3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Back 4 Blood | 2021

Mister Pink

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1628014559

Back 4 Blood is an upcoming multiplayer first-person shooter game developed by Turtle Rock Studios and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It is slated for release on October 12, 2021, for Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S.  The game has been considered to be the spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead, as it is being developed by the creators of the original game, and features largely identical gameplay. The game was announced at The Game Awards 2020, and came nearly a decade after Turtle Rock Studios split from Valve (who published both Left 4 Dead titles and still owns the rights to the franchise) and re-established itself as an independent studio.

Played the open beta and it's a lot of fun! Got lucky that I got some sound randomers playing. It was cross play so it was only me on Series X and 3 others on PC. 

Game is coming to Game Pass day one. 

• Like 2

Mixed feelings on this after playing it.

Purely from a gameplay point of view it feels like a poor imitation of L4D. It doesn't feel as fun or as satisfying to play as those L4D games, it's not just the shooting or the melee but the sounds and effects. The game has carbon copies of many of the L4D items and in particular the pipe bomb, which in L4D is one of the most satisfying explosives to use in the game as it sends zombies flying in pieces, but in B4B it goes off like a wet fart and that's just one example of the many areas where this game just doesn't have the gameplay polish/satisfaction of L4D, or World War Z, which for me remains the best L4D imitation so far.

The real shake up of the formula here is the card system which I wasn't a fan of when I first heard of it, then I played a few rounds and I actually liked it, then I played a few more aaaaaand I don't like it. I feel like it's Turtle Rock's solution to not copying World War Z's progression and class system, but yea idk here man. The progression here isn't fun of rewarding with the card system they have right now, I think I'd rather they just did their own version of a level up and skill tree system to this or something.

But the game does have some promising things, the gun variety is pretty nice for launch, and I like the gun attachment system although the rarity (green, blue, purple, legendary) system I don't think serves any real purpose. But yea it's more meaningful loot in the world which when combined with the shop and currency, makes the game far more of a scavenge/looter game than other games in the genre and I kinda dug that. Felt like I was always rewarded for searching every room and every part of the map, which is a good thing for me.

It's a good Games Pass game cause the price they're asking for this makes it a very hard sell otherwise.

• Like 2

I only played one round but I enjoyed it well enough. For some reason I ended up playing with three bots and real people joined in just as I was heading to the safehouse. Just from my one round I'd say it's very unlikely I'd be buying the game before it's on a deep, deep sale but with it on gamepass I'll likely be playing day one.

Jason's description is pretty spot on. The game just looks, sounds, and feels... flat. Graphically, I was expecting something along the lines of Left 4 Dead 2's cutscenes but I think it might even be worse than Left 4 Dead 2's gameplay. It almost feels like someone dialed the contrast down way too low.

The worst part is that the watered down feel of everything doesn't really seem like early version technical issues but just a really weird artistic choice. The graphics could also just be that specific level's design, too. I basically just made it to one safehouse and then popped Left 4 Dead 2 into my Xbox. Could be things get more visually interesting after that.

60017 Silver Fox

I can't play the game myself but from what ive seen on Youtube videos/ recorded livestreams and from online discussions the game visually looks good but is severely lacking in almost every way. It pales in comparison to Left 4 Dead. It just looks and feels like they wanted to emulate the success of Left 4 Dead but have no idea what made the game successful in the first place.

Definately not worth the £50-60 they're charrging, thats for sure.

What I like the most is the graphics of the civilian ridden mainly because they look like re-skinned Nazi Zombies which for a long time was my go-to for zombies. Other than that, its just set pieces like the farm covered in ridden guts and the railway with the gravel chute (I think that was what it was) crescendo.

The rest of the game from my perspective is just lacking in soo many ways. Smaller maps, less threatening ridden compared to L4D and bullet sponge heaven. The list goes on and on the more I think about it. It still surprises me how much more terrifying the Tank is compared to the Ogre despite the latter towering over the former.

Hell, I'm still shocked when I see the Tank because of how small he actually is compared to how large I always imagine him to be. I guess thats the power of a kick-ass theme tune and threatening grunts and growls coupled with a visual look of a pasty-skinned gorilla charging towards you.

9 hours ago, 60017 Silver Fox said:

It still surprises me how much more terrifying the Tank is compared to the Ogre despite the latter towering over the former.

Oh yea the special infected and especially that giant boss are all.... boring in comparision to L4D infected - and again, even World War Z's specials.

The giant boss is ???????????????. It doesn't work in the world one bit, I genuinely have no idea why it exists. Me and my mates just sat inside a room and sprayed it from the inside till it died and whiile it can technically grab you from inside the room as long as you're far enough away you can cheese it. The special infected designs visually are meh, and from a gameplay perspective are just poor attempts to make them seem like L4D special infected without straight up ripping them off.

You can sum this game up by saying that all the good ideas are from L4D, but done worse, and all the B4B original ideas are just average or plain bad. I really do have to recommend World War Z for a modern L4D fix, it's a damn solid co-op shooter with unique stuff that sets it apart from L4D and has hugely satisfying gameplay.

The N. Bellic Man

Not going into details since Jason reflects my thought pretty perfectly. Let's just say that this was a big disappointment since I was under impression that this was gonna be a spiritual sequel to L4D. And it kind of is - a poor man's L4D. Especially guns felt and sounded really weak and AI wasn't that good. Of course I might give it another shot when it comes to Game Pass, but then again I haven't even finished WWZ yet.

60017 Silver Fox

You can sum this game up by saying that all the good ideas are from L4D, but done worse, and all the B4B original ideas are just average or plain bad.

To me, it reminds me of all the people out there who try to market their games as the "[franchise] killer" only to fail at the more advanced bits of understanding why the franchise they're aiming to take on is popular to begin with. Theres more to Sonic the Hedgehog than "gotta go fast" and jumping over things for example, yet they would make their fangame based heavily with that in mind. Completely leaving out important things such as music, momentum-based platforming, how the level design itself is ect .

When I play Left 4 Dead 2 (yesterday), within minutes of leaving the safe room, I had to change my playstyle simply because I heard some grunting. Prior experience reminds me that it was a Charger so I was in-outing through doors, making sure if I saw him, he wouldn't have time to ram into me. Every time I heard something be it a cough, a cry, a teammate telling me something was around, a musical score ect. I had to be on guard and react accordingly.

Them sound effects alone greatly affected how I played the game. When I saw recorded livestreams of people playing Back 4 Blood. I didn't get that feeling. I just saw annoying Specials, hitsponges and "well thats poorly done" things and moments which littered most of the two campaigns.

Its a huge shame because I would have loved to try a new game that was L4D-like. But if B4B is going to be like what the beta has shown me? I'll pass. It's not worth more than Xbox 360 price in its current form and even if it was priced as such, i'd still hold back and wait to see how things fare before I even consider parting with my money.

OysterBarron

Well I've to say my main 2 concerns about the title is how many campaign sections there's going to be? I felt like the one they allowed us to play was very tutorialy. I think I would need about at least 8 of those campaigns in order to make it a worthwhile purchase.

My other concern is the weapon shop At the hub camp that is currently closed. I'm hoping that it doesn't sell weapons as my main fear is if you can get the powerfulist weapon from there then it would pretty much mute all of the randomly generated weapons that appear in the campaighn shop and ones found out in the world.

Deffently a day one must watch YouTube videos before buying deal.

Edited by OysterBarron

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

• 1 month later...

Playing the full release on PC (cross platform MP!) is a much better experience than beta. Less jank, shooting feels better, card system can now open up properly cause no beta restrictions, more maps etc. Some of the finales I've done so far are just pure chaos in a good way, the bar one is great.

It runs great too on my PC especially with DLSS, maxed out running at 90-100fps and it actually looks pretty damn solid visually for this type of game.

Definitely worth checking out if you've got Games Pass I'd say.

That's good to know. 

Going to download it now but won't really get a chance to play much this week. 

I may be wrong but I think they've tweaked special infected too, they're more enjoyable to fight now and it's more obvious where their weak spots are. Also while I haven't unlocked them you can see all the available cards when building a solo deck (which can't be used in co-op) and there's a lot of nifty options in there that look interesting to experiment with. I've also unlocked some more characters with their own perks which again look interesting to play with.

My main issue is still the attachment system, you can't remove them which means if you spec up a base level gun with good attachments but then find a rarer/better gun you can't swap and keep those attachments, at least not without some extra fiddling which is heavily reliant on RNG. It'd be good if you could swap attachments out or upgrade your guns as you go I think.

But yea, overall the hour or two I played was a lot of fun, game just seems way more polished and it ran well on my PC and looked surprisingly good doing it. Cross platform MP (and cross save, between PC and Xbox I believe) is a huge bonus as I can play it with my mates on console while playing it on PC with keyboard and mouse and all that. I can see this being a big hit for Games Pass going forward for sure.

I only played for a little bit this morning and, while I mostly enjoyed it, I feel like they're relying way too much on the "special zombies". My favorite moments in Left 4 Dead were always the times when I was mowing down long waves of just regular old zombies but here I don't think I've ever gone more than a few seconds without a tall boy or a stinger or an exploder to deal with. They appear so frequently that there's really nothing "special" about them at all.

Wow, I just realized that since I'm playing single player, I'm not capable of unlocking any achievements for this game. It looks like there's no tracking of stats or progression at all for solo players. Not sure who thought that was a good idea or why nobody was able to convince them that it wasn't.

8 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Wow, I just realized that since I'm playing single player, I'm not capable of unlocking any achievements for this game. It looks like there's no tracking of stats or progression at all for solo players. Not sure who thought that was a good idea or why nobody was able to convince them that it wasn't.

Yea this became known just before launch and it's baaaaaaaaaaaaad. It's on their public tracker as something they're looking into fixing but that's very much TBA, if it ever gets fixed.

You can sort of play SP by starting a private match with a second account and then leaving on the 2nd account. I've found that I can beat a level faster with bots, since I'm not spending time waiting on people.

I just installed Back 4 Blood on my second PC, and use that to join/leave games.

IPMBMBAP

Had fun today, made it to the goal on first co-op play..

I liked it..

FYI Game Pass perks has a couple of B4B perks

Edited by Failed Again
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Im thinking about getting this game soon, is it worth it? Or should i wait until it's dirt cheap?

I did like left 4 dead 1 and 2.

It still uses good old Half Life engine right?

Are there free mods in the steam version, like in the previous games?

Do you have friends to play it with? If so, then it might be worth it.

It's just like Left 4 Dead, with a progression system. You beat maps, you get "points". You spent those points on items that give you boosts that you can select for each game.

Now here's the catch. You cannot get those points in Solo mode, and you can't start a multiplayer mode by yourself. So either play with random players (who might suck, or intentionally grief you), or have friends to group with.

• Like 1

IPMBMBAP

5 hours ago, Misumi said:

and you can't start a multiplayer mode by yourself.

I thought you could if you set your party to private? Not 100% on that though.

7 hours ago, Mexicola9302 said:

It still uses good old Half Life engine right?

It's on Unreal 4 I believe, not Source.

It's a great little game though but I wouldn't pay the full price for it tbh, there's not quite enough content for that. If you have a PC/Xbox then getting a Games Pass trial might be worth it to try it.

• Like 1

I've been setting it to Private while farming supply points by myself, but you still need at least 1 other player to start a campaign. Hence why I bought the game again and I'm running it on a 2nd computer. The game needs 2 players minimum to start a campaign.

So what I've been doing is setting my game to Private, joining with my 2nd account, then leaving it, so I play with 3 bots.

Still, I've had people join my "private" game once. So after I leave on my 2nd account, it looks to just switch my game back to a Public one. Fortunately, people joining me is very rare. I've farmed over 12,000 supply points and only been joined once.

Now that I have all the cards I need, playing solo with 3 bots on Veteran/Nightmare is a problem. The bots are just too stupid to be of any help.

IPMBMBAP

I will wait until it's dirt cheap, and get it on steam then. Im in no hurry getting this game.

2 hours ago, Misumi said:

It's included in the Xbox Game Pass if you have an Xbox or a PC.

there's 2 game pass perks available also for B4B

Skins and ultimate digital ver

• 3 weeks later...

i also started playing B4B now

its cool and really feels like sth like left4dead

well i dislike this card system

and i want to play the campaign online with other random dudes ..... but i barely find anyone, even with crossplay on, i am about to finish act1, and i always do short runs, but i dont get matched with other players, and the bots are not stupid but not very useful

this just fixed asap, i googled this problem and seems many dudes cant find other to play with, this sucks since this is supposed to be a crossplay online coop zombie shooter lol

I can usually find a group pretty easily. What difficulty are you choosing? A lot of people seem to be running Veteran at the moment.

IPMBMBAP

8 hours ago, Misumi said:

I can usually find a group pretty easily. What difficulty are you choosing? A lot of people seem to be running Veteran at the moment.

its my first playthrough, so i pick the easiest difficulty because of two reasons: only on easiest difficulty you can start from whatever saferoom you want to .. and no friendly-fire (trolling is hard in this game)