1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto: Mob Rules

The Notorious MOB

The Notorious MOB
Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, Claude4Catalina said:

speaking of GTA V's mission structure, I felt like with the focus on heisting they dropped the ball big time by not allowing us a replayable heist mode in free roam; nothing as extensive as Payday but more in line with what you see in GTA Online; Franklin meets Lester in a warehouse to set up their hub, contacts come through like Lester knowing a guy who knows the routes for breadvans or Lamar knows of a Vago stash house that is a prime target, and these targets can be knocked off with a hand selected crew of AI, the proceeds brought back to the warehouse (think Reservoir Dogs) and through computer magic wizardry Lester gets us a payday.  granted it makes little sense story-wise for Franklin to carry on after the UD heist but one thing I miss tremendously is the idea of being an open world criminal in a GTA game, EFLC had it right with Gang Wars and Drug Wars and I think the idea of having jobs set up naturally through the miscreants that come through the pub is another step in that direction, conjures up images of the set up for the Lufthansa heist in Goodfellas.

useful thing about taking odd jobs from the pub is that you can also use it as a way to tie in other maybe less than criminal tasks or facets of the world you've created that you want to explore but can't slot in naturally without bloating the main storyline.  its always nice to get a brief window into the lives of our cast of characters without it turning into a soap opera, same as if you wanted to take a quick look at another gang in the city without creating a whole other subplot that again, risks bloating the main story.

Funnily enough, a lot of this will actually appear in some form. Terry McEvoy owns a warehouse (Squirrel Storage in GTA IV) right by the bar that can be used for storing the proceeds of Truck hijackings, and on a smaller scale, Bobby Brady can also fence items such as jewellery and electricals pilfered from glove boxes or jacked from npcs on the street.

Morris Schulman will be a not so veiled stand in for Goodfellas/Wiseguy's Martin Krugman. And heists will also be further expanded via a multi-factional crew who meet up in The Watering Hole in Broker (which will later be converted to The Ming Inn). This will be the launch pad for the more traditional multi-stage robberies seen in GTA V. And you can bring in other characters you meet in order to fill specific roles with drivers ranging from amateur street racers to struggling musicians who'll fall asleep after shooting heroin and fail to turn up.

In somewhat of a step up from what we've seen so far, there'll also be opportunities to link up with versatile all rounders by completing favours for them and whittle down a four way fraction of the takings into a 50/50 split.

Generally speaking, there'll be quite a wide selection of heists. But if you wanted to go another way you can jump with both feet into drug trafficking or go the more traditional route and become a high level enforcer for a variety of outfits. I suppose it'd sort of be like RDR's roles in a way without the codswallop and capitale.

The envisioned scope of the story is also pretty massive, so that would be one of the main reasons I chose to go for such a gameplay structure too, yes.

Edited by The Notorious MOB

• 3 months later...
wise_man
On 10/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, The Notorious MOB said:

That’s why this time around, connections are key. More connections mean more opportunities. The choices you make and the people you speak to will also heavily dictate your path. This means that a single linear road to victory doesn’t exist and you can get to certain points in the story at different stages depending on the order of mission strands. 

For example we know that Delaney is a man with much needed connections, he’s in with the Pavanos, and the Gambettis, from bouncing around from prison to prison he also spent brief periods with the likes of Melvin Noble and members of Al D’Amico’s gang… and in some cases may look to get one over on them. Spending more time with Mario Coletti or Derrick McReary however may also lead you to the same point in the story at differing speeds. Certain characters may also get killed or arrested before you ever have a chance to interact with them.

There are also no cellphones, so unless somebody specifically leaves a message for you, then you must go and see them on your own initiative. Once you make a contact, their location will be marked on your map, but that may not necessarily mean that there’s a mission available. If you pop in on them at the wrong time however, you may just catch a random event, completely miss them, find one of their underlings or initiate a friend activity, depending on the circumstances. Phones are still a thing however, so if you manage to find them you can also catch a not so subtle little hint of somebody wanting to see you and where you can find them by making a call. Provided of course that you aren’t down to your last couple of cents.

This is the first time I'm skimming through the gameplay section. This is exactly the type of story mechanic that I feel missing from my project Light & Shadow. A system where you can connect to any possible client around the city in any order. However, your opportunities also actively making progress like you do, so encounter may differ depending on what mission/situation occured beforehand. Not only it gives unique replayability, it also injects more life into the game world. 

Now I'm thinking of implementing a system like this too because it's really well-fitting with my project. Modification is a must, though, as L&S have three protagonists (that can only be played one by one in Part 1 of the story), there's risk of making messy narrative if not handled correctly.

Edited by wise_man

• 2 weeks later...
The Coconut Kid
On 4/19/2022 at 11:17 AM, wise_man said:

This is the first time I'm skimming through the gameplay section. This is exactly the type of story mechanic that I feel missing from my project Light & Shadow. A system where you can connect to any possible client around the city in any order. However, your opportunities also actively making progress like you do, so encounter may differ depending on what mission/situation occured beforehand. Not only it gives unique replayability, it also injects more life into the game world.

I'm guilty of skimming the gameplay sections too. We can be too invested in what MOB is doing with the missions... :p

It is an interesting story mechanic to discuss. There are a few of us who have hit on the same idea.

I was very interested in the shift mechanic from Driver: San Francisco and the birds-eye view from The Godfather II here.

My own plans were more gang and empire focused. I liked the idea of being able to generate a completely unique underworld with each play through.

I went back and built on this for the Contacts and Criminal Rating system here. It's important to me that we're able to drive the story with our own actions outside of missions. There shouldn't be one set way to play. If I want to build up an army of corrupt cops and play the story low key, why shouldn't I be able to?

MOB has hit on a similar idea. You can go out in the game world and pursue people to get where you're going faster.

You've taken this to another level in Light & Shadow. I hope you'll discuss it with us in more depth over there. :)

Edited by The Coconut Kid