4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTANet Exclusive: Q&A with Rockstar Games

uNi

Timsalabimbo

They just released the worst (quality-wise) update they have ever done. Every single aspect of it has bugs. Some criticism would definitely have been justified.

20 hours ago, Kirsty said:

Feel free to suggest questions that you would personally ask Rockstar if you could, but keep expectations in check!

What's your thought/decision process for adding cars to GTAonline? Like, what influences your decision to add a certain car aside from the theme of the update?

Is it iconic cars? Highly requested cars? High profile cars with lots of buzz around them? Cult classics? Completely random?

For example, it took us about a year to get the new Corvette C8 (coquette D10) in GTA, 2 years to get the new Supra A90 (Jester RR), but 5 to get the Supra A80 (Jester Classic), & it took 7 long years for the mid-engined V8 Ferrari to finally arrive (Itali RSX).

We still don't iconic cars such as the original Honda NSX, Pagani Zonda or the classic Porsche 911s. What gives?

• Like 5

AntonGandonBF3

Wow! Had a nice reading. Thank you GTAForums and R* for this! I'm hoping there will follow more interactions with us fans!

• Like 3

FuturePastNow

I'm not surprised Non-Stop Pop is popular and, frankly, I'm surprised that they're surprised by this

.Sharingan

Third question was a bit of a waste imo.

Carla Rey
On 8/26/2021 at 2:23 AM, Taterman said:

Ummmm, they did an interview with the staff here. They are not answering random questions posted.

More like, There's avoiding the questions when it involves Niko Bellic, and his voice Actor Michael Hollick.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Exactly the point, thank you! :)

We have gotten exclusive screenshots for every GTA thus far, including GTA V, and its PS4/Xbox One and PC versions, it didn't stop in 2004. :p 

For GTA IV they sent us screenies and other goodies within several "Hidden Packages": https://gtanet.com/hidden-package/

GTA V: https://gtanet.com/exclusive-gta-v-screenshot/ | https://gtanet.com/gtanet-exclusive-screenshots-from-new-gen-gta-v/ | https://gtanet.com/gtanet-exclusive-pc-screenshot-from-rockstar/

I cant believe I cant remember seeing these, I must've been living under a rock, I was active at that time aswell. I only remember the 3D era ones because back in the day I used the main sites to access cheats and look for bigfoot locations

• YEE 1

Yellow Dog with Cone

This feels less like an actual Q&A and more like yet another PR mouthpiece, what a coincidence that the only questions answered were the ones that had to do with the latest update and Circoloco Records.

I'm not saying that you guys should go straight to "when will you nerf the Mk II" or whatever, but why not ask about stuff that actually matters?

I get that this is a GTA/R* fan forum and there will always be some obvious bias in favor of both the games and the company, but please please with a cherry on top, have some cojones for once and stop playing coy with Rockstar, no offense.

On 8/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, Claude_Lib said:

Did you ask them who came up with that stupid label name, Circoloco?

Founded in 1999, the Circoloco parties (also written as Circo Loco) first took place at DC10 in Ibiza.

Huh, so it wasn't Rockstar's idea for once.

Circoloco means crazy circus in Spanish, so there's that.

• Like 4

Claude_Lib

Sorry, didn't mean to offend the Spanish people, I just didn't think it was an actual word.

• Like 1

Geisterfaust
4 hours ago, Yellow Dog with Cone said:

I get that this is a GTA/R* fan forum and there will always be some obvious bias in favor of both the games and the company, but please please with a cherry on top, have some cojones for once and stop playing coy with Rockstar, no offense.

I really don't think that cojones here will get to anything but a non-starter QA session. R* just won't answer these questions and that drives me mad. On the other side, these community outreach style tricks are only beneficial to R's PR department. Neither users nor GTANet are getting anything meaningful from it. I see where are you coming from and I support it, but unless it's GTA VI R* could as well shut up. V/O is is over as a news-maker, there's nothing new about it.

P.S. just looking at the QA page I can see that mods have put more effort in the screens than R* in the answers. Text to picture ratio is literally 1/2 there, R's laziness is just breathtaking.

Edited by Geisterfaust
  • Like 1

Only 4 questions lol? Good read nonetheless. Thanks for sharing .

Shadowfennekin

Meh. Nothing new, whats the point?

9 hours ago, Yellow Dog with Cone said:

This feels less like an actual Q&A and more like yet another PR mouthpiece, what a coincidence that the only questions answered were the ones that had to do with the latest update and Circoloco Records.

I'm not saying that you guys should go straight to "when will you nerf the Mk II" or whatever, but why not ask about stuff that actually matters?

Circoloco means crazy circus in Spanish, so there's that.

How do you know GTAN didn't ask them other questions? They were probably told to ask another question or stick to the topic if they asked about something else. I mean... that's how it usually works 

Edited by Fidzy

Was a cool read, thanks for the QnA! Hope rockstar does more of these! 

MayoChiki
On 8/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, FuturePastNow said:

I'm not surprised Non-Stop Pop is popular

just a friendly reminder that non-stop pop is the default station for the broomstick lol

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

MayoChiki
On 8/26/2021 at 7:45 AM, Timsalabimbo said:

They just released the worst (quality-wise) update they have ever done. Every single aspect of it has bugs. Some criticism would definitely have been justified.

I mean, yeah? I get that R* reaching to the staff is a very big deal, but the whole thing feels like a "let's get them off our backs" kind of deal. The complaints people have with R*ckstar are not just a few considering it's not exclusive to the balance of GTAO so talking about what goes in their minds when choosing music is not the kind of thing I'd expect to be addressed. And of course, I don't blame the staff for the questions they chose because those were probably the only ones they wanted to answer but again, it doesn't feel like an honest Q&A more than a PR move.

It reminds me of the Simpsons scene with the Duff brevery

Spoiler

I don't wanna sound like a dick and downplay what the staff has done, though. I simply don't think we should celebrate R*ckstar once again ignoring issues

Geisterfaust
14 hours ago, MayoChiki said:

I mean, yeah? I get that R* reaching to the staff is a very big deal, but the whole thing feels like a "let's get them off our backs" kind of deal. The complaints people have with R*ckstar are not just a few considering it's not exclusive to the balance of GTAO so talking about what goes in their minds when choosing music is not the kind of thing I'd expect to be addressed.

Oh, I'm pretty sure they don't give a flying F about fans being on their backs, because these fans will line up to pay for the next game and the golden eggs from Online are still keeping them fed quite good. The real pressure should be from the investors,  but there are no grounds: their revenue from contracts with customers is growing since '19 (almost 30% increase) and that's their main profit line for now. Good thing is that console revenue seems to hit the top in 2020 and PC keeps growing, now attributing up to 1/3 of sales from 1/5 in 2018.

clinical oppression

I have all my music settings off since 2015. Up till then radio mirror park was my favorite station . Since 2017 non stop pop has been my favorite .

Kernel32

Would love to see an AMA someday.. Well you can always dream no?

suicidal_banana

Thx for doing this @uNi @Kirsty & @Spider-Vice ! i completely agree that its pretty cool to see this happen, even if it does look like R* avoided some of the questions that im sure you guys asked, its still good to see R* at least acknowledge GTAForums & GTANet as an important community, i feel like they have been neglecting to do so for a while & i truly hope this is the start of something where both parties communicate more & 'rub each others back' a bit (similar to how 'gta series videos' is just linked too from R* support & social channels etc these days, i feel like GTAF has earned the same exposure/deal)

However, i must highlight this one thing for a moment:

... and be sure to read on to the end for a little teaser of what's in store for GTA Online in 2021, and beyond...

please dont do that, you are perfectly aware of what we all want that little teaser/info to be, and it sure as hell isnt "there will be more (broken) giveaways in the future"

Carla Rey

Does Rockstar Games respond to Q&A's? Cuz I really want them to answer my question. 

lnterloper

This dude wants to speak to Rockstar

Spoiler

Edited by lnterloper
  • KEKW 3

Kesha_F1

And no one word about ban mods GTA or comment about it. I think what current QA is part of PR Tuners Los Santos. Typical Rockstar Games. >_>

• Like 1

The first question made me laugh.
"[...] how do you go about picking something new to introduce into the GTA world that will stick around forever?"

Anyone who knows anything about music in GTA knows that it DOESN'T stick around forever. They've removed music in pretty much all their games and GTA Online is no exception.

Rockstar says; "But we're not just trying to fill the stations with music people know and love" and yet they only add music that have grown a massive following in the millions and so they have to license which brings the issue of not being able to have music in GTA forever due to licensing. If they really wanted to put on some hidden gems like they claim they do they would put some 2016 Soundcloud era stuff.

Despite this Q&A, which was amazing of R* to take time for, my stance on R* has not changed. They still are the greedy company they have become due to GTA Online's profitability. With each new content update, the prices keep going up but the shark cards are the same. A standard car that releases now is more expensive than a supercar at the game's launch. You pay 100$ for 8mil GTA$ and you can barely do anything with that with the new content. Even though R* does add/change good stuff in terms of gameplay, it doesn't change the fact they want to milk GTA Online with their shark cards and have been doing that for Red Dead Online as well. I could go on and on but I'd essentially just be screaming in the void.

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Melojei said:

If they really wanted to put on some hidden gems like they claim they do they would put some 2016 Soundcloud era stuff.

So long as it's not that crappy mumble rap, go nuts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Melojei said:

Anyone who knows anything about music in GTA knows that it DOESN'T stick around forever. They've removed music in pretty much all their games and GTA Online is no exception.

You're still talking about it, so I guess it does. 

21 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

So long as it's not that crappy mumble rap, go nuts.

If you think that's the only thing that's on Soundcloud you've clearly haven't used the platform at all. 2015-2016 Soundcloud era was one of the most creative times of the platform. So many producers and artists that put out creative music. Kaytranada, Flume, whereisalex, Sam Gellaitry, and so many, many more. There's still amazing creative gems today but that was essentially the golden age of Soundcloud. It's got the best algorithm to discover new music you've never heard of.

19 hours ago, uNi said:

You're still talking about it, so I guess it does. 

I see my post went right over your head. A lot of music in GTA has been removed. Hell, you're an admin, how the hell would you not know about this? I'd assume you'd have to be pretty knowledgeable about GTA and it's history. Anyways, if you play the original versions of the old GTAs and then play the re-releases for modern consoles, you'll notice a lot of music has been removed due to licensing. Not so much with GTA V/Online but it still happens. It is pretty amazing they keep adding new music though, credit to R* for that.

Edited by Melojei

Lonely-Martin
5 minutes ago, Melojei said:

If you think that's the only thing that's on Soundcloud you've clearly haven't used the platform at all. 2015-2016 Soundcloud era was one of the most creative times of the platform. So many producers and artists that put out creative music. Kaytranada, Flume, whereisalex, Sam Gellaitry, and so many, many more. There's still amazing creative gems today but that was essentially the golden age of Soundcloud. It's got the best algorithm to discover new music you've never heard of.

I never said I had used the platform, lol. I don't doubt you, the web is full of creative music (and plenty if horseshoe of course). Only a plonker would think that it's limited to that one subgenre I dislike. I just know I don't like that kind of crap is all, I've no objection to lesser known artists/producers getting on there to grow or new artists etc getting a chance in GTA either. Good luck to them. As I said, other than that waste of gigabytes, go nuts.

10 minutes ago, Melojei said:

I see my post went right over your head. A lot of music in GTA has been removed. Hell, you're an admin, how the hell would you not know about this? I'd assume you'd have to be pretty knowledgeable about GTA and it's history. Anyways, if you play the original versions of the old GTAs and then play the re-releases for modern consoles, you'll notice a lot of music has been removed due to licensing. Not so much with GTA V/Online but it still happens. It is pretty amazing they keep adding new music though, credit to R* for that.

I think his point was not that the music was removed due to licensing, but that it was once there and may have been something new to some that they went on to listen to/support new artists because they heard something from a GTA that caught their attention. Therefore, living forever. :)

1 hour ago, Melojei said:

Did you really assume I did not know about music being removed from GTA games? I live and breathe this sh*t.

The fact songs get removed on certain versions/releases is irrelevant, people will still remember them, 90% of the players once they hear a song that was included in a GTA game (radio, YT or wherever it is) will first associate the song with that particular game, which was my point. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, uNi said:

Did you really assume I did not know about music being removed from GTA games? I live and breathe this sh*t.

The fact songs get removed on certain versions/releases is irrelevant, people will still remember them, 90% of the players once they hear a song that was included in a GTA game (radio, YT or wherever it is) will first associate the song with that particular game, which was my point. 

Your first response seemed like "If you're talking about the music today, then it's clearly still in the game and in there forever", misinterpretation on my part I suppose. Maybe it's me personally since I'm an archiver and listen to new music on the daily, but I have never associated a single song to GTA (except the ones produced specifically for GTA) and haven't discovered any new artists/producers through GTA. It's always mostly been classics that everyone already know and love and top 100 sh*t that most people have already heard 1000 times. I have yet to see artists/producers featured on GTA that doesn't already have a massive following. Some music get removed from the games before some people play them, so some people will have no idea a certain song was in the game at one point.

1 hour ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I never said I had used the platform, lol. I don't doubt you, the web is full of creative music (and plenty if horseshoe of course). Only a plonker would think that it's limited to that one subgenre I dislike. I just know I don't like that kind of crap is all, I've no objection to lesser known artists/producers getting on there to grow or new artists etc getting a chance in GTA either. Good luck to them. As I said, other than that waste of gigabytes, go nuts.

I've just heard a lot of people, especially those who only use Spotify as their main platform, say that Soundcloud is mainly mumble rap. Most average joes associate mumble rap with Soundcloud despite that genre being a mere speck of sand on that platform and being bigger on Spotify if anything. It gets annoying to hear that sh*t. It's like when old people that haven't seen a video game in their life say video games breeds violence.

Anyways, I mentioned Soundcloud because it is a big player in the music discovery scene but there are many other platforms on which producers and artists deserve more attention. Like Audius, Matter, Deezer...and many other platforms, some not so great, some pretty amazing and the only reason they're not at the top is because they don't have an insane income to throw at advertising.