1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Sean in RDO really screws up the time line.

Buddy Hightower

Buddy Hightower

When exactly is RDO and why is Sean just hanging out by himself?

Obviously the Blackwater Ferry job hasn't happened yet. Shouldn't Sean be with the gang wherever they happen to be right now?

Aren't they up north somewhere off map waiting for a fire that will burn Charles's hand and the events that led them to met Micha and Jenny?

Sean has lines in Blood Money about his mentor and his book, obviously talking about Dutch. 

Edited by Buddy Hightower
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

When exactly is RDO and why is Sean just hanging out by himself?

Obviously the Blackwater Ferry job hasn't happened yet. Shouldn't Sean be with the gang wherever they happen to be right now?

Aren't they up north somewhere off map waiting for a fire that will burn Charles's hand and the events that led them to met Micha and Jenny?

Sean has lines in Blood Money about his mentor and his book, obviously talking about Dutch. 

There are a number of things in RDO that make me scratch my head with a look of confusion on my face. 🙂

Caffeination

Don’t bother understanding it. RDO is set before RDR2 since Rockstar is still operating on the outdated mentality of setting multiplayer before Singleplayer.

In a few years, if Rockstar still cares about RDO, we’ll be transported to a post-story timeline like they did with GTAO, but we’ll still be able to take stranger missions from a living Sean and a Trelawny still living by the caravan, and the Braithwaite manor will still be intact. Honestly, eight years timeskip in which all the important story characters are absent is perfect for RDO, so many stories and adventures to be had.

• Like 2
  • Best Bru 1

As the fella before said, RDO is set before the story mode, specifically 1898. Sean should, in fact, be with the gang. Actually, one of his other voice lines asks the player if they've seen a gang made up of an odd bunch of characters about. He even mentions in his opening cutscene having been separated from them. I suppose the implication is that the rest of the gang hasn't yet fully moved into Blackwater.

No, the real timeline issues with online are arguably the Skinners being in Tall Trees before 1905 and the Armadillo cholera outbreak apparently lasting nearly a decade. Outside of that, most things work fine

In story mode Sean seems like he just kind of gets left behind by the gang from time to time.  In all honesty, judging by the way that they seem to treat him, it wouldn't be that far fetched that the gang would "accidentally" forget to wait for him to return before they moved on. I mean, who could possibly leave that voracious talker behind on purpose? 

And since he does say that he got parted from them and he's looking for them, I assume that such an accident had happened. Late at night, while he was drunk and passed out perhaps. 😄

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 10:30 PM, Direwrath said:

In story mode Sean seems like he just kind of gets left behind by the gang from time to time.  In all honesty, judging by the way that they seem to treat him, it wouldn't be that far fetched that the gang would "accidentally" forget to wait for him to return before they moved on. I mean, who could possibly leave that voracious talker behind on purpose? 

And since he does say that he got parted from them and he's looking for them, I assume that such an accident had happened. Late at night, while he was drunk and passed out perhaps. 😄

He can't be looking for them when he's sitting on his butt giving us jobs to do. I guess we're supposed to be looking for him.😄

Edited by StyxTx

CosmicBuffalo

Why R* would use story mode characters that die? It is proof they have way too many cooks in the kitchen.  The game should have been set to after the epilogue...if you play online first and spoil it,  then it could just be a message at the beginning, like spoilers ahead online happens after story mode...instead they box themselves in creatively.  You would think GTAO would have been a learning experience but instead we are 2 years into story modes timeline and no one has even heard of Dutch's gang.  Sadie is working in perpetual snow or something...I guess Jake has her in the basement.  

• Like 2

Setting the RDO world in 1908 would have abrogated the fuss over Bonnie MacFarlane's age and appearance, given us a sound reason for having the M1899 pistol in-world, explain the abandoned state of the reservation, and given us a chance to accept stranger missions from John Marston at Beecher's Hope (let's face it, though: at this point R* would tease us with a cutscene, then set it so we get Beecher's Hope stranger missions from Uncle!).

On 7/17/2021 at 1:24 PM, Dark Spark said:

Setting the RDO world in 1908 would have abrogated the fuss over Bonnie MacFarlane's age and appearance, given us a sound reason for having the M1899 pistol in-world, explain the abandoned state of the reservation, and given us a chance to accept stranger missions from John Marston at Beecher's Hope (let's face it, though: at this point R* would tease us with a cutscene, then set it so we get Beecher's Hope stranger missions from Uncle!).

Wow, I hadn't even thought about the abandoned reservation. You're right! It shouldn't be.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 5:23 AM, StyxTx said:

He can't be looking for them when he's sitting on his butt giving us jobs to do. I guess we're supposed to be looking for him.😄

Lol, I mean what else is our character meant for? Doing tedious chores for other people, keeping their "business" afloat, and being the bad guy/gal when they need them to be. At least we don't have to babysit him, I don't think my character would last a day with all of that never ending mouth, or that ego. 😄

On 7/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, Dark Spark said:

I'm not sure what kinds of things John would ask us to do, as he was trying to keep a straight reputation at the time. But Uncle would probably be the one hanging out with the wrong crowd even then, so he might be the better one to hand out colorful missions because he could play a neutral role. But you are right, even if John was not trying to keep on the up they would never allow us to be able to take jobs from him. Even if most of us would love to see him and the gang in the game. Maybe John would initially send us out to try and rescue the old fart because he got himself into some trouble (as always)😉

On 7/17/2021 at 12:00 PM, StyxTx said:

Wow, I hadn't even thought about the abandoned reservation. You're right! It shouldn't be.

This actually bothers me, there should be a tribe of people living there at this time. I would have loved to be able to go up there and see that reservation full of life, it really would have been immersive. As of right now it seems like there are no tribal lands at all and that all native people do not exist in the world. I wonder why they left it abandoned instead of just leaving it an empty spot of land instead?

Shadowfennekin

I think Sean working for Bronte's people breaks canon FAR more than anything else in RDO 

• Like 5

Mirror Park Resident
On 7/18/2021 at 3:15 AM, Shadowfennekin said:

I think Sean working for Bronte's people breaks canon FAR more than anything else in RDO 

Exactly. I thought the same when I heard him talking about crapitale the other day.

Isn't really hard to picture a guy like him getting lost from time to time. Or the gang getting used to this guy getting lost for that matter.

• Like 3

Yeah the online shouldve been set in 1908 or even 1911. They could of had beechers hope abandoned or occupied by jack who could give us missions. Could even include cars that are prone to breaking down every so often.

• Like 2

Buddy Hightower
On 7/17/2021 at 10:28 AM, CosmicBuffalo said:

You would think GTAO would have been a learning experience but instead we are 2 years into story modes timeline and no one has even heard of Dutch's gang

Well, 2 years have not passed online - more like 2 months at most.

You get out of prison and do jobs for that lady - no way more than 2 months have passed online.

You are simply playing the same day over and over again.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

uC8EUbI.jpg

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

Well, 2 years have not passed online - more like 2 months at most.

You get out of prison and do jobs for that lady - no way more than 2 months have passed online.

Dont help R* justify their terrible decisions.  I have gold plated guns.  One online award is 20 weeks of daily challenges.  It can be reset 10 times.

Edited by CosmicBuffalo

Buddy Hightower
On 7/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Dont help R* justify their terrible decisions.  I have gold plated guns.  One online award is 20 weeks of daily challenges.  It can be reset 10 times.

What's your point? No time has passed in the online world since it launched.

Story-mode only last 5 months from ch1 to end of ch6.

At 48 minutes per in-game day, we're living through 30 game-days per IRL day. My beta characters have seen decades pass by...👴⏳

• Like 2

Buddy Hightower
On 7/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, Assblaster said:

48 minutes per in-game day

Never understood the point of this. Just make days last 24 hours like real life. Whatever time it is on the host machine should be the time in game. Watching the sun come up and then just go back down is completely retarded. If it is about daily fees, easy - increase the amount and have it happen at the same time every day even if you are not logged in at that time. For example at 3am server time everyday you pay your maintenance for the day. They can multiply the amount to make it equivalent.  

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 3:49 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

Never understood the point of this. Just make days last 24 hours like real life. Whatever time it is on the host machine should be the time in game. Watching the sun come up and then just go back down is completely retarded. If it is about daily fees, easy - increase the amount and have it happen at the same time every day even if you are not logged in at that time. For example at 3am server time everyday you pay your maintenance for the day. They can multiply the amount to make it equivalent.  

Makes sense since our characters never sleep anyway.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:19 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

How are you going to implement this? RDO uses P2P connection so there's no dedicated server to connect to which could've determined in game time, different persons in different time zones cannot have different in game time in the same lobby. Also hunting and fishing (also a few collectables) are affected by day of time (and weather) so a person always playing the game at a particular time of day will miss out on almost all of the other situations. Instead of 48 minute day they could've made it say 96 minute day but making it sync with real time is absolute garbage game design. Also what about the people using VPN? How will that work? Too many needless complications arise whereas overwhelming majority is completely fine with the current system.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, Zapper said:

How are you going to implement this? RDO uses P2P connection so there's no dedicated server to connect to which could've determined in game time, different persons in different time zones cannot have different in game time in the same lobby. Also hunting and fishing (also a few collectables) are affected by day of time (and weather) so a person always playing the game at a particular time of day will miss out on almost all of the other situations. Instead of 48 minute day they could've made it say 96 minute day but making it sync with real time is absolute garbage game design. Also what about the people using VPN? How will that work? Too many needless complications arise whereas overwhelming majority is completely fine with the current system.

Personally, I think 48 minute days is way too short. Kinda silly really as days fly by while the calender stands still. Instead of making it based on a user's time zone just make the game a 24 hour day for everyone, or at least 12 hour days, as it is now with the 48 minute day.

As far as collectibles, some people don't have a lot of time to play anyway but those who want to collect time sensitive things like the 2 plants would find a way to be on at the time they are available. Seems to me it would be easier if they have a long stretch of time to get to those rather than a few minutes in that 48 minute period.

I really don't see why R* decided to make those 2 plants nightime only plants anyway. In reality plants don't pop up for just a few hours each day. In fact, those two need sunlight to grow. Kinda hard to get at night. But, this is the same bunch that thinks snakes crawl around in 30 & 40 degree weather so......

Edited by StyxTx

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

Is this actually a real idea or are you joking?  Maybe this is why they reset our streaks...lol...some over 400 days.  But its been 2 months.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:49 AM, StyxTx said:

Personally, I think 48 minute days is way too short. Kinda silly really as days fly by while the calender stands still. Instead of making it based on a user's time zone just make the game a 24 hour day for everyone, or at least 12 hour days, as it is now with the 48 minute day.

It's a video game and an online one. You can't possibly hope and try to calculate how much time passes or not and then come to the conclusion it's 'silly'. Then they'd have to remove the catalogue because it's way to silly to buy guns that magically appear on your horse while you're standing on top of a mountain. Also remove the hunting and bounty wagon spawn in the middle of nowhere because it also looks silly. Best they can do is make day night cycle 96 minutes or so but I don't think they even think that it's an issue for some. And 12 hour days are also not at all a good idea because as I told, many players would only be able to in a particular time of a day which is absolutely a bad idea.

Edited by Zapper
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

There is character, story and business progression. You just have to imagine you're living in a world where people don't age and technology never improves. But time definitely passes.

• Like 2

Buddy Hightower
On 7/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, Zapper said:

Because someone in the session is actually hosting the session. Whatever time it is on that system could be the time of day.

If that's too hard, then at least increase the length of a day to a few hours, not 48 minutes.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, AmyStone said:

There is character, story and business progression. You just have to imagine you're living in a world where people don't age and technology never improves. But time definitely passes.

Then Blackwater would have been robbed by now... it hasn't.

There would be a bounty out for the gang - there isn't.

Sean wouldn't be sitting around asking you to go get Capitale - he is.

Time doesn't advance in online.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

yet

On 7/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, Buddy Hightower said:

Great. So I've been able to magic make over a million dollars in no time at all.

CosmicBuffalo
On 7/21/2021 at 9:13 AM, Buddy Hightower said:

Because someone in the session is actually hosting the session. Whatever time it is on that system could be the time of day.

If that's too hard, then at least increase the length of a day to a few hours, not 48 minutes.

Then Blackwater would have been robbed by now... it hasn't.

There would be a bounty out for the gang - there isn't.

Sean wouldn't be sitting around asking you to go get Capitale - he is.

R* just made stupid short sighted decisions when it comes to the consistency of their online and story game. Why even attempt to logically reason this...no one knows and if you asked R*, they most likely have no good reason either.