3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

NVIDIA announces DLSS support for Red Dead Redemption 2

BS_BlackScout

On 7/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, cp1dell said:

Gotta be some optimizations. I haven’t really had any issues with 4K and DLSS set to performance.

Look again at trees please if you have the same issues some others of us face before you install the new driver.

I will now check if the new driver fixes my issues.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, Pointi1978 said:

Look again at trees please if you have the same issues some others of us face before you install the new driver.

I will now check if the new driver fixes my issues.

I have had no issues with DLSS. It seems everyone that has image quality issues is setting their resolution to 1080p, meaning that DLSS is trying to upscale the image to 1080p from 720p or lower—depending on what DLSS setting you’re using. Everything, including trees, looked like crap to me too when I mistakingly did the same.

You need to set your resolution to something like 4K. Then the performance setting means it upscales a 1080p image. Quality upscales a 1440p image. You can find the percentage factors for each setting online, I think I even posted them. Point is, if you’re going to use DLSS, you want the input resolution to be 1080p or higher. Anything less than that doesn’t give the game/DLSS enough of an image to work with.

On 7/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, cp1dell said:

I have had no issues with DLSS. It seems everyone that has image quality issues is setting their resolution to 1080p, meaning that DLSS is trying to upscale the image to 1080p from 720p or lower—depending on what DLSS setting you’re using. Everything, including trees, looked like crap to me too when I mistakingly did the same.

You need to set your resolution to something like 4K. Then the performance setting means it upscales a 1080p image. Quality upscales a 1440p image. You can find the percentage factors for each setting online, I think I even posted them. Point is, if you’re going to use DLSS, you want the input resolution to be 1080p or higher. Anything less than that doesn’t give the game/DLSS enough of an image to work with.

I have an 4k OLED, so my resolution is set to 4k and DLSS Quality with my 3080 OC.

And sadly the new drivers do not fix my image problems. The whole screen gets a little bit brighter when turning the camera, because there is more light shining through tree branches when moving because there is no AA applied to the image while turning the camera.

Just look at the 2 videos posted a page before, it just looks terrible. :(:(:( 

Edited by Pointi1978

On 7/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, LEXX141 said:

Thanks DLSS! Looking at the tree on the right.

Yupp, thats exactly the problem I am facing. On an OLED in a scene with many trees this makes the whole screen appear brighter when moving the camera. Very irritating.

SWATsqad™

can confirm that with the SDK version of the DLSS 2.2.11 DLL, disabling forced sharpening removes the annoying trailing. You can sign up for free at the nvidia dev portal to get the dll and toggle the setting ingame with ctrl+alt+F7. Or follow the link in this reddit comment to google dropbox 

• Like 2

So we got a FSR mod for GTA V since it’s open source. Now that the SDK is out for DLSS I wonder if we’ll see something become available for V. Would love to get DLSS in that too.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:18 AM, SWATsqad™ said:

can confirm that with the SDK version of the DLSS 2.2.11 DLL, disabling forced sharpening removes the annoying trailing. You can sign up for free at the nvidia dev portal to get the dll and toggle the setting ingame with ctrl+alt+F7. Or follow the link in this reddit comment to google dropbox 

Seems this would fix my issues. If it was not for the watermark of this version... :(

• Realistic Steak! 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:37 PM, LEXX141 said:

Thanks DLSS! Looking at the tree on the right.

Update nvidia driver 
+
Use quality or balanced mode! ((perf mode is for mid-low end cards and it sucks! I have this problem only with perf and ultra perf mode! but quality and balanced mode is amazing! makes it sharper and smoother! and maybe it's not related but go test Fast sync in nvidia driver if you don't have gsync + v sync and triple buffering off!))

Edited by WanteD1

What is DLSS and why is it so important?

On 7/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, eyeballs said:

What is DLSS and why is it so important?

Basically a very good upscaling/anti-aliasing technique using deep-learning AI. An AI is taught what a game looks like with like x56 1080p resolution or something, something crazy. So it takes all that data, and knows what things are supposed to look like at such a high resolution. So instead of having to render a game at 4K, you can give it a 1080p image, and the AI figures out on the fly what the image is supposed to look like at a higher resolution based on the image you’re allowing it to render at.

It uses ray tracing cores on RTX capable cards, so it’s’ impact is separate from the the rest of the graphics settings being handled by the GPU.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks!

On 7/21/2021 at 8:07 PM, WanteD1 said:

Update nvidia driver 
+
Use quality or balanced mode! ((perf mode is for mid-low end cards and it sucks! I have this problem only with perf and ultra perf mode! but quality and balanced mode is amazing! makes it sharper and smoother! and maybe it's not related but go test Fast sync in nvidia driver if you don't have gsync + v sync and triple buffering off!))

This sadly all does not help against the forced image sharpening of the implemented DLSS Version in RDR2 in moving pictures.

And yes, I only use quality and / or balanced mode as my 3080 is fast enough for this in 4k. And my OLED does support GSync and VRR.

Alright well what the hell, ever since I updated my drivers the DLSS setting disappeared from the game. Dammit Nvidia.

EDIT: Somehow the DLSS .dll was deleted.

EDIT2: Don't want to double post, but what ever happened to the video/article Digital Foundry was going to do about RDR2's DLSS implementation?

Edited by cp1dell

• 1 month later...
MechanicMammal

I have stopped using DLSS in RDR2, it seemed to make hair, beards and horses tail's  look really weird and pixilated. (they still are a bit but not nearly as bad).

It is running on a Alienware M17 R4 laptop (RTX3070) at 1080p maxed settings and to be honest I was not seeing all that much of a performance increase using it, going from a 85fps average to just over 90fps with DLSS switched to quality. It seems like my 10870h CPU is the bottleneck at 1080p so I guess DLSS makes less of a difference in these circumstances.

I should get a external 1440p monitor really :) Kind of a shame my lappy only comes with either a 1080p 360hz or a 4k screen, a 1440p 144hz screen would have been a better option for me in my opinion.

• 5 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, MechanicMammal said:

I have stopped using DLSS in RDR2, it seemed to make hair, beards and horses tail's  look really weird and pixilated. (they still are a bit but not nearly as bad).

It is running on a Alienware M17 R4 laptop (RTX3070) at 1080p maxed settings and to be honest I was not seeing all that much of a performance increase using it, going from a 85fps average to just over 90fps with DLSS switched to quality. It seems like my 10870h CPU is the bottleneck at 1080p so I guess DLSS makes less of a difference in these circumstances.

I should get a external 1440p monitor really :) Kind of a shame my lappy only comes with either a 1080p 360hz or a 4k screen, a 1440p 144hz screen would have been a better option for me in my opinion.

There is auto exposure work around to this

• 3 weeks later...

@WanteD1 I don't know about non-Steam versions, but I've seen people upload newer DLSS version files from other games so you can drag and drop them into other games that support DLSS. Never tried it myself though, so not sure how well it works.

EDIT: TechPowerUp hosts up to date versions of the nvngx.dlss file, whenever a game releases with a new updated version of DLSS. So you can check that every now and then. So when some game supports and comes with DLSS 2.3 you can expect to find it here.

Edited by cp1dell

AdamNortonUK

If dropping the file into the game directory, you will need to do it after the Rockstar Launcher has loaded, as it will replace it every time, so bare this mind for the Rockstar Launcher version of the game, the steam version of the game you don't need to replace the file every time.

• 1 month later...
Mexicola9302

I just used DLSS 2.4 in RDR2 Singleplayer, it works great but everything is way too sharp, is there any way to turn off the sharpening?

I mean using DLSS 2.4 i can't see any difference in visual quality if i go from quality down to performance, i really don't see any difference, but i get higher minimum frames of like 67 FPS, with everything maxed out in 2160p well except water physics i got that at a bit under 50% i think. I mean it looks amazing playing the game maxed out and im happy with how DLSS works it's wonder. I just need a way to turn off that extreme sharpening effect.

Before i always only played with the Digital Foundry optimized settings, but with DLSS that is not needed anymore, i just cranked it all up yay. With the regular "old" DLSS that always gets redownloaded the game looks like garbage, compared to 2.4.

AdamNortonUK
3 hours ago, Mexicola9302 said:

I just used DLSS 2.4 in RDR2 Singleplayer, it works great but everything is way too sharp, is there any way to turn off the sharpening?

I've found that I had some issues with 2.4 and reverted to using the previous version 2.3.9, as it seems to perfect at the moment for me anyway..

Mexicola9302
On 4/16/2022 at 12:40 AM, AdamNortonUK said:

I've found that I had some issues with 2.4 and reverted to using the previous version 2.3.9, as it seems to perfect at the moment for me anyway..

Yeah im using 2.3.9 now too, after googling a while in the last few days. But the problem with the sharpness is the same with 2.3.9. I wish i could turn that off somehow. Especially treetops look way too sharp, where the trees don't have such dense leaves, but that's so pretty much the only thing where it annoys me, sure all the textures looks sharp af too, but that isn't so bad, but the trees yeah they are annoying.