1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is there a way to renew expired music licenses ?

cuban gang member

cuban gang member

I don't know a thing about copyright law. Is this possible for Rockstar to bring back removed songs in definitive edition? 

I love to hear Billie Jean when  I enter faggio

It's not so much a question of "is there a way?", and more of a "how much money would it cost?".

Optimistically I'd love to think they would renew some of the removed music. But when it comes to big-name artists (especially Michael Jackson), I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 3

There is an achievement for listening to all the radios so it is likely that they will renew the licenses

If we could at least still be allowed to mod tracks in under certain stations that would be good enough. That way they're not endorsing it, just allowing it

For the most part, yes, you can just throw money at it and regain the license. There are, however, some musicians or more often their estates that simply won't give you the license, no matter how much money you throw at it. Considering the age of the game and when they are set, many of the songs will have changed copyright holders, and new copyright holders means new rules as to how and where you're allowed to use the music and how much a license costs and how long it lasts.

15 hours ago, IsaacDK503 said:

There is an achievement for listening to all the radios so it is likely that they will renew the licenses

That doesn't mean they will renew liscenses

GiveMeLiberty78
On 10/16/2021 at 2:57 PM, cuban gang member said:

I don't know a thing about copyright law. Is this possible for Rockstar to bring back removed songs in definitive edition? 

Good question, and as @HOW'S ANNIE? said, how cost effective would it be?

Personally, I would like the remastered GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas to have all of their original radio stations (e.g., music and adverts) because I think that they were all appropriate to those eras, and also because when I think back/get nostalgic, those are the songs and adverts that I remember.

For example, in Vice City can you imagine walking into the Malibu and not hearing the Pointer Sisters' 'Automatic' playing, or going into Pole Position and not hearing Animotion's 'Obsession' playing? Perhaps I am just getting old, and perhaps new or even returning players will care less than me, but for me removing old music and/or adding new music just won't 'feel' the same. But maybe that's the point of remasters.

It's interesting to read many forum posts over the years, and to realise that the music and adverts played big roles in the greatness of these games. I guess that it's true what they say, that music is a lot like smell - it's a big involuntary trigger of memories. What other music memories do players have from GTA 3, Vice City, or San Andreas? I wonder.

Edited by GiveMeLiberty78
  • Like 3

That classic Vice City first mission wouldn't be the same without Billie Jean. I hope they get all the licenses but i'm not getting my hopes up, especially when it comes to big artists like Michael Jackson

• Like 3

CynicalMexican

I'm sure R* has a legal department that keeps track of crap like this.

Vladivostok FM got butchered hard probably because of issues that got lost in translation. 

Ultimately, it's on them, not us. Given that the Steam version of GTA Vice City had its soundtrack there, they probably can still use the songs.

• Like 1

Sam Houser better still have all the old contacts of his when he worked in the music industry would make sh*t easier when all the record label people are his friends. I think they’ll call up all the major labels that own the rights and try to work out a deal but for the estates and individual artists who own their own music like Michael Jackson that becomes much much more difficult especially since some of them have died.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2

The way the Music Industry treats the games industry has always been terrible, 10 year contracts that, when they run out will more often than not result in games just being pulled from retailers because it's not worth the expense to renew. (it's why GTA IV was unavailable for a time and why the original Mafia game has no music) Like, can you imagine if, 10 years after release the record label said "Okay, you have to renegotiate for the music in Dirty Dancing" Or Goodfellas. Contract BS is exactly the reason why Rockstar has created a Record Label, either to sign their own artists, or to make contract negotiations on more equal footing.

Edited by wrightguy0

it has, but it must be expensive, imagine the price of michael jackson copyrights for example, something of millions and millions of dollars.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, cuban gang member said:

Me too, but I got some insight on just how expensive it is to License MJ's catalogue  since his passing...

A friend of a friend wanted to use 10 seconds of Billie Jean for an advertisement, the Label wanted $300,000 for those 10 seconds, I can only assume the cost to re-license the song is prohibitively expensive. Though, again i do not understand why music licenses for games can expire but movies and TV seem to have them in perpetuity, at least i've never heard of a movie being pulled from shelves because of an expired license

1 hour ago, wrightguy0 said:

Me too, but I got some insight on just how expensive it is to License MJ's catalogue  since his passing...

A friend of a friend wanted to use 10 seconds of Billie Jean for an advertisement, the Label wanted $300,000 for those 10 seconds, I can only assume the cost to re-license the song is prohibitively expensive. Though, again i do not understand why music licenses for games can expire but movies and TV seem to have them in perpetuity, at least i've never heard of a movie being pulled from shelves because of an expired license

Maybe expiring licenses don't affect physical copies already printed while the license was still in action?

Cutter De Blanc
1 hour ago, wrightguy0 said:

There are some TV show episodes you cant watch on like Hulu because of music licensing issues. I know Taxi and Wings, a couple of older sitcoms, are both affected, I'm sure there's more

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, wrightguy0 said:

But this is rockstar, they have a lot of money, I don't think that it would be much of a problem for them to pay for some songs and more people would be happy and not have to wait for modders to release a mod that restores all the deleted music (disabled music :p)

On 11/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, wrightguy0 said:

Though, again i do not understand why music licenses for games can expire but movies and TV seem to have them in perpetuity, at least i've never heard of a movie being pulled from shelves because of an expired license

It’s happened with a few rereleases and things on streaming.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

There are some TV show episodes you cant watch on like Hulu because of music licensing issues. I know Taxi and Wings, a couple of older sitcoms, are both affected, I'm sure there's more

and Miami Vice. You can’t watch Evan online because of the music.

• Like 1

I started to think it's the record companies giving sh*t to the Rockstar. They probably rejecting Rockstar regardless of money?

On 11/20/2021 at 4:47 AM, BlackShadowX said:

I started to think it's the record companies giving sh*t to the Rockstar. They probably rejecting Rockstar regardless of money?

This is also one of the Problems that I do believe is real. the Music Industry is the oldest of the organized entertainment industries, Hollywood the most Powerful. both industries spent the first half of the 20th century writing copyright laws to their advantage and legally, both punch in the same weight class. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Music executives do look down on the gaming industry simply because they still think of games in terms of tetris and pong. of course they see the money to be made, but there's nothing that they deem worthy of respect.

hence the ridiculously unfavorable terms in regards to games.

only if you buy new licenses from music owners/companies which rocskstar never did and will do instead they remove good songs -_-

• 1 month later...
MeeMeeCandy777
On 11/17/2021 at 10:57 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

I found out that some Everybody Hates Chris episodes were edited due to that too. For example, I found out that in Everybody Hates Gout, they cut out some references of The Young and the Restless, including one scene where Juilus and the woman were watching the episode of the show. And another example is that they cut out the Walker listening part in Everybody Hates Christmas episode. It broke my heart seeing those episodes getting edited and I was a huge fan of the show as well since it was first released. Luckily, the rest, such as Everybody Hates DJ, didn't received any edits. To this day, I am hoping they got a DVD release or something like that.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, cuban gang member said:

I would like to pay attention to these two tweets a user responded to someone who complained about that as well: https://twitter.com/RohanPaini/status/1466250948590784523?s=20 and https://twitter.com/RohanPaini/status/1466375428562571267?s=20 .

MerclessNoble7
On 10/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, IsaacDK503 said:

It doesn't necessarily mean that they'll add back all the cut songs in the game but rather you listen to all the songs in the updated radio stations.

• Like 1