3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Take-Two vs The GTA Modding Community, 2021 E&E Edition

Ash_735

3 hours ago, UnnamedRic said:

I might be wrong but was take2 actually trying to file something against the game "It Takes Two" in 2020 ?

R9IU7jX.png

Wouldn't surprise me if this one is out of jealousy since that game is winning awards, not to mention the title is inspired from the Marvin Gaye song:

https://youtu.be/xqFbU5Q7zys

2 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if this one is out of jealousy since that game is winning awards, not to mention the title is inspired from the Marvin Gaye song:

https://youtu.be/xqFbU5Q7zys

it is just so weird to see take2 even trying to threaten a property backed by a huge company like EA lmao

• Like 2

Well I always thought the name of that game actually sounded too similar to the company... but 95% of the others are simply ridiculous. Is Rockstar Energy also listed there?

Fun fact: I remember that for some time Rockstar Energy used "rockstar69.com" as their main domain because "rockstar.com" was taken by Rockstar Games. 

Another fun fact: some companies are way more faint-hearted than others and they choose to change the name of their properties before the dispute legally begins just because they want to completely skip the process, even if it's as absurd as many of these cases. 

Two quick examples within the industry: 

~Ubisoft changed the name for Monsters and Gods to Immortal Fenyx Rising because of a dispute started by Monster Energy. 
~Leslie Benzies opted to change the name of his studio from Royal Circus Games to Build a Rocket Boy because of a disputed started by Take Two claiming the acronym was too similar to RSG and had been created "intentionally to mislead people" (which also doesn't make sense and I think Leslie could've won easily). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, victm92 said:

Well I always thought the name of that game actually sounded too similar to the company... but 95% of the others are simply ridiculous. Is Rockstar Energy also listed there?

Fun fact: I remember that for some time Rockstar Energy used "rockstar69.com" as their main domain because "rockstar.com" was taken by Rockstar Games. 

Well I wonder how they felt when CDPR and Rockstar energy teamed up a year ago for Cyberpunk 2077

:kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw::kekw:

This would have pissed off Take Two's lawyers and gave them multiple strokes. The Rockstar and CDPR partnership we've always wanted to see :sadkek:

• KEKW 7

I am genuinely and simultaneously confused, terrified and humored by this.

Looks like T2 have been doing this for... ever basically. Doesn't make it right, it's frivolous, but most of those older ones seem abandoned so I'd say the same will happen to these new ones, they'll just be stuck in the "waiting for opposition" state. I've noticed in the past other companies trying to take names like this, really not sure what's up with lawyers and brands sometimes lol. If you go to a website like CourtListener and search the lawsuits (which these aren't, but just as an example) for a brand, you'll most likely see lawsuits for silly branding sh*t like this.

TfVit7N.png

MUk6RcF.png

dmHkQx1.png

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Hope that they are doing this because it means that they already know that their case against re3 is lost, so, ofc they are in full damage control right now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, victm92 said:

I don't think Take Two and Rockstar are ballsy enough to go up against PepsiCo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Americana said:

Maybe they'll sue

These aren't lawsuits. Bethesda attempted something similar for the name Scrolls against Mojang even, in fact Zenimax DID actually sue in that case! This is literally just lawyers flexing (in any company that does this not just T2) with empty trademark disputes in hopes someone is scared and does give them the trademark. All of the ones in the USPTO from years ago didn't amount to anything. This is frivolous as hell and there's no defending it but it most likely will mean nothing in the end, seems like just lawyers playing legal games that most likely will do nothing much.

Filing these disputes is probably nearly free to big corporations like Zenimax or T2 lol. Unlike filing ACTUAL lawsuits against every single brand they've filed disputes for in the last decade. Hell, Harvard even has whole papers about trademark litigation abuse, it looks like it's common as hell.

EDIT: Microsoft doesn't want someone to be named AIDynamics because they have "Microsoft Dynamics". It looks like just another day at a legal office.

Need For Madness Auto
8 hours ago, cuban gang member said:

Remember boys, "2","T" and "R" are the forbidden letters.

I want a "crying" reaction 😢 

Maybe this is what the poor multi-billion dollar corporation needs to do to secure song licenses.

16 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Looking at that list it looks like they've been doing this since 2020, jeez.

Holy sh*t, how pathetic can you be? This is just way too petty, man. Take-Two suing other businesses and organizations that use any of the trademarks (including the R* logo) is the most funniest yet evil scheme I've ever heard from a company. What's next, sue artists who bears any of their trademarks? Sue everyone who uses the word "rockstar" in a movie or TV series? I hope they don't sue Y2k and 2KBABY.

• Like 6

BadaBing_1996
5 hours ago, Americana said:

Maybe they'll sue GTAForums for using the famous acronym in its name.

They will definitely sue the province of Ontario.

This is clearly automated by their legal bot or some service that allows them to view similar marks and they are basically filing against all of them.

At this point, I think starting a gofundme would be better suited than a petition. @RzDat

1 hour ago, DodgeSomrs said:

Holy sh*t, how pathetic can you be? This is just way too petty, man. Take-Two suing other businesses and organizations that use any of the trademarks (including the R* logo) is the most funniest yet evil scheme I've ever heard from a company. What's next, sue artists who bears any of their trademarks? Sue everyone who uses the word "rockstar" in a movie or TV series? I hope they don't sue Y2k and 2KBABY.

Again, this is ridiculous, but they're not lawsuits. :p Just trademark dispute filings to the US govt that will most likely be ignored like the 2016 ones.

Whilst they do note it's more complicated, they do acknowledge it's aggressive.

I've read something on Twitter about corporations doing this so they keep the trademark by showing they're doing something with it/defending it, so they file pointless stuff like this to show activity, even if it won't win. Not sure how true that is, but it makes sense looking at all the previous years T2 and other corporations have done this without any of those claims ever winning.

AMD has done the same multiple times in the past it seems: https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?qt=adv&procstatus=All&pn=Advanced Micro Devices&page=2

AMD made a bunch of claims to companies named Geo-D, GeoDestination, GVODE, etc. just because they had a trademark for something named Geode, among many others. I suppose people just noticed T2 is doing this again. I honestly remember having a similar discussion a long while back, not sure if it was about T2 or not. Would have to search here or on Twitter.

EDIT: lmao, AMD filed one against Decathlon, the store, because it had Athlon in it.

JvDewES.png 

Edited by Spider-Vice

arisfelbonilla

I am not an expert in these copyright issues and all that, just the basic thing that if you take a car from real life for example and put it in a video game without permission, basically demanded

now I only say this to take two
why ?
because they have to sue those who use several names take two rockstar etc.

It seems illogical to me if one is copied or someone steals the IP, it is worth it, but like this

I do not understand xD

7 hours ago, GRANDHEIST said:

y1ajR0A.png

Legend

Man what even imagining if Rockstar will to change their own company name into Legend Games instead 

• Like 2

Mitsuoka Motors, a Japanese car company, has a car called Rock Star. I wonder if a dispute was listed.

Edited by Panzermann11

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-12-03-josef-fares-it-takes-two-hit-by-take-two-trademark-claim

so, according to this article, hazelight had to abandon the trademark because of this

Still, Hazelight did not dispute it had been forced to abandon the trademark to its game because of Take-Two - something which can be seen in this notice of abandonment sent to the US Patent Office shortly after Take-Two's claim was filed.

The team also did not comment on how this had impacted Hazelight's ability to sell or market It Takes Two currently, any plans to rename the game, or ideas for any potential sequel.

Now, it's only a matter of time before every other major publication starts covering the same story.

US Patent Office records show Take-Two is behind filings to contest numerous names with connections to the words "rockstar", "social club", "mafia", "civilization" and more.

These include a Beijing company's trademark of the brand "Starrocks", the name of clothing brand Max Fayne, plus numerous restaurants, tattoo parlours and other small businesses who had used the word "rockstar" in their name.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, Jinx. said:

Wait till they sue China for their Social Credit System as it sounds too much like the Rockstar Games Social Club :kekw:

• Like 2