1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why does Francis McReary look like Niko's twin?

Smash Bandicoot

Smash Bandicoot

Seriously, does Rockstar have a reason for doing this? in one of the game arts, Francis looks entirely different, so what was Rockstar's reason for reusing Niko's model?

Because Francis is actually an older Niko from an alternate timeline where he choose to be a police officer. Why do you think that Francis keep saying that Niko and him are the same?

Connect the dots.

billiejoearmstrong8

More like why does every male character in the game look like Niko's twin lol. It's something to do with how they designed the character models for the game - I guess they had a basic model for men and a basic model for women, and then just altered/built on it to make different characters. But some similarity remains between them all - all the men have a certain look including for example a huge nose and all the women have a certain look including for example a big round face. Francis just happens to have even more similarity to Niko than some. It's because of design/graphics limitations of the time. Maybe slightly because of artistic choices to give the characters a very slightly exaggerated/cariacature look as well.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 2

30 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

More like why does every male character in the game look like Niko's twin lol. 

Because Niko is peak male performance. All male (and some females in GTAO) are striving towards this ideal model and derive their masculinity from Niko. Think! Why do most people pick Niko as their parent in GTAO during character creation?

"Not complex, not difficult, just join the dots."    -John Smith from Conspire radio show.

Jokes aside, Smash isn't wrong. Just look how Francis looks like with Niko's texture plastered over him. He's a lot more similar looking to Niko than other characters.

unknown.png

slimeball supreme
On 9/12/2021 at 4:25 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Maybe slightly because of artistic choices to give the characters a very slightly exaggerated/cariacature look as well.

If you peep the game's concept art (not the promo sh*t, from the artbook) you immediately realize this was a deliberate choice. There's a subtle stylization with every central character and also most peds

KWSLr6B.jpeg

V9bxOHS.jpeg

Oye5RZb.jpeg

They used photoscans for textures and modeling but worked backwards from caricature art (some can be seen ingame at literal caricature art stands and the MeTV building's signage). I think the intended result was that the people in the game end up looking literally like caricatures come to life. Most people didn't really pick up on that intent though so usually the takeaway is "everyone has a big f*cking nose"

rh498Js.png

billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, slimeball supreme said:

If you peep the game's concept art (not the promo sh*t, from the artbook) you immediately realize this was a deliberate choice. There's a subtle stylization with every central character and also most peds

They used photoscans for textures and modeling but worked backwards from caricature art (some can be seen ingame at literal caricature art stands and the MeTV building's signage). I think the intended result was that the people in the game end up looking literally like caricatures come to life. Most people didn't really pick up on that intent though so usually the takeaway is "everyone has a big f*cking nose"

Wow I never saw this, interesting! I do like the slightly stylised look they went for (and the overall look of the game holds up much better over time because they did that imo). But they probably could've varied the faces a bit more, because people aren't wrong when they say the big nose thing haha

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 4

universetwisters

>Almost everyone in IV is an edited Niko

Darko is literally the worst offender. Even if it's deliberate, it looks lazy af

1 hour ago, universetwisters said:

Darko is literally the worst offender. Even if it's deliberate, it looks lazy af

Well, not almost everyone, but certainly a considerable amount of characters. 

9 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Sorry but I'd have to say Francis is the worst offender. He's literally a slightly more slender Niko with a higher hairdo. Darko's model is fairly different, he has a different eye and mouth shape, the head is also different. Moreover, the texture mapping is flipped. I'm p sure they wanted to make a character SIMILAR to Niko, but not identical. My OC in my profile picture actually uses Darko's head model with a new texture and he doesn't look very similar to Niko lel. While Francis is literally just a slight edit of Niko.

billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Jeansowaty said:

Sorry but I'd have to say Francis is the worst offender. He's literally a slightly more slender Niko with a higher hairdo. Darko's model is fairly different, he has a different eye and mouth shape, the head is also different. Moreover, the texture mapping is flipped. I'm p sure they wanted to make a character SIMILAR to Niko, but not identical. My OC in my profile picture actually uses Darko's head model with a new texture and he doesn't look very similar to Niko lel. While Francis is literally just a slight edit of Niko.

Francis has a moustache! Totally different :D 

I think the male character look is better than the female character look though. A big round face for everyone.

13 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Darko looking just like Niko seems like a specific artistic choice, emphasizing how they're not exactly very different and all that jazz.

• Like 7

MiamiViceCity1986
1 hour ago, Carbonox said:

Darko looking just like Niko seems like a specific artistic choice, emphasizing how they're not exactly very different and all that jazz.

Yeah. The intention is pretty obvious.

I don’t think the confrontation would’ve had the same affect if Darko looked different. This is why I believe Darko as a character pretty much remained mysterious up until that point.

Niko got a glimpse of what he would become if he didn’t stop what he was doing. To be honest I thought Darko was Niko’s estranged brother or something because of how much he looked like Niko. Even their last names sound similar when spoken out loud.

A lot of thought went into Darko’s character in looks and what he was to Niko considering he only physically shows up one time. 

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
  • Like 4

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

Smash Bandicoot
On 9/13/2021 at 2:20 AM, Jeansowaty said:

Jokes aside, Smash isn't wrong. Just look how Francis looks like with Niko's texture plastered over him. He's a lot more similar looking to Niko than other characters.

unknown.png

Do the opposite. I wanna see Niko with Francis' textures

universetwisters
8 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

Not gonna lie I literally never noticed Francis looking like Niko until this thread.

That's because he wants to be like Niko, I mean, the guy can reload an M4 without removing the magazine, who wouldn't? heck, even Johnny and Luis were so amazed by this Slavic power, they adopted it as well. 

14 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I think the male character look is better than the female character look though. A big round face for everyone.

"The best parts of a woman are round."

--Lena Haak

(I agree. Eyeballs are amazing.)

• KEKW 3

On 9/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, universetwisters said:

Darko looks like Niko's retarded son that escaped the mental hospital :kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw:

• KEKW 4

Smash Bandicoot
9 hours ago, donnits said:

Screenshot_1.png

Solid Sniko

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 2