1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Interview: Rockstar On Remastering Its Classic 3D GTA Games For A New Generation

Tez2

The Notorious MOB

Reading this it just gives me the impression that these lazy bastards really just had completely the wrong outlook and expectations from the start. 

I really had hoped that they made the game better. Maybe there will come some fixes soon?

• KEKW 2

Lock n' Stock

The more I see of the final result, the more it occurs to me that Rosado is full of sh*t. It's hard to imagine how he (or anyone else at Rockstar for that matter) considered some of the things that we've seen in this even remotely acceptable.

mfsj5w0swty71.jpg

11 hours ago, Lock n' Stock said:

The more I see of the final result, the more it occurs to me that Rosado is full of sh*t. It's hard to imagine how he (or anyone else at Rockstar for that matter) considered some of the things that we've seen in this even remotely acceptable.

mfsj5w0swty71.jpg

75ff44f90b697c5a36bc0e7bd4d20685.jpg

I'm sorry but this had to be posted.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, Chazza354 said:

it does make me appreciate some of the challenges they've faced and some of the things they have done well

On 11/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, Chazza354 said:

I just hope the Switch version is ok technically

I cringe looking back at my comments buying into this puff piece lmao, 480p sub 30fps Switch port and a myriad of issues across the board. What a shame Rockstar. It's gonna take something pretty special to redeem this mess.

11 minutes ago, Chazza354 said:

It's gonna take something pretty special to redeem this mess.

Worst part is that they don't even see this as a mess, so they won't even attempt to redeem

Just now, RRT94 said:

Worst part is that they don't even see this as a mess, so they won't even attempt to redeem

What's going on with the whole launcher situation though and the game still being unavailable for purchase on their own platform? Surely they could have it fixed by now, is it possible they're having crisis talks about how to fix the game before it goes back on sale? Or maybe I'm being way too optimistic lol.. 

2 minutes ago, Chazza354 said:

What's going on with the whole launcher situation though and the game still being unavailable for purchase on their own platform? Surely they could have it fixed by now, is it possible they're having crisis talks about how to fix the game before it goes back on sale? Or maybe I'm being way too optimistic lol.. 

Maybe they're trying to encrypt the game files because they forgot to do it before launching, thus making it unmoddable now

I’m so glad I didn’t buy this.  I was so pumped for it but the more I saw the more I knew I would be let down.  I would feel so stupid for dropping $60 on this.

Ever since I've played Grand Theft Auto IV I didn't care much about 3D Grand Theft Auto games. To be honest, I can't stand how outdated they are. I hoped that these remasters would change some things - simple things, nothing serious. Well, no changes have occured in any of these games. Too bad.

1 hour ago, concolt said:

I’m so glad I didn’t buy this.  I was so pumped for it but the more I saw the more I knew I would be let down.  I would feel so stupid for dropping $60 on this.

Same here. I can't get over how tone-deaf the interviews with Rockstar come off. I suppose it makes sense, not addressing all the myriad of legitimate complaints, not from GTA detractors, but from fans. I am so glad I didn't buy this as well, but then, I kind of saw this coming a mile away. It's sad that this edition is neither definitive nor worth the asking price.

• Like 3

I've always been saying that these remasters (or remakes, as the forum was 100% sure that we we were getting remakes) weren't needed - all I really wanted was a good PC version. Still, I don't dislike these remasters. 

I think I don't care that much about these games to be annoyed - however, had they done something like this to Grand Theft Auto IV then... oh man! 

4 minutes ago, Americana said:

I've always been saying that these remasters (or remakes, as the forum was 100% sure that we we were getting remakes) weren't needed - all I really wanted was a good PC version. Still, I don't dislike these remasters. 

I think I don't care that much about these games to be annoyed - however, had they done something like this to Grand Theft Auto IV then... oh man! 

I suspect any potential IV remaster will launch in a better state due it being younger and on RAGE, most 360/PS3 era games remaster fairly well due to more up to date PC versions and HD assets they can work with. The current IV PC build isn't great but modern hardware can brute force it to run fairly well these days so with a bit of work I imagine they can get it running in decent shape. If I were to put on my tinfoil hat I'd say Dundee is probably working on the IV remaster and one of the reasons they were bought was because they were getting their hands all over RAGE and needed full access to all things RAGE.

Ultimately I think the DE trilogy should've been a full blown remake and not a remaster, as the latter is just... these games are simply too old to try and brute force into something that looks and plays well across the board in 2021. I can't recall a remake of AAA games this old at all, stuff like Spyro, Crash, Medieval etc were all full blown remakes.

People will place blame on the developers GSG due to their past work on the mobile ports and perhaps there is reason to be skeptical cause of that, but they were dealt a rough hand here. If a full blown remake wasn't on the table for whatever reason then they really needed another 12 months with this but I suspect Take-Two wanted it out before GTA V E&E. I've seen a lot of stuff that makes me think oh wow, they've put a bit of care and attention into this and then a whole bunch of stuff where it just looks scrappy and like they ran out of time.

Couple that with the absolute disaster of the PC launch, with the unlicensed mp3's being in the build potentially part of the reason it was pulled, and this is gonna be bumpy few weeks for Rockstar and Take-Two.

BadaBing_1996
On 11/11/2021 at 12:40 PM, ChengizVlad09 said:

"The developers looked back over all three PS2-era GTA games and earmarked what makes them distinct. GTA is a series where the city comes first, and anyone who’s even been to Los Angeles can attest to how well San Andreas captures the tangerine glow of an L.A. sunset. When you’re up in the hills, it’s a city that seemingly stretches on forever – and now it can in-game too, thanks to improved draw distances – and when you’re downtown the city feels so flat that the sky might swallow you at any moment. 

“Each [city] has its own distinct style,” Rosado explains. “Vice City was like a flamingo threw up all over the place, so it’s always bright neons – you want to capture the extremes of 1980s Miami. When you get to San Andreas, it’s that mix right? It’s kind of the beat-up, rundown city but there’s always that sun – in the morning, it’s blinding, and at night, it’s this orange sky. So every city had certain signature elements.” "

Thank you for bringing back that highly recognizable tangerine glow of LS once again! Now that you have 'improved the draw distances' it 'glows' like never before! Btw, 'improved' general draw distance exactly means no tangerine glow, but even with that put aside, removing the draw distance fog is something that's been possible for years and it's piss easy to do. For the rest of the draw distances, it is amazing to see they are exactly the same as they were, literally the main thing that was needed to be fixed in order not to have; - for example - building details blury in one second and sharp in the next one as we approach closer. Now, neither of the cities has that 'distinct feel' to it this gentleman is talking about.

Thanks to their marvelous vision, all 3 games look like they have been put in to late 2010's, not to mention that entire SA area looks like one big city. What exactly is being claimed here, is beyond me I guess. Maybe I'm blind, dunno. It's unbelievable that someone engaged in making the originals considers orange sky as the only 'signature element', yet at the same time dozen of other things are missing.

FD--XF3UUAQ0BHP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

What a weird design choice to make San Andreas a square.

Also, I'm sorry Grove Street Games (what a name) - but San Andreas is not only Los Santos.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2

@BadaBing_1996, screenshots like that are probably the most heartbreaking part of this Trilogy iteration. I find this even worse than the radio stations debacle. Here is another one I grabbed off Twitter, and I think it's not quite as disturbing as yours, but its definitely up there. You know what these pics look like to me? And your screenshot really illustrates this point. It looks like a table-top model of some giant' child's toy. In many ways, it reminds me of that Zero mission in San Fierro, where you are flying an RC helicopter over Zero's landscape model, picking up bombs to destroy RC tanks and metal sheets to make little bridges out of. That is exactly what it looks like to me. I understand the draw distance in VC or LC, because those are much smaller cities. But being able to see the entire map like that, completely obliterates the awesome illusion of the game taking place in a supposedly huge state.

The only good news is that this is something that I assume could be fixed in an update. Just decrease the draw distance. A lot. Also, they don't need to cover everything with clouds, but some clouds would be nice, especially if the clouds helped to obscure the distance a little.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 2
  • Bruh 1

BadaBing_1996
4 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

@BadaBing_1996, screenshots like that are probably the most heartbreaking part of this Trilogy iteration. I find this even worse than the radio stations debacle. Here is another one I grabbed off Twitter, and I think it's not quite as disturbing as yours, but its definitely up there. You know what these pics look like to me? And your screenshot really illustrates this point. It looks like a table-top model of some giant' child's toy. In many ways, it reminds me of that Zero mission in San Fierro, where you are flying an RC helicopter over Zero's landscape model, picking up bombs to destroy RC tanks and metal sheets to make little bridges out of. That is exactly what it looks like to me. I understand the draw distance in VC or LC, because those are much smaller cities. But being able to see the entire map like that, completely obliterates the awesome illusion of the game taking place in a supposedly huge state.

The only good news is that this is something that I assume could be fixed in an update. They don't need to cover everything with clouds, but some clouds would be nice, especially of the clouds helped to obscure the distance a little.

I agree 100%, it's insane just how bad it looks without any fog or draw distance limitation in place.

As you said, looks like a tabletop game. It reminds me of a gmod map, hell, the version I played in VRChat with friends had better look & feel than this.

Edited by BadaBing_1996
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BadaBing_1996 said:

I agree 100%, it's insane just how bad it looks without any fog or draw distance limitation in place.

As you said, looks like a tabletop game. It reminds me of a gmod map, hell, the version I played in VRChat with friends had better look & feel than this.

I think that the developers have no Earthly idea what GTA fans love about these games. They really doubled-down on all those technical improvements, which by the way seem to be at least partly responsible for all the glitches and problems. But whatever technical improvements there are, it all seems to come at the expense of what truly made GTA a groundbreaking game. These games were never pretty, but they had a certain charm, a charisma all their own. I think that defines this Trilogy iteration to me, lacking in any charm and charisma. It all looks so sanitized, at least what I have seen. They could have made the graphics better without sacrificing the soul of the game to the Gods of Financial Windfalls.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 2

suicidal_banana
8 hours ago, BadaBing_1996 said:

FD--XF3UUAQ0BHP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

18 minutes ago, ChiroVette said:

Wow, while i cant deny part of me likes the draw distance, that looks so bad, add some fog and clouds and stuff jesus christ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suicidal_banana said:

Wow, while i cant deny part of me likes the draw distance, that looks so bad, add some fog and clouds and stuff jesus christ.

I agree. But, you know, increasing the draw distance from the PS2 version certainly wasn't a bad idea. Hell, I booted up the PC version (2005 Trilogy) and it has a.....................................wait for it................................................wait for it..............................................Draw Distance Slider! I know, crazy, right? The point is, by all means, increase the draw distance. But not to that degree. Or give players the same slider I have in my almost 20 year old PC version of III.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 4

In my opinion Las Venturas and the surroundings look the worst, such a square.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 2:33 AM, RRT94 said:

Maybe they're trying to encrypt the game files because they forgot to do it before launching, thus making it unmoddable now

I was right!

• Like 3

Lock n' Stock
59 minutes ago, RRT94 said:

I was right!

Hopefully they've been backed up somewhere on the web now.

Edited by Lock n' Stock
  • YEE 1

suicidal_banana
16 hours ago, RRT94 said:

I was right!

So i've been looking around for this for the last 2 days, current dumpster fire aside i still love the original trilogy and wouldn't mind looking trough those leaks. Would be cool to see which of the rumored cut features are actually true, what else was planned, etc. Anybody that knows a source please reach out to me over a private msg. Also worth mentioning for any staff being concerned about this request, i bought each game in the trilogy at least 3 times so far (but obviously didn't get DE version) & i dont have a switch, i already own the games a few times over & i literally just want the files, for science. I'd say at worst my request is grey area 😛 😅 

• Like 2