than it would have.

EvilEmperorZoRG

For me paramedics is harder on early levels. Once more patients appear you start getting more bonus seconds and when you are in Portland (I guess most of us know Portland better compared to other islands) it makes it easy. I did it the third try and worse was I had unreal engine fatal error near level 11 the first try... the second try was after that so I was obvliously demoralized lol

What has me getting anxiety attacks just thinking of it is Gripped lol

I'm not yet in Shoreside Vale but I read it's easier in Definitive Edition. Can anyone confirm that?

On 11/12/2021 at 3:30 AM, Illusive Prime said:

Thanks.

The problem is you're doing the Paramedic missions in Portland when they are much easier over in Staunton Island. Portland is full of turns, hills, and streets that end; whereas Staunton has lots on long stretches of roads that run parallel. You're only required to reach level 12 in one go, so why not do it over in Staunton?

Also a tip for driving, use the handbrake when making sharp turns to avoid tipping the ambulance over.

I don't start any of the side missions until the moment I unlock Staunton. Doing so allows me access to better weapons & armor pickups. And at this point in the game, no gangs hate you yet. (As long as you left El Burro's mission alone, and haven't started Asuka's yet.) After I've completed the side missions in the two islands, then I continue the story missions.

Edited by damian001

7 hours ago, damian001 said:

The problem is you're doing the Paramedic missions in Portland when they are much easier over in Staunton Island. Portland is full of turns, hills, and streets that end; whereas Staunton has lots on long stretches of roads that run parallel. You're only required to reach level 12 in one go, so why not do it over in Staunton?

I chose to do it in Portland, because it's a smaller area. Didn't have much problem with traffic, but I thought that bonus time would be for each patient dropped off. Don't remember how it was in OG. Limited time was actually quite stressful.

3 hours ago, kubon352 said:

I chose to do it in Portland, because it's a smaller area. Didn't have much problem with traffic, but I thought that bonus time would be for each patient dropped off. Don't remember how it was in OG. Limited time was actually quite stressful.

It is the same as the OG games. You get extra seconds for everyone picked up, but only get the extra bonus for dropping off the first batch of patients each round.

I wish they implemented "Stories Approach". You know, checkpoint after Level 6. Always liked this idea. Doing side-missions in one-go can be really boring if you're visiting the game again.

I kinda get the completionist approach but I never saw the appeal in doing these, similarly to how the last game in the franchise where I actually bothered getting the 100 hidden packages was GTA 3 20 years ago. Never again, who cares, the game's about doing crime, not about finding packages or being a paramedic. And it's not like it's this banger gameplay experience either, no, it's boring and terrible so my pro tip is to just don't do the stuff you don't enjoy. 

Edited by ZaxxerDog

IISolidSnakeII
4 hours ago, ZaxxerDog said:

I kinda get the completionist approach but I never saw the appeal in doing these, similarly to how the last game in the franchise where I actually bothered getting the 100 hidden packages was GTA 3 20 years ago. Never again, who cares, the game's about doing crime, not about finding packages or being a paramedic. And it's not like it's this banger gameplay experience either, no, it's boring and terrible so my pro tip is to just don't do the stuff you don't enjoy. 

You dismiss the entire point of hitting 100%. For me at least I want to get the platinum trophy for the trilogy.

2 minutes ago, IISolidSnakeII said:

You dismiss the entire point of hitting 100%. For me at least I want to get the platinum trophy for the trilogy.

And then what are you doing with that platinum trophy? I just don't get why would you do something that you don't enjoy the gameplay of for the sake of an imaginary accomplishment? There are people who do enjoy the paramedic mission because it's hard to do and getting to that max level is a gut wrenching experience because there is a lot on the line if you fail (you have to start all over again). I think that piece of content is for that type of player specifically.

Pistol Bobcat

I'm not playing the DE anymore but I could swear when I did paramedic on it last week, the ambulance is much more topsy turvy and likely to roll over than before.

Just did it again on the PS2 and didn't find it nearly as bad. 😛

This missions the worst in GTA 3 . I can’t even pass the mission on PS5 because when I get to level 9 every time it crashes the game though lol. 

I completely feel it right now. Did them first try in Vice City, was never even close to running out of time, having my ambulance blow up or killing patients (currently my biggest issue). It was an hour of laid back, relaxed gaming. GTA 3 had me fight the urge to embed my controller in the wall multiple times now. Got the adrenaline pickup at the hideout by now but never gotten past level 9.

Forgotten how mercilessly hard GTA 3 is at times. Vice City 100% seems so easy in comparison. But f* it, I'm commited. Again tomorrow.

• Like 1

CynicalMexican

Finished this a week ago and my god these public service side missions were a god damn nightmare.

Thank god that GTA 3's firefighter sidemission is nerfed at 20 fires and only one vehicle at a time.

• 5 months later...
Jamesrock

... I was on my way to level 9 and I accidentally pressed R3 instead of L3, thus canceling the mission. 

f*ck THIS MOTHERf*ckING BULLsh*t! 

DJ-Jelly-Doughnut
18 hours ago, Jamesrock said:

... I was on my way to level 9 and I accidentally pressed R3 instead of L3, thus canceling the mission. 

Oof. I feel your pain.

Jamesrock
4 hours ago, DJ-Jelly-Doughnut said:

Oof. I feel your pain.

The highest I've gotten yet is 6. I'm just not focused as much as I was last night. 

DJ-Jelly-Doughnut
21 hours ago, Jamesrock said:

The highest I've gotten yet is 6. I'm just not focused as much as I was last night. 

What island are you on? What's the story progression? You've got this.

Jamesrock
1 hour ago, DJ-Jelly-Doughnut said:

What island are you on? What's the story progression? You've got this.

Dude...I kid you not. I was just on lvl 11 and they sent me down the construction route. I think I'm safe and them my ambulance catches fire. I just got on Staunton Island pretty much so my only enemies are triads, mafia, and cartel. 

Edit: Got it! They finally stopped putting my patients in the cartel area. Jesus. Now I can go back to having fun in the game lol. 

Edited by Jamesrock

DJ-Jelly-Doughnut
4 hours ago, Jamesrock said:

Edit: Got it! They finally stopped putting my patients in the cartel area. Jesus. Now I can go back to having fun in the game lol. 

I knew you'd get it. Been there plenty with paramedic. Just think..  now you never have to do it again... unless you're a masochist who enjoys this kind of thing.