4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Take-Two vs The GTA Modding Community, 2021 E&E Edition

Ash_735

sLpEznM.png

8 minutes ago, Ondr4H said:

I bet his version is truly worth all the money!

He had a very small part in True Crime NYC so this is his revenge on Rockstar for the True grime diss in SA :kekw:

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

30 minutes ago, Moth said:

At one point. Though never to extent like Bethesda does. Though Hot Coffee really f*cked them in the ass.

10 million is probably the max. And most of it probably went to the music licenses that still remain in the games. 

wait really?

54 minutes ago, Moth said:

At one point. Though never to extent like Bethesda does. Though Hot Coffee really f*cked them in the ass.

10 million is probably the max. And most of it probably went to the music licenses that still remain in the games. 

Too much, it's the budget of "The Medium"

3 hours ago, Ifxfdh said:

wait really?

I doubt it was a high budget release, and it's Grove Street Games. They used an AI to upscale the textures that they didn't replace. 

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

6 hours ago, Ifxfdh said:

Didnt Rockstar used to promote modding?

I'm going to risk asserting that they still do — if it doesn't go too far. Despite a few takedowns that make no imaginable sense (a save file?), I think a blurry but discernible line has been drawn between acceptable modification and unacceptable creation and publication of infringing derivative works. Name any mod or mod idea, and I'll make a totally incompetent yet probably accurate prediction of its jeopardy, or lack of.

23 minutes ago, Magic_Al said:

Name any mod or mod idea, and I'll make a totally incompetent yet probably accurate prediction of its jeopardy, or lack of.

I'll bite:

Rainbomizer

Chaos

GTA III's Frosted Winter

8 minutes ago, Carbonox said:

I'll bite:

Rainbomizer

Chaos

GTA III's Frosted Winter

Rainbomizer and Chaos and similar mods would be fine. Frosted Winter could be put on ice because it presents an unauthorized expansion/sequel narrative that falls under the Rockstar's warning against "making new games, stories, missions, or maps".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Magic_Al said:

Rainbomizer and Chaos and similar mods would be fine. Frosted Winter could be put on ice because it presents an unauthorized expansion/sequel narrative that falls under the Rockstar's warning against "making new games, stories, missions, or maps".

Well, the rules that Rockstar has made are f*cking stupid. Guessing classic mods like Odie's Stunt Park would be banned, since they are an expansion to the map. So f*ck Rockstar, mods shouldn't have rules when it comes to singleplayer. 

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

4 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

People are already modding these games on PC in an attempt to fix them... :prismkek:

It will take years to fix that kind of mess

Edited by Piro

5 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

People are already modding these games on PC in an attempt to fix them... :prismkek:

DMCA in 3,2,1......

So IGN gave DE 5/10, which for them is very interesting. This quote from their review really also got through to me:

"I can’t help but wonder how different this re-released collection could have been had the publisher issued talented members of the GTA modding community employment contracts rather than cease and desist letters."

Oof. What a shame. 

ShadowOfThePast
15 hours ago, Moth said:

The game looks like they have spent a maximum of 500k on the development and the rest went into a sink hole that are music licenses and what not. The standards of the Triloggy don't even meet 1 million for a project itself, of course excluding licenses and so on.

I have a feeling that if Take-Two ever changes their minds about modding GTA games, they'll undo the DMCA takedowns on mods of old GTA games, but with a catch: they'll probably take a note from Bethesda and come up with a Creation Club-like system where players on the Rockstar Games Social Club can share their mods of GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption II with Rockstar's approval, both free and paid, with the latter earning 40% revenue for Rockstar/Take-Two and 60% revenue for the modders.

On second thought, it might sound like a bad idea, considering how unpopular that idea was when Bethesda launched the Creation Club.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA

To piggyback off a post in a different thread, I also had a thought...

On 11/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jason said:

Publishers run almost the entirety of the AAA industry these days. They either own the studios that make the games, or contract them and fund it so much that they have a lot of influence.

Games are green lit based on how well they can sell or monetise based on data they harvest. Look at Ubisoft for example, they make their games to a formula that they know will sell and have staved off making a new Splinter Cell for yonks cause they had no idea how to do it in a way that'd sell the numbers they want these days. EA wanting every one of their games to have a monetisable asset, or a "Ultimate Team".

The BR craze is a good example, Fortnite came to console and was a giant hit and immediatelly it had publishers sprawing to see what what IP's and studios they could use to pump out a BR, leading to countless BR games from AAA publishers that were complete failures, like Ubisoft's Hyperscape. The MOBA craze was the same, publishers scrambling to get their own version out and using their IP's and studios to give it some prestige to use a selling point. Remasters are just the latest craze everyone wants in on because there's been some genuinely good ones (more often than not these are proper remakes, but the suits are clueless) and the result is we get stuff like this.

Individual studios owned by publishers just don't have the freedom they once had, none of them do. That doesn't mean they should be given a free pass, cause releasing games that are just broken, unoptimised, unbalanced or whatever is on them as well but AAA publishers are the real rot of the industry for me.

At times like this, Rockstar hiring modders to do the remastering properly might as well be a waste of time. Take-Turd already has a chip on their shoulder to begin with, but just imagine the inhumane working conditions and impossible deadlines they would impose, before proceeding to blame said modders for not doing it well enough for their arbitrary standards, while they themselves will never have it in them to look in the mirror for personal improvement.

AAA releases have ruined gaming.

ShadowOfThePast
1 hour ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

I have a feeling that if Take-Two ever changes their minds about modding GTA games, they'll undo the DMCA takedowns on mods of old GTA games, but with a catch: they'll probably take a note from Bethesda and come up with a Creation Club-like system where players on the Rockstar Games Social Club can share their mods of GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption II with Rockstar's approval, both free and paid, with the latter earning 40% revenue for Rockstar/Take-Two and 60% revenue for the modders.

On second thought, it might sound like a bad idea, considering how unpopular that idea was when Bethesda launched the Creation Club.

In my opinion, not really, especially a company like EA or T2 who likes toooo much money. Rockstar/T2 would rather burry a good mod and fine its creator for millions of dollars or at least attempt to, they are too inept on everything they do for the past years and this proposed concept would sound like inviting non-existing aliens to their own home, 0% of it happening. Dan Houser left for a reason.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pootispowse said:

So IGN gave DE 5/10, which for them is very interesting. This quote from their review really also got through to me:

"I can’t help but wonder how different this re-released collection could have been had the publisher issued talented members of the GTA modding community employment contracts rather than cease and desist letters."

Oof. What a shame. 

What's up with all these crappy outlets actually making good posts? Kotaku standing for mdoders, IGN mentioning modders. Has the blind bootlicking come to end?

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

ShadowOfThePast
1 hour ago, GhettoJesus said:

What's up with all these crappy outlets actually making good posts? Kotaku standing for mdoders, IGN mentioning modders. Has the blind bootlicking come to end?

My guess would be, since Rockstar haven't sent them a review copy, they can be objective as they want and get away without being blacklisted. Also, if Rockstar had to blacklist anyone, they would need to do it for nearly every gaming outlet as everyone are sh*tting at the masterpiece Trilogy that it is. :kekw: :kekw:

2 hours ago, ShadowOfThePast said:

If Rockstar had to blacklist anyone, they would need to do it for nearly every gaming outlet as everyone are sh*tting at the masterpiece Trilogy that it is.

Not to mention that there are corrupt game journalists out there. 2K bribed game journalists to give NBA 2K18 a good review whilst gamers gave it a bad one. At least even media outlets care about modding, too. It's a good thing IGN gave it a Mediocre rating, Trilogy Definitives don't have any soul.

21 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

They see which way the wind is blowing. The fact that the terrible quality of these releases became viral pretty quickly guaranteed that they'd want to avoid being the odds ones out.

7 minutes ago, Jax765 said:

The fact that the terrible quality of these releases became viral pretty quickly

Yeah, every single person on YouTube (not just ENXGMA) called out every single bug on those Defective Editions. But I don't think Rockstar would care fixing those either. Only modders would. Then, if someone does anything better than the developer, Rockstar will cry on Take-Turd and slap passionate modders with DMCAs. 100% crab mentality right there, guys.

Edited by DodgeSomrs

So R* finally decided to bring the OG versions back to PC (albeit through their launcher). What? *Not* having them available for sale is what's causing "harm" now? Who knew! Makes you wonder if their stance on modding will reverse as well but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

20 minutes ago, guard3 said:

Makes you wonder if their stance on modding will reverse as well but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Me either, though. They thought delisting the OGs and make the Defectives the only GTAs is a good thing, just everything for $$$. Due to the fact that the OGs have trouble running on modern hardware (because the OGs use RenderWare), Rockstar should beg on modders now and start hiring them since they're going to put the OGs back as an apology that no one wants to accept. 

It's a good thing Silent is not making a Silent Patch for the Defectives, that's Rockstar and GSG's responsibility, not his. And kudos to those Brazilian GTA modders at MixMods, they've been improving the Definitive's Experience right now.

Edited by DodgeSomrs

Rockstar's ""apology"" is one of the worse examples of corporate speak I've seen yet.

No mention of the modding situation, No mention of the altered agreement, No mention of the shady cash-grabbing practices - just an apology and the promise to bring back the OG trilogies back to the Rockstar Store (not Steam, just on Rockstar's buggy launcher)

For once I know people are gonna buy into this. They should at the very least restore the OGs on steam instead of doing an impression of a person expressing regret.

3 hours ago, guard3 said:

So R* finally decided to bring the OG versions back to PC (albeit through their launcher). What? *Not* having them available for sale is what's causing "harm" now? Who knew! Makes you wonder if their stance on modding will reverse as well but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

That's extraordinary

RashFaustinho

If I can be honest... I know it's bad thing to be happy about the failure of someone else, but I'm relieved that Rockstar is FINALLY facing a monetary loss after all they've done. Starting from GTA Online to suing the modders.

I hope GTA Undergrounds developers are enjoying the just dessert as much as I am doing now, I loved that mod.

Edited by RashFaustinho

Way lower than Rockstar usual quality standards, this Remastered GTA Trilogy Collection shouldn't have been released in it's current state, which is nothing less than a pale and massacred copy of the original masterpieces released in the 2000's.

The GTA franchise deserves way better quality and polish than this, especially when it's coming from R* Games, one of the best videogame studios of its time and who is used to develop his games as needed.

Also, it's very saddening to see how the amazing GTA modding community who is capable of making incredible creations and even fixes for old games being treated like that by this company while they're only passionate and dedicated fans who want nothing but the best for their beloved franchise, most of the times without the idea of piracy or hacking, and for FREE.

Rockstar Games is one of the leaders of the videogame market and should take the time to reconsider its policy regarding not only the modding community, who is capable of making outstanding creations and tweaks, but also the remaster of their own games who shouldn't be given to a third-party studio with way less means to make games as the same quality as Rockstar Games.

Thanks for reading me, and please consider this very seriously in the future.

Best Regards from a very concerned fan.