The Grand Theft Auto VI ""Leak"" Archive

Len Lfc

11 minutes ago, Len Lfc said:

Yeah, that was Leslie. Although, Miami wasn't the least likely, IIRC. The "What's new?" wasn't a dismissive remark, but rather a genuine question. Which is quite exciting.

I think you're right. I guess my brain just connected his words to that making me assume everyone at R* thought modern day Vice City isn't "interesting" lol

40 minutes ago, Len Lfc said:

Because these games are done by 'Rockstar Sudios', now. It used to be each studio would work on their own games and why we got a game every year from Rockstar. But after GTA V, they all worked on one game (RDR2) together. So if RDR2 is being worked on by everyone, GTA VI wouldn't have the full focus of all their studios until RDR2 is wrapping up in 2018. Similar with RDR2, post GTA V. While Rockstar are finalizing GTA V, RDR2 wasn't in full production across all studios until GTA V released. Roger Clark didn't begin shooting until August 2013. So RDR2 wasn't really in development for 8 year, not exactly. That is my point. Development is just a broad term. But we're getting lost on the point that Jason only said GTA VI was early in development in around April 2020, which I think is fair to say. Jason speak to actual developers who know more than us. If who he spoke to told him it was still early in development, then sorry but that was true.

"Rockstar Studios" started with Max Payne 3, it was a Rockstar Studios production. while that game was in dev by all studios, GTAV was also in full dev, Rockstar mentioned that themselves when it was revealed. Also, I am not sure how are you relating Roger Clark's performence to the start of full production, models, map design and whatnot could have started before they got him in there.

There was a reference to GTAV in TBOGT, Los Santos was in Fun Land, which means that by 2009, Los Santos was already picked and being worked on for GTAV, and by 2013, that would give  GTAV about what? 4-5 years of dev time.

This whole thing basically shows how inconsistent the whole "early dev" and "full dev" actually is.

Edited by The_Ghost
  • Bruh 1

37 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

There was a reference to GTAV in TBOGT, Los Santos was in Fun Land, which means that by 2009, Los Santos was already picked and being worked on for GTAV

I'm well aware of that. I have the leaked bug log, in which the first build of GTA V was dated to April 2009. Not sure what reference to Los Santos in TBoG you're referring to. But if it's the one I'm thinking of, that many people often bring up, that one isn't true. Los Santos in Fun Land was just a fairground ride, and actually had Vinewood from San Andreas on it. And all the cities are referenced in their games. It's absolutely true that GTA V was being worked on right after IV, but not every reference is directly meaning GTA V. That's just immersive worldbuilding.

jlm5lRl.png

🌴                    🌴                    🌴                     🌴                    🌴                    🌴 

20 minutes ago, Len Lfc said:

I'm well aware of that. I have the leaked bug log, in which the first build of GTA V was dated to April 2009. Not sure what reference to Los Santos in TBoG you're referring to. But if it's the one I'm thinking of, that many people often bring up, that one isn't true. Los Santos in Fun Land was just a fairground ride, and actually had Vinewood from San Andreas on it. And all the cities are referenced in their games. It's absolutely true that GTA V was being worked on right after IV, but not every reference is directly meaning GTA V. That's just immersive worldbuilding.

I am not sure if it's even worth it to continue with this discussion since you just decided to completely dismiss this for whatever reason.

d93AQi2.jpg

trailer1_062.jpg

trailer1_061.jpg

I guess we pick and choose what goes with our narratives at the end of the day.

Either way, I don't care what he actually means by early dev and full dev (he is inconsistent) and I don't believe that GTAVI will have less dev time than RDR2 did, I think they have been working on it for a whole lot longer than that.

WanderLucky
3 hours ago, Tez2 said:

Then, around late 2018 / early 2019, VI went thru a reboot.

Reveal hidden contents

sorry for my ignorance on this, but what does it mean exactly? Did they recreate the game's map, the entire story or something like that?

Edited by WanderLucky

Spider-Vice

It could mean anything. Allegedly RDR2 also went through a "reboot" at some point, it doesn't mean they're scrapping the entire game, just rethinking parts of it, etc.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

RDR2 probably came a worldwide studio project only after the development problems - like Max Payne 3

"Some development on VI since 2014" means Jorge ain't debunked yet, but was VI rebooted and Jorge's character was scrapped?

from my understanding this "gta 6 got a reboot" stuff is the point where they simply decided not to go all in with 4 protags and 3 cities and south america etc, so they cut it and rewrote some stuff, not like a "full" reboot, but a "normal" process in the planning and making of a very ambitious game

Spider-Vice
4 hours ago, GRANDHEIST said:

RDR2 probably came a worldwide studio project only after the development problems - like Max Payne 3

"Some development on VI since 2014" means Jorge ain't debunked yet, but was VI rebooted and Jorge's character was scrapped?

Nah. If he was doing mocap etc it seems to me he was locked in already. It's probably what Punkd said above, or similar.

image.png

From what we know, Rockstar basically reduced the scope of the game from insanely large to large, for a more manageable scope at launch, which will be expanded to the original form via post-launch updates if everything goes right.

I hardly believe they canned large chunks of produced material, as that could potentially create issues and increase their workload even further. Most of those ideas never fully left the drawing board, I assume.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Either way, I don't care what he actually means by early dev and full dev (he is inconsistent) and I don't believe that GTAVI will have less dev time than RDR2 did, I think they have been working on it for a whole lot longer than that.

If you're happy to assume that GTA VI is still at least a couple of years from release, GTA VI will have taken the longest of any game Rockstar have produced.

The math is pretty simple. If the game is two years away, that will have made it 6 years since a mainline release. Their longest to date is a 5 year gap, from GTA V to RDR2.

What you do need to weigh up though is covid and the lockdowns that came with it. Two years of covid and remote work might only equal 6 months of in house work in terms of productivity. So it's hard to tell.

It is a game they certainly will have worked on the longest, but the amount of work that has gone into it is another question. I think to be safe I would just assume it will equal RDR2 in terms of scope.

Edited by DisCrafted

1 minute ago, DisCrafted said:

My question is how will they tackle balancing work between these potential post-launch updates and their next projects?

That's pretty much impossible to predict unless you know exactly what's happening at Rockstar at any given moment.

I'd imagine more than half of their team will move on to future projects when VI comes out, while the other half takes care of the post-launch content for 2-3 years. Let's be honest, when the core technology and tools are developed, a relatively smaller team could churn out content at a faster rate. Rockstar's teams would grow in number too.

After that, it will be all hands on deck for their next game again. They'd be better prepared too, and hopefully, there's no pandemic this time around.

And all of this talk is based on possible single player expansions, when there's no certainty of that happening. GTAO would've received support regardless, so that doesn't change anything.

3 minutes ago, Zapper said:

That's pretty much impossible to predict unless you know exactly what's happening at Rockstar at any given moment.

I'd imagine more than half of their team will move on to future projects when VI comes out, while the other half takes care of the post-launch content for 2-3 years. Let's be honest, when the core technology and tools are developed, a relatively smaller team could churn out content at a faster rate. Rockstar's teams would grow in number too.

After that, it will be all hands on deck for their next game again. They'd be better prepared too, and hopefully, there's no pandemic this time around.

And all of this talk is based on possible single player expansions, when there's no certainty of that happening. GTAO would've received support regardless, so that doesn't change anything.

Basically the same way they produced huge updates for GTA Online whilst simultaneously working as a full studio on RDR2 for 5 years up until 2018.

5 hours ago, Punkd said:

from my understanding this "gta 6 got a reboot" stuff is the point where they simply decided not to go all in with 4 protags and 3 cities and south america etc, so they cut it and rewrote some stuff, not like a "full" reboot, but a "normal" process in the planning and making of a very ambitious game

That's why Dan left. He wrote a story for GTA 6 taking into account several cities and heroes, and later Rockstar decided to scale down the game, as a result they had to rewrite the storyline, which Dan apparently didn't want to do. IMHO.
I don't think that it's easy to "cut down some stuff" when u do have to take away 2 cities and 2 protagonists... too much stuff to rewrote, but I hope they'll do well.

Edited by DisCrafted

10 minutes ago, DisCrafted said:

"Expanding" or "evolving" the map sounds a lot more complicated than some GTAO update though. Cayo Perico is one of the biggest GTAO updates but even that was an island and not a whole city or whatever.

Yes, you are correct, it is more work and more complicated.

GTA Online updates, they work on them as time goes on.

For these post launch massive city updates, the likelihood is the majority of the groundwork for them will have already been done prior to release. They aren't going to make a city from scratch after the game comes out. At least not for the first few years. They might burn one out in the background, sure.

If you think of it like multiple games. Let's say they have been building three cities for the game. One of the cities is the priority for the story and main release of the game and is preventing them finalising the other two. Getting the priority city out of the door means they can continue and finalise work on the other two.

I can imagine the other cities are done to the extent that they can feature parts of those maps in a linear fashion in the main story upon release, but more work is required on them for them to be accessible as an open world.

Edited by DarkDayz

7 minutes ago, shimontec said:

That's why Dan left. He wrote a story for GTA 6 taking into account several cities and heroes, and later Rockstar decided to scale down the game, as a result they had to rewrite the storyline, which Dan apparently didn't want to do. IMHO.
I don't think that it's easy to "cut down some stuff" when u do have to take away 2 cities and 2 protagonists... too much stuff to rewrote, but I hope they'll do well.

3 cities with 4 protags sounds RIDICULOUSLY ambitious. If anything those must've been SUPER early plans. Ideas that were just words on paper but didn't go anywhere. The Project Americas leak we had in early 2018 (when Dan was still very much at R*) was pretty close to what we heard again recently minus the South America parts so nah... that doesn't make sense.

Once again, scaling down a project's scale is nothing new. It's just that these early concepts/ideas are usually not revealed to the public in such a manner and as a result, people don't have a clue about what a project's original ambitions were "supposed" to be.

• Like 2

Spider-Vice
42 minutes ago, shimontec said:

No it's not considering every single creative piece goes through a phase like this. Sometimes you just have to scale it down. There are games out there based on books (both with the same writers) that had to be massively scaled down for the game, for example. The writers didn't quit because of that.

• Like 2

image.png

Phantomkick
7 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

No it's not considering every single creative piece goes through a phase like this. Sometimes you just have to scale it down. There are games out there based on books (both with the same writers) that had to be massively scaled down for the game, for example. The writers didn't quit because of that.

True, just like how GTA IV were originally "New York and surrounding upstate areas"

OREOBOREALIS
1 hour ago, shimontec said:

damn i hope thats not true what happened😔

Was really expecting south america map.

Just vc probably then..

If thats the case no wonder why dan left

I don't mind single city, though i would say with having at least some other city planes have more sense....
Curious about the 4 protags tough, wonder if it would be like 4 independed single city storylines or interweened with each other, i kinda like the idea of having gta v switch but it's for like 4 different campaigns that you can do at the same time, kinda like a tv show of sorts.

5 hours ago, shimontec said:

If scaling down somehow counts as a reason for Dan leaving, then he definitely would've left during GTA V's development and RDR2's

Spider-Vice

Yeah, considering RDR2 was gonna have Mexico... This happens with every project ever, one thing is what is ambitioned and planned in a design document/pre-production, another is what actually comes out after other decisions are made.

• Like 2

image.png

Honestly I’d be quite unhappy if they ultimately decide not to add any new cities to the game. I’m ok with the fact that initially we’re just gonna have Vice City, but after that, I really think they need to add at least another big city. I cannot even fathom how we’re gonna go through another decade or even more with a map as big as GTA V’s.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Drummer98 said:

Honestly I’d be quite unhappy if they ultimately decide not to add any new cities to the game. I’m ok with the fact that initially we’re just gonna have Vice City, but after that, I really think they need to add at least another big city. I cannot even fathom how we’re gonna go through another decade or even more with a map as big as GTA V’s.

I wish that we are not stuck for another decade in Vice City as happened with Los Santos, if they are going to be putting on such a repetitive and monotonous fashion of dying of disgust in the same limited city and that there are no other islands and their surroundings, it would seem something stupid and not knowing how to perfectly exploit the PS5/Xbox S/X hardware, it should flow naturally and organically, it's funny that even a 2004 game like San Andreas or RDR2 of 2018 have that replayability factor that is thrown so much less in the latest GTA games.

If they really cared about making a bigger-scale game, there would be no complaints about why V's map felt so wasted and a pitiful and unfortunate map design that doesn't have something iconic like it does with previous games.

I hope that it is worth what they are going to try to do with this high-definition itinerary of Vice City and stop making regrettable and meaningless excuses either from the mouths of R* or T2 that yes crunch, rushing and nonsense that they do not they come to the case.

Variety is missing and the good one that invites you to look at the entire landscape of Florida in this case of Vice City and not be limited to a single part of the map, as long as we have it complete and detailed there will be time to expand it with the the passage of time as they have said here, doing it like World of Warcraft and Fortnite, significant changes in the map that are really worthwhile, although they will reserve it for the Online than the Singeplayer as such.

I hope that our stay in the City of the Vice is not insufferable and although it may be the same over the years, with the changes that can be added to it, it would be a breath of fresh air and that it would encourage you to stay longer and explore, but I am afraid that they will try to make empty and meaningless promises like the dlc of V's story mode that they spent so much time talking about and that in the end they did not do it after all, I am afraid of precisely that, the lack of desire and motivation of R* anyway whether or not they are following T2 guidelines, it's just another low blow that makes you more angrier...

Edited by Alvaroshi

I don’t understand how after 10 years all we are going to get is just Vice City and the surrounding areas. I was looking forward for the game to contain southern Florida along with some Caribbean islands like Cuba and Jamaica and some parts of South America like Rio De Janeiro. In all honesty this is hugely disappointing news so far regarding the map.

Edited by Gtaman_92
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1

19 minutes ago, Gtaman_92 said:

I don’t understand how after 10 years all we are going to get is just Vice City and the surrounding areas. I was looking forward for the game to contain southern Florida along with some Caribbean islands like Cuba and Jamaica and some parts of South America like Rio De Janeiro. In all honesty this is hugely disappointing news so far regarding the map.

They are still rumors and alleged "leaks", if this turns out to be true because it is easier and cheaper for this ppl to apply a GTA V 2.0, don't count on me

Spider-Vice
1 hour ago, Gtaman_92 said:

for the game to contain southern Florida along with some Caribbean islands

We don't know what Vice City means in this day and age though. It could very well be most of Southern Florida. The comparison in the article I think was more to say "it's more likely it'll be a part of Florida than a bunch of different cities in different US states".

We can still get Caribbean islands.

• Like 2

image.png

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but shouldn't we try to keep this thread for recording leaks, discoveries, official information, etc, rather than discussion and speculation? 

(And yes, I know my posting here too doesn't help with that 🤣😛)

• Like 5