4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V has Worst story as a Grand Theft Auto game

GroveStGTAV

GroveStGTAV

Focusing on 3 characters is fun. But in my opinion, their story is worst Grand Theft Auto story ever been made. Their story between FIB is boring and not enough criminal characters in the game even comparing to the Vice City.

GTA IV has 3 main characters too with DLCs. But each one has got their own story. GTA V could'a been like this. 15-20 mission about Trevor versus Chinese, Aztecas and bikers gang. 15-20 mission about Franklin and Lamar versus Ballas. 15-20 mission about Michael recruiting hired guns for his Heists business with Lester or missions for Martin Madrozo etc.

Also hired guns for heists are bunch of dummies. even our dude Packie McReary. GTA V at least should have been 1 mission for the each heist recruit. Like Vagos member Gustavo Mota. Franklin could recruit him. But they gave us 69 f*cking missions for their biggest game. 

After some progress in the GTA V's story. every character looks same to you and you dont even care which one you are playing with anymore

even The Ballad of Gay Tony's small story with 26 missions are better than GTA V as a Grand Theft Auto game. 

Edited by GroveStGTAV

CynicalMexican

I feel the biggest flaw in GTA 5's story telling is that it tries to do too much with too little.

Not only do we have 3 protags, but we have so many different enemies on screen at the same time. The Triads, the O'Neill Bros, Haines, Weston, Madrazo, the Ballas for a bit, the Lost MC, etc. None of it is particularly cohesive or consistent.

The game was way too ambitious, yet not even very ambitious. A paradox.

Rico Suave

My main complaints are that you spend too much time doing chores for the government and the antagonists don't feel like true enemies. I didn't feel much motivation to get revenge.

• Like 8

I finished story and I already knew that I will never touch it again. I have only probably 110 hours in GTA V and I quit after I did 100% .

That was for me very sad, that I will ever experience boredom in GTA game and no thinking of replay.

Kris194
On 7/27/2021 at 3:53 AM, CynicalMexican said:

I feel the biggest flaw in GTA 5's story telling is that it tries to do too much with too little.

Not only do we have 3 protags, but we have so many different enemies on screen at the same time. The Triads, the O'Neill Bros, Haines, Weston, Madrazo, the Ballas for a bit, the Lost MC, etc. None of it is particularly cohesive or consistent.

GTA V was definitely way, way too short for everything it tried to do. Not only it feels like R* tried to tell three if not even 4 stories but on top of that just like you mentioned there are many completely different from each other enemies in this game and for that reason almost nothing feels really meaningful. It's like a collection of memories of different people. I hope, that they will never, ever repeat that mistake.

Edited by Kris194

Jabalous

It didn't feel like a proper Grand Theft Auto story with its focus on terrorism, FIB and IAA stories. The writers could have focused on crime related to the drug and human trafficking across the southern border and it'd have been a better, more fitting story.

Rico Suave
On 7/31/2021 at 3:53 PM, Jabalous said:

It didn't feel like a proper Grand Theft Auto story with its focus on terrorism, FIB and IAA stories. The writers could have focused on crime related to the drug and human trafficking across the southern border and it'd have been a better, more fitting story.

I never want to work for the government again. The game should have been about what they said it was supposed to be about which is the pursuit of the almighty dollar. 

Ser_Salty
On 7/31/2021 at 10:48 PM, Rico Suave said:

I never want to work for the government again. The game should have been about what they said it was supposed to be about which is the pursuit of the almighty dollar. 

I like how they're like "This NPC has a lower cut, but also lower skill, however! if you use them their skills will improve for future heists but their cut won't change!" and then it takes 2 heists for them to become useful but there's only like 3 heists in the game where you can use them. Also the payouts are so ridiculous with barely anything to spend it on (the only really expensive things are the Z Type and the country club) that it really doesn't matter lol

They've been making games for 25 years or something like that now and they still can't balance money. They give you too much in singleplayer and too little in Online. Always baffles me how much side content they put in that is there for making money, but you never need money, ever.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:36 AM, GroveStGTAV said:

But they gave us 69 f*cking missions for their biggest game.

This 69 mission count also includes:
- 1 Jewel Store heist setup (Carbine Rifles (loud)/Bugstars Equipment (smart))
- 1 Merryweather heist setup (Minisub)
- 5 Blitz Play heist setups (Masks, Boiler Suits, Trash Truck, Tow Truck & Getaway Car)
- 1 Paleto Score heist setup (Military Hardware)
- 2 Big Score heist setups (Driller & Sidetracked (obvious)/Stingers & Gauntlet (subtle))
- 4 optional payphone assassinations for Lester

The amount of actual story/character missions is closer to 55, and that just isn't enough for 3 protagonists.

Has anybody ever finds super bizzare, that almost every GTA IV character appear in same time in Southern SA mostly to be killed, or how Trevor and Michael live so close to each other?

Its like soap opera most of times, only it sometimes needs laugh track maybe in E&E...

• Like 7

I do like GTA V's story. I think it's good and fun.

Is it the best? No. IV, San Andreas and Vice City are definitely better stories in my opinion.

The game feels too short for everything it is trying to accomplish. As a result it feels rushed at times and areas/characters feel under developed but are considered important by the narrative. Particularly all the enemies and antagonists and doubly so if you choose The Third Way ending. There's so many loose ends tied up there that you could probably have made three separate games based on each protaganist and their various enemies and given us a more richer experience in the process. I remember the first time I played that ending and I was struggling to recall who Stretch was because we've literally only seen him once prior to that although he influences the events of certain missions. It feels like there should have been more there to have earned the importance of being part of that final mission. Same with Wei Cheng. It just feels like they were minor inconveniences rather than loose ends. But had the game been focussed solely on Franklin then you could have developed Stretch further and had the game focussed solely of Trevor the same could have been done for Wei Cheng.

CynicalMexican
On 8/1/2021 at 6:55 AM, Ondr4H said:

Has anybody ever finds super bizzare, that almost every GTA IV character appear in same time in Southern SA mostly to be killed, or how Trevor and Michael live so close to each other?

Its like soap opera most of times, only it sometimes needs laugh track maybe in E&E...

I think it's kinda forced how many GTA 4 characters ended up in Los Santos.

What's stopping them from going to Vice City (Miami), San Fierro (San Francisco), Las Venturas (Las Vegas), Lost Heaven (Chicago), New Bordeaux (New Orleans), Empire Bay (Boston), or somewhere else in the geographic Take Two universe. Are they all just gravitating towards Los Santos?

I'd rather if most of it was largely just left alone. Some additions (such as the Lost) just f*ck up the canon entirely. 

Cutter De Blanc

Maybe from the 3D/HD era. I didn't think GTA 1 and 2 even had much of a storyline

It's a little better than GTA3 storyline too I think

CynicalMexican

If we're being honest, many of the 3D Universe games weren't fleshed out much. 

I can't help but feel if we do get a remasters, we get way more immersion. 

PreciousWall

Article from 2012:

https://www.videogamer.com/news/gta-5-you-play-as-both-the-protagonist-and-the-antagonist-says-rockstar/

Rockstar intention was "The Protagonist is the Antagonist" concept (It's Michael or Trevor in the end) yet they failed to deliver.

Sure, the trio has personality and characters but Franklin's backstory is very underdeveloped, antagonists that barely we even knew, 

they focused too much on the Michael & Trevor drama

For those saying the game felt rushed, it was called "Rush" internally either way (was it on rush while in development?)

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Rush_Casting_Call

Edited by PreciousWall
  • Like 2

The Tracker
1 minute ago, PreciousWall said:

For those saying the game felt rushed, it was called "Rush" internally either way (was it on rush while in development?)

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Rush_Casting_Call

Then now I understand why RDR2 was called remorse :kekw: (From GTA V's messy storyline :kekw:).

Would like to know which were the project names for GTA IV and RDR1. 

• Like 3

TheSantader25

I think only SA and IV beat it personally and I prefer the story to IV even though it feels like IV is objectively better written so no. I didn't think it was the worst at all

CynicalMexican
2 hours ago, The Tracker said:

Then now I understand why RDR2 was called remorse :kekw: (From GTA V's messy storyline :kekw:).

Would like to know which were the project names for GTA IV and RDR1. 

I've read that the somber mood in GTA 4 was partly influenced by how stressful the Iced Coffee controversy was on the morale of the company.

rjmthe2nd
On 7/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, Rico Suave said:

My main complaints are that you spend too much time doing chores for the government and the antagonists don't feel like true enemies. I didn't feel much motivation to get revenge.

Devin Weston and Haines shouldn't have been in the game, Dave should've been more of an antagonist for Michael that black mails him into doing heists to pay off Madrazo for him, threatening Michael by telling him he has eyes on him and his family 

Franklin should've met Michael and Trevor in the middle of the game, all of his missions being families / ballas / vagos focused before he finally quits and meets Michael. His antagonist would be Stretch but more developed, they could've had Stretch be a big time snitch that's jealous of both Lamar and Franklin so he frames them for homicides, placing Lamar in prison and Franklin realizing what's going on, Stretch could also be an informant for Dave to tie Michael and Franklins story together.

that's what they could've done instead of those two unmemorable antagonists.

Edited by rjmthe2nd

Wolfman_

Honestly the 3D era stories aren't that much of a big deal. Let's take GTA San Andreas as an example. It's big, epic, +100 missions and iconic characters, but there's not much depth into it.

GTA IV and GTA V stories are no masterpieces as well. Just look at other great storywise games like Red Dead or The Last of Us, IV and V are not even close. However, we can say that there is a effort in trying to apply some sort of depthness and overall meaning in a thematic sense.

In other words... what I'm trying to say is that even if IV and V stories are flawed there is some effort into trying to make them thoughtful and interesting, unlike the 3D era games where everything is over simplistic.

So that's why I can't agree with you when you say that V has the worst story of all the GTAs. My opinion, obviousy.

Edited by Wolfman_
English.
  • Like 6

CynicalMexican
4 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

Honestly the 3D era stories aren't that much of a big deal. Let's take GTA San Andreas as an example. It's big, epic, +100 missions and iconic characters, but there's not much depth into it.

GTA IV and GTA V stories are no masterpieces as well. Just look at other great storywise games like Red Dead or The Last of Us, IV and V are not even close. However, we can say that there is some effort in trying to apply some sort of depthness and overall meaning in a thematic sense.

In other words... what I'm trying to say is that even if IV and V stories are flawed there is some effort into trying to make them thoughtful and interesting, unlike the 3D era games where everything is over simplistic.

So that's why I can't agree with you when you say that V has the worst story of all the GTAs. My opinion, obviousy.

We can disagree with GTA 4 but I more or less agree with what you've said.

With the 3D Universe games a lot of events, and much of the context surrounding them, it's pretty much happenstance with no real explanation. Admittedly video game story telling isn't as big as it is today, but there's such a lack of context in these games that you basically have to rely on headcanon.

At least in GTA 5 you get a lot of context, with a freaking prologue and tons of dialogue. 

MiamiViceCity1986

For me what's tragic about GTA V's story is it actually has all the potential of being way better than it ended up being. Some of the best dialogue in the series and on paper multiple protagonists should've been an easy win considering how well it was pulled off with GTAIV/EFLC (albeit a slightly different format), but the way it's executed leaves a lot to be desired for.

Granted the 3D era stories are flawed, but they didn't have a bench mark to follow like GTA V did after GTA IV's splendid and beautifully crafted story even non-GTA IV fans acknowledge as the best in the series. For what they are they're not that bad. 

Anyway I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying GTA V's story. There are parts I enjoy too, but it still feels inconsistent, poorly paced and treats certain characters like sh*t (even its own creations). It feels like a big budget Hollywood production with high production values on the surface, but some of the writing ends up feeling cringy as all f*ck.

To me it's a case of ambition being failed by execution.

Way too short, not fleshed out enough. Like everyone else has said.

I'm still in full belief that the story was originally a bit more different, and Trevor was more of an actual (playable) antagonist to Michael. The beta "Fame or Shame" cutscene dialogue has Trevor acting a lot more like how he acts in his intro missions in Blaine County, as opposed to how he becomes a caricature when he reaches Los Santos in the version we got. Just like how Dan Houser said we'd essentially play as "the antagonist," and the perceived antagonist would "flip back and forth." Which still sort of happens, but just barely.

With the story being longer, and everything being more fleshed out, along with having Trevor be an actual threat to Michael while also getting to play as him and watch that side of the story develop as well, would have certainly made for quite an ambitious story, which I believe was the original goal.

Instead we just got a long demo for GTAO.

4 hours ago, cp1dell said:

I'm still in full belief that the story was originally a bit more different, and Trevor was more of an actual (playable) antagonist to Michael. The beta "Fame or Shame" cutscene dialogue has Trevor acting a lot more like how he acts in his intro missions in Blaine County, as opposed to how he becomes a caricature when he reaches Los Santos in the version we got. Just like how Dan Houser said we'd essentially play as "the antagonist," and the perceived antagonist would "flip back and forth." Which still sort of happens, but just barely.

Any chance you can share a link to this? I don't think I've ever heard it before. I assume it's from the devkit leak? I'm in full agreement though. Dan Houser is notorious for rewrites and all kinds of sh*t must have changed, especially after Slink Johnson's arrest.

_Ziolek_
On 7/27/2021 at 3:53 AM, CynicalMexican said:

The game was way too ambitious, yet not even very ambitious. A paradox.

that is so true 

• Like 3

SanFierroTriad

I don't mind working for the government and having them as the antagonist, but the Devin Weston arc didn't need to be in the game at all.

And I also think the whole "making movies" with Solomon Richards was completely stupid and unnecessary.

Edited by SanFierroTriad

On 8/14/2021 at 11:01 AM, SanFierroTriad said:

And I also think the whole "making movies" with Solomon Richards was completely stupid and unnecessary.

Not really, it was IMO one of the strongest points of GTA V story. It added a lot of character both to the GTA V and Michael's personality. It was really great to see Michael making his dream come true and his excitement about it :) It seems, that some people don't know what makes a good story, definitely not just some stupid "shooty, shooty". If that's all someone cares about then I would suggest to go and play GTA Online.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 4

CynicalMexican
8 hours ago, Kris194 said:

Not really, it was IMO one of the strongest points of GTA V story. It added a lot of character both to the GTA V and Michael's personality. It was really great to see Michael making his dream come true and his excitement about it :) It seems, that some people don't know what makes a good story, definitely not just some stupid "shooty, shooty". If that's all someone cares about then I would suggest to go and play GTA Online.

I don't think it was bad either, especially since we got to kill that c*nt Rocco once and for all. One of the most satisfying kills in GTA 5.

But as we've said before, there's just a whole lot going on at the same time that it's easy for it to get lost in all of it. Story needed way more missions. IMO the movies stuff was one of the better plotlines of GTA 5, the Housers' hard-on for Michael shining.

I was actually in the same boat thinking GTA 5 story was dry compared to GTA 4 and even games before.

However while on YouTube one day I saw this video 

GTA 5 Movie

This is all the GTA cut scenes put together and edited nicely I watched the full 5 hour video.

It completely changed my mind they did very well on the story and actually made me feel like I was watching a movie. Rockstar did do well on this game it just moved to quickly compared to the other GTA's 

ddarko12

The story is boring. More action than substance, painfully unlikable characters (nobody who kills people is supposed to be great in a general sense, but you're supposed to humanize them and show them as the actual people they are). Gameplay was sacrificed just to make the story characters seem more realistic. No real mob or mafia storylines aside from that stupid rich punk threatening Michael... I'm like any antagonist in GTA IV would've just killed him and not cared because he's not intimidating. Neither is Trevor, he belongs in a mental institution. It's unrealistic how nobody has snapped is scrawny ass in half, he's just... how is he even here? It's a stupid storyline, I'm sorry. And I feel like it's all the result of people whining about how grey and serious GTA IV was. Sure going for a fun, Hollywood style storyline would work, but this doesn't feel like one of those timeless action thrillers. It feels like one of those sh*tty action movies where nobody cares about the story or the characters, just the special effects, and it got 4/10 stars and at best you watch it to pass time.

Edited by ddarko12