1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Missing songs from GTA soundtracks

yungstirjoey666
Posted (edited)

Basically games where the radio station is missing songs

I think GTA III is missing a jazz station. I mean, the theme song is essentially jazz. Would've fit the dark New York-esque theme that the game had.

I also think that San Andreas's Radio X should've featured some Metallica, Motley Crue, and Nirvana. I've heard that they almost featured Nirvana, but Courtney Love stopped them from doing so.

So what are your thoughts? What are some other music that a GTA game is missing?

Edited by yungstirjoey666
CynicalMexican

GTA 3: Hard agree on a jazz station. I'm actually shocked there is no Jazz in the game, except one song on LIPS. 

GTA VC: Eh, I never cared much for 80s American culture. So idk.

GTA SA: Definitely a punk station as it would fit with SA's vibe so well. Also a cumbia station playing Spanish language music. Imagine listening to Selena and Sonora Dinamita while driving through Los Santos' barrios, or on a road trip throughout the state.

GTA IV: I like the pre patch soundtrack as it is. Only thing missing is a contemporary pop station, but I assume much of those songs were/are expensive. I do play the PC version these days, so I just add said songs on Independence FM which itself is designed to play like a normal station.

GTA V - the entire radio soundtrack is a mess. If anything, (controversial opinions), I would've had Soulwax be a 2011-13 EDM station, cut some songs from LSRR and instead add songs on Vinewood Blvd Radio (which, for some reason, is small), and make NSP a more contemporary pop station. I'll say it again - GTA 5's radio feels like they tried to please everyone and ended up pleasing no one.

• Like 2
yungstirjoey666
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CynicalMexican said:

GTA V - the entire radio soundtrack is a mess. If anything, (controversial opinions), I would've had Soulwax be a 2011-13 EDM station, cut some songs from LSRR and instead add songs on Vinewood Blvd Radio (which, for some reason, is small), and make NSP a more contemporary pop station. I'll say it again - GTA 5's radio feels like they tried to please everyone and ended up pleasing no one.

Fully agree with GTA V; for the main game they should've only included songs that were no later than 2013. Also they had way too many radio stations, especially the hip-hop stuff. As much as I love 80s music, I think Rockstars is oversaturating that era in their GTA games. At least it didn't really fit in the Los Santos setting.

And don't even get me started on the poor inclusion of Spanish-speaking music. They only had East Los FM, and that was lackluster. Los Angeles in real life is like almost half Hispanic. If they continue with Vice City, they really need to focus more on including Latin music, especially since Miami is majorly Hispanic descent.

I just hope they don't add a heavy metal radio station in Los Santos anytime soon, because I would like to save that for GTA VI.

Also as for GTA San Andreas, Radio X was good enough as a "punk" station. Maybe they should've included more authentic punk rock music in that station.

• Like 1

-GTA3 - a Techno station. Rise FM was meh af for Trance, repetitive and not melodic enough, but proper late 90s Techno would be sweet.

-VC - a radio station playing avant-garde electronica along the lines of Jean-Michel Jarre would be good

-SA - there was suposed to be an early rave/techno station in place of K-Rose. What a f*cking shame it was cut...

-IV - just one niche electronic music radio station?! ARE YOU NUTS? I'd have like at least 3, one with declining Drum and Bass, one with early 2000s Trance, one with oldschool NYC Techno/Breaks for those stuck in the past etc! 

CynicalMexican
2 hours ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

Fully agree with GTA V; for the main game they should've only included songs that were no later than 2013. Also they had way too many radio stations, especially the hip-hop stuff. As much as I love 80s music, I think Rockstars is oversaturating that era in their GTA games. At least it didn't really fit in the Los Santos setting.

And don't even get me started on the poor inclusion of Spanish-speaking music. They only had East Los FM, and that was lackluster. Los Angeles in real life is like almost half Hispanic. If they continue with Vice City, they really need to focus more on including Latin music, especially since Miami is majorly Hispanic descent.

I just hope they don't add a heavy metal radio station in Los Santos anytime soon, because I would like to save that for GTA VI.

Also as for GTA San Andreas, Radio X was good enough as a "punk" station. Maybe they should've included more authentic punk rock music in that station.

Yeah GTA V had way too much dad rock. I get it, 80s rock is pretty beloved, but come on, there was way too much of it in a modern day LA game.

Completely agree with East Los as well. It's awful. San Juan Sounds was WAY better.

psxdriverplayer
17 hours ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

I think GTA III is missing a jazz station. I mean, the theme song is essentially jazz.

Ya like jazz? Because I like jazz. Would want jazz stations, no matter whyt the game is.

That III theme is pretty great, so is that final Lips 106 track.

GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories lack a reggae station. I mean, all the other 3D universe games (III, SA, LCS) have one, and Vice City, with its sunny settings, is a perfect plays to listen to some riddims and stuff.

GTA San Andreas should've had a pop station. Like, a mix of 1980's and early 1990's pop music.

All the HD universe games lack a classical music station.

GTA V lacks a proper ambient station, a proper jazz station, as well as an extreme metal station.

• Like 2
yungstirjoey666
5 hours ago, [Ambient] said:

GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories lack a reggae station. I mean, all the other 3D universe games (III, SA, LCS) have one, and Vice City, with its sunny settings, is a perfect plays to listen to some riddims and stuff.

I suppose for the case of VC and VCS, Rockstars was aiming for that idealized 80s vaporwave colorful tropical Scarface/Miami Vice-esque aesthetic. Not that I'm totally against it, but they should've also made Vice City a bit more real to real-life Miami. I thought they did a better job remaining truthful with Vice City than with Los Santos, but reggae would've fit more with a location that is near the Carribean.

The Tracker

-III: A late 90's-early 00's Rock Station. Some sub-genres like Nu-metal would've suited game's Y2K vibes perfectly.

-VC: Almost nothing, for me the soundtrack is almost perfect, maybe a Thrash Metal radio station.

-SA: A Mexican radio station should have been in the game, the same way Vice City had a Cuban radio station, San Andreas depicts not only the black american gang culture that peaked at the time, but also the mexican american/chicano gang culture with not only one, but three gangs, and even characters like Cesar, so the fact that something like this is missing is pretty surprising, a Chicano Rap radio station could have been included and it would have been pretty welcomed. Also, to this day I can't believe how Radio X (One of my favourite radio station in the franchise) missed what probably are the two most important bands of the early 90's, and that defined the alternative rock movement of the time, Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

-IV: Late 00's pop songs, they would've been featured in the missing Head Radio, that according to some sources, was supossed to be reappear in the game.

-V: I would split Non-stop Pop into two, a radio station with the modern songs (And mix them with some early 10's EDM) and a radio station with the old songs, featuring even more pop classics, also I'd remove the LSRR pop songs and put them there. I felt Space 103.2 needed WAY more songs. I'd rather get rid of Soulwax FM completely, and replace it with The Nightride FM, which was removed for some reason, I'd add some Vaporwave songs to Radio Mirror Park. I'd remove most of East LS FM, adding more Mexican music from the 80's-90's, and of course, I would add a 00's metal radio station.

• Like 1
CynicalMexican
1 hour ago, The Tracker said:

-III: A late 90's-early 00's Rock Station. Some sub-genres like Nu-metal would've suited game's Y2K vibes perfectly.

-VC: Almost nothing, for me the soundtrack is almost perfect, maybe a Thrash Metal radio station.

-SA: A Mexican radio station should have been in the game, the same way Vice City had a Cuban radio station, San Andreas depicts not only the black american gang culture that peaked at the time, but also the mexican american/chicano gang culture with not only one, but three gangs, and even characters like Cesar, so the fact that something like this is missing is pretty surprising, a Chicano Rap radio station could have been included and it would have been pretty welcomed. Also, to this day I can't believe how Radio X (One of my favourite radio station in the franchise) missed what probably are the two most important bands of the early 90's, and that defined the alternative rock movement of the time, Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

-IV: Late 00's pop songs, they would've been featured in the missing Head Radio, that according to some sources, was supossed to be reappear in the game.

-V: I would split Non-stop Pop into two, a radio station with the modern songs (And mix them with some early 10's EDM) and a radio station with the old songs, featuring even more pop classics, also I'd remove the LSRR pop songs and put them there. I felt Space 103.2 needed WAY more songs. I'd rather get rid of Soulwax FM completely, and replace it with The Nightride FM, which was removed for some reason, I'd add some Vaporwave songs to Radio Mirror Park. I'd remove most of East LS FM, adding more Mexican music from the 80's-90's, and of course, I would add a 00's metal radio station.

I see I'm not the only one who plays GTA IV with late 2000s pop music! 

The Tracker
3 minutes ago, CynicalMexican said:

I see I'm not the only one who plays GTA IV with late 2000s pop music! 

Funny enough, I haven't done it, but would be interesting.

CynicalMexican
1 hour ago, The Tracker said:

Funny enough, I haven't done it, but would be interesting.

I've posted about it before, but I would seriously recommend it. As odd as it sounds, listening to something like "Poker Face" while driving through LC is really fitting, it meshes well with the game's 2008 atmosphere. It helps that Independence FM is designed to act like any other radio station in game. 

yungstirjoey666
4 hours ago, The Tracker said:

I think my idea of a contemporary pop station is to focus on songs that were released no earlier than five years before.

For example, San Andreas would play pop songs from 1987-1992, LCS would play from 1993-1998, III would play from 1996-2001, IV would play songs from 2003-2008, and V would play from 2008-2013

I think Vice City and VCS were the best in terms of contemporary pop because they focused mainly on hits from late 70s-mid 80s.

CynicalMexican
48 minutes ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

I think my idea of a contemporary pop station is to focus on songs that were released no earlier than five years before.

For example, San Andreas would play pop songs from 1987-1992, LCS would play from 1993-1998, III would play from 1996-2001, IV would play songs from 2003-2008, and V would play from 2008-2013

I think Vice City and VCS were the best in terms of contemporary pop because they focused mainly on hits from late 70s-mid 80s.

By the time VC was in development, a lot of those hits were probably a lot less expensive in terms of rights. 

It's why VC/VCS/SA were heavy on hits. IIRC, Head Radio and Lips 106 had originally recorded music because the rights to obtain pop music were too expensive for R* in 2001.

And you basically pointed out why Non Stop Pop FM in GTA 5 is such a letdown. It's mostly old school hits with a few recent ish ones mixed in. It doesn't mesh well at all, given that pop music is constantly changing each year. 

Though I did like Music Sounds Better With You and Hear Me Tonight. Perhaps GTA 5 should have had a late 90s early 00s house station. I love that era of house, lol

HOW'S ANNIE?

Vice City: A country station. As mentioned above, VC went for a more stylised 80s aesthetic, but it's just weird to think of a Southern state without the southern music.

yungstirjoey666
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

Vice City: A country station. As mentioned above, VC went for a more stylised 80s aesthetic, but it's just weird to think of a Southern state without the southern music.

To some who mainly focus on culture instead of geographical location, Florida is not considered a "southern" state, at least not "Dixie" southern per se.

Either way, VC was missing a reggae station. Miami has the second largest Jamaican population in the US behind NYC. There aren't that many in California, but there is a significant Hispanic population (mainly Mexican, Guatemalan and Salvadorian), so having such station in San Andreas but no Spanish-speaking station there doesn't really make sense.

• Like 1
CynicalMexican
29 minutes ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

To some who mainly focus on culture instead of geographical location, Florida is not considered a "southern" state, at least not "Dixie" southern per se.

Either way, VC was missing a reggae station. Miami has the second largest Jamaican population in the US behind NYC. There aren't that many in California, but there is a significant Hispanic population (mainly Mexican, Guatemalan and Salvadorian), so having such station in San Andreas but no Spanish-speaking station there doesn't really make sense.

Miami isn't a southern city in any sense. It's closer to Latin America than the Dixie.

As for KJah in SA, I wonder if they added that station more for artistic purposes; the somber vibe of that station fits LS extremely well.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:46 AM, The Tracker said:

I'd rather get rid of Soulwax FM completely, and replace it with The Nightride FM, which was removed for some reason

Nightride FM actually never existed during GTA V's development, it is rumored that Kavinsky made it up for free publicity.

I wish the 90s-early '00s alt rock station PMR wasn't cut during V's development though.

Edited by horsewithnoname
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, horsewithnoname said:

Nightride FM actually never existed during GTA V's development, it is rumored that Kavinsky made it up for free publicity.

Well, I lived a lie then, still doesn't change the fact that a music station like that one should've been in the game.

3 hours ago, horsewithnoname said:

I wish the 90s-early '00s alt rock station PMR wasn't cut during V's development though.

Yeah. I don't understand Rockstar's fascination with boomer rock and saturating LSRR with so many tracks. Meanwhile VBR is an afterthought. 

2 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

Yeah. I don't understand Rockstar's fascination with boomer rock and saturating LSRR with so many tracks. Meanwhile VBR is an afterthought. 

Yeah, Rockstars's modern rock stations from the HD games feel more underground and as if they didn't care much about them. If they have enough money for license (and they most likely do), the next rock station should have a few slightly well-known bands, like Daughtry.

Despite the abundance of radio stations, I think the only relevant ones that people mostly stick to are NSP, LSRR, WCC, CX, RLS, and maybe iFruit and Rebel. That's because they have the artists that people are more familiar with.

2 hours ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

Yeah, Rockstars's modern rock stations from the HD games feel more underground and as if they didn't care much about them. If they have enough money for license (and they most likely do), the next rock station should have a few slightly well-known bands, like Daughtry.

Despite the abundance of radio stations, I think the only relevant ones that people mostly stick to are NSP, LSRR, WCC, CX, RLS, and maybe iFruit and Rebel. That's because they have the artists that people are more familiar with.

Radio Broker was pretty solid IMO. I don't mind the underground sound of it too much as it tries to play off the Brooklyn rock scene circa 2008.

Some Weezer would've been dope. Coldplay's "Paradise" would've been f*cking PERFECT for GTA 5.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, yungstirjoey666 said:

I think GTA III is missing a jazz station. I mean, the theme song is essentially jazz. Would've fit the dark New York-esque theme that the game had.

I also think that San Andreas's Radio X should've featured some Metallica, Motley Crue, and Nirvana. I've heard that they almost featured Nirvana, but Courtney Love stopped them from doing so.

Jazz in GTA III would have been nice.

Metallica (any maybe even Motley Crue) wouldn't fit on Radio X. Don't need another inconsistent mess like Vice City's V-Rock.

Edited by B Dawg
5 hours ago, B Dawg said:

Metallica (any maybe even Motley Crue) wouldn't fit on Radio X. Don't need another inconsistent mess like Vice City's V-Rock.

I was mostly referring to their songs from the Dr. Feelgood or Black Album. I thought they would fit the early 90s West Coast atmosphere.

Also I wonder why you think V-Rock was a mess.

4 hours ago, B Dawg said:

The song list is all over the place. Like having Lover Boy & Twister Sister on the same station as Slayer and Megadeth.

I can understand why. That being said, during the 80s they lumped together everything hard rock related. It didn't matter if it was AC/DC or Mercyful Fate; hardcore conservatives considered it all "satanic."

Anyways if you ask me, Slayer and Motley Crue have more in common with each other than Dragonforce does with Cannibal Corpse.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

I can understand why. That being said, during the 80s they lumped together everything hard rock related. It didn't matter if it was AC/DC or Mercyful Fate; hardcore conservatives considered it all "satanic."

Our good friend Jack was leading that charge too.