1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Interview: Rockstar On Remastering Its Classic 3D GTA Games For A New Generation

Tez2

A deep dive into the Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas remasters with Rockstar producer Rich Rosado.

https://www.thegamer.com/gta-remastered-trilogy-rockstar-interview/

When it came to redesigning the characters, Rosado says the team consulted Rockstar North, including some of the original artists. Of all the upgraded visual elements in these new versions, the character models are perhaps the most striking and immediately different. "It's tough," says Rosado. "You're worried about what people will think. You can clean up a car and add more geometry, and it'll look like it did before, just more current. But the characters were much more difficult and involved a lot of iteration to make sure we were all comfortable with them."

This proved to be a significant technical challenge, because by taking the old code and carrying it over into a new renderer, the developer had two different engines running parallel with each other. "This brings a lot of technical headaches," says Rosado. "But it gave us what we wanted. Here's the game as it felt. But we also wanted to take advantage of the effects available in the new renderer, which enabled us to do far more than just add a new lighting effect here or there. You have a whole toolbox to play with. We also had plugins for current generation consoles, which made our lives a lot easier when it came to supporting those platforms."

Very interesting. So original artists were included in this release.

Just now, Spider-Vice said:

Oh wow. So the old game is still there under the hood.

When it came to redesigning the characters, Rosado says the team consulted Rockstar North, including some of the original artists. Of all the upgraded visual elements in these new versions, the character models are perhaps the most striking and immediately different. "It's tough," says Rosado. "You're worried about what people will think. You can clean up a car and add more geometry, and it'll look like it did before, just more current. But the characters were much more difficult and involved a lot of iteration to make sure we were all comfortable with them."

When I ask Rosado if any of the games were harder to update than the others, before I've even finished my question he holds up three fingers and laughs. "Grand Theft Auto 3, man," he says. "When we got to San Andreas, the last game we made for that generation, the art team was in a good flow, they understood the hardware very well. But when you compare those assets to GTA 3's, it was night and day. Its assets are more spartan, more box-like. Pedestrians were literally built like the Michelin Man. Their body was separated into chunks, so we had to reskin and retune them in a way that makes them more consistent with San Andreas."

16 minutes ago, Tez2 said:

Interview with Rich Rosado, Rockstar producer who worked on the project, as The Gamer claims.

https://www.thegamer.com/gta-remastered-trilogy-rockstar-interview/

@Chazza354 Sounds like it's not entirely Grove Street Games?

It's the norm for outsourced projects to be overseen by a producer or two from the main company.

This interview also confirms that they did not code the game from scratch, and is a remaster.

This proved to be a significant technical challenge, because by taking the old code and carrying it over into a new renderer, the developer had two different engines running parallel with each other.

I know this should be obvious but there were people adamant that they had to fully remake in order to move it to a new engine.

Edited by StarJet905

It's nice to have an interview from someone actually involved in this project. From a cynical perspective it's just a PR piece, but it does make me appreciate some of the challenges they've faced and some of the things they have done well. But ultimately I still think it's a pretty poor remaster considering the resources Rockstar have available. Better than nothing I guess though lol, it does look quite nice at times from the streams I've seen today. I still look forward to having a version of these games I can play on a portable system, I just hope the Switch version is ok technically - if this interview is to be believed, they've put a lot of effort into getting it working well on Switch and low end PCs.

Edited by Chazza354
  • Like 4

The one thing I'm hoping for is that GSG will look into the bugs that are present in the games and see if they can fix them.

However, I kinda feel Rockstar will say something along the lines of "No, your job is done, you won't work any further on this."

I honestly feel like Take-Two is that petty about modders that they'd rather put out a sh*t product than work with us. Imagine if they acted the opposite months ago and instead brought in select people from the modding community to act as QA and suggest changes/feedback or provide assets that they claim they no longer have.

3 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

I honestly feel like Take-Two is that petty about modders that they'd rather put out a sh*t product than work with us. Imagine if they acted the opposite months ago and instead brought in select people from the modding community to act as QA and suggest changes/feedback or provide assets that they claim they no longer have.

Like BGS.

Lock n' Stock

Sorry Rosado, but this just ain't good enough.

I'm also skeptical when he says they worked on the character models until they all felt "comfortable" about them. Looking at some of the models as they are, I struggle to wonder how they were approved.

ChengizVlad09

"The thing that drew people to these titles early on was the very specific way that they felt," says Rosado.

..and now it feels like a retarded GTA IV/V. 

universetwisters

Does it mention in the interview why they removed the original trilogy games off steam or if they plan on adding them back?

33 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Does it mention in the interview why they removed the original trilogy games off steam or if they plan on adding them back?

It doesn't.

2 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

Honestly? From everything I am seeing and reading about this latest Whavever Edition of The Trilogy, the devs that worked on this product needed all you modders for a helluva lot more than some advisory role. How in the hell can modders take those games and make them almost look like HD Era GTA games, and the actual, official devs...ya know, the pros, couldn't do a much better job of it? It is amazing to me, and illustrates quite obviously what many of us have believed from the outset of this project: That this version of The Trilogy was nothing more than a cash-grab with little thought to actually improving these games in a meaningful way.

One step forward and two steps back, you'll never get too far like that.

Overall I like it but it could be way better. Hopefully they bring out patches.

1 hour ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

"The thing that drew people to these titles early on was the very specific way that they felt," says Rosado.

..and now it feels like a retarded GTA IV/V. 

Yep. Dude, if we wanna play and have the classic feel we can just play the original versions. Either remaster character models PROPERLY or don't make these remasters at all. The cartoony characters don't fit into the environment at all. Plus there's the added disappointment for the lack of euphoria physics. 

ChengizVlad09

With all due respect; these articles are bunch of bullsh*t. It sounds almost like propaganda. In the best case, some sort of soft damage control.

47 minutes ago, Tez2 said:

I want the version of the game they're talking about in this article because once again most of this is fluff!

Some part of the interview sounds like an excuse for lazy work. I'm sorry. Also where are these volumetric clouds? 

ChengizVlad09

"The developers looked back over all three PS2-era GTA games and earmarked what makes them distinct. GTA is a series where the city comes first, and anyone who’s even been to Los Angeles can attest to how well San Andreas captures the tangerine glow of an L.A. sunset. When you’re up in the hills, it’s a city that seemingly stretches on forever – and now it can in-game too, thanks to improved draw distances – and when you’re downtown the city feels so flat that the sky might swallow you at any moment. 

“Each [city] has its own distinct style,” Rosado explains. “Vice City was like a flamingo threw up all over the place, so it’s always bright neons – you want to capture the extremes of 1980s Miami. When you get to San Andreas, it’s that mix right? It’s kind of the beat-up, rundown city but there’s always that sun – in the morning, it’s blinding, and at night, it’s this orange sky. So every city had certain signature elements.” "

Thank you for bringing back that highly recognizable tangerine glow of LS once again! Now that you have 'improved the draw distances' it 'glows' like never before! Btw, 'improved' general draw distance exactly means no tangerine glow, but even with that put aside, removing the draw distance fog is something that's been possible for years and it's piss easy to do. For the rest of the draw distances, it is amazing to see they are exactly the same as they were, literally the main thing that was needed to be fixed in order not to have; - for example - building details blury in one second and sharp in the next one as we approach closer. Now, neither of the cities has that 'distinct feel' to it this gentleman is talking about.

Thanks to their marvelous vision, all 3 games look like they have been put in to late 2010's, not to mention that entire SA area looks like one big city. What exactly is being claimed here, is beyond me I guess. Maybe I'm blind, dunno. It's unbelievable that someone engaged in making the originals considers orange sky as the only 'signature element', yet at the same time dozen of other things are missing.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

23 hours ago, BoringPedsDumbCops said:

I for one am very happy with the outcome, fans should always respect the passion these developers put into their work.

dyNfiFw.jpg

GqbK3Hb.png

cXPezRN.png

Kendl is using Joker skin care.

About that feel, someone should show this video to Wardrum Studio. Maybe, just maybe then we would have something, that feels at least a little bit realistic.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1