1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

What is the creepiest area in the GTA series?

billiejoearmstrong8

The abandoned Sprunk factory in IV. I stumbled into it through the tunnel by accident when I was randomly exploring at night when I first got to Alderney (before I knew the area at all or went there in a mission) and it really creeped me out.

The series of project buildings with courtyards in the middle in Chamberlain Hills/Davis in V have a creepy atmosphere at night, a combination of the ambient noise, the feeling of getting lost in them, and the real danger of getting attacked. I think the first time I explored them I ended up getting stabbed, might be why I see them that way. 

CynicalMexican

The desert in San Andreas. Used to legit think you can get abducted by aliens. Truth be told, that place is still unsettling at night.

GTA 3 overall had a slightly creepy atmosphere, especially Shoreside Vale which felt more isolated.

And not necessarily creepy, just odd. RDR, not GTA. Sea of Coronado. I'm always curious as to what exactly is beyond, the map just straight up ends there with no real explanation. It's kind of a mystery without any context. The dead friar in RDR2 only makes it weirder. 

HOW'S ANNIE?

Saint Marks in GTA III. The only place in the whole series that still makes me sh*t my pants every time I venture through.

• Like 1

As everyone said so far, III's LC (especially Portland by the docks) and San Andreas' countryside. I don't know how they did it but the atmosphere was intimidating.

• Like 1
CynicalMexican

GTA 3's atmosphere in general is very intimidating; dark, dreary, cynical. Honestly, it's the video game version of the Catcher in the Rye. 

• Like 1

Copying my earlier reply to a similar topic :)

For me the most scariest place has to be Panopticon in GTA SA. When I went on my yet another Leatherface hunt I was so absolutely terrified going there - I parked my car up by the bloody sheds just before the mid-night, the fog has just set in, so I climbed on the roof of one of the sheds there too afraid to get down onto the ground. I literally spend most of that night just jumping from one high point to another - roof to logs, logs to another logs. I nipped into the bloody sheds once or twice, but I had to be really quick and got out of there as soon as I had seen the blood spatters, which is what I came to see in the first place.

To be honest, all scary places that I can name are in SA, III has the most beautiful and realistic atmosphere of the series, but it has no scary places. SA has absolutely nailed this.

The other scary places have to be:

- B'o'B and Shady Cabin. Again, I went there at night in a lorry, WCTR blaring from the speakers, but was too scared to get out so just kept driving and hoping I don't overturn.

- Palomino Creek's jetty and North Rock cabin on a foggy night

- Big Ear if you want it to be scary. I used to run around at night listening to Mr Hat and Mr Trenchcoat. Had a great time.

- Las Brujas, and that road that goes up the hill. Not as scary as the others, but still. The hills have eyes 😟

- Almost forgot - CJ's house. You never know if Beverly's ghost is there, or if Samara was going to jump at you. There was a period of time I used to dash across the living room to the diskette, before eventually starting to save elsewhere :)

R* did the most brilliant job in designing SA map and giving these places their character. The weather settings were well thought through and polished to precision.

GTA 4 underground was done pretty well, but nowhere as creepy as the places in SA.

GTA 5 doesn't really have anything scary. The moment you manage to find a tiny piece of landscape that's not inhibited which in itself is a hard task, all you have to think of are the wild cats. Literally, there is no time to fear, there is just the feeling of annoyance knowing that one of them bastards will come and bite you. The underwater sounds freak me out though.

VC's most scary area was the mansion on the Prawn Island. Reminded me of the Dangerous Dave 2, that's all.

CynicalMexican

I feel like the eeriness of San Andreas is difficult to recreate, even though there's nothing there.

Even the creepyiness of RDR2 felt a bit forced if you know what I mean. 

Imagine if they hired someone like RL Stine to make some GTA 6 myths. 

• excuseme 1
The Journey
2 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

I feel like the eeriness of San Andreas is difficult to recreate, even though there's nothing there.

Imagine if they hired someone like RL Stine to make some GTA 6 myths. 

Nah man. The swamps in Lemoyne at night are just as creepy as Back o' Beyond in my opinion.

Makes me excited to see how they handle Florida's swamps if GTA 6 is Miami and surrounding.

• Like 2
yungstirjoey666

Not exactly an area but a mission in GTA III where we had to deal with these suicide bombers. It wasn't the bombers themselves that made it creepy or their faces or their weird quotes, but the fact that they were drugged with SPANK. I'd bet you that they weren't even suicidal in the first place, but actually drugged and convinced to do so by Catalina.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

Not exactly an area but a mission in GTA III where we had to deal with these suicide bombers. It wasn't the bombers themselves that made it creepy or their faces or their weird quotes, but the fact that they were drugged with SPANK. I'd bet you that they weren't even suicidal in the first place, but actually drugged and convinced to do so by Catalina.

They had creepy faces, probably the creepiest pedestrians in the series.

• Like 1
CynicalMexican
On 6/7/2021 at 7:01 PM, The Journey said:

Nah man. The swamps in Lemoyne at night are just as creepy as Back o' Beyond in my opinion.

Makes me excited to see how they handle Florida's swamps if GTA 6 is Miami and surrounding.

I'll give you that. Lemoyne at night is extremely unsettling.

Big Smoke's Crack Den after the final mission. I watched countless videos of people examining that area as a kid but never dared venture into it myself. The one time I tried, I got scared to death of nothing and shut down the game.

7 hours ago, E Revere said:

Big Smoke's Crack Den after the final mission. I watched countless videos of people examining that area as a kid but never dared venture into it myself. The one time I tried, I got scared to death of nothing and shut down the game.

I think I heard video game noises coming from there while I was exploring roughly 15 years ago, so I was like no thanks and bailed. :panic:

Special mentions to GTA 3's Blue Hell for the f*cked up trail effect and camera screw, and SA's Back o' Beyond for being particularly isolated and like a hotspot for creepy myths.

1 hour ago, Carbonox said:

Special mentions to GTA 3's Blue Hell for the f*cked up trail effect

Yeah, I hate it too. I know a way to get rid of it if you're interested.

On-topic: Credits for the creepiest place goes to Salvatore's mansion in III. The whole place is always completely quiet and there's literally nobody around outside of missions, and then there's that haunted grand piano inside the building which plays by itself with no apparent performer sitting at it. Also, Back o' Beyond, Shady Creeks, Mount Chiliad, Shady Cabin, Fern Ridge and North Rock are all sinister-looking yet fun to explore at night.

Edited by H-G
On 6/8/2021 at 1:58 AM, CynicalMexican said:

Nah, I got lost several times in the GTA SA map, but I never felt as creeped out as in RDR2, I think the fact that the latter feels way more alive helps with that feeling.

RDR2's map is largely unsettled which creates that feeling more of "something being out there". GTA V is modern day on the other hand, so you never really feel quite alone.

Kinda why I really like New Austin especially Gaptooth Ridge and Cholla Springs. Yeah there's not much to do, but the emptiness is so peaceful and kinda realistic.

57 minutes ago, H-G said:

Credits for the creepiest place goes to Salvatore's mansion in III. 

Why are so many people scared of Sal's mansion? I never thought it was remotely spooky, I mean at least I could feel safe there, away from all the Mafia members.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

RDR2's map is largely unsettled which creates that feeling more of "something being out there". GTA V is modern day on the other hand, so you never really feel quite alone.

Kinda why I really like New Austin especially Gaptooth Ridge and Cholla Springs. Yeah there's not much to do, but the emptiness is so peaceful and kinda realistic.

I feel like it's less it being modern-day and more that R* decided to put things everywhere. Sure, the forest you're in looks creepy, until you turn the sound on and hear cars and trucks roaring on. The desert was done a major disservice in V, too. Even with its tiny area, they still could've refrained from putting a billboard. f*cking. everywhere. Seriously, are there that many billboards just sitting there, chilling in the desert?

Edited by The Journey
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, The Journey said:

I feel like it's less it being modern-day and more that R* decided to put things everywhere. Sure, the forest you're in looks creepy, until you turn the sound on and hear cars and trucks roaring on. The desert was done a major disservice in V, too. Even with its tiny area, they still could've refrained from putting a billboard. f*cking. everywhere. Seriously, are there that many billboards just sitting there, chilling in the desert?

Yeah I hated that about the desert area, it was just so awkward and you never felt "away" from society. 

That, and the poor excuse of Sandy Shores which was basically redneck Detroit or Juarez

1 hour ago, BennyGod said:

Why are so many people scared of Sal's mansion? I never thought it was remotely spooky, I mean at least I could feel safe there, away from all the Mafia members.

It may provide cover from all those Leone goons, but the piano playing by itself gives it a spooky tone.

2 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

Yeah I hated that about the desert area, it was just so awkward and you never felt "away" from society. 

That, and the poor excuse of Sandy Shores which was basically redneck Detroit or Juarez

It would've been atleast a little bit better if they removed a fraction of those billboards that covered the entire surface.

I can't complain about Sandy Shores, but most of the desert sucks and feels like a suburb.

Edited by The Journey
1 hour ago, The Journey said:

It would've been atleast a little bit better if they removed a fraction of those billboards that covered the entire surface.

I can't complain about Sandy Shores, but most of the desert sucks and feels like a suburb.

Maybe the desert was decided on slightly later on? Perhaps the area was supposed to be the San Fernando Valley but they changed it a bit after preproduction.