1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

I like how 3 different episodes all had slightly different graphics, vision, but Niko's was the best

lol232

GTA IV is grayish, darker, TLAD is yellowish, dirty, to fit the biker theme, TBOGT is more flashy and colorful to fit the party theme.

But I don't think base GTA IV really was supposed to fit a theme as in "Niko had a hard life hurr durr" but rather it just suits Liberty City more, it feels like the baseline.

On top of that Niko is new to the city, so his vision of it would be the "least" corrupted, as is, unlike Luis and Johnny who spent most of their lives there.

But the reality is, it feels like GTA IV's was simply supposed to feel like the New York City in the Autumn. That's it. TBOGT was colorful it flashy but felt really off and it didn't fit Liberty City, at least not in Autumn, it felt more like it was suited for Los Santos. TLAD, I don't have much to say, it gives you a dirty vibe and it fits the biker theme, but TBOGT straight just feels off. Not saying New York isn't colorful, it most certainly is, but it's colorful in base GTA IV too, in places where it should be rather than everywhere. 

As we all know, the game takes place in September/October 2008, and it TBOGT just feels weird since it doesn't really give you the feeling it's Autumn. With that clothes selection, it doesn't even give you a proper Summer feeling either, it's just simply meh. Further more, weather cycle in TBOGT is identical to GTA IV's (am I wrong?) and smog in TBOGT looks weird, GTA IV and even TLAD albeit less give you the feeling it's a bit chilly at times especially when the smog is there. 

Edited by lol232

Mindshower

IV is especially darker on the PS3, reminds me of Brother 2 visually, a Russian film. 

x0dvjBb.jpg

4740-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg

The Tracker

Well, TBoGT is meant to depict this part of New York:

midtown-de-new-york-city-con-empire-stat

I mean, New York is "the capital of the world" having lights and luxury is absolutely something to expect from it from a side.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, The Tracker said:

Well, TBoGT is meant to depict this part of New York:

I mean, New York is "the capital of the world" having lights and luxury is absolutely something to expect from it from a side.

For sure, I don't doubt that one bit, it just gives you the feeling it's in the middle of a hot summer rather than early autumn. 

• Like 3

CynicalMexican

I always liked how GTA 4 has a bit of a grainy feel, almost like a YouTube video from that era.

billiejoearmstrong8

I like all of the different looks. It's true TBOGT feels less autumn-like but I don't mind that small sacrifice, I already know the time of year from the other games anyway. That clear bright look with the pink etc is perfect for it imo. I really enjoy getting three different perspectives on the city like that.

I agree with you about IV's look being the baseline. And it's my favourite. Especially works for Niko starting in the less glamorous boroughs/areas of the city. Then you get TLAD, the gritty look to fit the biker theme and being more of an outsider looking over to the city from heavily industrialised Alderney. And TBOGT right in the bright lights of Algonquin with its nightlife. Perfect!

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

That's a fair statement, however the issue with TBOGT is that the colors changed and made it feel more hot summer like. But... That's it. Weather cycle is the same as other games, pedestrians are all dressed in what people wear during autumn, seldom do you see people wearing t-shirts outside, and Luis doesn't really have any summer clothing either, neither does Niko. (it was still weird how there were no T-shirts, wasn't it?)

It looks nice, but it kills the immersion.

• Like 3

BananaSpud666

IV - Yellow

TLAD - Grainy Orange

TBOGT - Pink

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
MiamiViceCity1986

This is one of my biggest gripes with TBOGT. It doesn't "feel" like it's taking place at the same time as GTA IV and TLAD so usually I have the settings to mimic what I have for GTA IV and TLAD with a simple tweak of the saturation, brightness and contrast.

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

The Tracker

Idk, I always felt TLAD was the odd one in this regard, although admitely I kinda like its filter, those yellowish colors make things feel rather warm, than cold as it should be in an Autumn NY day. Meanwhile TBoGT has very colorful blue skies that certainly, can happen in early autumn:

shu-USA-New-York-Central-Park-in-Autumn-

billiejoearmstrong8

Yeah TLAD feels equally as different to me with that filter, it's really quite distinctively different to IV's. Especially adding in how you're based in Alderney and how different it is to live with and always do missions with a biker gang as well. Because both TLAD and TBOGT have plenty of shared characters and times where missions converge with IV I have no problem seeing them as being at the same time. It's just like you're seeing it "through a different person's lens" in an almost literal sense.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 4:04 AM, The Tracker said:

Idk, I always felt TLAD was the odd one in this regard, although admitely I kinda like its filter, those yellowish colors make things feel rather warm, than cold as it should be in an Autumn NY day. Meanwhile TBoGT has very colorful blue skies that certainly, can happen in early autumn:

Falls through since you can't find such a sight in TBOGT though anyway. Look at how everything outside the park is gray.

And yeah, TLAD felt odd as well when I think about it.

• Like 2

Ray Carter

I like playing GTA IV with the saturation turned down low to give it a gritty feel. Even TBOGT feels gritty and the pink sky isn't as obvious.

I would have liked to have seen a similar weather pattern to GTASA where there's different weather depending on where you are.

IV's original weather could have been used for Broker, Dukes and Bohan. TLAD weather for Alderney, and TBOGT for Algonquin.

• 2 weeks later...
illicitstreet

I'm kinda torn about those "filters" honestly

while doing story missions (from any of the 3 episodes) it really matches the tone of the games

but free roaming feels a little stale sometimes because of it, it takes away some of the variety of the different parts of Liberty City

gunziness

I liked GTAIVs the most, i even use its timecyc on the episodes. The least i like is TLAD's. While i like the yellowish setting, i dont like that its permanent in sunny days. It would have been better IMO if it came as a secondary setting, having both blue and yellow filthers and the game picking one randomly for each day.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, BananaSpud666 said:

IV - Yellow

TLAD - Grainy Orange

TBOGT - Pink

Ha ha , spot on ! 

On 8/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, CynicalMexican said:

I always liked how GTA 4 has a bit of a grainy feel, almost like a YouTube video from that era.

love grainy feel, is very cozy, best thing ever tbh :)

Americana

I like all of them - however, you need some AA to really enjoy them. This in-game blur is awful, I always turn it off.