1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Sean in RDO really screws up the time line.

Buddy Hightower

On 7/22/2021 at 6:39 AM, StyxTx said:

I'm all for that. Doing the same stuff over and over is boring to me. Autodeath makes it a lot more challenging. Sure wouldn't be as many Rambos out there. Plus, as it is now, you reach a point where your character may as well be dead since the only way to have any incentive to play is to create a new character and do everything all over again.

I'm for anything that makes the game more challenging.

I have always felt that GTAO and RDR2O were basically, the purgatory of the single player games.

• Like 1

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/22/2021 at 11:43 PM, MrHarlow said:

See awards and daily challenges are only there to keep you playing the game. They are just a means for gold. If that was the case a some people would be in a whole different year than you based solely on dailies. 

Also, Harriot cannot be hard proof as there are multiple npcs in the game who we do not see in single player. I understand that GTA v online has moved forward and I'm agreeing with you that rdro is moving forward! I just want them to update the game world to show that. Just like many online games do. Just look at games like World of Warcraft. The game is constantly evolving as time goes on. Or even elder scrolls online. 

Either we are still in 1898 or R* is just wants to minimally update RDO in the smallest way possible. If R* releases an update and it lines up with your theory I will eat my words and I will tell you that you were correct. Honestly I want you to be right but I just want the Gameworld to reflect it somehow. I cannot just roleplay in my head that we are in 1900 I want to see that.

R* added a character into GTAO in 2019 that you kill in a "canon" mission in 2013.  They are just greedy and reuse stuff when they can.  Yes, with GTAO they are lazy as well.  Harriett is not just another npc sitting in a reused location.  Her locations are completely new not used in story mode and her tent is a unique permanent fixture on the map.  Just like Bennys.  Benny's is a random building inside with a different garage but its essentially the same as Los Sanots customs.  The thing about Benny's, its not in story mode and there were people still saying the game was in 2013 when Benny was added in 2015.  They were saying it until in 2017 when Agent 14 explicitly stated the time has moved forward even though it was abundantly clear with people having ranks of 1000 by then with several businesses that game was progressing.  Hightower even argued that we were still in 2017 because no one has explicitly stated different in GTAO.  I am 100% right about this time progression.  The awards have nothing to do with progression for everyone.  I am saying they are proof that time is going in a normal rate and its how R* is measuring time.  Thats why an award clued us in to 1898 as the start date of RDO.  The game setting is moving forward in a normal rate and a way to know this is how awards are being measured.  A person that starts playing today is playing in 1900 just like we all are.  Its that his character is behind on personal progression.  I will gladly eat my words.  I mean this an argument about online video games.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, CosmicBuffalo said:

R* added a character into GTAO in 2019 that you kill in a "canon" mission in 2013.  They are just greedy and reuse stuff when they can.  Yes, with GTAO they are lazy as well.  Harriett is not just another npc sitting in a reused location.  Her locations are completely new not used in story mode and her tent is a unique permanent fixture on the map.  Just like Bennys.  Benny's is a random building inside with a different garage but its essentially the same as Los Sanots customs.  The thing about Benny's, its not in story mode and there were people still saying the game was in 2013 when Benny was added in 2015.  They were saying it until in 2017 when Agent 14 explicitly stated the time has moved forward even though it was abundantly clear with people having ranks of 1000 by then with several businesses that game was progressing.  Hightower even argued that we were still in 2017 because no one has explicitly stated different in GTAO.  I am 100% right about this time progression.  The awards have nothing to do with progression for everyone.  I am saying they are proof that time is going in a normal rate and its how R* is measuring time.  Thats why an award clued us in to 1898 as the start date of RDO.  The game setting is moving forward in a normal rate and a way to know this is how awards are being measured.  A person that starts playing today is playing in 1900 just like we all are.  Its that his character is behind on personal progression.  I will gladly eat my words.  I mean this an argument about online video games.

I fully agree with the GTAV argument. Yes the years are going by like normal but it is different for red dead online. All I'm saying is by the time this game is done being updated it wouldn't even be a western anymore. The game would absolutely benefit if we were still in 1898 for awhile longer. 

Also we are missing the m1899 and we are in 1900 like you said. Why would R* keep a gun like that away from online this long?

Also @CosmicBuffalo, with the blood money update Martelli mentions his boss who should be dead and in the cutscene a man mentions Leviticus Cornwall as he is still alive. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:44 AM, MrHarlow said:

If time is moving forward like you claim, Sean should already be dead. So how does he have new missions in year 1901? 

Why would R* add missions to dead characters if time is that quickly? Wouldn't it make more sense to add the missions to new or alive characters to continue the story? 

I think you are struggling to understand that this is a video game and you have to accept that time works in a very different way from the real world. Time clearly has to be moving forwards in some way because if it didn't then everything in the world would be completely static.

Chunkey_Monkey

The way i see it is Time is moving in a perpetual circle IE going somewhere but never getting there 

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/23/2021 at 12:40 AM, MrHarlow said:

Also @CosmicBuffalo, with the blood money update Martelli mentions his boss who should be dead and in the cutscene a man mentions Leviticus Cornwall as he is still alive. 

Why does the story have to make sense with online time?  The answer is...it does not have to make sense.  Why do I have Arthur's clothes, Saddie's bounty hunter outfit from thr Epilogue? Its just a foolish decision to set online prior to RDR2. 

I'll just throw this out there....It's a game.  It is what the mind of the person holding the controller(or keyboard) makes of it🤷‍♂️

On 7/23/2021 at 6:52 AM, 4eyedcoupe said:

I'll just throw this out there....It's a game.  It is what the mind of the person holding the controller(or keyboard) makes of it🤷‍♂️

Ain't that the truth.

• Like 4

On 7/23/2021 at 6:21 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Why does the story have to make sense with online time?  The answer is...it does not have to make sense.  Why do I have Arthur's clothes, Saddie's bounty hunter outfit from thr Epilogue? Its just a foolish decision to set online prior to RDR2. 

Because it should make sense? If any other game company had this much inconsistencies they would be called out for it. I have given you plenty of reasons in gameplay and cutscenes that show that we are still in 1898. You've said well, they game has been out for 2 years so that must mean 2 years have passed. C'mon now. Harriot having a tent doesn't mean anything more than that. I didn't hear a year. How do you know that she just appeared in later 1898? 

At this point if someone said the year you would just say "That's just R* being inconsistent" 

If you gave me a reason other than how long the game has been out I would agree with you. But that's not the case at all. 

If we start doing missions for Davy Callander is that just another inconsistency? 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:39 AM, AmyStone said:

I think you are struggling to understand that this is a video game and you have to accept that time works in a very different way from the real world. Time clearly has to be moving forwards in some way because if it didn't then everything in the world would be completely static.

I've already said the game is moving forward multiple times. And I've said multiple reasons that we are still in 1898. I know this is a video game that's why I don't think the game is 1-1 with real life. I think you are struggling with the idea that this game just MIGHT be different that GTA. 

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/23/2021 at 8:18 AM, MrHarlow said:

Because it should make sense? If any other game company had this much inconsistencies they would be called out for it. I have given you plenty of reasons in gameplay and cutscenes that show that we are still in 1898. You've said well, they game has been out for 2 years so that must mean 2 years have passed. C'mon now. Harriot having a tent doesn't mean anything more than that. I didn't hear a year. How do you know that she just appeared in later 1898? 

At this point if someone said the year you would just say "That's just R* being inconsistent" 

If you gave me a reason other than how long the game has been out I would agree with you. But that's not the case at all. 

If we start doing missions for Davy Callander is that just another inconsistency? 

I did not just say this.  I have a daily challenge streak of 312 actual days logged on social club.  As I told Hightower, he cracked the code and now we know why they ruined our streaks.  Now it resets every 28 days.  They did it to save the timeline...lol.  Some players are rank 1000.  I was just thinkng at least in GTAO the community was so big that enough people bugged them to go ahead make clear that the time lines are different.  Your reliance on aspects of story mode to use a time sequence has a proven track record of being wrong in R* games.   Regarding Harriet, this was in response to the claim that the map has not changed.  Is she more than that on thought?  Actually, yes she is more than just a chink in the armor of the perpetual loop theory.  She sort of blows your middle ground up as well.  Although, the best evidence are the awards, player ranks, money and stat accumulation over the last two years.

Why do I have Saddie's epilogue outfit if the storymode and online time line must conform?  

Edited by CosmicBuffalo

Buddy Hightower
On 7/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, AmyStone said:

Where on the map was he 2 years ago?

Anywhere you weren't. How is this hard??? lol

On 7/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

I did not just say this.  I have a daily challenge streak of 312 actual days logged on social club.  As I told Hightower, he cracked the code and now we know why they ruined our streaks.  Now it resets every 28 days.  They did it to save the timeline...lol.  Some players are rank 1000.  I was just thinkng at least in GTAO the community was so big that enough people bugged them to go ahead make clear that the time lines are different.  Your reliance on aspects of story mode to use a time sequence has a proven track record of being wrong in R* games.   

Why do I have Saddie's epilogue outfit if the storymode and online time line must conform?  

Saddies outfit is just that, an outfit. It's not even called her outfit in game. 

Don't you think R* should be held at a higher standard? As you pointed out in GTAO they brought back one dead character, a trailer that is in the same location, and the FIB building. But in RDO we have multiple dead characters around in 1900. If R* can add buildings to GTA online I know they can show some sort of progression with RDO online. I want to see Armadillo not covered with disease. 

But maybe you are right. Model Ts are airplanes are right around the corner. Cannot wait.

CosmicBuffalo

On 7/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

Anywhere you weren't. How is this hard??? lol

Please tell us again in your most schizophrenic voice that GTAO is still set in 2012.

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, MrHarlow said:

Saddies outfit is just that, an outfit. It's not even called her outfit in game. 

Don't you think R* should be held at a higher standard? As you pointed out in GTAO they brought back one dead character, a trailer that is in the same location, and the FIB building. But in RDO we have multiple dead characters around in 1900. If R* can add buildings to GTA online I know they can show some sort of progression with RDO online. I want to see Armadillo not covered with disease. 

But maybe you are right. Model Ts are airplanes are right around the corner. Cannot wait.

Um dude, its the exact same outfit.  Literally down to the gun belt with cartage colors and missing cartages.  I own it because R* does not give a crap about the story/online consistency.  I am not saying they should not be held to account.  They should, but who is going to do it.  Talking about it here for the last 3 days is about all I am willing to do.  Maybe some youtuber will create a video about it.  I think thats the best we can hope for.  My prediction, this game will stop receiving updates within 10 years time of launch or before the 1911 story mode time.

Edited by CosmicBuffalo

Buddy Hightower
On 7/23/2021 at 6:21 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Its just a foolish decision to set online prior to RDR2. 

You finally said something I agree with.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:18 PM, MrHarlow said:

I think you are struggling with the idea that this game just MIGHT be different that GTA. 

When did I mention GTA?

On 7/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, AmyStone said:

When did I mention GTA?

GTA is the only game that we can go by with close to the same concepts. There are plenty of other online games which have daily challenges and holiday events but their worlds do not advance a year every year. It takes time. 

Cosmic buffalo was saying that because GTAO moves a year at a time, RDO must do the same. 

Buddy Hightower
On 7/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bigglo145 said:

Time moves forward a little bit with every update. The updates are probably supposed to be like a month apart. Just like any game, you can roam around and do what you want but time doesnt progress unless you do the missions. So until we get new missions, we are probably a couple months into 1898.

This is by far the best response. Just like in story mode, time (the story itself) doesn't move forward until you do the quests. Each quest moves the story ahead in time by a tiny bit.

Same could be said for RDO. Time only passes with the release of a new update. 

• Like 2

I don't get it, why is this so hard to understand?

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

This is by far the best response. Just like in story mode, time (the story itself) doesn't move forward until you do the quests. Each quest moves the story ahead in time by a tiny bit.

Same could be said for RDO. Time only passes with the release of a new update. 

Online is not just a story, we are not going towards an a specific end, sort of like real life...the game is a never ending sand box measured in real time, not story with a beginning and a clearly defined end.  Why only a month?  Because it justifies your time line, seems likes feelings.  Why not 3 months?  Or the duration of the outlaw passes?  Does not work for yourr time line?  

Buddy Hightower
On 7/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Online is not just a story, we are not going towards an a specific end, sort of like real life...the game is a never ending sand box measured in real time, not story with a beginning and a clearly defined end.  Why only a month?  Because it justifies your time line, seems likes feelings.  Why not 3 months?  Or the duration of the outlaw passes?  Does not work for yourr time line?  

lol says the one with zero in-game proof that time even means at all....

You use your daily quest history. lol what a joke.

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

lol says the one with zero in-game proof that time even means at all....

You use your daily quest history. lol what a joke.

Nah, I used GTAO as a comparison.  I used multiple awards.  A daily streak.  I could use money, rank, player kills, in game play time, gifts from Christmas, etc...but nice try.

Buddy Hightower
On 7/24/2021 at 9:16 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Nah, I used GTAO as a comparison.  I used multiple awards.  A daily streak.  I could use money, rank, player kills, in game play time, gifts from Christmas, etc...but nice try.

lol none of that means jack...

It's 1898 in-game.

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/24/2021 at 11:55 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

lol none of that means jack...

It's 1898 in-game.

It means everything, jack.

Its 1900 in online.

Caffeination

I don’t know why you’re all arguing over this when Rockstar won’t even provide an explanation as to why they insisted on putting RDO’s events before RDR2’s.

They could have put RDO right after the moment Dutch’s gang is officially separated, thus avoiding all this confusion, but they didn’t. There’s no use in arguing it’s actually in 1900, or whichever point before 1899, we will be forever stuck in 1898 until Rockstar stops fooling themselves that they can milk RDO like they could GTAO, then they’ll shut down the servers for good.

• Like 1

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/24/2021 at 2:53 PM, Caffeination said:

I don’t know why you’re all arguing over this when Rockstar won’t even provide an explanation as to why they insisted on putting RDO’s events before RDR2’s.

Because its fun.  I think the reason that its set before is to avoid spoilers

Caffeination
On 7/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Because its fun.  I think the reason that its set before is to avoid spoilers

No, it’s to use the base map. Can’t be for spoilers, since the very first instance of an overworld change in RDR2 was the burning of Sadie’s house, which happened in the prologue mission. 

Besides, whoever buys games just to skip to multiplayer doesn’t care about spoilers anyway. In fact, had we been in a world that has RDO set in 1900, perhaps seeing the state of the Braithwaite Manor might bother them to try the story for once.

CosmicBuffalo

With the gameplay of Red Dead Redemption 2 as its foundation, Red Dead Online transforms the vast and deeply detailed landscapes, cities, towns and habitats of Red Dead Redemption 2 into a new, living online world ready to be shared by multiple players. Create and customize your character, tailor your abilities to suit your play style and head out into a new frontier full of things to experience.

From Beta newswire November 2018.

With the foundation of Red Dead Online now established, future updates will offer new ways to fully inhabit your character as you progress in multiple roles and carve out your own place on the frontier.

From Beta Ends newswire May 2019.

Join millions of fellow players in the American West, and experience a world now packed with years’ worth of new features, gameplay and additional enhancements.

Current description on RDO website.

Please let me know when anyone finds something even remotely resembling progressing months or a looping time.

Edited by CosmicBuffalo