3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

San Fierro River

Mattineu

A spanish-speaking youtube channel (Rai Can) made a video talking about a supossed deleted river that would go from the Easter Bay area to Sasquatch Creek (the river that divides Whetstone and Flint County), that river would cut out San Fierro from the rest of Flint County, and would be used to block the city before Truth's mission "Are you going to San Fierro?", he shows some map evidence as well a text string from the trucker missions, said text string bellow:

6RHg2k8.png

(TRANSLATION: The following trucker missions will be unlocked when you have acess to San Fierro. Quick reminder that in the final version of San Andreas, you can only do the Trucking missions after Tanker Commander, a mission you can only do after unlocking Flint County, Whetstone and San Fierro)

Map Evidence:

V4f6TmO.png

In the video, it is argued that this area could be the riverbed since it looks rushed because of the elevation, and that it resembles the channel in Easter Bay

tg1lYjI.png

Prelighting error, could indicate something being rushed

tp5yhzM.png

This Bridge could've been over the River in earliers versions of the map, but that's just a guess

PZcZakr.png

Sudden texture change the area the river would meet with Sasquatch Creek in Whetstone

Ys1fiS1.png

The Train tunnel, that was likely rushed in, maybe because of a change in planning?

NVw3Y8d.png

Possible River trajectory.

Counterevidence:

QPfBLHl.png

- There is no screenshots of sayed river on Beta promo material

- There is no beta maps showing it (Like in the one from Lil Probe Inn)

The Video that inspired me to write this thread: 

Edited by Mattineu

Cool, that's intersting

Edited by Davve95

I have heard this theory. My only concern with it is that no beta map features a river, meaning they scrapped it rather early. If that's the case then why didn't they fix the giveaways? It's not like they didn't have time to do it. But then again R* has always been a bit sloppy and they love their "this will do" type of fixes.

• Like 2

CarlJohnson92

It really existed can see on this map very early there is river in this san fierro location I still had to edit the map.

Suposto-rio-deletado.png

Edited by CarlJohnson92

Very nice analysis.

• Like 1

Is there any river like this in real life california that could be the prototype for it?

5 hours ago, Lizard_8 said:

Is there any river like this in real life california that could be the prototype for it?

It's very difficult to say. The geography of rural San Andreas is pure fiction and is barely based on real life California/Nevada. I didn't find anything similar when looking at Google Maps.

I think a lot of stuff was badly cut and they didn`t cut them properly (Maybe it was because of Time/Release Date).. for example sometimes cops takes wrong turns (and finds themselves in the ocean) at the freeway where stands between san fierro highway and fort carson..

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

7 hours ago, ArmanCan said:

I think a lot of stuff was badly cut and they didn`t cut them properly (Maybe it was because of Time/Release Date).. for example sometimes cops takes wrong turns (and finds themselves in the ocean) at the freeway where stands between san fierro highway and fort carson..

The game is a rushed ramshackle mess in all regards. 

• Bruh 2

Yep, this theory is absolutely true. I've even done an experiment to find out if it's really true. I started a new game, used the ROCKETMAN glitch (a glitch which unlocks all bridges and buildings at the very start of the game) and All Mission Access Mod. I passed the Tanker Commander mission when the countryside was locked. I found out that only the first 4 trucking missions were available, despite the fact that the Trucking side mission itself had to be unavailable at that point of the game. The first 4 missions involve the Red County, Flint County and Whetstone all together. After I completed them, I got the message saying "The next Trucking mission will be available when you have access to San Fierro". It's funny because at that moment I even didn't have acess to the whole countryside at all. The next 2 trucking missions get available after The Green Sabre mission, even though the Trucking itself gets available a little bit later. So this experiment completely proves that at the very start of the game, you were supposed to be able to roam freely through both Red, Flint Counties and Whetstone, just as now you're able through the Red County. Here's my video:

TarRebririon

That explains why when I opened that particular section in MED, I noticed that the bridge could have a river underneath it. I think it's could have been a waterfall though, since counter-evidence 1 states that the height is not the same.

EDIT:

Also, noticed how empty the carpark feels. It looks dark, there not much lighting and hardly any cars spawned there. Such conditions is ideal for a river.

Edited by TarRebririon

I guess it's possible because, that, having another river in the area would be redundant, due to the size of the map and the existing river south of the supposedly deleted river are already huge and winding already. But still, it's my own opinion after all.

Since the first 4 trucking missions are available from the very start of the game, I believe that you were supposed to be able to roam freely without getting a 4 star wanted level not only through the Red County as now you can, but through the Flint County and Whetstone too. So you'd have gotten a 4 star wanted level only if you swam across the deleted river to San Fierro before passing the Are You Going to San Fierro? mission. I also believe that the Trucking side mission was supposed to be available from the very start of the game, but introduced to the player later in the Tanker Commander mission. Just like the Burglary side mission, which is actually available from the very start of the game, but introduced a bit later in Home Invasion. This would explain why the first 4 trucking mission are available from the start, 5th-6th after The Green Sabre and 7th-8th after Yay Ka-Boom-Boom.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pofkis said:

Since the first 4 trucking missions are available from the very start of the game,

Not necessarily, you could still have unlocked them after Catalina's mission (makes more sense), but before you unlock SF.

But it then raises an interesting question: if Angel Pine was unlocked from the start, then the Green Sabre mission doesn't make sense (like Are You Going To San Fierro doesn't now).

So maybe the map was actually split into four parts: you start in LS, then unlock the Whetstone countryside, then SF and then LV? This makes the game so much more logical then.

@Lioshenka At least it's clear that there was supposed to be a river which separated San Fierro from Whetstone and Flint County. If you swam it across before the Are You Going to San Fierro? mission, you'd have gotten a 4 star wanted level. However, we don't know whether or not you were supposed to be able to access the Flint County and Whetstone at the start of the game. So there are 2 scenarios: 1) Both Red County, Flint County and Whetstone were supposed to be accessible from the start of the game, even though you still weren't able to purchase safehouses there at that point. The Trucking side mission was supposed to be available from the start of the game, only it was introduced to the player later in Tanker Commander. After The Green Sabre, all safehouses in the whole countryside got available to purchase, just as it is in the final game. 2) Just as in the final game, Flint County and Whetstone weren't accessible at the start of the game (only Red County was). The Trucking side mission was supposed to be available after Tanker Commander too, but only 4 trucking missions were available instead of 6 since San Fierro was still locked and separated by a river.

Edited by Pofkis

CynicalMexican
On 6/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, Lizard_8 said:

Apparently the Pajaro River is the closest that comes to this.

Not that it means much. San Andreas' geography takes so many liberties and it's pretty inconsistent with real life geography anyway. 

CarlJohnson92

What happens if adding this river will be the reactive quest?

On 6/20/2021 at 6:50 AM, Pofkis said:

Since the first 4 trucking missions are available from the very start of the game, I believe that you were supposed to be able to roam freely without getting a 4 star wanted level not only through the Red County as now you can, but through the Flint County and Whetstone too. So you'd have gotten a 4 star wanted level only if you swam across the deleted river to San Fierro before passing the Are You Going to San Fierro? mission. I also believe that the Trucking side mission was supposed to be available from the very start of the game, but introduced to the player later in the Tanker Commander mission. Just like the Burglary side mission, which is actually available from the very start of the game, but introduced a bit later in Home Invasion. This would explain why the first 4 trucking mission are available from the start, 5th-6th after The Green Sabre and 7th-8th after Yay Ka-Boom-Boom.

It does make sense. When you combine Whetstone and Flint County with Red County, the only 2 places you could get to San Fierro would be the Whetstone Bridge on the NW side of Mt Chiliad and where this river would be were talking about. :D

sFwp0iS.jpg

And if you technically were not supposed to unlock San Fierro until you complete Are you going to San Fierro, it also makes sense that San Fierro would be locked but not the countryside. 

So based on Flint County and Red County being unlocked at start of game based on the findings, would all of LV and the desert be unlocked together when you completed Yay Ka Boom Boom. Or would it also somehow be split like San Fierro and Flint County would be.

Or maybe it was just easier to scrap the River idea and just have 2 sets of city/countryside unlocking together. 

PX3Z1ZX.png

On 6/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, ArmanCan said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of that location in game? :D

PX3Z1ZX.png

@Xiled No, Tierra Robada and Bone County probably weren't supposed to be separated from Las Venturas. Probably the countryside was going to be unlocked after The Green Sabre (it's unknown whether or not Flint County and Whetstone were supposed to be accessible at the start of the game), San Fierro was going to be after Are You Going to San Fierro? and both the desert and Las Venturas were after Yay Ka-Boom-Boom (even though the properties in LV got available to purchase only after Learning to Fly). So yes, since the desert and Las Venturas were going to be unlocked together, Rockstar dropped the San Fierro river idea because they probably thought that it'd be better to unlock both the countryside and San Fierro together as well.

10 hours ago, Xiled said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of that location in game? :D

I saw it literally the other day while taking Euros to the export docks.

• 5 weeks later...

More info:
English and other subtitles available

• Like 2

Is that what Aaron Garbut was thinking 18 years back? River or no River?

Things tasted different, looked different. I remember those peaceful, simple days. Time to let it rest...

• Like 2