GTA Trilogy - The Definitive Edition Modding

TheLandstalker
Spider-Vice
Message added by Spider-Vice,

Much like previous game releases, you may not directly share unmodded files directly from the game in this topic, thanks!

GTAForums Mod Showroom - mind the mod forums rules at the top - and remember ShareMods or paid links aren't allowed!

1 minute ago, ThePedro004 said:

As soon as I download Unreal Engine :)

which one is good for this though the publishing one or the creators one?

2 minutes ago, Aymen123 said:

which one is good for this though the publishing one or the creators one?

I use the default on Epic Games Launcher, BUT, you need to use the 4.26.2 version which is the version of the game.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ThePedro004 said:

Yeah:

Download Unrealpak

Pick your mod files and place in the following structure:

ModName/Gameface/Content/SanAndreas/(here are the files you modify as an example)

Then drag the ModName folder to the UnrealPak-With-Compression.bat

It will generate a pak, rename it to 500-Modname_P.pak

the _P is an argument to tell Unreal this is a patch, dunno if it works tbh.

then place it in the ~mods folder which is located in the same folder as the gta.pak

For textures, you will need to generate the ubulk, uasset and uexp in Unreal Engine 4.26.2.

Okay so, this does indeed work, which means texture mods are quite easy to do as long as you have UE4 itself. I did a basic test in GTA3 and it works without problems (I just opened the texture and changed the hue as a test):

DrHPGBk.png

Before, I was trying to do a model replacement and that wasn't working, so I'm guessing model edits will need some extra steps.

So ussually im not the one to comment on these threads but so far from what I've gathered as long as we use the _p tag on the packs we should be able to load assets after main game is loaded correct? From what I saw of the file structure, we should be able to start testing simple texture modes. I dont have my hands on the game yet but based on  ThePedro004 breakdown, it seems aslong as the paths are somewhat similar to original game they get directly overloaded? We arent too far from figuring out what loads what way, it seems like grove street games essentially lifted scripting and a lot of coding from original game whilst removing the old engine, added a translation layer to easily bounce the assets from old engine to unreal and then at some point either had a mass conversion tool to turn gta v rage assets to unreal or there is an actual layer in it to load those assets? I'm not 100% sure but if thats the case we're gonna have a really easy task of converting old mods

4 minutes ago, Galaxify said:

dWJ8sGE.png

Replaced Tommy with Mario because why not, it's still a bit broken so currently no ETA for a release. 

By the grey checkerboard I'm assuming it doesn't use any material? I wonder if that was my issue, I had a material along with my model.

Edited by simkas

3 minutes ago, plk4 said:

So ussually im not the one to comment on these threads but so far from what I've gathered as long as we use the _p tag on the packs we should be able to load assets after main game is loaded correct? From what I saw of the file structure, we should be able to start testing simple texture modes. I dont have my hands on the game yet but based on  ThePedro004 breakdown, it seems aslong as the paths are somewhat similar to original game they get directly overloaded? We arent too far from figuring out what loads what way, it seems like grove street games essentially lifted scripting and a lot of coding from original game whilst removing the old engine, added a translation layer to easily bounce the assets from old engine to unreal and then at some point either had a mass conversion tool to turn gta v rage assets to unreal or there is an actual layer in it to load those assets? I'm not 100% sure but if thats the case we're gonna have a really easy task of converting old mods

gta3img textures are loose (no more TXD names, all the game textures are loose and with the prefix T_

they have _BC in the end for Diffuse and _N for the Normal Maps

Also, the textures are separated in categories.

Yep, it looks like model replacement are just as easy as textures, now I just need to figure out having custom materials along with the custom models.

1 minute ago, ThePedro004 said:

gta3img textures are loose (no more TXD names, all the game textures are loose and with the prefix T_

perfection, did you manage to test material set up at all? Are they basically ue materials or is there somethign more going on, because my main gripe was the lack of specular definition on a lot of assets, if its done through materials all we gotta do is add a new node with appropriate file name in the chain, if its something more esoteric might be tricky to add that extra detail. Cause unreal is capable of hella more than we were given and I couldve sworn we saw some specular definition on certain assets, just not on clothes?

2 minutes ago, ThePedro004 said:

There are also _P textures which contain various other maps in the RGB channels. Those will contain info like specularity.

Just now, plk4 said:

perfection, did you manage to test material set up at all? Are they basically ue materials or is there somethign more going on, because my main gripe was the lack of specular definition on a lot of assets, if its done through materials all we gotta do is add a new node with appropriate file name in the chain, if its something more esoteric might be tricky to add that extra detail. Cause unreal is capable of hella more than we were given and I couldve sworn we saw some specular definition on certain assets, just not on clothes?

I tried using a standard UE4 material on a custom model, the game gave me errors regarding that material. Also keep in mind that you can't actually use those extracted .uasset files in the UE4 editor, those are encrypted, if you wanted to modify materials you would have to recreate them from scratch to somehow replicate those original materials.

7 hours ago, Digital_X said:

@rayman3 Cheers for that, was unaware.

Edit: Loads up for a second then crashes with a fatal error about GameFace.

You need to unlock the folder first by right-clicking the folder properties -> security and allow yourself to edit the contents. RGL protects its folders from changes by default.

Edited by rayman3

4 minutes ago, simkas said:

There are also _P textures which contain various other maps in the RGB channels. Those will contain info like specularity.

I tried using a standard UE4 material on a custom model, the game gave me errors regarding that material. Also keep in mind that you can't actually use those extracted .uasset files in the UE4 editor, those are encrypted, if you wanted to modify materials you would have to recreate them from scratch to somehow replicate those original materials.

hmm we might have to wait a bit on the unpacking, but this is very promising, did you manage to extract any of the _p textures? Im thinking we could try to reverse engineer those and see if applying them with just the file name to peds or characters would work, if so then we wont have to dabble with custom unreal materials yet, most of the bugs i saw in game from rendering point of view were either horrible uv maps that never got fixed in remaster or normal maps having too harsh values set which are turning matt surfaces plasticy shiney like old Enb series used to do, however if this is just 4.6.2 and we already know the materials, i wonder if packing custom material for existing model under same name would still result in bugs if they follow same naming convention. I wouldnt be surprised if they had some one master shader material preset they used for everything and we might be missing parts of it to work

3 minutes ago, plk4 said:

hmm we might have to wait a bit on the unpacking, but this is very promising, did you manage to extract any of the _p textures? Im thinking we could try to reverse engineer those and see if applying them with just the file name to peds or characters would work, if so then we wont have to dabble with custom unreal materials yet, most of the bugs i saw in game from rendering point of view were either horrible uv maps that never got fixed in remaster or normal maps having too harsh values set which are turning matt surfaces plasticy shiney like old Enb series used to do, however if this is just 4.6.2 and we already know the materials, i wonder if packing custom material for existing model under same name would still result in bugs if they follow same naming convention. I wouldnt be surprised if they had some one master shader material preset they used for everything and we might be missing parts of it to work

I have, but I'm not entirely sure what each channel is. It seems like it also differs for different types of objects, for weapons it maybe seems like red channels is metalness, green is roughness, blue might be AO, but it is just filled with white in all the texturs I've seen (they probably didn't bother baking AO for those models). On characters however it seems different as the red channel is also fully white in that, which means it can't be used as metalness there.

1 hour ago, ThePedro004 said:

Yeah:

Download Unrealpak

Pick your mod files and place in the following structure:

ModName/Gameface/Content/SanAndreas/(here are the files you modify as an example)

Then drag the ModName folder to the UnrealPak-With-Compression.bat

It will generate a pak, rename it to 500-Modname_P.pak

the _P is an argument to tell Unreal this is a patch, dunno if it works tbh.

then place it in the ~mods folder which is located in the same folder as the gta.pak

For textures, you will need to generate the ubulk, uasset and uexp in Unreal Engine 4.26.2.

why did the game reads ~mods? does this way work for the other unreal engine games?

SET_CHAR_GET_OUT_UPSIDE_DOWN_CAR big_smoke TRUE // rockstar wants smoke to exit the car now

They decided to not leave Big Smoke Left 4 Dead

48 minutes ago, ThePedro004 said:

I use the default on Epic Games Launcher, BUT, you need to use the 4.26.2 version which is the version of the game.

The specific EngineAssociation value is 6102333F-4F9F-A584-E2C6-D09A9F61339E which could mean it is a custom UE build based on 4.26.x.

2 minutes ago, furkan6141 said:

why did the game reads ~mods? does this way work for the other unreal engine games?

That's just core UE4 functionality, it will read any additional .pak files in its Content directory as long as certain naming requirements are met.

So at this point, materials are the only mystery. Right now, you can do model replacements fairly easily as long as your custom model uses the original materials and then you just replace the textures that material would use with your textures. I've managed to make a weapon model replacement by doing it that way and it works fine in-game.

18 minutes ago, simkas said:

I have, but I'm not entirely sure what each channel is. It seems like it also differs for different types of objects, for weapons it maybe seems like red channels is metalness, green is roughness, blue might be AO, but it is just filled with white in all the texturs I've seen (they probably didn't bother baking AO for those models). On characters however it seems different as the red channel is also fully white in that, which means it can't be used as metalness there.

got you, if you have any of those textures extracted and wouldnt mind taking screenshots of the channels or reup I'd love to have a look at them and see if I can make more ends of it.  If i remember correctly in the pbr set up in unreal engine AO was the first channel that was most important cause that dictacted most the shading model, then there is the albedo which i suspect in our case is the full original diffuse texture, with lighting baked into it, I have to have a look if i still got some of my old tools that let you generate a flat albedo and approximation of an AO map into separate textures, we could then use those to see if the layout is still the same, cause if that trick works that means the rest of the file would follow the regular set up.

6 minutes ago, simkas said:

So at this point, materials are the only mystery. Right now, you can do model replacements fairly easily as long as your custom model uses the original materials and then you just replace the textures that material would use with your textures. I've managed to make a weapon model replacement by doing it that way and it works fine in-game.

If the set up is the same as in unreal but with the caviat of somewhat relying on old textures i suspect the hierarchy in channels for the _p files should be metallic, then spec the roughness either with AO in the alpha channel, cause that would make the most sense with originals using alpha channels for transparency, so then any other aditional control might come from there. That being said, in past projects i worked on we would fit the AO channel to whatever texture made more sense to keep it with, so there is a chance that the normal maps alpha channel has been used for ao and then the _p contains just specular and roughness, seeing none of the assets in game seem to be using metallness or any of the physically based pipeline UE4 is known for.

Edited by plk4

Sorry for my bad english.
I want to make a simple mod that replaces Xbox buttons with Playstation buttons.
I was able to extract the necessary files from this directory (\Game\SanAndreas\Textures\mobile) into gta3.pak

T_ButtonsPS4_BC.tga

T_ButtonsXbox360_BC.tga

Does it work to simply change the name of the T_ButtonsPS4_BC.tga file to T_ButtonsXbox360_BC.tga and replace the original game's T_ButtonsXbox360_BC.tga file?

What program/tool can I use to make a replacement?

Lol they made candy suxx fat

oh they removed the game on Pc 

hahahahahahah