GTA Trilogy - The Definitive Edition Modding

TheLandstalker
Spider-Vice
Message added by Spider-Vice,

Much like previous game releases, you may not directly share unmodded files directly from the game in this topic, thanks!

GTAForums Mod Showroom - mind the mod forums rules at the top - and remember ShareMods or paid links aren't allowed!

suicidehummer

I'm surprised nobody seemed to consider that GSG are simply doing the best they can with a TINY team and have no say in what T2's legal team does, even if they are 100% against their actions. They don't deserve the hate, Rockstar and T2 do for not saying "this needs more time/resources before it's ready to be put out".

I'm gonna try parse the assets. I did successfully load other game's assets to ue4 except some missing stuff. For Example Titanic HG. And then I've exported them to raw models to Edit them in C4D :). I Don't have any idea how I backport and Cook it to work but I'm gonna try. I've read somebody tried to build a mod pak but the game have crashed. I think it's because there's a build metadata that check's the assets built with. 

I see they have used dff importer to get old (Original hi -res) objects to work with and they built/cooked it. So for now it does not matter where does the models come from. We Don't have to port them to RW. We could use raw files but edited in UE first. I can't say anything until I saw it reimported.

Edited by noname_dev

I have a texture of a newspaper and the json file extracted to test. But not entirely sure what I do with it.

I tried loading a UASSET into UE 4.26.2 but nothing showed when I moved into a content folder.

CynicalMexican

Hey, props to the modding community for cracking this game and being able to f*ck with it. Good news! GTA Definitive Edition mods are gonna be lit

For what it's worth, I think both GSG and the modding community would do great work together. Shame that Scheiss Zelnick won't let that happen.

16 hours ago, JANTSUU said:

No, put the gta.pak in the same folder where the UnrealPak.exe is. And yes, the files will be extracted to -Extract folder.
I'm not sure but I think your issue might be that your GTA 3 EXTRACT -folder name contains spaces.
Try renaming the folder to GTA_3_EXTRACT for example. Or, try putting the path inside quotation marks "".

Like this: C:\Users\ctxei\Desktop\UnrealPakTool>UnrealPak gta.pak -Extract "C:\Users\ctxei\Documents\GTA 3 EXTRACT" -Filter

Please use the -gta-unpak exe launch argument (or put it as launch argument via RGL game options menu) on each of the games to extract the files without any external tools required as you launch the game (may take a while, when the game exits you know you have it all).

Edit: You may need to unlock the folder first by right-clicking the folder properties -> security and allow yourself to edit the contents. RGL protects its folders from changes by default.

Edited by rayman3

@rayman3 Cheers for that, was unaware.

Edit: Loads up for a second then crashes with a fatal error about GameFace.

Edited by Digital_X

Cluckin Bell CEO

Reducing draw distance and adding fog in SA is a must

PAoozoH.jpg

Just now, StuntMaster100 said:

Reducing draw distance and adding fog in SA is a must

PAoozoH.jpg

Suffering from success.

JoelTheSuperior

Right so I know it's easy enough to export assets from this game, but has anyone actually successfully started the game up again with changed assets?

I'm stuck. Got the skeletal mesh with every data. Ofc it's uexp but UE viewer cannot open it. It's clearly a mesh but what's the typo? I can't remember what did I do 2 years ago with THG..

Here's the file: 

NVM got it:

EGjAUiX.png

Edited by noname_dev
Solved
  • Realistic Steak! 3

35 minutes ago, noname_dev said:

I'm stuck. Got the skeletal mesh with every data. Ofc it's uexp but UE viewer cannot open it. It's clearly a mesh but what's the typo? I can't remember what did I do 2 years ago with THG..

Here's the file: 

NVM got it:

EGjAUiX.png

Can you please post how you solved?
It can be usefull to people who reads this thread.

Sure. 

In Fmodel use auto save Models, Textures everything you need. And when you browsing files in Pak, search for Vehicles folder and then you can search for anything. if you click on a vehicle file for example sentinel, it saves automatically as PSK, wheeles are PSKX. You can import psk into blender with this https://github.com/Befzz/blender3d_import_psk_psa. It will be a skeletal mesh with bones. You can see how it actually works in engine. When you create a mod it's a good start to see how things works. Textures are in different folder, you have to manually search and export them. (Double click on texture and it saves as PNG, or whatever you set in settings). You can find files in 'Saves" folder.

C4D render: 

2Y4N8g3.png

5 minutes ago, noname_dev said:

Sure. 

In Fmodel use auto save Models, Textures everything you need. And when you browsing files in Pak, search for Vehicles folder and then you can search for anything. if you click on a vehicle file for example sentinel, it saves automatically as PSK, wheeles are PSKX. You can import psk into blender with this https://github.com/Befzz/blender3d_import_psk_psa. It will be a skeletal mesh with bones. You can see how it actually works in engine. When you create a mod it's a good start to see how things works. Textures are in different folder, you have to manually search and export them. (Double click on texture and it saves as PNG, or whatever you set in settings). You can find files in 'Saves" folder.

C4D render: 

2Y4N8g3.png

Goodjob m8 and thank you.

Hopefully I can mess with all of this tomorrow... I see we can already load assets into UE4 and export them from there. To mod the game I see that we can create .pak files and move them to a ~mods folder, but it shows an error and closes the game... So no advance there... still I've read that some UE4 games can be modded making it think it's DLC? Maybe we can give that a try (haven't read too much about it tho).

I'd like to try that "Illusory Software" that says you can mod any UE4 game, it says it works with 4.26, so maybe that solves the issue of the pak file closing the game... I don't know :/

2 minutes ago, 92_Fly said:

Hopefully I can mess with all of this tomorrow... I see we can already load assets into UE4 and export them from there. To mod the game I see that we can create .pak files and move them to a ~mods folder, but it shows an error and closes the game... So no advance there... still I've read that some UE4 games can be modded making it think it's DLC? Maybe we can give that a try (haven't read too much about it tho).

I'd like to try that "Illusory Software" that says you can mod any UE4 game, it says it works with 4.26, so maybe that solves the issue of the pak file closing the game... I don't know :/

It does not work :) It cannot patch the .exe sadly.  

2 hours ago, 92_Fly said:

I never heard of any UE4 game that crashes with the good old ~mods folder. As long as the modified assets are cooked with the proper version of the engine, and packed within the exact same folder structure of the game, it should work.

What kind of error does it shows? Do you have any source or pic? Sorry if it has been shared already, but I didn't see anything so far ^^"

Edited by hoquillo

4 minutes ago, hoquillo said:

I never heard of any UE4 game that crashes with the good old ~mods folder. As long as the modified assets are cooked with the proper version of the engine, and rooted within the exact same folder structure of the game, it should work.

What kind of error does it shows? Do you have any source or pic? Sorry if it has been shared already, but I didn't see anything so far ^^"

He's probably having the same error as me, it's something about "serial size mismatch" of the new file, it says something about the file size not appearing correct. I had mine made with the same version, the game uses 4.26 and I cooked my files from 4.26. Unless it's like a different sub-version or something? The one you can get on the epic launcher is 4.26.2, maybe the game uses like 4.26.1 or something like that?

Edited by simkas

2 minutes ago, simkas said:

He's probably having the same error as me, it's something about "serial size mismatch" of the new file, it says something about the file size not appearing correct. I had mine made with the same version, the game uses 4.26 and I cooked my files from 4.26. Unless it's like a different sub-version or something? The one you can get on the epic launcher is 4.26.2, maybe the game uses like 4.26.1 or something like that?

I really, REALLY hope they didn't code some kind of data validator crap that checks the size of all the assets and forces the game to crash if it detects any changes made.

9 minutes ago, hoquillo said:

I really, REALLY hope they didn't code some kind of data validator crap that checks the size of all the assets and forces the game to crash if it detects any changes made.

I had the same error when I tried modding Aliens: Fireteam Elite, but then there are some functional mods for that game out there so there might be some way to bypass that.

4 minutes ago, simkas said:

I had the same error when I tried modding Aliens: Fireteam Elite, but then there are some functional mods for that game out there so there might be some way to bypass that.

I've looked around in other UE4 modding communities and it looks like this error is triggered when you don't pack your .uasset, for instance. It's triggered by changing the size of one of the original files.

Edited by apdapreturns

12 minutes ago, hoquillo said:

Wouldn't that cause an atleast somewhat noticeable delay on startup?

3 minutes ago, apdapreturns said:

I've looked around in other UE4 modding communities and it looks like this error is triggered when you don't pack your .uasset, for instance. It's triggered by changing the size of one of the original files.

What do you mean "don't pack"? And yeah, if I'm trying to replace a file, the size is obviously going to change.

8 minutes ago, simkas said:

https://www.nexusmods.com/aliensfireteamelite/mods/14

This looks like a good example, that mask was imported from a different game.

There's still hope xD

12 minutes ago, simkas said:

What do you mean "don't pack"? And yeah, if I'm trying to replace a file, the size is obviously going to change.

It's pretty unclear to me, but I'm assuming it means it is necessary to cook the file using the version of Unreal Engine 4 adopted by the game. I took that more or less verbatim from a Discord message so I'm also just assuming 😅

Edit:

.uasset cooked files contain "header" data - what stuff is used in the asset, what stuff is defined and creates "shortcuts" for the asset itself to refer those. .uexp file contains the asset data itself. One of the sorts data stated in .uasset is serial size of export block(s). If the size mismatches it should mean one of the 2 things:

- files were edited incorrectly

- .uasset and .uexp of the asset don't match (which will happen on almost any update if you take one of them, edit, pak into mod and the other one still gets updated with game updates)

Edited by apdapreturns

3 minutes ago, apdapreturns said:

It's pretty unclear to me, but I'm assuming it means it is necessary to cook the file using the version of Unreal Engine 4 adopted by the game. I took that more or less verbatim from a Discord message so I'm also just assuming 😅

Yeah, that's a crucial step in the process of modding UE4 based games. You can't simply put the .uasset into the ~mods folder, first you need to create the .pak file for the game to read it. Every UE4 game works with .paks.

• Like 2