2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

NVIDIA announces DLSS support for Red Dead Redemption 2

BS_BlackScout

I have the problem when I turn on DLSS (Quality Setting does not matter) that there seems to be some Filter over my image when the camera is perfectly still. As soon as I move the camera just slightly this kind of blur/Anti Aliasing is not applied anymore.

Very visible on trees in front of the blue sky. It looks like there is some kind of sharpening filter applied if the picture is moving or vice versa.

If you have many trees and blue sky the difference is so high that as soon as you move your mouse you have the feeling that the screen gets brighter, and darker again when you stand still.

It is even more noticeable if you use a joypad to turn the camera slowly.

Playing around with the TAA Sharpening slider ingame did not change anything.

This is really annoying and does not happen if I use normal TAA and/or image scaling.

I play on 4k using TUF 3080 OC ona 65" OLED, 120hz. Anyone else noticing this problem? And how do I get rid of it? (Well obviously I could just play 4k native, but hey...)

Edited by Pointi1978

SWATsqad™
On 7/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Pointi1978 said:

I have the problem when I turn on DLSS (Quality Setting does not matter) that there seems to be some Filter over my image when the camera is perfectly still. As soon as I move the camera just slightly this kind of blur/Anti Aliasing is not applied anymore.

Very visible on trees in front of the blue sky. It looks like there is some kind of sharpening filter applied if the picture is moving or vice versa.

If you have many trees and blue sky the difference is so high that as soon as you move your mouse you have the feeling that the screen gets brighter, and darker again when you stand still.

It is even more noticeable if you use a joypad to turn the camera slowly.

Playing around with the TAA Sharpening slider ingame did not change anything.

This is really annoying and does not happen if I use normal TAA and/or image scaling.

I play on 4k using TUF 3080 OC ona 65" OLED, 120hz. Anyone else noticing this problem? And how do I get rid of it? (Well obviously I could just play 4k native, but hey...)

Try turning off game mode on your TV. Or pixel overdrive. and any blur reduction settings. It should mostly go away. Can also try non-game mode and report back 🙂 If we find a way to use ultra quality mode, it should fix some of it 

Could also be a bug with dx12, try switching to Vulkan

Edited by SWATsqad™

On 7/13/2021 at 7:46 PM, SWATsqad™ said:

Try turning off game mode on your TV. Or pixel overdrive. and any blur reduction settings. It should mostly go away. Can also try non-game mode and report back 🙂 If we find a way to use ultra quality mode, it should fix some of it 

Could also be a bug with dx12, try switching to Vulkan

Never had to turn off game mode since i have this TV. Isnt the whole point of the game mode to get your games unmodified by the TV and thus have a higher *EDIT *lower of course ^^ response time?

The problem goes away if i turn off DLSS, so its not my TV :)

I already used Vulkan. Should try DX12 maybe lol :D 

EDIT: Nah, its the same with DX12. The image gets much softer when the camera stands still, resulting in a slightly darker image overall. Sadly I react very strong to differences in image brightnes, and makes the game unplayable for me this way :( 

Edited by Pointi1978

SWATsqad™
On 7/13/2021 at 9:51 PM, Pointi1978 said:

Never had to turn off game mode since i have this TV. Isnt the whole point of the game mode to get your games unmodified by the TV and thus have a higher *EDIT *lower of course ^^ response time?

The problem goes away if i turn off DLSS, so its not my TV :)

I already used Vulkan. Should try DX12 maybe lol :D 

Instead of trying my suggestions you dismiss them with uneducated guessing, ok then. Surely won't be wasting time explaining how television motion handling and dlss temporal contrast enhancing works.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, SWATsqad™ said:

Instead of trying my suggestions you dismiss them with uneducated guessing, ok then. Surely won't be wasting time explaining how television motion handling and dlss temporal contrast enhancing works.

I did not dismiss them, I asked a question about it. And please do not call me uneducated.

And to please you I will now off course try to turn off game mode on my TV and see if the problem persists.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, OOI said:

Remember to update your drivers.

Thank you. My drivers are up do date.

EDIT: This Edit comes from my Laptop, because when turning off Instant game response for HDMI 1 on my OLED where my PC is connected to, I get as far as the Windows Logo and finito. No desktop.

I am still trying to figure out why, I'll check back again later... grrr...

EDIT2: Back on my PC again, sorry to inform you that I was unable to get to the windows desktop when turning off Instant Game Response on my TV. Giving up on this.

Edited by Pointi1978

Okay well the good news is that DLSS does fix those rendering issues that TAA was needed to fix. A 3070 can pretty much run the game at max settings with DLSS, and still get over 60FPS.

The bad news is that Quality mode DLSS on 1080p does not provide good image quality image whatsoever. Guess I'm sticking with Frame Scaling 1.75 and Medium TAA for now unless Digital Foundry whips up some neat tricks or something.

EDIT: I'm seeing posts on other sites saying that the best way to use DLSS is by using DSR to up your resolution to either 1440p or 4k, and then use DLSS to downsample back to your native resolution. But I don't know enough about DLSS, or what each setting (Auto, Quality, Performance, Ultra Performance) are supposed to equate to in terms of sampling factors. So I'm definitely waiting for DF's video on the breakdown.

Edited by cp1dell
  • Like 2

SWATsqad™
On 7/14/2021 at 2:10 AM, ThirtyIR said:

I don't even see the option for DLSS under settings for me!

Running Windows 11 Pro with the game in Vulkan API and RTX 3090 SLI.

https://imgur.com/GPKY4Ak

https://imgur.com/RA9fwDn

Anyone else not see the option for DLSS? Is DLSS in this game disabled when running SLI (MGPU)?

I removed the dlss dll right after launching the game and the option disappeared so probably some incompatibility. You using rock* launcher or steam? Try putting the dlss file in manually, try the R6 one from techpowerup. 

Otherwise you can try editing your settings.xml and add the quality options as I mentioned in a post on the 2nd page

SWATsqad™
On 7/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, CuteFaceJay said:

Nothing but crashing now qxfoRMy.jpg

Using Vulcan? I think disabling reflection anti aliasing might help.

update: Voicemeeter causes ff errors

Edited by SWATsqad™

On 7/14/2021 at 4:59 AM, cp1dell said:

The bad news is that Quality mode DLSS on 1080p does not provide good image quality image whatsoever.

It's the same with 1440p, with dlss enabled at quality. Produces shimmering on foliage.

4k upscaled with dsr, quality mode dlss and TAA sharpening low. Gives me a nice clear image and hardly any shimmering. Using hardware unboxed graphic settings, and get around 55 - 60fps, Vulkan API.

Specs:

i7 9700k oc'd @4.8ghz

16gb Corsair Vengeance

RTX 2070S

Edited by DEADWOODZ

CuteFaceJay
On 7/14/2021 at 8:41 AM, SWATsqad™ said:

Using Vulcan? I think disabling reflection anti aliasing might help.

Same in V and DX, I don't have VoiceMeeter I don't think or know about but do have Nvidia Broadcaster running in the background for audio reasons. I'll try turning that off see what happens.

So it sucks that they released this, but don't really explain how to use DLSS. Especially if this is your first time playing a game capable of DLSS.

Upon further research, the correct way to use DLSS is set your target resolution whether your monitor is capable of it, or enabling it with DSR. Then, you use DLSS to set what you want the input resolution to be, that will be upscaled to your target resolution. There are some percentages out there, but you can look them up yourself.

Point being, if your target resolution is 4K, and your in-game resolution is set to 4K, this is what you are looking at with each setting:

Quality: 1440p upscaled to 4K

Balanced is 1252p or some weird sh*t upscaled to 4K

Performance is 1080p upscaled to 4K

And if I'm correct, Ultra Performance is 720p upscaled to 4K (eugh)

I'm playing right now with my resolution set to 4K (1080p monitor, so using DSR) and the Performance setting. So the game is actually being rendered at 1080p, and being upscaled to 4K.

And damn does it look good. Knowing how DLSS works and that you're apparently supposed to set a target resolution it's no wonder why the image quality was sh*t when my resolution was set to 1080p. Honestly, the game looks damn good and I don't see myself going back to frame scaling and TAA. Still not max settings with my 3070, but almost everything is, and the image quality is great, and hair and foliage doesn't look like sh*t.

• Like 1

SWATsqad™
On 7/15/2021 at 4:49 AM, cp1dell said:

So it sucks that they released this, but don't really explain how to use DLSS. Especially if this is your first time playing a game capable of DLSS.

Upon further research, the correct way to use DLSS is set your target resolution whether your monitor is capable of it, or enabling it with DSR. Then, you use DLSS to set what you want the input resolution to be, that will be upscaled to your target resolution. There are some percentages out there, but you can look them up yourself.

Point being, if your target resolution is 4K, and your in-game resolution is set to 4K, this is what you are looking at with each setting:

Quality: 1440p upscaled to 4K

Balanced is 1252p or some weird sh*t upscaled to 4K

Performance is 1080p upscaled to 4K

And if I'm correct, Ultra Performance is 720p upscaled to 4K (eugh)

I'm playing right now with my resolution set to 4K (1080p monitor, so using DSR) and the Performance setting. So the game is actually being rendered at 1080p, and being upscaled to 4K.

And damn does it look good. Knowing how DLSS works and that you're apparently supposed to set a target resolution it's no wonder why the image quality was sh*t when my resolution was set to 1080p. Honestly, the game looks damn good and I don't see myself going back to frame scaling and TAA. Still not max settings with my 3070, but almost everything is, and the image quality is great, and hair and foliage doesn't look like sh*t.

Yeah, using DSR factors 2.0 and 4.0 fixes all but the performance :D

Here's a DSR 4.0 image (5120x2160 ultrawide) with quality DLSS, all but water on ultra and still around 45/50 fps

https://postimg.cc/LJyBsLJK

My only issue is that the resolution resets to monitors native, when alt-tabbing. Still looking at dlss and xml tweaks.

Edited by SWATsqad™

CuteFaceJay
On 7/14/2021 at 8:41 AM, SWATsqad™ said:

It didn't crash for an hour while I left it idle and with Nvidia Broadcaster turned off so I think it must be related to audio setup/driver/app configuration.

Edited by CuteFaceJay

On 7/15/2021 at 3:52 AM, SWATsqad™ said:

My only issue is that the resolution resets to monitors native, when alt-tabbing. Still looking at dlss and xml tweaks.

Set your desktop resolution to whatever DSR resolution you’re goi g to be playing at before you launch the game, if you know you’re going to be Alt-Tabbing. I’ve been told that works.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:10 AM, ThirtyIR said:

I don't even see the option for DLSS under settings for me!

Running Windows 11 Pro with the game in Vulkan API and RTX 3090 SLI.

https://imgur.com/GPKY4Ak

https://imgur.com/RA9fwDn

Anyone else not see the option for DLSS? Is DLSS in this game disabled when running SLI (MGPU)?

Exact same issue, no DLSS for Vulkan M-GPU, Windoze 10, hardware in screenshot overlay

GkwB3jX.png

когда включен dlss. трава и деревья начинают мерцать.

Edited by LEXX141

On 7/15/2021 at 10:35 PM, LEXX141 said:

когда включен dlss. трава и деревья начинают мерцать.

I did not understand what he was saying, but that is EXACTLY the Problem I am talking about in my posts above.

Gave up on DLSS. Quality looks like sh*t to me and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I have a RTX 2070 and 1080p 165hz monitor.. if anyone can help me, really appreciate it!

On 7/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, GN 92 said:

Gave up on DLSS. Quality looks like sh*t to me and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I have a RTX 2070 and 1080p 165hz monitor.. if anyone can help me, really appreciate it!

Try upscalling from your native res, i use dsr factors of 2.25x on my 1440p monitor.

SWATsqad™

DSR factor 2 or 4 fixes the temporal flickering. Though dsr is a b1tch to use..

• Best Bru 1

Mexicola9302

In this game DLSS reduces picture quality like in most other DLSS games, it's not like Death Stranding where the picture gets better by using DLSS.

I just tried it out, it doesn't look good, there is clearly more aliasing to be seen if activated, native 2160p is the only way the game looks good, native 1440p already looks bad. DLSS is garbage, it sucks game devs will use it in even more games in the future. It gives them an excuse to just deliver badly optimized games, i don't like where this is going. I mean sure you can get more fps, but the picture always looks bad, even if using Quality setting. Yeah i won't use DLSS in RDR2, it doesn't look good.

Im using this system:

R9 5950x

RTX 3080

32 GB RAM

1 TB M2 SSD NVME

playing on LG OLED B9 55 inch

I’m positive DLSS is meant for a target upscale of 2160p, whether the input is 1080p (Performance) or 1440p (Quality), and I wish Nvidia would just come out and say it.

Having a target of 1440p and an input of 720p (Quality) and expecting to get a good quality image trying to upscale a 1280x720 image, even with AI, is ridiculous. This sh*t isn’t magic and people need to stop pretending it’s supposed to be.

Edited by cp1dell

CuteFaceJay
On 7/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, SWATsqad™ said:

DSR factor 2 or 4 fixes the temporal flickering. Though dsr is a b1tch to use..

Yeah it's a joke when using multi monitor setups.

Spider-Vice

Interesting how the Game Ready driver for RDR2 DLSS only came out now, wonder if that's what was missing to solve some of the issues. Game devs usually have access to developer drivers so... 

nitw_nightmareeyes.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away

Gotta be some optimizations. I haven’t really had any issues with 4K and DLSS set to performance.