4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

World Trade Center

Luis Vercetti

Luis Vercetti

I had seen a video about how 9/11 had changed gta 3 drastically, one thing mentioned in that video was that rockstar COMPLETELY removed the world trade center from the game and the building next to the "Rotterdam Tower" (It doesn't have an official name so why not call it that) how ever i havent seen a single model in the game of the world trade center. beta screenshots of staunton island also do not have the building in the photo so does anyone have any clue of what happened to the towers in the game? wouldn't it be safer for rockstar to keep the towers? because then it would seem that gta 3 took place AFTER they were destroyed.

paperbagdude
13 hours ago, Luis Vercetti said:

wouldn't it be safer for rockstar to keep the towers? because then it would seem that gta 3 took place AFTER they were destroyed.

No. Though that would seem logical, content that includes imagery or mentioning of the Twin Towers of other contemporary media and entertainment was excluded as well. Even Lilo & Stitch (2002) had a flight scene with one airplane chasing the other, flying dangerously close to skyscrapers which was almost completely remade to a remote airspace with several voice lines and cuts being removed that may be referring to the city they were originally located at. Though that scene had absolutely no reference to 9/11, it remained a time where the attack was still deeply embedded in the American people, being an obviously sensitive topic to discuss and process, naturally because of its tragic and traumatic nature.

Thus leaving the Twin Towers out of the game was for best of everyone.

• Like 2

Luis Vercetti
10 hours ago, paperbagdude said:

No. Though that would seem logical, content that includes imagery or mentioning of the Twin Towers of other contemporary media and entertainment was excluded as well. Even Lilo & Stitch (2002) had a flight scene with one airplane chasing the other, flying dangerously close to skyscrapers which was almost completely remade to a remote airspace with several voice lines and cuts being removed that may be referring to the city they were originally located at. Though that scene had absolutely no reference to 9/11, it remained a time where the attack was still deeply embedded in the American people, being an obviously sensitive topic to discuss and process, naturally because of its tragic and traumatic nature.

Thus leaving the Twin Towers out of the game was for best of everyone.

I guess that makes sense if people were traumatized from the attack but even in beta images it wasn't seen (before 9/11) and usually when rockstar removes something from a game they dont delete it completely they just remove it from sight. the feature of exploding airplanes was disabled in the game after 9/11 but its easily re-enabled by changing the script of the game. but somehow the twin towers are completely gone from the games files. The other weird thing is that rockstar said they removed buildings that looked like the twin towers. if you go to the rotterdam tower in gta 3 there is a building next to it that does actually look like the twin towers accept its not seperated (there is glass panes between the two structures) so what was rockstar even talking about?

Luis Vercetti

I FOUND THE WORLD TRADE CENTER IN GTA 3. apparently rockstar removed this when you actually go across the map but if you start the game in portland and look across the trade center is still visible! this affect is in vice city too with the "ghost building" bug that happens when you are at vercetti estate. at first i thought this was a random building but when i went to staunton i couldnt find any building taller than the rotterdam tower so this here is the world trade center (twin towers) https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YVqBE2Aken3CGnM9

xSapphirePlayz
28 minutes ago, Luis Vercetti said:

I FOUND THE WORLD TRADE CENTER IN GTA 3. apparently rockstar removed this when you actually go across the map but if you start the game in portland and look across the trade center is still visible! this affect is in vice city too with the "ghost building" bug that happens when you are at vercetti estate. at first i thought this was a random building but when i went to staunton i couldnt find any building taller than the rotterdam tower so this here is the world trade center (twin towers) https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YVqBE2Aken3CGnM9

Nope. There never was a WTC mockup in GTA III. The building you're talking about is the FBC Bank Building, it's actually taller than the Empire State thingy and is still present in the final game.

Luis Vercetti
13 hours ago, xSapphirePlayz said:

Nope. There never was a WTC mockup in GTA III. The building you're talking about is the FBC Bank Building, it's actually taller than the Empire State thingy and is still present in the final game.

oh damn from far it really did look like it but i just went to staunton and saw it lol. my bad

IlyaKostygov

Lips FM Twin Towers at Staunton (near the Callahan Bridge) - are most close to WTC ingame. And i dont know other references to original WTC in GTA3.

UPD: Here it is.

Edited by IlyaKostygov

xSapphirePlayz
2 minutes ago, IlyaKostygov said:

Lips FM Twin Towers at Staunton (near the Callahan Bridge) - are most close to WTC ingame. And i dont know other references to original WTC in GTA3.

There's also the Arched Building. It isn't tall but reminds me of WTC a lot.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, Luis Vercetti said:

I had seen a video about how 9/11 had changed gta 3 drastically

It didn't. Rockstar said that about 1% of the game changed.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/25o241181oaa23/grand-theft-auto-iii-your-questions-answered-part-two-911-the-gh.html

On 8/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, Luis Vercetti said:

one thing mentioned in that video was that rockstar COMPLETELY removed the world trade center from the game and the building next to the "Rotterdam Tower" (It doesn't have an official name so why not call it that) how ever i havent seen a single model in the game of the world trade center. beta screenshots of staunton island also do not have the building in the photo so does anyone have any clue of what happened to the towers in the game? wouldn't it be safer for rockstar to keep the towers? because then it would seem that gta 3 took place AFTER they were destroyed.

They didn't replace anything. You can see in several pictures that nothing changed. It's only Sam who said that, not Dan or anyone else.

vqKaW25.jpg

aPS7Nwl.jpg

wqXNCoC.gif

This map is from before the E3 clips, and Portland still had the old hospital, police building, and the tall tower with the bribe pickup in the alleyway is missing. Staunton has virtually no change in terms of buildings compared to final. Granted they did remove a statue (and retextured an ad in Shoreside), but there is no building that resembles the twin tower.

Edited by Jinx.
  • Like 3

Lioshenka
On 8/12/2021 at 7:25 PM, Jinx. said:

This map is from before the E3 clips, and Portland still had the old hospital, police building, and the tall tower with the bribe pickup in the alleyway is missing. Staunton has virtually no change in terms of buildings compared to final. Granted they did remove a statue (and retextured an ad in Shoreside), but there is no building that resembles the twin tower.

There were even older renders where the airport was in Staunton, and I'm pretty sure that even then there was no WTC on the plans.

• Like 1