1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Official "GTA IV didn't have bad graphics for its time" Thread.

The Tracker

Does anybody understand those that imply GTA IV had "bad graphics" EVEN for its time? I personally don't, and I never got it, I always was impressed by the way the streets, car models, lighting, etc, looked like, specially back in 2009, of course, some elements such as NPC models, weapons, draw distance, etc, have aged pretty bad, buy overall I always found it to look pretty photorrealistical in general during its early years, I mean, can you say THIS looks bad for 2008 standards?:

I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 5

billiejoearmstrong8

Who the hell thinks that?????????????? You only have to look at the previous games to see IV's graphics were revolutionary at the time. From the perspective of when it came out you couldn't even imagine better graphics in a GTA game. I don't even think it's aged badly either, it has kind of a unique artistic style and that gives it a distinctive look that holds up better than if it was just 100% the most realistic and clear looking graphics at the time with no style.

• Like 5

I think people were unhappy with the colour palette of the game rather than feeling it's graphics werent good enough. But i may be wrong

I think GTA IV has the most distinctive graphic style in the series, I may prefer the more colourful graphics of few other GTAs but I dont know too many other games that look like IV, idk how to explain it properly but GTA IV's graphic style is iconic there is nothing quite like it I think and it looks pretty cool.

The graphics jump from San Andreas/VCS to GTA IV was mindblowing and certainly not 'bad for its time' and there may never be a jump like that again.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, Wayne Kerr said:

I think people were unhappy with the colour palette of the game rather than feeling it's graphics werent good enough. But i may be wrong

The graphics jump from San Andreas/VCS to GTA IV was mindblowing and certainly not 'bad for its time' and there may never be a jump like that again.

No, you are not wrong sir. I guess people really wantet to see as colourful game as San Andreas was, but I liked the "50 shades of grey" in GTA IV 😂 

Even tho we got new generation of consoles, still the games looks similiar to ones from the PS4/XB1 era. GTA IV was a really big jump.

Compared to most early-mid 7th gen games, GTA 4 didn't age as badly as people think graphical wise. it might be yet another victim of the "piss yellow" syndrome as i would like to call it, where every games from the era had some sort of yellow/orange/brown feel to it (MGS4, NFS MW 2005, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2...etc) but i think it compliants the gritty feel i guess. 

On the other hand, R* have unfortunately overdone the yellowness in GTA TLAD. I get they are trying to get this toxic biker gang theme going on but sometimes, it looks ridiculous.

ME0001246919_2__w830.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

In comparison, this is how IV and TBoGT looked like respectfully. The former having a more colder feel to it while the latter having a sharper and more colorful environment.

maxresdefault.jpg

RSG_TBoGT_Screenshot_MP009.jpg

So while they definitely look like they belong to the 7th gen console, it's definitely not that bad... especially compared to 3D Era where everything looked cartoonish.

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2021 at 7:25 AM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Who the hell thinks that?????????????? You only have to look at the previous games to see IV's graphics were revolutionary at the time. From the perspective of when it came out you couldn't even imagine better graphics in a GTA game. I don't even think it's aged badly either, it has kind of a unique artistic style and that gives it a distinctive look that holds up better than if it was just 100% the most realistic and clear looking graphics at the time with no style.

You wouldn't like to see how many times I have seen this opinion in GTA IV comment sections, to this day I have been arguing with many typical argumments that say how GTA IV "looked dull" "like sh*t" how it was visually "gray, boring"  or "unpolished"  or "visually unappealing"

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 4

I have pointed out already, but with a few model updates (mainly cars cand characters), as well as higher res textures, the game could be passed around as a new title. Sure, it doesn't have the nicknacks newer games love to boast about (looking at you, RDR2's volumetric clouds), but it would still look presentable.

And yeah, as other people have pointed out, the jump in quality between San Andreas and IV was a lot more than say, GTA IV to V. Hell, even GTA IV to V's next gen ports I mean, sure you can see all the details of the dirt under Trevor's nails now, but it's still the same engine doing its thing underneath.

I wish I could experience the feeling of watching GTA IV's first trailer for the first time again. sh*t was gorgeous.

billiejoearmstrong8
On 7/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, The Tracker said:

You wouldn't like to see in how many GTA IV sections I have seen this opinion, to this day I have been arguing with many typical argumments that say how GTA IV "looked dull" "like sh*t" how it was visually "gray, boring"  or "unpolished"  or "visually unappealing"

I guess that's more about not liking the artistic direction/the muted colour scheme. I personally love it, I think it gives the city a really good gritty atmosphere that fits with the story perfectly, plus there's lots of beauty to be found in the architecture and some of the nicer areas with pretty autumn leaves on the trees or the bright lights of Algonquin at night etc. But I guess not everyone sees it that way. Saying the graphics were bad quality for the time is outrageous though.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 4

60017 Silver Fox

I think most people agree that IV's graphics were top notch back then. The problem was mainly the filters which even I remember not being a fan of. Especially the DLC with Johnny in it because of the added graininess and overly yellow colours as shown by FalconKing. It didn't ruin the beauty that was/is Liberty City but it definately made it look worse for alot of people including myself.

I agree with DOUGL4S1 when he said that a bit of updating and modernising could pass the game as an acceptable modern title. Even in its current 2008 state, the game looks great so any major effort to modernise will almost guarantee it to hold its own against the more graphically dominant games of today including GTA V. If they got rid of them filters and artistic choices and put them in the options menu for those who do like it. That would be a huge positive for both sides.

I've never, ever heard anyone say that. Everyone said the game looked amazing. Hell, it STILL looks phenomenal. 

CynicalMexican

GTA 4 has aged very well IMO. The gritty cold feel of the game captures the vibe the devs were trying to create, it feels very 2008. Agree with what another user said, the game has that "orange ish" vibe that many games at the time had.

The filter makes GTA 4 look like those low quality YouTube videos from 2007-08, and honestly, that's not a bad thing lol. Game feels like a period piece.

I remember thinking that the graphics were amazing back then. Still looks good now.

• Like 3

TWIST_OF_HATE

The only real problem with IV graphics was lack of anti-aliasing, and z-fighting

So you need high resolution monitor

And you need to wait for z-fighting fix

• Like 2

CynicalMexican
On 7/24/2021 at 1:11 AM, RenegadeAngel said:

Lmao who even thinks that. It was spectacular for its time. It's pretty good even by today's standards if you play on PC.

Retrospective reviews from younger gamers or "GTA 5 BEST GAME EVAHHH" people.

I'm noticing GTA 3 is getting a lot of hate lately from the younger crowd. It may not have aged well but it was ground breaking and still has many quirks that make it unique from the rest of the games.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
CynicalMexican

Random thoughts:

I played Saints Row 2 this weekend after a LOOONG time and I have to say, GTA IV has aged so much better in graphics. While SR2 was never meant to look particularly realistic, it suffers from the "piss yellow orange" filter so strongly (so did GTA 4 but definitely not as much), and the texture/models aren't good. Not to mention lighting, shadows, and so on.

GTA 4, I can replay it today and appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, Saints Row 2 is fun, but boy it did not age so well.

• Like 1

Grand Theft Auto IV has great graphics even for today. Yes, it's not the best - but for a game which was released in... 2008... it's awesome. I don't like how Grand Theft Auto  V looks during the daytime. It looks... weird.

Grand Theft Auto IV is one of those games which will date very slowly, especially when it comes to graphics. 

However, recently I've played Watch Dogs four times in a row and, as both games are very similar when it comes to the atmoshpere, I really wish Grand Theft Auto IV had similar graphics.

CynicalMexican
5 hours ago, Americana said:

Grand Theft Auto IV has great graphics even for today. Yes, it's not the best - but for a game which was released in... 2008... it's awesome. I don't like how Grand Theft Auto  V looks during the daytime. It looks... weird.

Grand Theft Auto IV is one of those games which will date very slowly, especially when it comes to graphics. 

However, recently I've played Watch Dogs four times in a row and, as both games are very similar when it comes to the atmoshpere, I really wish Grand Theft Auto IV had similar graphics.

For some reason I felt GTA V felt a bit too... drab? Watch Dogs 2 captured the colorful West Coast vibe so much better. 

What I like about the original Watch Dogs is that it captures the autumn feel very well without resorting to the "yellow-orange piss" filter that was present in so many games from 2003 to about 2011.

As I said on the TBOGT Thread. 

GTA IV with Niko's story was supposed to have that dark feel, Johnny's story was more of a gritty dirty feel & TBOGT was the true color of GTA IV and the city.

But also if a lot of people don't remember GTA IV with Niko's story had a lot of shadow and graphics errors so I can understand why people feel that way but it was a very revolutionary game and in the GTA series one of the biggest maps and they pushed GTA in the HD world.

Also I believe TBOGT was in fact the best game in the GTA IV series even though it's a DLC, from quality of game, graphics, minor big fixes and etc. Its now one of my favorites in there series in my opinion.

23 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

Watch Dogs 2 captured the colorful West Coast vibe so much better. 

True, Watch Dogs is not a very sunny game, but it looks more colorful than Grand Theft Auto IV... and yeah, Watch Dogs 2 is much more sunny and shiny.

Edited by Americana

On 8/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, CynicalMexican said:

Random thoughts:

I played Saints Row 2 this weekend after a LOOONG time and I have to say, GTA IV has aged so much better in graphics. While SR2 was never meant to look particularly realistic, it suffers from the "piss yellow orange" filter so strongly (so did GTA 4 but definitely not as much), and the texture/models aren't good. Not to mention lighting, shadows, and so on.

GTA 4, I can replay it today and appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, Saints Row 2 is fun, but boy it did not age so well.

SR2 was also a graphical downgrade in comparison to the 1st game too (including models and lighting afaik, I saw some comparisons somewhere). There's a mod in the works trying to make it look as close to the 1st game as possible which I'm looking forward to, as SR2 is just kinda ugly.

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, The Tracker said:

You wouldn't like to see how many times I have seen this opinion in GTA IV comment sections, to this day I have been arguing with many typical argumments that say how GTA IV "looked dull" "like sh*t" how it was visually "gray, boring"  or "unpolished"  or "visually unappealing"

There's a major difference here though, the color palette of the game IS dull and gray, but it is an artistic decision, it fits the story of the game, graphics are a different department and I think GTAIV, is still a very good looking game, even right now.

CynicalMexican
5 hours ago, B Dawg said:

SR2 was also a graphical downgrade in comparison to the 1st game too (including models and lighting afaik, I saw some comparisons somewhere). There's a mod in the works trying to make it look as close to the 1st game as possible which I'm looking forward to, as SR2 is just kinda ugly.

Yeah I know what you mean. The original Saints Row looked more colorful, Saints Row 2 just has so much of that "yellow-orange piss" filter that the game hasn't aged very well in terms of visuals. Hell, the skies don't look particularly natural either.

I would say not.

Say what you want about the blur of the PS3 version or the dithering on 360 (vid related, recorded on X1X), but this game, like Crysis, is an early game that can compete with CGI animated movies. Remember when Sony claimed the PS2 could produce "Toy Story" quality graphics? Well, they were off by a generation or two.

There is staggering amounts of detail put into everything: pixel shaders everywhere, in which every object/texture has a "wet" value when it rains. Depth of field and motion blur are used tastefully, and not only produce photorealistic moments, but also serve to mask LOD limitations when driving very fast or free falling.

Normals/speculars/reflections on everything, realistic color grading, soft particles, and of course the lighting/shadow effects. When it rains, lightning strikes cause everything on screen to cast a shadow. Is this feature even in GTA V? Helicopter spotlights also cause the player/every object it's shining on to cast shadows.

The water effects are my favorite, though. It's one of few games that have interactive/volumetric water that still impress me, the others being FEAR and Halo 3.

Anyways, I would pay good money if R* remastered the game using the 360 version as a base, but we all know that's not going to happen any time soon.

Edited by Darkel2001

I don't know about consoles, but PC looks awesome.

rPJRw4R.png

BmYzT5F.png

Sorry for using the same screenshots everytime, but I don't have time to create new ones.

MiamiViceCity1986

I don’t remember too many people saying it had bad graphics for the time. If anything it was common for GTA IV critics to claim that graphics is all it had going for it. Which we all know is bullsh*t.

Having only played GTA IV on console and never on a high end PC I can only judge it by the PS3 and 360 versions I have. Being a huge PlayStation buff I actually think it looks better on 360 (if slightly). Especially whenever I played it on my XB1. The lighting, textures etc are astonishing for a game of its age.

Let alone when I first played it in 2008 and it felt like man discovering fire for the first time lol. 

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
  • Like 1

GTA Vice City Signature+Avatar Combo Request | PlayStation Universe

On 7/18/2021 at 11:49 PM, The Tracker said:

Does anybody understand those that imply GTA IV had "bad graphics" EVEN for its time? I personally don't, and I never got it, I always was impressed by the way the streets, car models, lighting, etc, looked like, specially back in 2009, of course, some elements such as NPC models, weapons, draw distance, etc, have aged pretty bad, buy overall I always found it to look pretty photorrealistical in general during its early years, I mean, can you say THIS looks bad for 2008 standards?:

I would like to hear your opinions on this.

This video is amazing, and GTA IV had very good graphics back in 2008 when it was released.