3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

San Andreas Definitive Edition Analysis & Comparisons Topic

Spider-Vice

1 minute ago, suicidehummer said:

The complaints about increased draw distance make no sense. From ground level, you can't see the horizon most of the time anyway, so how would it affect the sense of scale? You're looking at Chiliad in that pic from an aerial perspective.

I can tell you've never played SA with a draw distance mod before. If it's high enough, you can see Los Santos from the ground level of Las Venturas, and you don't even have to increase it that much to get that effect since they're pretty close to begin with. Seeing it THIS high means you will most likely be able to see most of the map from wherever you are, basically breaking the immersion that the game is supposed to take place in an entire state and ruining sense of scale. It's bad.

Midnight Hitman

Yeah hopefully it was just the screenshot, but they'ven been saying they've increased draw distance.

Don't know how they would think that this is a good idea. Fixing instantly spawning trees and assets, okay, but increasing the draw distance so that you can see across the map - in a game that's meant to be set in a state. Damn.

• Like 3

MrGTAmodsgerman

They could add some V like smog all around the cities and you won't notice them so much.

gtafive_screenshot-1_14-november-2012.jp

They already added this light pollution effect. I don't see any reason why they shouln't add make city smog too. If you remove the smog in GTA V, then you will also get less the immersion of that big city. It let you look from LS to mount chilliad and such.

CynicalMexican
8 minutes ago, MrGTAmodsgerman said:

They could add some V like smog all around the cities and you won't notice them so much.

gtafive_screenshot-1_14-november-2012.jp

They already added this light pollution effect. I don't see any reason why they shouln't add make city smog too. If you remove the smog in GTA V, then you will also get less the immersion of that big city. It let you look from LS to mount chilliad and such.

Given that the game takes place in early 1990s Los Angeles, and that the original SA had a smog weather effect, I would be shocked if the game didn't have a smog filter.

• Like 1

MrGTAmodsgerman
2 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

Given that the game takes place in early 1990s Los Angeles, and that the original SA had a smog weather effect, I would be shocked if the game didn't have a smog filter.

The could also use other simple tricks. In GTA V you can apply specific graphical effects to a specific area. You could for ex. reduce the draw distance at specific spots/areas in the map to give the immersion of a bigger map.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SquoniX said:

CJ and Ryder at Grove Street comparison:

Before: 

ty8EjbV.png

After:

NvdsVBj.png

NGL I f*cking hate this screenshot

13 hours ago, SweetFlexZ said:

I play GTA since Vice City and that doesn't change the fact the we (the "og's") got the hability to say if something is worth the money or not, I bought the trilogy yesterday and already I feel like I'm stupid because they haven't even showed us a gameplay.

Well thats a thing tho. I am also dissapointed they didn't show us sh*t except some more screenshots. Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Overall disappointed about the high draw distance, especially seeing Mt Chilliad from LS. Kinda scared that the map's gonna look pretty small in this version. Also annoyed by Ryder "holding" the bat. However, I do enjoy the look of the lighting and overall the updated graphics, especially the new foliage. 

ROCKSTAR MANIC

Im honestly not too pleased with the draw distance in any of the games. Were gonna be able to see all of Bone county when were in blueberry or the outskirts of LV. I really hope we have our purples, pinks, light blues and such in VC and the amazing purple in SA. The skybox should be improved hopefully it also gave the games an essence.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, LunaticMoose said:

Overall disappointed about the high draw distance, especially seeing Mt Chilliad from LS. Kinda scared that the map's gonna look pretty small in this version. Also annoyed by Ryder "holding" the bat. However, I do enjoy the look of the lighting and overall the updated graphics, especially the new foliage. 

I think that was just the screenshot and a mistake by the one taking the screenshots. I think the facial expressions are broken.

BS_BlackScout

How many of you did actually focus on how Ryder held his bat on the original? 

On Beat Down at B-Dup most of the mission you're watching cutscenes or driving to the destination. Ryder is awful at following CJ and you need to shoot (if you have a gun) or punch/hit the drug dealer/Ballas with the bat. Most of the time you'll be focused on the cutscenes, the characters, the combat and driving. 

I AM NOT DOWNPLAYING THE FACT THAT THE ANIMATION ISN'T PERFECT. 

But consider how you'll barely pay attention to it and compare it to Big Smoke who now actually holds the basketball 🏀 which is much more visible and jarring in comparison to the OG and you'll understand. 

_

Meanwhile barely anyone talks about the broken UV Mapping on CJs house, right window. It's totally screwed up and VERY EASY to spot, many times. 

Edited by BS_BlackScout
  • Like 4

cuban gang member

Why you're arguing about the draw distance? :kekw:  In all of the open world games these days you van see everywhere from a top of the tower.

• Like 3

CynicalMexican
32 minutes ago, cuban gang member said:

Why you're arguing about the draw distance? :kekw:  In all of the open world games these days you van see everywhere from a top of the tower.

Even in RDR2, some of the draw distance in that game was immersion breaking lol.

I don't remember the original game looking so colorful as shown on the "original" screenshots here. It was distinctly gray after Vice City. You have heavy mods: extreme draw distance, not a single see-through tree.

The reissue often looks like a plastic painting, especially the scene with Carl and Ryder near their homes, and there is oil on asphalt.

1 minute ago, j7n said:

I don't remember the original game looking so colorful as shown on the "original" screenshots here. It was distinctly gray after Vice City. You have heavy mods: extreme draw distance, not a single see-through tree.

The reissue often looks like a plastic painting, especially the scene with Carl and Ryder near their homes, and there is oil on asphalt.

Could be the difference between the PC and PS 2 versions.

PC looked fine but PS 2 was a blurry mess.

CynicalMexican
1 minute ago, j7n said:

Oh wow I'm not the only one who thought this. There was something toned down about the colors of San Andreas; probably the original PS2 version alongside the TVs at the time, but I distinctly remember San Andreas having a sort of "grey" filter. I think it was meant to emulate the early 1990s video quality.

This is just a random example. GTA Vice City had something similar on the console versions.

CynicalMexican
9 hours ago, (Vip)Met said:

3a105adc9af0528f4b310a8ee84129bf.jpg1286900e5f11e6b23fdfde23e81e28ab.png

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif 

This sh*tpost is more lazy than GSG's attempts to fix the texture mapping in the remasters :cringekek:

2 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

This sh*tpost is more lazy than GSG's attempts to fix the texture mapping in the remasters :cringekek:

Technically, you're saying that GSG's attempts are less lazy... :jkek:

• KEKW 2

To be honest, I didn't really have that much problem when I modded my GTA SA's Draw Distance. It was awesome seeing Mt. Chiliad from the Maze Bank Tower.

Although, I couldn't remember how the Draw Distance affected me in the countryside. But, to me it wasn't a big deal.

1 minute ago, DODI3OG said:

To be honest, I didn't really have that much problem when I modded my GTA SA's Draw Distance. It was awesome seeing Mt. Chiliad from the Maze Bank Tower.

Although, I couldn't remember how the Draw Distance affected me in the countryside. But, to me it wasn't a big deal.

I think they will use a mixture of light pollution and blur even with a higher draw distance to mask far-off areas. 

• Like 2

Just now, SquoniX said:

I think they will use a mixture of light pollution and blur even with a higher draw distance to mask far-off areas. 

Light pollution is a great solution. LS is quite a big city

• Like 2

Just now, CHER0KEE said:

Light pollution is a great solution. LS is quite a big city

They're already doing it if you view the skyline screenshots, it looks amazing. Makes the city feel more alive. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SquoniX said:

They're already doing it if you view the skyline screenshots, it looks amazing. Makes the city feel more alive. 

Yep

8 minutes ago, SquoniX said:

Light pollution would work well at night to mask the draw distance a bit. They could also just use really simple and smaller LODs from afar behind smog to make it seem like the other cities are in the area, albeit far far away.

44 minutes ago, DODI3OG said:

Light pollution would work well at night to mask the draw distance a bit. They could also just use really simple and smaller LODs from afar behind smog to make it seem like the other cities are in the area, albeit far far away.

cool

It's hard to put in words, just how uninspired a mere "maxing" of draw distance would be... Am I to believe that R* should deem the above acceptable?

I probably shouldn't be surprised, using "enhanced shadows" and "better reflections" as examples of "improved lighting", in this day and age, is pretty ballsy, still...

Thinking up different "fog of war / draw distance" - factors, depending on the players location in-game, doesn't take a f*cking galaxy brain:

LS= Smog which distorts colors and gives the environment a hazy look, eventually "eating up" everything past a certain point in the skyline. Heat haze during dawn / dusk (and hot days).

countryside= Clear skies, but exaggerated horizon / curvature, very gradually obscuring the game world.

SF= Fog creeping in from the pacific, bottom heavy, large structures "rising" from the mist.

desert= "literally just dust and heat haze".

LV=A mixture of heavy light pollution and dust, drawing your eyes into a convoluted spectacle of decadent billboards and signs.

And that isn't even going into basic - ass sh*t like color grading.

Edited by AmigaMix
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AmigaMix said:

It's hard to put in words, just how uninspired a mere "maxing" of draw distance would be... Am I to believe that R* should deem the above acceptable?

I probably shouldn't be surprised, using "enhanced shadows" and "better reflections" as examples of "improved lighting", in this day and age, is pretty ballsy, still...

Thinking up different "fog of war / draw distance" - factors, depending on the players location in-game, doesn't take a f*cking galaxy brain:

LS= Smog wich distorts colors and gives the environment a hazy look, eventually "eating up" everything past a certain point in the skyline. Heat haze during dawn / dusk (and hot days).

countryside= Clear skies, but exaggerated horizon / curvature, very gradually obscuring the game world.

SF= Fog creeping in from the pacific, bottom heavy, large structures "rising" from the mist.

LV=A mixture of heavy light pollution and dust, drawing your eyes into a convoluted spectacle of decadent billboards and signs.

well well lets hope

5 minutes ago, AmigaMix said:

LS= Smog wich distorts colors and gives the environment a hazy look, eventually "eating up" everything past a certain point in the skyline. Heat haze during dawn / dusk (and hot days).

This has to be the best description of this masking of far-off items that I wanted to use. 

Imagine getting close to the beach near the SF-LS border and you still see Chilliad but only the tip appearing out of clouds and fog. Would look so cool.