4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

San Andreas Definitive Edition Analysis & Comparisons Topic

Spider-Vice

futureAllrounder
35 minutes ago, MrMadHat said:

Man I hope CJ's eye color can be made darker using a mod. 

CJ's eyes look weird indeed

hase_madzijaa

Just wondering how other characters will look like, like Woozie, Truth, Toreno, and i wonder how did they fix Pulaski face.. 🤣

Edited by hase_madzijaa

293518_738026
15 hours ago, jevolutionCL said:

It is remastered, not remake.
Most expected two or three pops of color

Yeah, it's not the first time you saying this. So what?

First, there is a very blurry line between "remaster" and "remake". People always call all those rereleased games names (remaster/remake/rehydrated/definitive/bla-bla-bla) - that's just a marketing term (For example, take a look at COD MW 1/2 Remastered - the publisher Activision calls those remasters, despite the fact that those games have most of their assets redone). What matters is the final result, how it looks in this day and age, how it compares to the original.

But still, the term remaster came to the game industry from music and cinema and by that standart a remastered game should just run on a higher resolution or have some upscaled textures. And that's all. That's why I say that the line is really blurred - there's no specific standart that applies to rereleased games. (Sorry for OT)

What we see here? New lighting, new shaders, (some) new models, the game was moved to a different engine, ffs, and you still call it a "remaster". Why? Where you even took this info? R* never explicitly calls the trilogy a remaster. I'd say, because of what was changed, it would more qualify as a remake, not remaster.

And he's mostly right, Grove Street Games (aka our favorite War Drum Studios) who developing this "The Trilogy The Definitive Edition" could've take a bit more effort with character models (Cross-posting here a bit, but Avery Carrington, Joey and Misty really look horrendous and need updated models, not just textures; Clause looks like a sad puppy 😁 and Tommy just doesn't look like himself - completely different guy (his cutscene model is a really good reference after all)), and overall atmosphere/timecycles (Imo, original SA PS2 look (with it's really saturated orange sunsets, purple/green/blue nights, pink sunrises) was a great artistic choice and, if done right, would really look great here. Instead it's just kinda looks a bit bland (Shot with CJ on a boat overlooking Gant Bridge, Shot of the "Big Smoke Order" cutscene)  and somewhat reminds of GTA SA Mobile timecycle.

12 hours ago, BS_BlackScout said:

Grass on the sidewalk in SA:
vsZed4S.png

GTA V tree?

GeZvS7f.png

Vase inside a building

ZowK1em.png

Awesome finds, Blackscout! I wonder if some of the shots are from older builds hence the grass placed in some areas, really confusing lol

• Like 2

Yes, for some reason Rockstar decided that Taxis shouldn't receive any details. 

Just now, Americana said:

Yes, for some reason Rockstar decided that Taxis shouldn't receive any details. 

They didn't do it for the VC Taxi either.

Unpopular Opinion, but this remaster is not good, its insane that this is what Rockstar brings out nowdays seeing as those are the devs who brought out GTA V and RDR2. The Graphical Improvements are very unbalanced and some areas look very flat. They seemed to just use nearly Unreals full potential without any thoughts behind it, making a weird looking, render, modded looking artstyle.

Many Shading Issues like you can clearly see on the Vinewood Sign:

https://imgur.com/Za5Gv51

Or that Building in VC where you can see the triangles due to faulty normals:
https://imgur.com/YEWvBWq

GTA 3 subway weirdly has white and red lights at the front and the back, even tho at the back it should be only red and infront only white

https://imgur.com/cSvPYr3

No Terrain blending

https://imgur.com/RgDpo9s

Character models have badly upscaled textures and the artstyle again is weird.

etc..

I am happy that this remaster is happening, but is this what we can really expect from Rockstar nowdays, having such a overall faulty product? Of course the graphical improvements Unreal Provides are good, its Unreal. But it seems like the stuff the Studio was responsible to do, they failed. Of course stuff like Interior mapping are one of the nice additions, but again, its one of Unreals easy accessible techs, which are really not that impressive as every student can utilize these improvements. Which of course doesnt exactly explain why its bad, but its not as impressive people might think it is.

Yea its an old game, but that doesnt excuse the poor design choices and artstyle, neitherless the bugs that was shown. I hope that all this gets resolved in future updates if that studio really cares about the Product

LittleBlueTroll

One thing I will be avoiding is the waypoint system. 

At my peak of playing San Andreas, I could drive to almost anywhere on the map without any aid (not that the game had much aid in terms of GPS)

I want that feeling back. 

Need to drive from Grove Street to Wheel Arch Angels? No problem, let's roll! 

I'm so excited to relive my 2004 self. 

SIG-2.jpg

3 hours ago, Krox said:

Unpopular Opinion, but this remaster is not good, its insane that this is what Rockstar brings out nowdays seeing as those are the devs who brought out GTA V and RDR2. The Graphical Improvements are very unbalanced and some areas look very flat. They seemed to just use nearly Unreals full potential without any thoughts behind it, making a weird looking, render, modded looking artstyle.

GTA 3 subway weirdly has white and red lights at the front and the back, even tho at the back it should be only red and infront only white

No Terrain blending

etc..

I am happy that this remaster is happening, but is this what we can really expect from Rockstar nowdays, having such a overall faulty product? Of course the graphical improvements Unreal Provides are good, its Unreal. But it seems like the stuff the Studio was responsible to do, they failed. Of course stuff like Interior mapping are one of the nice additions, but again, its one of Unreals easy accessible techs, which are really not that impressive as every student can utilize these improvements. Which of course doesnt exactly explain why its bad, but its not as impressive people might think it is.

Yea its an old game, but that doesnt excuse the poor design choices and artstyle, neitherless the bugs that was shown. I hope that all this gets resolved in future updates if that studio really cares about the Product

That train looks like it's going to derail. I can't unsee it now.

Edited by ChubbyB0b

hase_madzijaa
9 minutes ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

At my peak of playing San Andreas, I could drive to almost anywhere on the map without any aid (not that the game had much aid in terms of GPS)

It's easy for us who grow up with this game.. We know every corner of the game..

GPS is for new players, for new generation, and it's cool addition, why not 😄 

• Like 2
  • Best Bru 1

I'm still cautiously optimistic on these, but those are correct observations. 

The VC grass shot caught me on the first watch, but there are many things like the shading issues that hopefully, at the very least, are fixed or ignorable LOD issues on, say, low-end PC's or the Switch versions.

But both sets of lights being on with the train? Someone forgot their morning coffee putting that in 😆

1 hour ago, Krox said:

No Terrain blending

PhilPerlmutter

The thing that made me very sceptical are the character models / textures. I mean honestly they look kind of like human wax models....

• Like 4

here is hope there is a optional function to play as the old classic character models (like in crash bandicoot remaster)

also keep in mind that the trailer may not show the full final product, im sure there are some parts from earlier development stages

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

GTA SA's roads are too straightforward, unlike GTA V's where you could end up in a loop if you took the wrong path in the freeway.

2 hours ago, ChubbyB0b said:

That train looks like is't going to derail. I can't unsee it now.

It does derail though. Remaster!

It seems like GTA SA is using AI for the textures upgrades. You can see how Carl's and others looks to similar to the OG release.

6df1f432de5b7eb047dd.jpg

I think this is because SA has too many clothes and it was easier to do rather than re-making all the outfits.

6 minutes ago, zetarck said:

It seems like GTA SA is using AI for the textures upgrades. You can see how Carl's and others looks to similar to the OG release.

6df1f432de5b7eb047dd.jpg

I think this is because SA has too many clothes and it was easier to do rather than re-making all the outfits.

It's a mixture of remake and upscaling using AI. Because Sweet's jeans for example aren't the same anymore because that one was scuffed as sh#t

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zetarck said:

6df1f432de5b7eb047dd.jpg

cIUBWfH.png

The textures overall are definitely upgraded quite a bit!

Midnight Hitman

all in all i have to say, i think it looks decent. thats actually more than i've expected. and i think the game in motion will actually look better than in screenshots.

i just hope that they didn't increas the draw distance too much. especially SA lives from the "living in a state" illusion. I don't want to see the Los Santos beach from the highway above Angel Pine.

and i can't wait to explore shady creek and back o beyond with new details and graphics.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Midnight Hitman said:

all in all i have to say, i think it looks decent. thats actually more than i've expected. and i think the game in motion will actually look better than in screenshots.

i just hope that they didn't increas the draw distance too much. especially SA lives from the "living in a state" illusion. I don't want to see the Los Santos beach from the highway above Angel Pine.

and i can't wait to explore shady creek and back o beyond with new details and graphics.

yUaR6SP.png

Yep, look at the lighting effects and new GTA V trees. These alone make the Grove street area look good.

Many ENB mods failed to make the game look much better at night but with these headlights reflecting on the houses in such a way, it looks decent.

1 minute ago, Havi said:

GTA V trees are well fit in the world of Los Santos. Good looking trees too

Los Santos trees look good in Los Santos, okay! :jkek:

1 minute ago, SquoniX said:

Los Santos trees look good in Los Santos, okay! :jkek:

Yeah, you don't like them?

Just now, Havi said:

Yeah, you don't like them?

Haha, I agree, just found it funny because I keep forgetting that GTA V is also Los Santos. GTASA and GTA V, I keep separating them.

Rockstar has made some small changes which may look small but add up to the feeling of a more lively city -

Before:

Yp6Zmod.png

After:

QLDMOtW.png

Changes:

• The blurry orange haze has been removed, the skybox will give off a more orange colour now instead
  • New trees
  • More trees
  • Lights now have a more bloom effect even from far away
  • Lights are now round instead of polygonal
  • Extra lights on buildings 
  • More draw distance
  • Roofs of most buildings changed to a more suitable colour like white and grey

Edited by SquoniX

Midnight Hitman

Yeah, they have actually ADDED trees and plants instead of touching up the existing ones, I didn't expect that. I'm even more excited to see the forest areas in SA now.

At the moment it seems like this version of SA's map will outclass GTA V's map even more.

Edited by Midnight Hitman