2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

How is Rockstar Games woke?

MetroFloaty

CynicalMexican
6 hours ago, SonnyNapoli said:

Returning to the topic of Rockstar Games - luckily enough they've managed to stay off this route for a pretty long time and not get bullied into total censorship by anyone. Rockstar games made fun and ridiculed everyone and everything - both liberals and conservatives, the way they did Hilary Clinton in GTA 4 was a pimp move. You could see the satire on everyone, even by listening to how NPC's on the street talk or by reading in-game internet and listening to radio talk shows. 

But I guess that times are about to end even for Rockstar. Houser brothers left the company and I'm pretty sure those folks who fill the void are not as ballsy as Houser brothers team were. Call me a pessimist, but I think if they ever release GTA 6 - it won't be as satirical as previous titles, I don't think they will dare to make fun of the angry woke mob. I guess it will be another piece of mild sh*t, from indoctrinated millenial folks for indoctrinated millenial folks. For now, let's just see how much stuff they gonna cut from GTA Trilogy to meet modern society standarts and avoid offending anybody.

The thing is though, this narrative that Rockstar Games "fell victim to wokeness" isn't so straight forward though.

What happened to R* was they created a money-making machine and they've just run with it; whether that has ruined their development schedule is up to debate, but it's mostly been shark cards and such, where modern politics are largely irrelevant. I can't comment on the content in the GTAO DLCs because... well I don't play that sh*t.

GTA III, I would argue, was pretty tame when it came to its satire and I felt in many ways GTA V was a lot more "offensive" than GTA III, though that's just a personal opinion. Then again, GTA III is kinda odd; it felt like R* was trying for a more serious direction initially before the game's content became a lot more mellow overall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SonnyNapoli said:

Millenial power fantasy my ass.

You say Millennial power fantasy? How So? 🤔

Most millennials are in their 30s & 40s... Hell, Im one of the "Younger" Millennials and im 30...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Researchers and popular media use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years, with the generation typically being defined as people born from 1981 to 1996

• Like 2

CynicalMexican
44 minutes ago, Wakka387 said:

Most millennials are in their 30s & 40s... Hell, Im one of the "Younger" Millennials and im 30...

I don't even see how the generational thing is really relevant to begin with; millennials, like any other generation group, can have a huge variety of views.

I have a feeling most of GTAF is millennial-Gen Z.

Anyway, the whole thing is "millennials are weak", a bullsh*t narrative that is believed because apparently, holding old-ass white farts accountable for their actions is a taboo. But anyway, I'll stop the politics there.

Edited by CynicalMexican

1 hour ago, Wakka387 said:

Don't shoot the messenger, it's how Jim Boone literally described it.

• excuseme 1

CynicalMexican
1 hour ago, SonnyNapoli said:

Don't shoot the messenger, it's how Jim Boone literally described it.

Jim Boone - Men's Basketball Head Coach - Staff Directory - UA Fort Smith Athletics (uafortsmithlions.com)

This guy?

• KEKW 3

TwistOfLime21

I wouldn’t really call them ‘woke’ based on what they’ve released so far. Only Red Dead 2 has been made in this woke era. I’ve seen some people make the point that Sadie Adler is their answer to the woke brigade. We’ll see in GTA VI if they decide to go down that route. I sure hope they don’t but I think it’d be unavoidable. But then again, we’re in a world where women are men and men can get pregnant and menstruate apparently so it’s like we’re living in a satirical GTA world.

• Like 2

yungstirjoey666

There are worse things going on in the video game industry than some identity politics. Greed, lack of creativity, and poor gameplay. In short, capitalism is to blame for the current status of video games, not feminism or whatever. Truthfully speaking, I'm not a huge fan of woke culture nowadays (eg. that "Latinx" and cultural appropriation nonsense), but also at the same time the reactionaries can be just as guilty blowing things out of proportion.

Back with Rockstars, I will say that Franklin suffered from black best friend syndrome in the story. He's just too chill and too much of a backbone to Trevor and Michael instead of focusing more on his story. Of course, I blame this more on poor writing in general than any political agenda.

Edited by yungstirjoey666
  • Like 3

CynicalMexican

Mostly staying away from the massive community meltdown, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Looking at what we've seen from the remasters, pretty much everything (except the Confederate flag, which is only relevant to the story in Vice City Stories) seems to be there, except the Haitians/Cubans dialogue, but that was a controversy from 2003, so I'm not gonna flip my sh*t over it.

I'm just going to call it as I see it - this was an attempt to shoehorn in modern politics and somehow make it as a major issue in a game, even though it's a largely irrelevant issue.

This argument relied on a slippery slope - if one thing changed, they obviously changed everything! And Rockstar is now behest to left wing politics! But controversial things ranging from Freddie the bisexual pocho gangster you kill early on in San Andreas to the cross dressing psycho still being present, show me that any changes "for the woke crowd" were miscellaneous at best.

If we do get a VCS remaster as DLC, the Confederate flag will become a legitimate issue - it's used as a gang symbol by a rival faction (The Trailer Park Mafia), and removing it will negatively affect the game.

Anyway, that's all I really have to say on this issue. This was purely an attempt to force in modern politics into something where it was completely irrelevant. 

suicidehummer

I have to say, I'm surprised this discussion wasn't the sh*tshow you usually expect whenever the subject comes up.

All I'm gonna say is that the people who complain about "pc culture", "wokeness", "sjws" and "cancel culture" (and invariably never STFU about it), are infinitely more easily offended than those they hate. Because ultimately, being offended by racism makes you a normal human being, whereas being offended by other people taking offense at something? That's just reactionary and obsessive. What they're really offended by is criticism of their own prejudices, and any kind of deeper analysis of prejudice where the bar is set higher than "you have to be a card carrying KKK member to be racist, otherwise you're perfect".

I put it this way; if you've already decided "I can't possibly be racist", then you aren't actually critiquing your own behavior to find out whether you're being prejudiced.

• Like 6

On 11/2/2021 at 2:00 AM, MetroFloaty said:

I see people saying they are all the time but I still don't understand what they're talking about, lol, just sounds like neoconservative drivel 

Yes, not wanting BS woke politics and leftist ideology shoved down your throat or you'll be labeled a bigot and racist and canceled is "Neo conservative drivel". Give me a break!

Edited by S1aveUnit

2 minutes ago, S1aveUnit said:

Yes, not wanting BS woke politics and leftist ideology shoved down your throat or you'll be labeled a bigot and racist and canceled is "Neo conservative drivel". Give me a break!

What politics were shoved down your throat in a Rockstar Game as of late? 

• Like 2

CynicalMexican
21 hours ago, S1aveUnit said:

Mate, at the end of the day, it all comes down to perspective and perception.

I'm Mexican and we get shat on all the time even we have a thing with our comedy where it's a lot of self-satire and self-parody. There are a lot of negative stereotypes about the country which do reflect some nasty issues that exist (homophobia, racism/Amerindian rights, women's rights/misogyny, machismo, our president is a bit of a boob, etc.). I've learned not to really care much about it - so what if some people have negative stereotypes, they can suck it and I'll be a proud individual.

I could probably watch something like the Looney Tunes and complain "omg Speedy is offensive" but I see the fun and truth in the character. Lighten up. People are too stoic and defensive with their beliefs these days, it's sad.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:13 AM, CynicalMexican said:

Mostly staying away from the massive community meltdown, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Looking at what we've seen from the remasters, pretty much everything (except the Confederate flag, which is only relevant to the story in Vice City Stories) seems to be there, except the Haitians/Cubans dialogue, but that was a controversy from 2003, so I'm not gonna flip my sh*t over it.

I'm just going to call it as I see it - this was an attempt to shoehorn in modern politics and somehow make it as a major issue in a game, even though it's a largely irrelevant issue.

This argument relied on a slippery slope - if one thing changed, they obviously changed everything! And Rockstar is now behest to left wing politics! But controversial things ranging from Freddie the bisexual pocho gangster you kill early on in San Andreas to the cross dressing psycho still being present, show me that any changes "for the woke crowd" were miscellaneous at best.

If we do get a VCS remaster as DLC, the Confederate flag will become a legitimate issue - it's used as a gang symbol by a rival faction (The Trailer Park Mafia), and removing it will negatively affect the game.

Anyway, that's all I really have to say on this issue. This was purely an attempt to force in modern politics into something where it was completely irrelevant. 

tl;dr: a /v/irgin saw censored dixie flag and started flipping sh*t

On 11/11/2021 at 1:39 AM, suicidehummer said:

being offended by other people taking offense at something? That's just reactionary and obsessive

That's not the point though. The point is that the companies pandering to this sensitivity force everyone to have a difference experience in an attempt to acknowledge it, not that people are merely reacting to the sensitivity itself. International versions of these games have censorship issues too, but very few care because it doesn't affect them unless they live in those countries. "Problematic" things being cut from every version, especially western versions, will not fly well with western audiences. Companies like R* don't seem to have an idea of what the Streisand effect is. 

It's almost as if they missed the point with this censorship too. I could understand something like the Mass Effect LE Miranda buttshot removal, because that made little sense in the first place given the intensity of the scene, but this Definitive Edition removed confederate flags that were vital in satirizing a redneck like Phil Cassidy. The conservative flag also existed in the San Andreas 'Home Invasion' mission, which would have the player burglarizing a house with the conservative flag pinned to the wall. This was supposed to have the player feel less guilty for robbing some random old man, so it's removal is nothing if not counterproductive. 

I dislike reactionaries boycotting anything they deem "censorship" too, but there's no smoke without fire. Companies like R* are just as bad if not more for letting political ideologues influence how they remaster their games. 

It's very much the same thing with the Swastika being censored in WWII games. You don't have to be a Nazi to see it's importance within the game's context. The game feels less authentic as a result. 

• Realistic Steak! 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:22 AM, TwistOfLime21 said:

I wouldn’t really call them ‘woke’ based on what they’ve released so far. Only Red Dead 2 has been made in this woke era. I’ve seen some people make the point that Sadie Adler is their answer to the woke brigade. We’ll see in GTA VI if they decide to go down that route. I sure hope they don’t but I think it’d be unavoidable. But then again, we’re in a world where women are men and men can get pregnant and menstruate apparently so it’s like we’re living in a satirical GTA world.

There is no "Woke Era", it is a buzzword of people playing identity politics.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, CynicalMexican said:

#FACTS

It was a sh*tty dog whistle to try to create outrage where there is none.

9 hours ago, SageFan said:

That's not the point though. The point is that the companies pandering to this sensitivity force everyone to have a difference experience in an attempt to acknowledge it, not that people are merely reacting to the sensitivity itself. International versions of these games have censorship issues too, but very few care because it doesn't affect them unless they live in those countries. "Problematic" things being cut from every version, especially western versions, will not fly well with western audiences. Companies like R* don't seem to have an idea of what the Streisand effect is.

International censorship is generally done by them company themselves due to a "difference of culture" or because of "ratings boards".

While yes, It is stupid. You have to understand that western countries like america have a strong "puritan"/"religious" influence, so a lot of things that are seen as normal elsewhere are considered "taboo" here.

When talking about japanese games, it generally boils down to "Open Sexuality" vs "Puritan values". Which is where the censorship stems from, unfortunately.

The same also applies in reverse, America is all about shoot-bangs and death, but elsewhere, life is seen as more precious and certain countries ban images of death.

🤷🏾‍♂️

It's almost as if they missed the point with this censorship too. I could understand something like the Mass Effect LE Miranda buttshot removal, because that made little sense in the first place given the intensity of the scene, but this Definitive Edition removed confederate flags that were vital in satirizing a redneck like Phil Cassidy. The conservative flag also existed in the San Andreas 'Home Invasion' mission, which would have the player burglarizing a house with the conservative flag pinned to the wall. This was supposed to have the player feel less guilty for robbing some random old man, so it's removal is nothing if not counterproductive.

The Confederate Flag on phil cassidy's shirt doesn't really add anything other than the fact that he wears one. It doesn't affect gameplay when it is removed, nor does it change his character in any meaningful way.

As for Fuhrburgers house, as you mentioned. You still get the same effect regardless if the flag is there or not... In fact, one could easily say the flag is actually out of place in the state that San Andreas is portraying, considering it is generally used by people from the southern US. It would fit more in Vice City (which is a city in the southern US) rather than Los Santos.

Also, Calling it a "Conservative Flag" is a stretch... Considering it's history, it is less of a symbol of conservatism and more of a symbol of Racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_battle_flag

It was explicitly used as a symbol of "Racial Segregation" & "Anti-Civil Rights" in america, rather than "Southern pride" as people like to claim it...

The phenomenon began in the late-19th century; the use and acceptance of the flag generally expanded during the nadir of American race relations and the Jim Crow era.[2] In the run-up to the 1948 United States presidential election it was adopted by the Dixiecrats, a short-lived political party which defended racial segregation and opposed civil rights for African Americans.[3][4] The flag was also deployed in direct opposition to the Brown v. Board of Education decision, civil rights movement, and passage of federal civil rights laws in the 1950s and '60s.[5]

A proper conservative flag would be the "Gadsden" flag.

I dislike reactionaries boycotting anything they deem "censorship" too, but there's no smoke without fire. Companies like R* are just as bad if not more for letting political ideologues influence how they remaster their games.

The problem with this modern era that we live in is the major lack of "Context". Something that a game made 20 years ago tried to point out as an inevitability of the digital age.

as seen with the recent "confederate flag" false controversy in GTA Trilogy, anything can be tossed around and painted as "true" without proof, and people are willing to eat it up if it adheres with their views.

I recommend taking the above into account and watching this, as Metal Gear Solid elegantly portrays the exact issue that the world is currently facing, where people spread "Half-Truths" to further their political ideology while anything being done to provide "Context" or help combat misinformation is considered "censorship".

It's very much the same thing with the Swastika being censored in WWII games. You don't have to be a Nazi to see it's importance within the game's context. The game feels less authentic as a result. 

Swastikas were ever only fully censored (by government) specifically in countries where "Nazi Germany" had an affect during WW2.

Outside of that, the only exception would be in terms of multiplayer games, where it could create an optic of "endorsing" nazisim by allowing players to play as a character identified as such.

Granted, if you want to talk in terms of business/advertisements. Due to the "revival" of Nazi Ideals in the west, a lot of advertising companies would prefer not having their brands associated with the symbol, so some companies tend to block it (not actual censorship as private businesses do not adhere to the first amendment like the government does, they have a right to refuse to allow anything they do not like. This right has been upheld by the supreme court on numerous occasions.

Edited by Wakka387
  • Like 3

suicidehummer

You can try to justify it, but nobody is being "forced" to do anything. You can "vote with your wallet". Conservatives claim to believe that's an effective mechanism for change. Never mind that force is sometimes necessary; are you against businesses being "forced" to serve black customers? The problem here is accusing "censorship" for what is actually simple criticism. Censorship requires power, which a 13 year old on Twitter does not have. Actual censorship always comes from the right; it was the Christian "Moral Majority" that got ratings systems set up and "explicit content" labels on music. They are still literally burning books to this day: https://www.businessinsider.com/virginia-school-board-members-call-for-books-to-be-burned-2021-11

Meanwhile, you are accusing people of censorship for simply speaking their minds on social media, and other people choosing to modify their behavior of their own volition in response to the criticism. That is how society has always worked. Social norms change with time. The ultimate proof that "cancel culture" doesn't exist is that Dave Chappelle has not had any meaningful change in his career. Meanwhile, who actually lost their job? Some of the Netflix employees who spoke out about their concerns with his special. Where are the self-proclaimed free speech warriors on that? Nowhere to be found. Why? Because it's 100% political and free speech is just a shield to hide behind.

Confederate flags were "vital" in satirizing a redneck? Come on. As if nobody would know he's a redneck otherwise.

There's absolutely smoke without fire. You seriously think they don't make stuff up whole cloth? They've been caught doing it again and again. Every story that comes out turns out to be either made up or deliberately mischaracterized once you actually dig into it.

Your mistake is assuming that anything was non-political to begin with. The social status-quo prior to the current progressive movement was HEAVILY shaped by the Reagan revolution. That's why war games often present hilariously pro-American biased views of historical engagements and nobody questioned it at all (until recently). Games were always political because nothing is untouched by politics. And in most cases, as others have stated, the current movement is actually for a MORE impartial and historically accurate telling of things.

The idea that choosing to react to criticism of your own volition is just as bad as actual "forced" censorship, makes no sense. Heck, R* wasn't even criticized for the confederate flag. There is no greater example of the phantom enemy that is "cancel culture" than pointing to a developer simply changing its mind about something with no pressure whatsoever from the public over it.

Edited by suicidehummer

Valiant ENT CEO

In conclusion, Rockstar games are woke. They changed their classic title (VC) by removing the Confederate flag from Phil Cassidy. Inside and out. It's not even a discussion anymore. It's clear as day. Because if you say it didn't matter? Well. It wouldn't have changed.

Did the OP even comment any further after asking the initial question? He has PLENTY to think about.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, MetroFloaty said:

I see people saying they are all the time but I still don't understand what they're talking about, lol, just sounds like neoconservative drivel 

This is just stupid. 

They remove something that for some people is mega offensive and therefore they are called "woke". 

There is nothing wrong with being on the right side of history. I personally don't really care if they include content that is offensive tho, but I don't like the "woke" term. Is starting to sound a lot like what people complain about with the term racism as well. 

• 5 months later...
Lucasddst

I came from the future to say that Rockstar removed transgender NPCs from the new version of GTA V. Yes. Rockstar is now woke

dante財閥

I'd love the word 'woke' to be erased, or at least returned to proper usage and not be a co-opted buzz phrase of the culture wars overlords.

• Like 6

universetwisters
12 hours ago, Lucasddst said:

I came from the future to say that Rockstar removed transgender NPCs from the new version of GTA V

Didn't they already do this tho in the E&E version?

Kinda weird how Rockstar can be like "we make fun of every group except for XYZ" but it's whatever at this point

yungstirjoey666
Posted (edited)

I won't say that they're truly "woke," but they are becoming more politically correct, which could affect their games. There is a difference between pushing a political agenda and simply pandering, and they're more in the latter (in the contrary, TLOU2 is woke-pushing but definitely not what I'd call "politically incorrect").

Either way, Rockstars has pretty much fell from grace ever since they became corporate greed. Seems like there is no turning back now. Indie gaming and FromSoftware are the way to go for now.

Edited by yungstirjoey666
  • Like 3

Rockstar has truly gone woke. There's rumors circulating that their next game is going to feature an undocumented immigrant who arrives in New York City on a boat. There's even going to be a mission where he helps his gay friend beat a homophobe to death in Central Park. Another where a conservative politician is being blackmailed by the game's antagonist for hiding his homosexuality. Even worse he goes on rants about undocumented immigrants facing unfair treatment and discrimination in this country. Rumor has it the in-game internet is even full of left leaning satire. The scariest part is one of the game's expansions will feature a dominican POC who works for a gay nightclub owner. This is all leaked gameplay by the way make sure you watch before Take-Two finds it.

2008 era Rockstar would've never done this but alas the woke mob has infiltrated yet another studio.

4 hours ago, D T said:

Rockstar has truly gone woke. There's rumors circulating that their next game is going to feature an undocumented immigrant who arrives in New York City on a boat. There's even going to be a mission where he helps his gay friend beat a homophobe to death in Central Park. Another where a conservative politician is being blackmailed by the game's antagonist for hiding his homosexuality. Even worse he goes on rants about undocumented immigrants facing unfair treatment and discrimination in this country. Rumor has it the in-game internet is even full of left leaning satire. The scariest part is one of the game's expansions will feature a dominican POC who works for a gay nightclub owner. This is all leaked gameplay by the way make sure you watch before Take-Two finds it.

Think of the children!

Hotband

Three Words - Cops and Crooks (if they CANCELED it, that is. We will find out that answer sometime in June I suspect. If it ain't releasing this year it never will.)

That is all.

Spoiler

Oh btw if they did then expect GTA VI to be toned down pretty good, I mean it probably already is in some way thanks to today's world but canning an entire update where people dress as cops(oh the horror! ...Well that just says it all really...

11 hours ago, Hotband said:

Three Words - Cops and Crooks (if they CANCELED it, that is. We will find out that answer sometime in June I suspect. If it ain't releasing this year it never will.)

That is all.

Hide contents

Oh btw if they did then expect GTA VI to be toned down pretty good, I mean it probably already is in some way thanks to today's world but canning an entire update where people dress as cops(oh the horror! ...Well that just says it all really...

Dude, everything what was salvageable from CnC you got in LSSS; it's dead for years

Zapper
On 5/11/2022 at 2:50 AM, D T said:

2008 era Rockstar would've never done this but alas the woke mob has infiltrated yet another studio.

I wonder how certain people would react if this mission from VCS was actually made for the next GTA.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:50 AM, D T said:

The scariest part is one of the game's expansions will feature a dominican POC who works for a gay nightclub owner.

Impossible! Rockstar doesn't make SP expansions anymore. It's fake news :prismkek:.

Donald Lov

It's not like their satire was ever controversial in the first place. Just like South Park, Family Guy and all those "offensive" things, even within their satire, they've always been pandering to the establishment and status quo, emphasizing and holding the views of an average modern, globalized, cosmopoltinized, semi-educated, self-conscious city dweller who likes to think that his ideas are "controversial" and go against the establishment. So, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they will go through with the "cutting-edge" trends of our age. Why not? It's not like they're martyrs willing to be crucified for their right to spread wide-spread opinions.