2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Windows 11 | Discussion

Mister Pink

Mister Pink

So, it was leaked some time ago when a copy of Windows appeared on a warez site and Microsoft filed a copyright take-down confirming Windows 11's existence. It's the first new Windows in about 6 years and I think Microsoft originally said they wouldn't make a new Windows, just keep updating 10. Well, it's coming soon and it's a free upgrade for all Windows 10 users should your system meet requirements. But now it's official and has been unveiled. 

One major addition is that Android apps will now be able to run on desktop. Apparently without Microsoft taking any cut from Android app developers. 

CPU compatibility.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

I have to say, I know little of the new OS only that now the Start menu is in the centre of the screen. I don't need such drastic UI changes in my life right now. 

uLKsdhdxTtePs762ZjKqqQ.png

I still need to read up on new features and see what it actually might improve upon 10. But we can discuss here, what we like/dislike also anyone that's updating can let us know how it goes here. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

dFotYY6.jpg

Σ 

I've been following Windows development since the announcement of Windows 10 so I perhaps come from a unique position to most users, but I've been looking forward to this since rumours started circulating and enjoyed the event about it yesterday. I like Windows, although there's also plenty that bothers me about major updates to it like this as well.

I imagine part of the reason we're seeing Windows 11 is because of the increase in PC sales and usage this past year due to the pandemic, but it has given Microsoft an opportunity to put some effort into improving the OS and I feel like a lot of the changes they've been making are positive.

The issue I have with new Windows releases, granted Windows 10 has been around longer than most before a new iteration has come around, is that they always seem to come too soon and before the version preceeding it feels "finished". I use quotations because realistically Windows is an accumulation of work over several decades and I don't think Microsoft are ever going to get around to updating all components of it and especially not within a few years, but it seems like each update mainly focuses on updating the UI and design of the start menu, taskbar and pre-installed applications while then trying to do something new no one is really asking for like the Widgets pane we're seeing in Windows 11. There's plenty of deeper components they don't update at all.

What this leads to is a number of unfinished features, inconsistent design and plenty of decisions that don't make too much sense all the way through the operating system. You can find UI elements from as far back as Windows 3.1 in Windows 10, and the design of context menus and similar functions can change depending on where you're right clicking. A fun example I saw the other day when a Windows 10 installation decided to stop working for reasons unknown is that in one of the restarts from the recovery menu the Windows Vista loading bar appeared when trying to boot up :p

It's not really a big deal and I imagine most users probably neither notice or care, but I suppose a wish of mine is that Microsoft sticks it out with one OS for a longer period of time and makes more of an effort to update (or remove, but I imagine that's not done for businesses and professional users holding on to functionality from decades ago) a lot of these legacy components. Windows 10 was going to move everything to the new Settings app and phase out Control Panel but we still have settings split across both which is just inconvenient, it introduced new "fluent design" which only seems to have made it to a fairly arbritary selection of UI elements, it changed the start menu design halfway through for no apparent reason. I guess I'm saying that Windows feels like a collection of unfinished ideas from over two decades and I'd rather they worked at getting a more complete OS before making a new one and changing the same few features again.

But to move away from that tangent, I like the look of Windows 11 from what I've seen so far. It's mostly similar to what they were going to introduce in Windows 10X, and is clearly inspired by the likes of ChromeOS and MacOS, trying to be "simpler" to appeal to the home user as opposed to the professionals. It's good to see that it's a free upgrade too but the new TPM 2.0 system requirement seems to be affecting a lot of people from what I've seen and indeed I won't be able to install it on this PC because of it. You can check whether you'll be able to run Windows 11 using the PC Health Check App.

2 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

I have to say, I know little of the new OS only that now the Start menu is in the centre of the screen. I don't need such drastic UI changes in my life right now.

You can change the start menu position back to being on the left in Settings. I do agree though, to add to what I was saying above, an issue of changing everything up every few years is that you force users to relearn the way they do things and that's not convenient nor wanted by people who just want the operating system to work and be the same way it has always been. I wasn't particularly pleased they changed the start menu a few years ago from what was originally in Windows 10 but now I've set it up in a way that works for me and which I use to launch apps every day, and I'll now have to adapt to a completely new way. I can see why the likes of Classic Shell are popular.

• Realistic Steak! 1

Creed Bratton

TPM requirement for a home computer. f*ckin' lol.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, Yokelsson said:

TPM requirement for a home computer. f*ckin' lol.

To be fair pretty much every system post 2016 has either integrated TPM or vTPM.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

GhettoJesus

From what I have heard it's pretty much a Windows 10 isn't it? If you open the command prompt it will say Windows 10.something and if you can't connect to the internet to use some feature it will say Windows 10x. Feel free to correct me if I am saying something stupid.

Now as for the Verge article there is 1 thing that bothers me.

Microsoft is also requiring a front-facing camera for all Windows 11 devices except desktop PCs from January 2023 onwards.

Why exactly? If you don't use a desktop PC will you be forced to use facial recognition/fingerprint as an added layer of security? Not that it's an impossible requirement because what tablet or laptop doesn't have one nowadays but without any explanation it just comes off bad.

As for the OS overall, from what I have seen, it's mostly like Windows 10 but with strong tablet vibes. Centered taskbar (which you can fortunately change) and 150% zoom being the default. And of course, just like Windows 10, you get an OS full of bloatware. Like gee I am really glad Facebook Messenger and Twitter are preinstalled. I don't see the reason why you would even need these apps preinstalled if you are using it on a desktop PC. But you can run Android apps with it which I guess is pretty neat and the updates are also supposed to be smaller and faster (and I presume you still can't control them so you gotta disable it as it is if you don't want to deal with it at all). Oh and some features seem to be tied to a Microsoft Account. You can still make a local account though.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, GTAKid667 said:

What this leads to is a number of unfinished features, inconsistent design and plenty of decisions that don't make too much sense all the way through the operating system. You can find UI elements from as far back as Windows 3.1 in Windows 10

The installer of Windows 11 looks exactly the same as Windows 10's with that non-transparent Aero look around the window from Vista and 7. But the interface where you set your location, your keyboard, your password etc. looks brand new with some animations.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

Really don't like the new start menu, would rather the 7 one or even just the 10 one. Seems stupid to clump all the frequent use stuff right next to the power button for ease of access for one version, then completely split it all up for the next.

GTA3Rockstar
On 6/25/2021 at 11:59 PM, owl-man said:

Really don't like the new start menu, would rather the 7 one or even just the 10 one. Seems stupid to clump all the frequent use stuff right next to the power button for ease of access for one version, then completely split it all up for the next.

You can move the start menu to the left in the settings and you can change the start menu to look like Win 10 with a Registry Editor change.

I'm running the leaked dev build and that's what I did.

ppNaW16.png

You shouldn't have to edit the registry to make something not stupid. Like with the Jpeg/Jfif thing.

GTA3Rockstar
On 6/27/2021 at 12:30 AM, owl-man said:

You shouldn't have to edit the registry to make something not stupid. Like with the Jpeg/Jfif thing.

Probably because they want people to use the new style instead, but it's simple. Or since I'm only on a dev build and nothing official, it might be added later

No idea about this jpeg/jfif thing you speak of lol

ppNaW16.png

Basically for whatever reason, Microsoft changed some registry sh*t so if you downloaded a Jpeg off the net it would download as a Jfif instead, which just so happens to not embed on any chat services.

Easy to reverse but easy to forget in the first place.

GTA3Rockstar

Never heard of such a thing happening lol Weird

Anyways, hopefully we get the Android update soon; that's the main reason I upgraded right now.

ppNaW16.png

On 6/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, owl-man said:

Basically for whatever reason, Microsoft changed some registry sh*t so if you downloaded a Jpeg off the net it would download as a Jfif instead, which just so happens to not embed on any chat services.

This wasn't/isn't unique to W11, some people reported the same issue with Creators Update versions of W10 but it seems to be system/installation dependent as it doesn't happen to the overwhelming majority of people.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

On 6/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, sivispacem said:

This wasn't/isn't unique to W11, some people reported the same issue with Creators Update versions of W10 but it seems to be system/installation dependent as it doesn't happen to the overwhelming majority of people.

Exactly. This was a common issue in 10 and was due to a file association issue - easily fixed in registry

I really don't expect anything from Win 11. I consider myself an early adopter but from experience all they add is bloat, useless features such as Cortana, and hog up more and more GBs of storage. More and more they treat the user as morons.

Whenever I install a new Windows version on a PC i've built, I spend more hours removing crap and changing privacy and other settings than the hardware build itself.

So, what I'm curious about is what additional garbage MS will thrust on us. I recently installed Win 10 on a friend's PC and had to unplug his internet when they tried to force the creation of a Microsoft account.

Disabling the internet at this point is the easiest way to ensure you sign-in as a local account by default. This is R* like behaviour - you pay for the software but you are forced to create an account with us (Social Club).

If you want to install crapps from the Window store, then create an account and download - but don't force the creation on users who've paid. Even OEM versions will force you to do this unless you shutdown the net.

Sorry but I want nothing to do with a MS account, so I'm just waiting to hear what further suckage they've planned for users. Maybe they'll force us to use Bing and Edge? jk

As for TPM, I looked at the list of CPUs and it is extensive - should only be an issue with older PCs that would not be able to run next-gen games or current games at decent FPS and graphics quality. In other words, upgrade your PC or don't upgrade Windows.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:25 AM, sivispacem said:

To be fair pretty much every system post 2016 has either integrated TPM or vTPM.

>me who has a mobo from 2015

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | Hifiman Sundara | Fiio K9 Pro

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro

TPM 2.0 requirement is annoying. My CPU is a 4th gen i7, and my motherboard is from around 2013-14, so I'm basically screwed unless I build a new PC, which I was going to do eventually anyway. I guess this is as good an excuse as ever for me to start a new build, though it'll take some saving. My current one has lasted me since 2014, with only minor upgrades here and there. Next build will be Ryzen based.

• Like 1

dVOJf7l.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Maxxeine said:

TPM 2.0 requirement is annoying. My CPU is a 4th gen i7, and my motherboard is from around 2013-14, so I'm basically screwed unless I build a new PC, which I was going to do eventually anyway. I guess this is as good an excuse as ever for me to start a new build, though it'll take some saving. My current one has lasted me since 2014, with only minor upgrades here and there. Next build will be Ryzen based.

You can force an update via a script (Method 2 in the article) and I can confirm that it works. I think you might need to check that your PC has secure boot enabled.

https://www.xda-developers.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/

Edit: Never mind. You can't skip the TPM 2.0 check.

Edit 2: This method seems to be working: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/oa0cse/bypass_tpm_20_requirement_for_windows_11_insider/

Edit 3: It worked.

kQCeFEW.png

Edited by DEALUX

The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | TESORO Gram XS | Xtrfy MZ1 | Xbox Elite v2 | Hifiman Sundara | Fiio K9 Pro

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

• 2 weeks later...
Creed Bratton

Installed the beta build on my work laptop and it works really well so far. I haven't had the chance to properly test it though, but that's mostly because there's not much I can do with it on a laptop that I basically use for writing, browsing the internet and occasional Adobe Creative Suite work.

Windows Explorer seems a bit sluggish at times but it runs pretty well so far. I did get a BSOD at one point lol and it scared the crap out of me because Windows reported it as corrupt kernel but it turned out to be just a loose RAM stick from the dust cleaning I did that day.

The Audiophile Thread

BigGoldberg
On 6/25/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mister Pink said:

So, it was leaked some time ago when a copy of Windows appeared on a warez site and Microsoft filed a copyright take-down confirming Windows 11's existence. It's the first new Windows in about 6 years and I think Microsoft originally said they wouldn't make a new Windows, just keep updating 10. Well, it's coming soon and it's a free upgrade for all Windows 10 users should your system meet requirements. But now it's official and has been unveiled. 

One major addition is that Android apps will now be able to run on desktop. Apparently without Microsoft taking any cut from Android app developers. 

CPU compatibility.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

uLKsdhdxTtePs762ZjKqqQ.png

I still need to read up on new features and see what it actually might improve upon 10. But we can discuss here, what we like/dislike also anyone that's updating can let us know how it goes here. 

Looks amazing! :)

I will switch from 10 to 11 for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found out that old, unsupported hardware can run Windows 11, but with a catch: you won't be able to install updates for the opearating system.

• Like 1

dFotYY6.jpg

Σ 

I've installed a few Windows Insider builds of Windows 11, but I've since re-installed Windows 10 a few days ago. Microsoft essentially messed up my Windows 11 install by trying to inject a Microsoft Teams advertisement into the operating system through an automatic Windows Update. This update caused the start menu to not open and the taskbar to crash, no programs would launch either. It wasn't until after I reinstalled Windows 10, Microsoft published an article detailing how to fix it through the Registry Editor.

Before the update, Windows 11 felt pretty stable for my daily use considering that it's mostly a UI refresh, but alas. Perks of being a Windows Insider, I suppose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I installed it on my desktop and laptop today.  First thing I did was fix the taskbar to the left.  I mean...come on.

Remember when XP came out and had the glass windows?  It feels like that day.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the operating system's been out since yesterday, so you can update to the OS if you want.

Thing is, my PC does not meet Windows 11's minimum requirements. (sigh) This TPM 2.0 requirement was a bad idea on Microsoft's part. Maybe they should've delayed the release of this operating system to next year.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA
  • Like 1

Frustrations frustrations.. I'm starting to think technology is conspiring against me to make break stuff in a maddening rage. 

I tried and keep failing to install Windows 11. The error reads "Windows 11 has failed to install" at around 40%. No error code or anything. My machine is under 1 year old, bought this year and is a new model. PC Health Check says I'm good. TPM and Secure Boot are enabled. 

I'll probably just leave until my machine is prompted to download it. 

• Like 1

dFotYY6.jpg

Σ 

When it fails, are you able to just boot straight into Windows 10 like nothing happened?

I have three machines on Windows 10 right now (one being a laptop), and I can't have one temporarily go down because of a failed update.

IPMBMBAP

I returned back to my workplace apartment a few days ago. It has a i5 2500 and a H77 motherboard based system running with a GTX 1060 3GB. Considering that I hadn't been in the place for over 16 months, when I turned on my PC Windows 10 booted up but the performance was hell. Probably cause it had remained shut for all these months. What I did was boot up my laptop, get the latest stable Windows 11 ISO, purchased a WD 240GB SSD locally and then installed W11 on the SSD on a i5 2500. And safe to stay, it works really great. I was expecting UI lags and all, but no such things (yet). System is snappy and I like the audio improvements over Windows 10. I just need a decent soundbar now.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

0rTqlCW.png

i5 10400F • MSI Z490-A PRO • XPG 16GB DDR4 3000MHz •

MSI RX 570 4GB • NZXT H510 • Cooler Master MWE 650 V2

On 10/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, Misumi said:

When it fails, are you able to just boot straight into Windows 10 like nothing happened?

I have three machines on Windows 10 right now (one being a laptop), and I can't have one temporarily go down because of a failed update.

Yeah, it it just shows a little pop-up box. It doesn't disrupt anything - thankfully. But I wouldn't take the risk in your case.

Edited by Mister Pink

dFotYY6.jpg

Σ