3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

VCS swimming should be added

DarkLink1308

IIn my opinion in GTA 3 and GTA VC The Definitive Edition a swimming mechanic similar to GTA VCS should be added.  Just to avoid accidents because in the original game if you stay close to water sometimes the game teleport you into or out of the water and that is very unfair.

For VC, I'd agree, but I like the idea that Liberty City's waters are THAT polluted that it's literally unsafe to swim in. Plus that way you'd have a progression system from no swimming, to swimming on surface only, to being able to dive underwater.

• Like 3

CynicalMexican
1 hour ago, Ash_735 said:

For VC, I'd agree, but I like the idea that Liberty City's waters are THAT polluted that it's literally unsafe to swim in. Plus that way you'd have a progression system from no swimming, to swimming on surface only, to being able to dive underwater.

Frankly, I don't think I've met anyone who just casually swims the waters of New York, Boston, Baltimore, or Philadelphia straight up in October. Shocking, I know. 

Swimming kinda doesn't make sense to add to GTA 3 IMO. Then again, Niko had no problem swimming in GTA 4 so who knows.

44 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

Frankly, I don't think I've met anyone who just casually swims the waters of New York, Boston, Baltimore, or Philadelphia straight up in October. Shocking, I know. 

It's kinda rare to see that lol

10 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

Then again, Niko had no problem swimming in GTA 4 so who knows.

To be fair, I don't think Niko would give a flying toss about jumping into some polluted Liberty City water – he's literally a hardened war veteran who came from a very poor background (not to mention, his family all grew up with no running water.)

Edited by triks
  • Like 2

I think VC would benefit greatly from having VCS-style swimming. Ability to swim in VC would also open up new methods on completing several missions (e.g. Naval Engagement, The Fastest Boat). For example, we can swim to land on Naval Engagement and sneak attack the Haitian and Shark gangs.

Vice city should definitely add swimming, its miami after all. Alot of the mansions have pools, itll just make sense to let you swim in it

All games should have swimming, it's 2021 for f*cks sake, the technical limitations are long gone and we should be asking for and expecting better from the developers.

Plus, map boundaries doesn't seems to be the issue since all games had boats and hard boundaries, all they have to do is apply said boundaries for swimming too.

If they are not adding swimming, even if the game won't properly utilize the feature, then it will just be laziness on their part because it's something 100% doable to do.

All these reasons like polluted waters, etc. are just excuses. Sure, people may not swim in New York in real life but you don't also see them blowing up half the city either.

Swimming and bikes should be added as the bare minimum for a game in 2021.

Edited by SquoniX

I don't understand people.

"The games don't even feel like the original anymore"
"We want swimming ability in the Trilogy"

Requesting new features but complain if something else is a little different than the original.

• Like 3

RECO-BEAVER-BURGERS

I would like for them to add swimming to both VC & LC as well 

1. VC  could make Swimming risky by adding sharks that will kill instantly if you get to close.

2. LC could add a stamina meter to indicate how exhausting it is while trying to swim in polluted water also maybe even add on screen effects to indicate whether or not you are still covered in flammable waste. (Think of the drunk cheat that makes the screen look blurry and dizzy but with a slight color tint)

Edited by RECO-BEAVER-BURGERS

CynicalMexican
On 11/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, Havi said:

Requesting new features but complain if something else is a little different than the original.

That's the tricky thing about any redux: you want to keep the charm and aesthetic of the original without bringing back any of the sort of drawbacks that existed back then.

I have no idea how this game is being coded, but my assumption is that abilities such as swimming can be relatively quick to add, and such. After all, it's being built on a new engine with the original source code.

Swimming in GTA 3 isn't a do or die feature for me, but it wouldn't hurt to have it either.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, Ash_735 said:

I think it would still make sense, the longer you stay in the water more hit points you'll lose. It gives the impression that water pollution is ruining your characters health.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:56 PM, Havi said:

The lack of swimming mechanics in GTA 3 and GTA VC is clearly a technical limitation. There are times in the game when you are close to water the game teleports you into the water and there are times in the game when you are in water the game teleports you out of water. It makes no sense. Adding the swimming mechanics of GTA SA to GTA 3 and GTA VC would be too much of an exaggeration because there will be nothing for you to explore in the depths of the water. But adding the GTA VCS swimming mechanics to GTA 3 and GTA VC would fit perfect because it would fix the teleporting in and out of the water issue that these games have. You wouldn't be able to swim for long because you would die and you wouldn't be able to swim in the depths of the water either because there is nothing to see there. People complain about changes when they are bad, but that kind of change most people agree that would be a good change for these games.

For real, people here are buying way too much into "let's keep the original feel" to justify deliberate laziness on the devs part that are more than capable of doing better than this.

And even then, exactly what part of the original games feel it would break that much that it could cause problems to you?

If it's just because you don't want the possibility of exploring the full map earlier, then that's just asinine because you could ALWAYS explore the rest of the map earlier in GTA III and VC by just using cheat codes.

The option was always available to be used, it's just that players decided not to...With swimming it's the exact same f*cking thing: If you don't want to swim, then just don't 🤷‍♂️

The game's are offline anyway, who f*ckibg cares about how you play the game?

On 11/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, RECO-BEAVER-BURGERS said:

I would like for them to add swimming to both VC & LC as well 

1. VC  could make Swimming risky by adding sharks that will kill instantly if you get to close.

2. LC could add a stamina meter to indicate how exhausting it is while trying to swim in polluted water also maybe even add on screen effects to indicate whether or not you are still covered in flammable waste. (Think of the drunk cheat that makes the screen look blurry and dizzy but with a slight color tint)

Bruh.

Don't overcomplicate things. A simple VCS-like stamina meter is more than enough. After all, VCS was built from VC's engine. It's perfectly doable.

As for the polluted waste in the waters of NYC ... it's not bloody Chernobyl. 

On 11/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, Ash_735 said:

I mean maybe not instantly dying in LC waters would make at least some sense. Kinda like in RDR2 with John, you get a chance to back out, he won't die immediately at least.

StraightouttaNewport

Really don't get why people think this is a problem. Have any of you actually played VCS? getting dumped in the water via a destroyed boat or whatever sucks since there's only a few places you can get back on land. This would be even worse with 3's map since there'd be even fewer spots, literally all I can think off is the beach in portland right now. 

This discussion is reallly ridiculous.

The reason why there was no swimming in the old games was because of the deliberate decision not to add it. Why only Rockstar knows. But it's not due to ''technical limitations'' nor ''pollution'' or ''you can't swim in october'' or ''sharks''. It's just ad-hoc arguments to defend no swimming in the game. The laws of nature did not force the writers of GTA III to have ''deadly, polluted water'' in the game. Same in RDR and RDR2 - John cannot swim and its a deliberate decision. Nobody force the storywriters to do it as little as they were forced to give Arthur the ability to swim. They choosed to not add a swimming mechanic, and then they choosed to use these arguments to defend it. It's as simple as that. There is nothing more to discuss.

Now, it's not 2001 anymore and most people won't feel happy about dying in an open world game because they tripped and fell into the water. Truth is, people didn't like it back in 2001-2002 either. If swimming was added in DE few (if any) people would not complain about it and ask for a drown button. Do I think swimming should be added into these games? Yes, I do. Do I think it will be added? No, I don't think so. If Rockstar cared about the Definitive Edtitions and their fans they would not have released DE in the first place considering the state the game is in. Plus there is more urgent stuff to fix, such as hundereds of glitches and bugs - and GSG trackrecord tells us that not even that will be fully fixed.

Edited by Cyper