Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Contract
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    2. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    3. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. Bugs*

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    6. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

GTA III Definitive Edition Complaints & Criticisms Topic


GTAKid667
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Earthbound said:

@Jimmy, the modding community are this games only hope to resolve the issues raised in this thread. God knows Rockstar won't be hiring anyone to fix them.

They sure are. Some of us have spent some good time only to be shot down on stuff. The question boils down to if it's worth the hassle anymore. R* & T2's behaviour and support is questionable at this point. I'll just sit and watch this time around (for the time being).

 

1 hour ago, Earthbound said:

but it's got to feel pretty good to sit back and watch this.

To be honest, it's sort of painful. A lot of us have MODS that we want to port to the DE but the earlier behaviour holds some of us back. Could be just my opinion. I do not speak collectively for modding community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a go of colour grading GTA III in Premiere Pro to make it look more like the classic version (brightness up, contrast down, film fade LUT, temperature moved slightly to blue/cool, colour tin slightly to green). Would love a mod that did something similar to the game itself.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ladies and gentlemen, Grand Theft Auto 3:

I am honestly in shock and disbelief over how good this looks compared to Rockstar's newest garbage. Sure, it took some tinkering with mods and a bit of ReShade to get the job done in making the game a bit more vibrant and getting the graphics "pop" a bit better on the old engine but oh boy was it worth it. It's insane how authentic the xbox models look, even the hand animations seem to be better than what's in the DE. What the actual f*ck.

 

Anyway every mod I used is in the description of the video.

Edited by ZaxxerDog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don Maximus Meridius

I just finished every mission now. Despite some bugs, I had a lot of fun at 15-18h of gameplay, I just think they should deactivate the gangs after the game is over, as it's impossible to do anything in Portland with mafia blowing you up with 3 shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kuruma's color doesn't match now.

 

9Ukw5Lv.png

Edited by Americana
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ZaxxerDog said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Grand Theft Auto 3:

I am honestly in shock and disbelief over how good this looks compared to Rockstar's newest garbage. Sure, it took some tinkering with mods and a bit of ReShade to get the job done in making the game a bit more vibrant and getting the graphics "pop" a bit better on the old engine but oh boy was it worth it. It's insane how authentic the xbox models look, even the hand animations seem to be better than what's in the DE. What the actual f*ck.

 

Anyway every mod I used is in the description of the video.

 

I know modding is hard work but the Definitive Edition looks much better than this. When we still had the old GTA 3, I used these mods to make the game look better. 

 

There's pop-in, there are bugs but I think it looks better and more harmonious than a mod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SquoniX said:

 

I know modding is hard work but the Definitive Edition looks much better than this. When we still had the old GTA 3, I used these mods to make the game look better. 

 

There's pop-in, there are bugs but I think it looks better and more harmonious than a mod. 

Haha, the remaster doesn't even have a consistent colour pallette, how could it be more "harmonious" than the original game? The main problem with the remaster is that when you look at any scene during gameplay you get individual things that look "8 out of 10" right next to stuff that looks "1 out 10". It feels like one of those unfinished remaster mods where the author didn't have the time to add HD textures to everything so some stuff is just left there as it is. The difference is that they're charging money for it. I personally prefer if everything looks like a consistent "6 out of 10" with the original atmosphere fully intact.

 

Look, I know that you must have been super excited for these re-releases, I was too until the first gameplay teaser so I know how it feels when your hopes and wishes are left unfullfilled. Copium is not the answer though and sh*t is just sh*t.

Edited by ZaxxerDog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ZaxxerDog said:

Haha, the remaster doesn't even have a consistent colour pallette, how could it be more "harmonious" than the original game? The main problem with the remaster is that when you look at any scene during gameplay you get individual things that look 8 out of 10 right next to stuff that looks 1 out 10. It feels like one of those unfinished remaster mods where the author didn't have the time to add HD textures to everything so some stuff is just left there as it is. The difference is that they're charging money for it.

 

Look, I know that you must have been super excited for these re-releases, I was too until the first gameplay teaser so I know how it feels when your hopes are lef unfullfilled. Copium is not the answer though and sh*t is just sh*t.

 

I can easily give comparison shots between this mod and DE but I am out right now. 

 

I am not coping at all, I'm totally calling out GSG and Rockstar for their mistakes and even the graphics have issues at points like the horrendous rain effects and bad FPS. I can appreciate the graphics while also criticizing it. I agree that there is inconsistency. 

 

I have completed a few missions in SA and I have already been hit by invisible collisions like 7-8 times. 

Edited by SquoniX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ZaxxerDog said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Grand Theft Auto 3:

I am honestly in shock and disbelief over how good this looks compared to Rockstar's newest garbage. Sure, it took some tinkering with mods and a bit of ReShade to get the job done in making the game a bit more vibrant and getting the graphics "pop" a bit better on the old engine but oh boy was it worth it. It's insane how authentic the xbox models look, even the hand animations seem to be better than what's in the DE. What the actual f*ck.

 

Anyway every mod I used is in the description of the video.

Rockstar hired the wrong man! This treatment would've been a day one purchase from me. They can unearth beta OG Loc from the depths of hell, but can't use the XBOX character models? Sad stuff. Even the rain looks better, and the shaders did their job, the sign above Joey's place really shines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SquoniX said:

 

I can easily give comparison shots between this mod and DE but I am out right now. 

 

I am not coping at all, I'm totally calling out GSG and Rockstar for their mistakes and even the graphics have issues at points like the horrendous rain effects and bad FPS. I can appreciate the graphics while also criticizing it. I agree that there is inconsistency. 

 

I have completed a few missions in SA and I have already been hit by invisible collisions like 7-8 times. 

Yeah well this was the part when I opted out of the remaster:

 

The terrible looking rain effect (which looks terrible even when it's magically not buggy and blinding). the missing blockade from the bridge with only the collision intact and the frame drops just made this such a powerful moment that I immediately started installing the original game through Steam and never looked back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mindshower said:

This treatment would've been a day one purchase from me.

Yep, same here and that's the strangest thing about this really: the bar is just shockingly low for a good GTA remaster because the old versions aren't that great. Even the original PC version needs a bunch of mods nowadays just so that it will function properly and it was always a rather bad conversion which is true for every single GTA PC port except for Vice City (interestingly VC is the best of the new remasters too so chances are that game just has better bones than the rest of 'em).

 

If all they did was just make new ports based on the original PS2 versions, fixed some of the old bugs and shortcomings like the high framerate bugs and added a minimal amount of new effects while keeping everything intact it would have been a banger release. Doesn't even have to be an internal project, just give it to Nightdive Studios, those dudes will port it to the KEX Engine too so that it runs at 500 fps on Vulkan. Nope, instead they release this jumbled mess that nobody likes and give idiotic interviews on how insanely hard it was to come up with an art style that fits the new character models. No, Rockstar, you already have the art style, you don't come up with something new, you just do what Nightdive did in their Quake remaster:

More authentic, better looking, faster and also cheaper to make. They sell it for 30 bucks, everyone buys it, loves it, profit.

Edited by ZaxxerDog
  • Realistic Steak! 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Maximus Meridius said:

I just finished every mission now. Despite some bugs, I had a lot of fun at 15-18h of gameplay, I just think they should deactivate the gangs after the game is over, as it's impossible to do anything in Portland with mafia blowing you up with 3 shots.

They didn't fix this sh*t too huh? Christ..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pedinhuh said:

They didn't fix this sh*t too huh? Christ..

Please, tell me this comment is a joke. Fix it, like it's a bug?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stef_92 said:

Please, tell me this comment is a joke. Fix it, like it's a bug?

 

I didn't said it was a bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ZaxxerDog said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Grand Theft Auto 3:

I am honestly in shock and disbelief over how good this looks compared to Rockstar's newest garbage. Sure, it took some tinkering with mods and a bit of ReShade to get the job done in making the game a bit more vibrant and getting the graphics "pop" a bit better on the old engine but oh boy was it worth it. It's insane how authentic the xbox models look, even the hand animations seem to be better than what's in the DE. What the actual f*ck.

 

Anyway every mod I used is in the description of the video.

 

I genuinely think that what you just posted looks like garbage. It's a mish-mash of mods and your colour is all f*cked up. You call that better than DE? Give me a break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, DEALUX said:

There's no way they'll ever fix everything if they'll even bother to begin with.

Why not though? Take Two and Rockstar have a ton of money to correct this mistake and they are asking 60 dollars for it. I think they have to do 3 bigger things to unf*ck this mess:

 

- Offer full refunds on PC right f*cking now but really they could just do a big "we're sorry" and just offer refunds to everyone.

- Get rid of GSG or if that makes sense help them in fixing this stuff.

- Hire a new company to actually unf*ck this mess.

 

Really while there are a ton of issues this stuff could be fixed up with 9-12 months of honest work and could be made into an already tolerable state in just a few months. But then again this is what I thought when GTA 4 PC came out too and while the port somewhat improved over time it never really crawled out of the bad port hole.

 

13 minutes ago, Helegad said:

 

I genuinely think that what you just posted looks like garbage. It's a mish-mash of mods and your colour is all f*cked up. You call that better than DE? Give me a break.

Cope harder. I give you that it's not color accurate though because I added a +0.3 value of vibrance to it through ReShade simply because I like if the colors pop a bit more. I think it suits the game well, through the Sharptrails mod it still has trails turned on too and apart from that little boost in color everything looks how it's supposed to look.

 

Anyway if you want to know how it's supposed to look like vs. how I play it then I can show you.

 

Original colors:

ZLM2r74.jpg

 

And my more saturated version:

rYTHfbM.jpg

As you can see it's not a giant difference, just some extra spice, apart from that it very closely resembles the Xbox version which the mod I'm using is based around.

Edited by ZaxxerDog
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BS_BlackScout

I know it's from that controversial thread, but you'll see what I mean. I don't want to repost it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don Maximus Meridius
6 hours ago, ZaxxerDog said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Grand Theft Auto 3:

I am honestly in shock and disbelief over how good this looks compared to Rockstar's newest garbage. Sure, it took some tinkering with mods and a bit of ReShade to get the job done in making the game a bit more vibrant and getting the graphics "pop" a bit better on the old engine but oh boy was it worth it. It's insane how authentic the xbox models look, even the hand animations seem to be better than what's in the DE. What the actual f*ck.

 

Anyway every mod I used is in the description of the video.


I just finished GTA 3 DE now and looks way better than this. I agree that they could have improved a lot (especially in combat), but it's far from as bad as you guys are saying.
It was 18 hours playing and the bugs I saw was some street car wheels appearing on tunnel ceiling (between staunton and shoreside vale) and the game crashed 1x (going to PS5 main menu) when I died in a mission, although progress was saved.

Maybe I'm lucky, maybe VC and SA are very worse, but for now I can say its not a great remaster, but it's not a total trash either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pedinhuh said:

I didn't said it was a bug.

Then why are you asking it to be "fixed" since it's not a bug but rather something which is part of the lore and was intentionally made (and persisted through out all other ports of the game)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lock n' Stock
4 hours ago, Americana said:

Kuruma's color doesn't match now.

 

jLOGsQE.png

That rain is so bad. Looks like droplets of jizz falling from the sky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lock n' Stock said:

That rain is so bad. Looks like droplets of jizz falling from the sky.

no nut november condensation theory

  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BS_BlackScout said:

I know it's from that controversial thread, but you'll see what I mean. I don't want to repost it here.

I think the issues with the textures are the clearest indication to me that the team working on these were not given enough time and I personally don't agree that the blame should be on them for that, but instead those at R* and T2 who were managing this project. It's worth remembering that GSG are a small team and had 3 games to remaster in 2 years, and the world has had all kinds of fun going on in those years which would have definitely impacted their working conditions.

 

I would guess that to save time they upscaled everything first, including the character and pedestrian models, and then intended to go back through and rework them manually but ultimately ran out of time. It would also explain the inconsistencies and why some textures and redone and others are just upscaled, and why some character textures seem to be in a completely different format to others which retain the way they were done in the classic games.

 

I think if there had been more time given to the time for this project, or they were only remastering GTA III for the anniversary instead of all 3 games, we might have seen a much more polished project. It also definitely continues to raise questions on why game companies like Rockstar aren't willing to work with modders who have remastered a lot of these assets for free already and have spent years learning about the way these games work and familiarising themselves on the lore and continuity across the series, but we have a topic for that particular conversation.

 

As it stands, I think that where GSG have clearly put in the effort such as the environments, they've done a great job and should be given credit for that. It's a shame they weren't able to address many of the well documented issues of the older versions of the game though, particularly the mobile releases that these are based on. The CEO has already mentioned that they are working on updates though and so I remain optimistic that we may some of the issues that are being reported fixed, I just hope that they are given the time and resources to do so.

 

I'm personally enjoying my time playing through the games so far and the issues I have encountered have been minor, but between the elements that seemed rushed and the continued disaster regarding the PC versions, I think it's fair to say this has been a very poor launch and I hope that Rockstar take note of some serious failings that have been made in the last few days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GTAKid667 said:

I think the issues with the textures are the clearest indication to me that the team working on these were not given enough time and I personally don't agree that the blame should be on them for that, but instead those at R* and T2 who were managing this project. It's worth remembering that GSG are a small team and had 3 games to remaster in 2 years, and the world has had all kinds of fun going on in those years which would have definitely impacted their working conditions.

 

I would guess that to save time they upscaled everything first, including the character and pedestrian models, and then intended to go back through and rework them manually but ultimately ran out of time. It would also explain the inconsistencies and why some textures and redone and others are just upscaled, and why some character textures seem to be in a completely different format to others which retain the way they were done in the classic games.

 

I think if there had been more time given to the time for this project, or they were only remastering GTA III for the anniversary instead of all 3 games, we might have seen a much more polished project. It also definitely continues to raise questions on why game companies like Rockstar aren't willing to work with modders who have remastered a lot of these assets for free already and have spent years learning about the way these games work and familiarising themselves on the lore and continuity across the series, but we have a topic for that particular conversation.

 

As it stands, I think that where GSG have clearly put in the effort such as the environments, they've done a great job and should be given credit for that. It's a shame they weren't able to address many of the well documented issues of the older versions of the game though, particularly the mobile releases that these are based on. The CEO has already mentioned that they are working on updates though and so I remain optimistic that we may some of the issues that are being reported fixed, I just hope that they are given the time and resources to do so.

 

I'm personally enjoying my time playing through the games so far and the issues I have encountered have been minor, but between the elements that seemed rushed and the continued disaster regarding the PC versions, I think it's fair to say this has been a very poor launch and I hope that Rockstar take note of some serious failings that have been made in the last few days.

 

Very good opinion that I agree with.

 

The issue with GTA 3 I have noticed is that it looks great at times and then downright like the OG game (not that bad but it definitely looks worse in some areas). It is still a major upgrade overall and I will play it after SA and VC. Claude looks the best out of all 3 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oCrapaCreeper

Dodo just does f*cking work on keyboard anymore, in the event you are actually able to play the game on PC. It's like they forgot to add the controls after basing them off the mobile ports.

 

"dodo up" and "dodo down" just don't exist anymore in the controls, thus you have no way to pitch the dodo anymore with a keyboard. Numpads don't work, arrow keys don't work, mouse doesn't work, hydrolics equilvant doesn't work, etc. You HAVE to use an analog input with a controller and such to fly the Dodo, then it operates exactly as it did before.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BS_BlackScout
19 minutes ago, GTAKid667 said:

-snip-

I respect your opinion but I'm having trouble agreeing with some of it.

Yes, I can see it being an issue of Rockstar pushing GSG to do things too quickly and then running out of time to rework all of the textures, bugs, you name it.
On the flipside, if a few people (think it wasn't more than 2 for the Xbox Version Mod, if the credits make sense) took a couple years (2009-2014? idk) to re-do the entire texture set of GTA III, why can't GSG do that in less time?
_

 

I was optimistic as well, but man, every time I see something wrong, or an upscaled texture (whenever someone asks me to look for a texture), I just feel dread.

I feel ripped off, robbed, even though it was a conscious decision of pre-ordering (without seeing footage, I own up to that mistake, it's whatever, I've learned my lesson now), purchasing and all that.
I put a bet that the 2nd time around they would have experience not to repeat the same silly mistakes as from 2014. But welp. Rockstar allowed it back then. GSG did it back then. And what happened now?

 

_
I do agree that in many instances it looks good and plays ok, but it's not always. It's just too many issues to ignore.

Wonky missing fog, downgraded plane controls (SA), bugs, ugly assets and textures, ugly characters, eye-sore rain, weird performance etc.

Then, release fiasco with Hot Coffee code, DOC files that shouldn't be there... It's like they don't know what they are doing nor have any attention to detail.

Edited by BS_BlackScout
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Don Maximus Meridius said:


I just finished GTA 3 DE now and looks way better than this.

Well first and foremost congratulations on finishing it, I uninstalled after an hour.

 

As for it looking way better: it doesn't. Individually some of it does and if you value things like texture resolution or the technical quality of certain effects then sure, you'll think that it does look better. What you should keep in mind though is that those are things that come naturally since 20 years have passed since the original game while things like a consistent art style is something that still takes work. I think GmanLives actually summerized the issue quite well (time stamp at the relevant part):

And to add to this there are other stuff too like for example how it was clearly not a consideration for the developers if an effect affects visibility or not. That's how we got things like the "cum rain" or GTA 3 DE's fog effect where in the original game you got these atmospheric and by today's standards admittedly sh*tty looking "fog clouds" before your car's headlights. It doesn't affect visibility that much but it makes the world a bit more lived in. DE? You're in f*cking Silent Hill now, it's just generic white fog. Basically the remasters just don't FEEL aesthetically pleasing because your screen is just a jumbled mess of differing art styles now and you kinda don't even know where to focus, how to interpret stuff etc.

 

And when it comes to "the feels" really the world not feeling alive is the truly huge problem these remasters have. Like you just look at those clean looking roads in GTA 3 DE and it suddenly becomes incredibly hard to pretend that you're in a city.

Edited by ZaxxerDog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.