4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA Trilogy Definitive Wish List

The Big Smoke

The Big Smoke

In anticipation for GTA Definitive Edition, this is my ultimate wish list for enhancements beyond the obvious graphics and performance. I'm adding features that I feel would not break the original design of the games. In fact, I believe some of these would have made it into the games if the PS2 was capable of them in 2001-2004 and Rockstar developed the trilogy more cohesively. I also realize many will be picking up the games for the first time and will not be as forgiving as us franchise veterans. That’s why I propose some quality of life improvements. 

Multiple games 

• Aiming system is unified between all 3 games. Lock-on is closest to SA, with the color of the crosshair representing the enemy’s health. You can also free aim all weapons, without being forced into first-person view for guns like the M16. 

• Longer missions have checkpoints. This will especially help in missions with long car rides.

• Improved friendly AI, where allies can follow you anywhere. No more “You left [ally] behind. Come back and get him.” 

• Add a IV/V map and GPS, where you can add waypoints and plot the fastest route. Discovered collectibles can be toggled on/off. In VC and SA, owned businesses display how much money can be picked up.
  • Expand first person camera from III and VC to a full FPS mode in all 3 games. You can now complete the entire trilogy in first person. 

• Returning from VCS, is the ability to purchase your guns back from the hospital or police station for a flat fee. 

• Completing all story missions allows you to replay any of them from your safe house. 

• Add a V-style video editor, where players can make their own short films and upload them. Player and character models from the 3 games can be mixed and matched. 

• An editor lets you drop down props from each game and create scripts to make fun and challenging missions that other players can download and try. Think: Super Mario Maker, GTA style.

• Toggle in the menu between the classic and enhanced graphics, a feature first seen in Halo: Anniversary. Since the old games were removed from stores, let purists enjoy the classics at a locked 60 FPS. 

• 100% checklist is built into the menu that updates automatically as you complete it. 

• This one is controversial but necessary. Water in III and VC is no longer a death trap. Because those cities were not designed for swimming, you will automatically fast travel to shore when falling in the water. 

• Add climbing to III and VC to eliminate the frustration of jumping over small barriers. 

• Add the ability to move while crouching and rolling from SA to III and VC.

• Remove loading between islands in III and VC. Remove the loading during interiors by making it seamless, like in IV/V. 

GTA III

• Add poppable tires.

• Add bailing out of moving vehicles.

• Add breakable windshields. 

• Make the Mafia less aggressive after Sayonara Salvatore. Remove their shotguns. Hostile gangs have to get a good look at you before attacking.

• Change the generic helicopter model to the Maverick/Police Maverick from VC/SA.

• Prevents you from completing Waka-Gashira Wipeout! prior to Kenji’s missions, thus locking unsuspecting players out of 100% completion,

GTA VC

• Bring back the Tear Gas weapon from the PS2 version of VC. This was removed due to FPS drops, not an issue on modern systems.

GTA SA

• The frequency at which enemy gangs attack your turf is toned down.

Do you agree with these? Are they necessary or are you happy with a more “faithful” remaster? Please shout out any changes that you would like to see!

Edited by The Big Smoke
  • Like 3

NasranSalleh
3 hours ago, The Big Smoke said:

In anticipation for GTA Definitive Edition, this is my ultimate wish list for enhancements beyond the obvious graphics and performance. I'm adding features that I feel would not break the original design of the games. In fact, I believe some of these would have made it into the games if the PS2 was capable of them in 2001-2004 and Rockstar developed the trilogy more cohesively. I also realize many will be picking up the games for the first time and will not be as forgiving as us franchise veterans. That’s why I propose some quality of life improvements. 

Multiple games 

• Aiming system is unified between all 3 games. Lock-on is closest to SA, with the color of the crosshair representing the enemy’s health. You can also free aim all weapons, without being forced into first-person view for guns like the M16. 

• Longer missions have checkpoints. This will especially help in missions with long car rides.

• Improved friendly AI, where allies can follow you anywhere. No more “You left [ally] behind. Come back and get him.” 

• Add a IV/V map and GPS, where you can add waypoints and plot the fastest route. Discovered collectibles can be toggled on/off. In VC and SA, owned businesses display how much money can be picked up.
  • Expand first person camera from III and VC to a full FPS mode in all 3 games. You can now complete the entire trilogy in first person. 

• Returning from VCS, is the ability to purchase your guns back from the hospital or police station for a flat fee. 

• Completing all story missions allows you to replay any of them from your safe house. 

• Add a V-style video editor, where players can make their own short films and upload them. Player and character models from the 3 games can be mixed and matched. 

• An editor lets you drop down props from each game and create scripts to make fun and challenging missions that other players can download and try. Think: Super Mario Maker, GTA style.

• Toggle in the menu between the classic and enhanced graphics, a feature first seen in Halo: Anniversary. Since the old games were removed from stores, let purists enjoy the classics at a locked 60 FPS. 

• 100% checklist is built into the menu that updates automatically as you complete it. 

• This one is controversial but necessary. Water in III and VC is no longer a death trap. Because those cities were not designed for swimming, you will automatically fast travel to shore when falling in the water. 

• Add climbing to III and VC to eliminate the frustration of jumping over small barriers. 

• Add the ability to move while crouching and rolling from SA to III and VC.

• Remove loading between islands in III and VC. Remove the loading during interiors by making it seamless, like in IV/V. 

GTA III

• Add poppable tires.

• Add bailing out of moving vehicles.

• Add breakable windshields. 

• Make the Mafia less aggressive after Sayonara Salvatore. Remove their shotguns. Hostile gangs have to get a good look at you before attacking.

• Change the generic helicopter model to the Maverick/Police Maverick from VC/SA.

• Prevents you from completing Waka-Gashira Wipeout! prior to Kenji’s missions, thus locking unsuspecting players out of 100% completion,

GTA VC

• Bring back the Tear Gas weapon from the PS2 version of VC. This was removed due to FPS drops, not an issue on modern systems.

GTA SA

• The frequency at which enemy gangs attack your turf is toned down.

Do you agree with these? Are they necessary or are you happy with a more “faithful” remaster? Please shout out any changes that you would like to see!

I think these are great! I hope the last wish comes true for GTA 3. Kenji's missions can be fun at times. The first one, especially.
I hope we can change to other outfits in III, though.

The Big Smoke
6 hours ago, NasranSalleh said:

I think these are great! I hope the last wish comes true for GTA 3. Kenji's missions can be fun at times. The first one, especially.
I hope we can change to other outfits in III, though.

Thanks! This mostly came from my disappointment that the supposedly “definitive edition” is just a graphical update. There are some serious problems with the older games, once you take off the rose tinted glasses. 

Arguably an equally iconic series, Halo, has the Master Chief Collection, which is a labor of love, and the new trilogy seems to just be a minimal effort.

• Like 1

NasranSalleh
17 hours ago, The Big Smoke said:

Thanks! This mostly came from my disappointment that the supposedly “definitive edition” is just a graphical update. There are some serious problems with the older games, once you take off the rose tinted glasses. 

Arguably an equally iconic series, Halo, has the Master Chief Collection, which is a labor of love, and the new trilogy seems to just be a minimal effort.

There are issues indeed.
If I were to play the original releases of the Trilogy games, with no mods or unofficial fixes, then it's gonna be a bit messy.

I sincerely hope that there are some new features added. Perhaps even new music, but I would love to hear especially the GTA 3 original soundtrack. I think that won't go away anytime soon.

Monday-Nitro

The one you posted for 3:

is one I really want. I remember traveling around the maps becomes a nightmare after a certain point. Just trying to do things you get shot at by seemingly everyone. I remember as a kid I had the safe zones where there was no gangs memorised just so I could drive around and play in peace.

One I would like for all 3 is being able to flip the cars back around the right way like in GTA 5. Too many missions and things I lost because its so easy to end up upside down. I love this feature in 5

good look a

• Like 2

The Big Smoke

One thing that completely gutted me is that Rockstar erased the moddable PC versions of the trilogy and didn’t offer anything in return.

Since 3/VC/SA will be a single-disc release for the first time, I’d like a creation mode that lets players make their own mods mixing assets from all 3 games.

A stupid example: Custom mission where where Claude, Tommy, and CJ must defend Grove Street from SPANKed up madmen from III’s mission Kingdom Come.

Or a race between 3 versions of the Infernus: the 80s, 90s, and 2001 variant through the streets of Vice City.

This effort would go a long be a way for Rockstar to make up for killing fan favorite mods. And introduce the concept to console players. Mods are an inseparable part of GTA history, they need to acknowledge that.