4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Take-Two vs The GTA Modding Community, 2021 E&E Edition

Ash_735

arisfelbonilla
1 hour ago, deathdealer said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-12-03-josef-fares-it-takes-two-hit-by-take-two-trademark-claim

por lo que, según este artículo, Hazelight tuvo que abandonar la marca debido a este

Question ?
who will win this take two or EA? and who has more possibility because
it's just a name for take two to demand
In my opinion

Edited by arisfelbonilla

12 minutes ago, Ifxfdh said:

rockstar mad cos modders do a better job lmaoo

bruh this time it has to do with T2 trying to take trademarks related to them not mods.

That said, I don't think EA/Hazelight should have done anything about it, because all of T2's, Microsoft's, AMD's and others' frivolous disputes have pretty much been left abandoned in the past. I can understand that T2 seems threatening for a smaller developer (Hazelight) though, it's a shame that it seems to be working for some. :/ Funnily I believe GTAF was filled with jokes about that game's name being disputed by T2, I guess the joke became reality lmao.

It looks like Rockstar Axe Throwing from Florida also caught the bait so that's gonna make things even worse for both probably.

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Ladies and gentlemen, before our very eyes, Take Two, the owner of the greatest piece of entertainment ever, the Grand Theft Auto video game series, is turning into a trademark bully.

Edited by Claude_Lib

11 minutes ago, Claude_Lib said:

Ladies and gentlemen, before our very eyes, Take Two, the owner of the greatest piece of entertainment ever, the Grand Theft Auto video game series, is turning into a copyright bully.

What else is new?

On 12/1/2021 at 3:49 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Looks like T2 have been doing this for... ever basically. Doesn't make it right, it's frivolous, but most of those older ones seem abandoned so I'd say the same will happen to these new ones, they'll just be stuck in the "waiting for opposition" state. I've noticed in the past other companies trying to take names like this, really not sure what's up with lawyers and brands sometimes lol. If you go to a website like CourtListener and search the lawsuits (which these aren't, but just as an example) for a brand, you'll most likely see lawsuits for silly branding sh*t like this.

TfVit7N.png

MUk6RcF.png

dmHkQx1.png

This doesn't wash their hands clean, considering that they've been on a takedown roll for the past 6 months.

Edited by dkluin

14 minutes ago, Claude_Lib said:

Ladies and gentlemen, before our very eyes, Take Two, the owner of the greatest piece of entertainment ever, the Grand Theft Auto video game series, is turning into a copyright bully.

As disappointed as I am as an ex-R* fan at this point, mate... That was kinda expected, I'm afraid. These guys reached the sky a long time ago and now the gravity is calling them back, and you know when gravity calls, everything falls.

Edited by H-G

18 minutes ago, dkluin said:

This doesn't wash their hands clean

No one said anything of the sort. Just that it's not exclusive to T2 and it's been happening for years, every year, with other corporations too, we're just now noticing T2 is doing it too. And obviously smaller brands will give in to the threats even if 90% of the time they seem to amount to nothing, which is still sad.

None of those have amounted to lawsuits, Zenimax/Bethesda were one of the only ones to actually sue (Mojang) over a trademark. I mean, AMD trying to file a claim against the Decathlon sports store because it has Athlon (a CPU family) in the name is pretty ridiculous too, it looks like this might be some kind of protocol for big corpos.

8 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

No one said anything of the sort. Just that it's not exclusive to T2 and it's been happening for years, every year, with other corporations too, we're just now noticing T2 is doing it too. And obviously smaller brands will give in to the threats even if 90% of the time they seem to amount to nothing, which is still sad.

None of those have amounted to lawsuits, Zenimax/Bethesda were one of the only ones to actually sue (Mojang) over a trademark.

While I think it's sad that Rockstar's parent company has been resorting to this corporate thuggery, you're correct. This is nothing new, and it certainly isn't unique to Take2. I will say that their tactics with the modders are especially egregious, when you consider the overall inferior quality of the so called DE, particularly when compared to some of the stellar work of many modders.

I don't think you will disagree when I say that, regardless of these sort of tactics being commonplace, this should never be seen as any sort of an acceptable excuse for their behavior.

The legal issue is an interesting one. The problem with the whole David & Goliath metaphor is that, while it is certainly true, I believe these lawsuits would never amount to anything if the modders fight them properly. This is not to suggest they should. I am not a lawyer and I can't say definitively whether modders would be crushed by Take2 anti-modder litigation, but I have the feeling they might not be. And if I am right, certainly Take2 would know this. My point is that Take2 can send a veritable army of lawyers into a court against some modder kid with a ponytail and some pro bono firm. But if the judge believes that this is a frivolous case, which I believe even the most inexperienced litigator can make, that judge can simply rule with a summary judgement for the defense, and if the judge feels strongly enough about the bullying he or she sees in the court, has the option of dimissing the suit with prejudice, meaning it can't be filed again, only appealed.

This would set a terrible precedent for big companies like Take2, losing to a shoestring defendant with an attorney who walks in the court with sneakers and a manila folder of case notes. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that these suits are so meritless that they are all bluster, and Take2 is counting on the modders to be too intimidated to do anything but comply. I would certainly not be the one recommending to modders to simply fight and stay the course, because if the cases aren't dismissed, and a judge allows them to proceed forward, Take2's legal team could ruin your life.

Also, a lot of discussion here and yet no one has posted the actual video from Hoeg Law from Dec 1st already. :p  The tl;dr seems to be that they need to do stuff like this (just not as much as T2 is doing it...) to ensure the trademark isn't lost, and everyone including Sony does it, but this is dialling it up to 11.

Losing a trademark apparently also doesn't mean you CAN'T USE IT, more that it's not protected.

• Like 3

What a sack of sh*t company Take-Two is, hopefully EA can intervene and win this case.

If Rockstar/Take-Two had any dignity they would go back to GTA V and remove that line criticizing capitalism in the last mission.

arisfelbonilla
1 hour ago, Spider-Vice said:

Nadie dijo nada por el estilo. Solo que no es exclusivo de T2 y que ha estado sucediendo durante años, todos los años, también con otras corporaciones, ahora estamos notando que T2 también lo está haciendo. Y, obviamente, las marcas más pequeñas cederán ante las amenazas incluso si el 90% de las veces parecen no llegar a nada, lo cual sigue siendo triste.

Ninguno de ellos ha constituido una demanda, Zenimax / Bethesda fue uno de los únicos en demandar (Mojang) por una marca registrada. Quiero decir, AMD tratando de presentar un reclamo contra la tienda de deportes Decathlon porque tiene Athlon (una familia de CPU) en el nombre también es bastante ridículo, parece que esto podría ser algún tipo de protocolo para grandes corporaciones.

if the name is registered for take two
the company of the game If takes two will not be able to win?
Also Electronic arts will help you or will they pass you by?

I disagree that they're becoming something that they never were. These companies are hardly any different from each other and you just need the right circumstances for it to become clear.

My opinion, obviously.

1 hour ago, Zorak-2 said:

What a sack of sh*t company Take-Two is, hopefully EA can intervene and win this case.

If Rockstar/Take-Two had any dignity they would go back to GTA V and remove that line criticizing capitalism in the last mission.

It's quite depressing when EA looks more trustworthy than Take-Two nowadays, and that's saying a lot.

arisfelbonilla
22 minutes ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

Es bastante deprimente cuando EA parece más confiable que Take-Two hoy en día, y eso dice mucho.

Seeing what battlefield 2042 doesn't look like

58 minutes ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

It's quite depressing when EA looks more trustworthy than Take-Two nowadays, and that's saying a lot.

What is the link between EA and Take2? Is there a connection, other than Take 2 using some tactics most gamers usually attribute to companies like EA? Or is there some interaction between the two giants? I will Google it, but I'm at work at the moment, seeing patients and insanely busy.

1 hour ago, Wolfman_ said:

I disagree that they're becoming something that they never were. These companies are hardly any different from each other and you just need the right circumstances for it to become clear.

My opinion, obviously.

x7iyeRq.png

Lock n' Stock
1 hour ago, Zorak-2 said:

This is gonna be fun.

I love it, two dogsh*t companies at each other's throats.

I just checked out the game they were talking about, and damn, it's dark. I might get it sometime.

Edited by sabitsuki
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sabitsuki said:

I just checked out the game they were talking about, and damn, it's dark. I might get it sometime.

Off topic but is the guy with green hat Ken Rosenberg's voice actor? 

Edit: nvm, he wasn't. 

Edited by mathhead

7 hours ago, Zorak-2 said:

Oh that's great, let's all sue those big-time Hollywood directors just because they said "take #2" while filming scenes for their movies.

Like c'mon, T2, seriously?:kekw:

13 hours ago, H-G said:

Oh that's great, let's all sue those big-time Hollywood directors just because they said "take #2" while filming scenes for their movies.

Like c'mon, T2, seriously?:kekw:

Yeah like T2 need to chill a break because this is too much.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 9:58 PM, Claude_Lib said:

Ladies and gentlemen, before our very eyes, Take Two, the owner of the greatest piece of entertainment ever, the Grand Theft Auto video game series, is turning into a trademark bully.

Oh noes, you said the word "bully"! Take-Two is gonna be after you now!

On 12/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Panzermann11 said:

Oh noes, you said the word "bully"! Take-Two is gonna be after you now!

Damn, well i guess i can't talk about that Japanese street racing club anymore. The one that happens to carry the exact same name as a certain racing game IP that's been since abandoned by R* for over 13 years.

• KEKW 6