3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

NVIDIA announces DLSS support for Red Dead Redemption 2

BS_BlackScout

Spider-Vice

That's kinda odd that it even works, I'd assume not all 2.2 features will work if the game engine of these other games isn't ready for them, but that's interesting. We just have to wait and see what version R* will use for RDR2. Assuming that's probably coming with the RDO DLC or something.

• Like 5

nitw_nightmareeyes.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward for DLSS release with Blood Money update. If it doesn't drop on 13th then for sure it'll take months until next update right? Hotfixing ins't a common rockstar behavior.

Not sure, more than likely it's going to be slyly implemented within the Blood Money update. Or whenever nvidia decide to release, perhaps? Looking forward to this ultra high quality mode, though.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

DLSS will be coming with the new update!

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/9k1o55a5475aka/earn-your-blood-money-across-a-series-of-daring-robberies?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=o_social&utm_campaign=rdo_announcement_bmtrailer-20210707

"As part of the July 13th update, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online on PC will offer NVIDIA DLSS support to all Windows users with eligible NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards. The newly supported feature boosts frame rates and generates beautiful sharp images."

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 7:22 PM, DEADWOODZ said:

DLSS will be coming with the new update!

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/9k1o55a5475aka/earn-your-blood-money-across-a-series-of-daring-robberies?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=o_social&utm_campaign=rdo_announcement_bmtrailer-20210707

"As part of the July 13th update, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online on PC will offer NVIDIA DLSS support to all Windows users with eligible NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards. The newly supported feature boosts frame rates and generates beautiful sharp images."

Was gonna post this haha. 

I can't wait for Digital Foundry's video about it, this is the best thing to happen to RDR2's story mode in a long time!!

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

On 7/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, Orthur said:

I can't wait for Digital Foundry's video about it, this is the best thing to happen to RDR2's story mode in a long time!!

Aye, i'm pretty excited for this. Smooth frame rates here we come!

Currently playing at upscaled 4k using DSR on a 1440p monitor, getting around mid 30s to 40s

2070s and a i7 9700k oc'd @ 4.8ghz, medium to high settings.

Found out 1.50 to 1.75 res scale @ 1440p is more suited for perfomance and still gives off a more sharper image, also for some reason using Vulkan i get less texture bugs and better render distance on objects.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

On 7/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, DEADWOODZ said:

Aye, i'm pretty excited for this. Smooth frame rates here we come!

Currently playing at upscaled 4k using DSR on a 1440p monitor, getting around mid 30s on 2070s and a i7 9700k oc's @ 4.8ghz.

Tbh I'm just excited for the Digital foundry video haha. I play RDR2 on PS4. But it's good news for me either way because I'll be getting a 2060 when the GPU prices drop.

Edited by Orthur

AdamNortonUK

It's great news. I mean I've already perfected my game at 4K for a 75" TV

So hopefully this will just make it look even better without having to make many modifications, I have the settings file backed up more time than I should heh, when I reinstall Windows, I just place the settings file back into the folder before installing the game / running the game so I don't have to set it up each time, plus for times when the game decided it wants to change the settings slightly. 

This should be a tip for everyone, if you have a perfect setup, make sure to backup the settings.xml file from Documents/Rockstar Gamers/RDR2/Settings that would can always place back in place, and make definitely make a backup before July 13th, just in case the update breaks something whilst getting DLSS to work, it will be a time saver at least so you don't need to change every setting again.

I beg to differ, once you witness RDR2 on an ultrawide, there's no going back. Made me realise just how much i miss mine.

DLSS can't be as bad as the current TAA implementation the game has, it's worked wonders for Death Stranding and Cyberpunk. Especially the most recent dlss 2.2.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
  • Best Bru 1

GTA3Rockstar
On 7/10/2021 at 5:43 AM, DEADWOODZ said:

I beg to differ, once you witness RDR2 on an ultrawide, there's no going back. Made me realise just how much i miss mine.

DLSS can't be as bad as the current TAA implementation the game has, it's worked wonders for Death Stranding and Cyberpunk. Especially the most recent dlss 2.2.

Ultrawide is so awesome, I just got mine this year and it's great! 34in curve 3440x1440 144hz

• Best Bru 1

ppNaW16.png

Spider-Vice

Anywhere between 11am and 2pm UK time usually, Red Dead updates kinda vary in time.

• Best Bru 1

nitw_nightmareeyes.png

CuteFaceJay

Can't wait for this. Hope it looks good, This game has so much vegetation that it might end up looking bad with DLSS enabled so I hope that isn't the case.

GTA3Rockstar
On 7/13/2021 at 6:28 AM, SWATsqad™ said:

it's out! I'll post some pics of this dlss thing

You won't see anything in pics really. DLSS is more about rendering the game in a lower res and upscale to a higher res to give you better performance

Edited by GTA3Rockstar

ppNaW16.png

I have 7-8 FPS after this update, usually had between 60-90. Graphics settings stayed the same. If I turn on DLSS it changes nothing

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

CuteFaceJay
On 7/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, WuZiMu_ said:

I have 7-8 FPS after this update, usually had between 60-90. Graphics settings stayed the same. If I turn on DLSS it changes nothing

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

With what grafix API?! Might be worth trying to switch API see if that helps?

SWATsqad™

qh6Cc7v.jpg

Hair looks like ass. other than that great, a 3080 is able to max every setting on 1080x2560 and dlss on quality looks great otherwise. I'll try replacing the dll

update: obviously it won't allow that. Though the dll packed with the game has same version, 2.2.10, though i don't see an ultra quality option

Edited by SWATsqad™

AdamNortonUK
On 7/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, fish1971 said:

im not even seeing the dlss option in dx12 with a 3090 

It should be under the Tessellation Quality setting, if it's still not showing then try removing the cache files from /Documents/Rockstar Game/RDR2/Settings and see if that helps.

Honestly, i would sit tight and wait for Digital Foundry's video for them to get in the nitty-gritty of things.

Spider-Vice

There seems to be a DLSS quality option that is marked as "not showing" in the game options UI files. Try checking your settings.xml to see if it exists there.

nitw_nightmareeyes.png

How does vegetation and soft shadows look? Are the visual bugs present with DSLL—like where Arthur’s hat string shadow or rifle shadow would be multiplied on his back as opposed to the shadow being stretched across the surface, or strange looking foliage? Things that TAA fixed.

On 7/13/2021 at 3:51 PM, CuteFaceJay said:

With what grafix API?! Might be worth trying to switch API see if that helps?

Switching to Vulkan initially didn't work, but then restarting my PC seems to have solved the problem :kekw:

6oXvP76.jpg

foliage seems to be more detailed

too bad you need OUT OF STOCK card to enjoy it

SWATsqad™
On 7/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, Spider-Vice said:

There seems to be a DLSS quality option that is marked as "not showing" in the game options UI files. Try checking your settings.xml to see if it exists there.

There appears to be:

<dlssIndex value="2" />
    <dlssQuality value="2" />

which are the values using quality mode.

Changing to balanced its:

<dlssIndex value="3" />
    <dlssQuality value="1" />

Performance:

<dlssIndex value="4" />
    <dlssQuality value="0" />

Ultra performance:

<dlssIndex value="5" />
    <dlssQuality value="3" />

DLSS off:

<dlssIndex value="0" />
    <dlssQuality value="5" />

Therefore using a substantial proportion of my brainpower I  have changed it to:

<dlssIndex value="1" />
    <dlssQuality value="2" />

but it reverts to the quality mode after closing the game. setting both values to 1, it reverts to balanced mode. setting 1,4 reverts to quality mode.

🎲

Quality mode still looks quite bad in motion. I've tried demonstrating the ghosting issue due to sharpening in motion here: https://we.tl/t-GT7Kgw4y1M  You need a low motion blur screen to see, as the heavy artifacting is mostly visible with ULMB.

here's a cheerful picture of small naked arthur on a horse without dlss

52CijMn.png

Edited by SWATsqad™
  • YEE 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, El Dorado said:

foliage seems to be more detailed

Finally! Some more tweaks to solve other issues and DLSS will probably be my main settings choice for future R* games.

Edited by OOI

Seems to exist some kind of bug when you turn off DLSS without restarting the game, it drops to single digit fps

I don't have a veredict on DLSS yet, some things seems sharper indeed but I can perceive native 4k is better, just can't say why, hair and horse mane is for sure not natural. Maybe TAA on native resolution is more smooth and natural. On smaller screens it should be unnoticeable.